|Joshua 9 - Versions
|Joshua 9 Text (WEB)
- It happened, when all the kings who were beyond the Jordan, in the hill country, and in the lowland, and on all the shore of the great sea in front of Lebanon, the Hittite, the Amorite, the Canaanite, the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite, heard of it
- that they gathered themselves together to fight with Joshua and with Israel, with one accord.
- But when the inhabitants of Gibeon heard what Joshua had done to Jericho and to Ai,
- they also resorted to a ruse, and went and made as if they had been ambassadors, and took old sacks on their donkeys, and wineskins, old and torn and bound up,
- and old and patched shoes on their feet, and wore old garments. All the bread of their provision was dry and moldy.
- They went to Joshua to the camp at Gilgal, and said to him, and to the men of Israel, "We have come from a far country. Now therefore make a covenant with us."
- The men of Israel said to the Hivites, "What if you live among us. How could we make a covenant with you?"
- They said to Joshua, "We are your servants." Joshua said to them, "Who are you? Where do you come from?"
- They said to him, "Your servants have come from a very far country because of the name of Yahweh your God; for we have heard of his fame, all that he did in Egypt,
- and all that he did to the two kings of the Amorites who were beyond the Jordan, to Sihon king of Heshbon and to Og king of Bashan, who was at Ashtaroth.
- Our elders and all the inhabitants of our country spoke to us, saying, 'Take provision in your hand for the journey, and go to meet them, and tell them, "We are your servants. Now make a covenant with us."'
- This our bread we took hot for our provision out of our houses on the day we went out to go to you; but now, behold, it is dry, and has become moldy.
- These wineskins, which we filled, were new; and behold, they are torn. These our garments and our shoes have become old because of the very long journey."
- The men sampled their provisions, and didn't ask counsel from the mouth of Yahweh.
- Joshua made peace with them, and made a covenant with them, to let them live. The princes of the congregation swore to them.
- It happened at the end of three days after they had made a covenant with them, that they heard that they were their neighbors, and that they lived among them.
- The children of Israel traveled and came to their cities on the third day. Now their cities were Gibeon, Chephirah, Beeroth, and Kiriath Jearim.
- The children of Israel didn't strike them, because the princes of the congregation had sworn to them by Yahweh, the God of Israel. All the congregation murmured against the princes.
- But all the princes said to all the congregation, "We have sworn to them by Yahweh, the God of Israel: now therefore we may not touch them.
- This we will do to them, and let them live; lest wrath be on us, because of the oath which we swore to them."
- The princes said to them, "Let them live, so they became wood cutters and drawers of water for all the congregation, as the princes had spoken to them."
- Joshua called for them, and he spoke to them, saying, "Why have you deceived us, saying, 'We are very far from you,' when you live among us?
- Now therefore you are cursed, and some of you will never fail to be bondservants, both wood cutters and drawers of water for the house of my God."
- They answered Joshua, and said, "Because your servants were certainly told how Yahweh your God commanded his servant Moses to give you all the land, and to destroy all the inhabitants of the land from before you. Therefore we were very afraid for our lives because of you, and have done this thing.
- Now, behold, we are in your hand. Do to us as it seems good and right to you to do."
- He did so to them, and delivered them out of the hand of the children of Israel, so that they didn't kill them.
- That day Joshua made them wood cutters and drawers of water for the congregation and for the altar of Yahweh, to this day, in the place which he should choose.
