|Nehemiah 5 - Versions
|Nehemiah 5 Text (WEB)
- Then there arose a great cry of the people and of their wives against their brothers the Jews.
- For there were that said, "We, our sons and our daughters, are many. Let us get grain, that we may eat and live."
- Some also there were that said, "We are mortgaging our fields, and our vineyards, and our houses. Let us get grain, because of the famine."
- There were also some who said, "We have borrowed money for the king's tribute using our fields and our vineyards as collateral.
- Yet now our flesh is as the flesh of our brothers, our children as their children. Behold, we bring into bondage our sons and our daughters to be servants, and some of our daughters have been brought into bondage. Neither is it in our power to help it; for other men have our fields and our vineyards."
- I was very angry when I heard their cry and these words.
- Then I consulted with myself, and contended with the nobles and the rulers, and said to them, "You exact usury, everyone of his brother." I held a great assembly against them.
- I said to them, "We, after our ability, have redeemed our brothers the Jews that were sold to the nations; and would you even sell your brothers, and should they be sold to us?" Then they held their peace, and found never a word.
- Also I said, "The thing that you do is not good. Ought you not to walk in the fear of our God, because of the reproach of the nations our enemies?
- I likewise, my brothers and my servants, lend them money and grain. Please let us stop this usury.
- Please restore to them, even this day, their fields, their vineyards, their olive groves, and their houses, also the hundredth part of the money, and of the grain, the new wine, and the oil, that you are charging them."
- Then they said, "We will restore them, and will require nothing of them; so will we do, even as you say." Then I called the priests, and took an oath of them, that they would do according to this promise.
- Also I shook out my lap, and said, "So may God shake out every man from his house, and from his labor, that doesn't perform this promise; even thus be he shaken out, and emptied." All the assembly said, "Amen," and praised Yahweh. The people did according to this promise.
- Moreover from the time that I was appointed to be their governor in the land of Judah, from the twentieth year even to the two and thirtieth year of Artaxerxes the king, [that is], twelve years, I and my brothers have not eaten the bread of the governor.
- But the former governors who were before me were supported by the people, and took bread and wine from them, besides forty shekels of silver; yes, even their servants ruled over the people: but I didn't do so, because of the fear of God.
- Yes, also I continued in the work of this wall, neither bought we any land: and all my servants were gathered there to the work.
- Moreover there were at my table, of the Jews and the rulers, one hundred fifty men, besides those who came to us from among the nations that were around us.
- Now that which was prepared for one day was one ox and six choice sheep; also fowls were prepared for me, and once in ten days store of all sorts of wine: yet for all this I didn't demand the bread of the governor, because the bondage was heavy on this people.
- Remember to me, my God, for good, all that I have done for this people.
|Nehemiah 5 Text (Hebrew)
- ותהי צעקת העם ונשיהם גדולה אל־אחיהם היהודים׃
- ויש אשר אמרים בנינו ובנתינו אנחנו רבים ונקחה דגן ונאכלה ונחיה׃
- ויש אשר אמרים שדתינו וכרמינו ובתינו אנחנו ערבים ונקחה דגן ברעב׃
- ויש אשר אמרים לוינו כסף למדת המלך שדתינו וכרמינו׃
- ועתה כבשר אחינו בשרנו כבניהם בנינו והנה אנחנו כבשים את־בנינו ואת־בנתינו לעבדים ויש מבנתינו נכבשות ואין לאל ידנו ושדתינו וכרמינו לאחרים׃
- ויחר לי מאד כאשר שמעתי את־זעקתם ואת הדברים האלה׃
- וימלך לבי עלי ואריבה את־החרים ואת־הסגנים ואמרה להם משא איש־באחיו אתם נשאים ואתן עליהם קהלה גדולה׃
- ואמרה להם אנחנו קנינו את־אחינו היהודים הנמכרים לגוים כדי בנו וגם־אתם תמכרו את־אחיכם ונמכרו־לנו ויחרישו ולא מצאו דבר׃ ס
- לא־טוב הדבר אשר־אתם עשים הלוא ביראת אלהינו תלכו מחרפת הגוים אויבינו׃
- וגם־אני אחי ונערי נשים בהם כסף ודגן נעזבה־נא את־המשא הזה׃
- השיבו נא להם כהיום שדתיהם כרמיהם זיתיהם ובתיהם ומאת הכסף והדגן התירוש והיצהר אשר אתם נשים בהם׃
- ויאמרו נשיב ומהם לא נבקש כן נעשה כאשר אתה אומר ואקרא את־הכהנים ואשביעם לעשות כדבר הזה׃
- גם־חצני נערתי ואמרה ככה ינער האלהים את־כל־האיש אשר לא־יקים את־הדבר הזה מביתו ומיגיעו וככה יהיה נעור ורק ויאמרו כל־הקהל אמן ויהללו את־יהוה ויעש העם כדבר הזה׃
- גם מיום אשר־צוה אתי להיות פחם בארץ יהודה משנת עשרים ועד שנת שלשים ושתים לארתחשסתא המלך שנים שתים עשרה אני ואחי לחם הפחה לא אכלתי׃
- והפחות הראשנים אשר־לפני הכבידו על־העם ויקחו מהם בלחם ויין אחר כסף־שקלים ארבעים גם נעריהם שלטו על־העם ואני לא־עשיתי כן מפני יראת אלהים׃
- וגם במלאכת החומה הזאת החזקתי ושדה לא קנינו וכל־נערי קבוצים שם על־המלאכה׃
- והיהודים והסגנים מאה וחמשים איש והבאים אלינו מן־הגוים אשר־סביבתינו על־שלחני׃
- ואשר היה נעשה ליום אחד שור אחד צאן שש־בררות וצפרים נעשו־לי ובין עשרת ימים בכל־יין להרבה ועם־זה לחם הפחה לא בקשתי כי־כבדה העבדה על־העם הזה׃
- זכרה־לי אלהי לטובה כל אשר־עשיתי על־העם הזה׃ ף
|Nehemiah 5 Text (Latin)
- Et factus est clamor populi et uxorum ejus magnus adversus fratres suos Judæos.
- Et erant qui dicerent : Filii nostri et filiæ nostræ multæ sunt nimis : accipiamus pro pretio eorum frumentum, et comedamus, et vivamus.
- Et erant qui dicerent : Agros nostros, et vineas, et domus nostras opponamus, et accipiamus frumentum in fame.
- Et alii dicebant : Mutuo sumamus pecunias in tributa regis, demusque agros nostros et vineas :
- et nunc sicut carnes fratrum nostrorum, sic carnes nostræ sunt : et sicut filii eorum, ita et filii nostri : ecce nos subjugamus filios nostros et filias nostras in servitutem, et de filiabus nostris sunt famulæ, nec habemus unde possint redimi, et agros nostros et vineas nostras alii possident.
- Et iratus sum nimis cum audissem clamorem eorum secundum verba hæc :
- cogitavique cor meum mecum : et increpavi optimates et magistratus, et dixi eis : Usurasne singuli a fratribus vestris exigitis ? Et congregavi adversum eos concionem magnam,
- et dixi eis : Nos, ut scitis, redemimus fratres nostros Judæos, qui venditi fuerant gentibus secundum possibilitatem nostram : et vos igitur vendetis fratres vestros, et redimemus eos ? Et siluerunt, nec invenerunt quid responderent.
- Dixique ad eos : Non est bona res, quam facitis : quare non in timore Dei nostri ambulastis, ne exprobretur nobis a gentibus inimicis nostris ?
- Et ego, et fratres mei, et pueri mei commodavimus plurimis pecuniam et frumentum : non repetamus in commune istud, æs alienum concedamus, quod debetur nobis.
- Reddite eis hodie agros suos, et vineas suas, et oliveta sua, et domos suas : quin potius et centesimum pecuniæ, frumenti, vini et olei, quam exigere soletis ab eis, date pro illis.
- Et dixerunt : Reddemus, et ab eis nihil quæremus : sicque faciemus ut loqueris. Et vocavi sacerdotes, et adjuravi eos ut facerent juxta quod dixeram.
- Insuper excussi sinum meum, et dixi : Sic excutiat Deus omnem virum, qui non compleverit verbum istud, de domo sua, et de laboribus suis : sic excutiatur, et vacuus fiat. Et dixit universa multitudo : Amen : et laudaverunt Deum. Fecit ergo populus sicut erat dictum.
- A die autem illa, qua præceperat rex mihi ut essem dux in terra Juda, ab anno vigesimo usque ad annum trigesimum secundum Artaxerxis regis per annos duodecim, ego et fratres mei annonas, quæ ducibus debebantur, non comedimus.
- Duces autem primi, qui fuerant ante me, gravaverunt populum, et acceperunt ab eis in pane, et vino, et pecunia, quotidie siclos quadraginta : sed et ministri eorum depresserunt populum. Ego autem non feci ita propter timorem Dei :
- quin potius in opere muri ædificavi, et agrum non emi, et omnes pueri mei congregati ad opus erant.
- Judæi quoque et magistratus centum quinquaginta viri, et qui veniebant ad nos de gentibus, quæ in circuitu nostro sunt, in mensa mea erant.
- Parabatur autem mihi per dies singulos bos unus, arietes sex electi, exceptis volatilibus, et inter dies decem vina diversa, et alia multa tribuebam : insuper et annonas ducatus mei non quæsivi : valde enim attenuatus erat populus.
- Memento mei, Deus meus, in bonum secundum omnia quæ feci populo huic.
|Nehemiah 5 Text (KJV)
- And there was a great cry of the people and of their wives against their brethren the Jews.
- For there were that said, We, our sons, and our daughters, are many: therefore we take up corn for them, that we may eat, and live.
- Some also there were that said, We have mortgaged our lands, vineyards, and houses, that we might buy corn, because of the dearth.
- There were also that said, We have borrowed money for the king's tribute, and that upon our lands and vineyards.
- Yet now our flesh is as the flesh of our brethren, our children as their children: and, lo, we bring into bondage our sons and our daughters to be servants, and some of our daughters are brought unto bondage already: neither is it in our power to redeem them; for other men have our lands and vineyards.
- And I was very angry when I heard their cry and these words.
- Then I consulted with myself, and I rebuked the nobles, and the rulers, and said unto them, Ye exact usury, every one of his brother. And I set a great assembly against them.
- And I said unto them, We after our ability have redeemed our brethren the Jews, which were sold unto the heathen; and will ye even sell your brethren? or shall they be sold unto us? Then held they their peace, and found nothing to answer.
- Also I said, It is not good that ye do: ought ye not to walk in the fear of our God because of the reproach of the heathen our enemies?
- I likewise, and my brethren, and my servants, might exact of them money and corn: I pray you, let us leave off this usury.
- Restore, I pray you, to them, even this day, their lands, their vineyards, their oliveyards, and their houses, also the the hundredth part of the money, and of the corn, the wine, and the oil, that ye exact of them.
- Then said they, We will restore them, and will require nothing of them; so will we do as thou sayest. Then I called the priests, and took an oath of them, that they should do according to this promise.
- Also I shook my lap, and said, So God shake out every man from his house, and from his labour, that performeth not this promise, even thus be he shaken out, and emptied. And all the congregation said, Amen, and praised the LORD. And the people did according to this promise.
- Moreover from the time that I was appointed to be their governor in the land of Judah, from the twentieth year even unto the two and thirtieth year of Artaxerxes the king, that is, twelve years, I and my brethren have not eaten the bread of the governor.
- But the former governors that had been before me were chargeable unto the people, and had taken of them bread and wine, beside forty shekels of silver; yea, even their servants bare rule over the people: but so did not I, because of the fear of God.
- Yea, also I continued in the work of this wall, neither bought we any land: and all my servants were gathered thither unto the work.
- Moreover there were at my table an hundred and fifty of the Jews and rulers, beside those that came unto us from among the heathen that are about us.
- Now that which was prepared for me daily was one ox and six choice sheep; also fowls were prepared for me, and once in ten days store of all sorts of wine: yet for all this required not I the bread of the governor, because the bondage was heavy upon this people.
- Think upon me, my God, for good, according to all that I have done for this people.