|Joshua 9 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי כשמע כל־המלכים אשר בעבר הירדן בהר ובשפלה ובכל חוף הים הגדול אל־מול הלבנון החתי והאמרי הכנעני הפרזי החוי והיבוסי׃
- ויתקבצו יחדו להלחם עם־יהושע ועם־ישראל פה אחד׃ ף
- וישבי גבעון שמעו את אשר עשה יהושע ליריחו ולעי׃
- ויעשו גם־המה בערמה וילכו ויצטירו ויקחו שקים בלים לחמוריהם ונאדות יין בלים ומבקעים ומצררים׃
- ונעלות בלות ומטלאות ברגליהם ושלמות בלות עליהם וכל לחם צידם יבש היה נקדים׃
- וילכו אל־יהושע אל־המחנה הגלגל ויאמרו אליו ואל־איש ישראל מארץ רחוקה באנו ועתה כרתו־לנו ברית׃
- איש־ישראל אל־החוי אולי בקרבי אתה יושב ואיך ־לך ברית׃
- ויאמרו אל־יהושע עבדיך אנחנו ויאמר אלהם יהושע מי אתם ומאין תבאו׃
- ויאמרו אליו מארץ רחוקה מאד באו עבדיך לשם יהוה אלהיך כי־שמענו שמעו ואת כל־אשר עשה במצרים׃
- ואת כל־אשר עשה לשני מלכי האמרי אשר בעבר הירדן לסיחון מלך חשבון ולעוג מלך־הבשן אשר בעשתרות׃
- ויאמרו אלינו זקינינו וכל־ישבי ארצנו לאמר קחו בידכם צידה לדרך ולכו לקראתם ואמרתם אליהם עבדיכם אנחנו ועתה כרתו־לנו ברית׃
- זה לחמנו חם הצטידנו אתו מבתינו ביום צאתנו ללכת אליכם ועתה הנה יבש והיה נקדים׃
- ואלה נאדות היין אשר מלאנו חדשים והנה התבקעו ואלה שלמותינו ונעלינו בלו מרב הדרך מאד׃
- ויקחו האנשים מצידם ואת־פי יהוה לא שאלו׃
- ויעש להם יהושע שלום ויכרת להם ברית לחיותם וישבעו להם נשיאי העדה׃
- ויהי מקצה שלשת ימים אחרי אשר־כרתו להם ברית וישמעו כי־קרבים הם אליו ובקרבו הם ישבים׃
- ויסעו בני־ישראל ויבאו אל־עריהם ביום השלישי ועריהם גבעון והכפירה ובארות וקרית יערים׃
- ולא הכום בני ישראל כי־נשבעו להם נשיאי העדה ביהוה אלהי ישראל וילנו כל־העדה על־הנשיאים׃
- ויאמרו כל־הנשיאים אל־כל־העדה אנחנו נשבענו להם ביהוה אלהי ישראל ועתה לא נוכל לנגע בהם׃
- זאת נעשה להם והחיה אותם ולא־יהיה עלינו קצף על־השבועה אשר־נשבענו להם׃
- ויאמרו אליהם הנשיאים יחיו ויהיו חטבי עצים ושאבי־מים לכל־העדה כאשר דברו להם הנשיאים׃
- ויקרא להם יהושע וידבר אליהם לאמר למה רמיתם אתנו לאמר רחוקים אנחנו םכם מאד ואתם בקרבנו ישבים׃
- ועתה ארורים אתם ולא־יכרת םכם עבד וחטבי עצים ושאבי־מים לבית אלהי׃
- ויענו את־יהושע ויאמרו כי הגד הגד לעבדיך את אשר צוה יהוה אלהיך את־משה עבדו לתת לכם את־כל־הארץ ולהשמיד את־כל־ישבי הארץ מפניכם ונירא מאד לנפשתינו מפניכם ונעשה את־הדבר הזה׃
- ועתה הננו בידך כטוב וכישר בעיניך לעשות לנו עשה׃
- ויעש להם כן ויצל אותם מיד בני־ישראל ולא הרגום׃
- ויתנם יהושע ביום ההוא חטבי עצים ושאבי מים לעדה ולמזבח יהוה עד־היום הזה אל־המקום אשר יבחר׃ ף
|Joshua 9 Text (Latin)
- Quibus auditis, cuncti reges trans Jordanem, qui versabantur in montanis et campestribus, in maritimis ac littore magni maris, hi quoque qui habitabant juxta Libanum, Hethæus et Amorrhæus, Chananæus, Pherezæus, et Hevæus, et Jebusæus,
- congregati sunt pariter, ut pugnarent contra Josue et Israël uno animo, eademque sententia.
- At hi qui habitabant in Gabaon, audientes cuncta quæ fecerat Josue Jericho, et Hai,
- et callide cogitantes, tulerunt sibi cibaria, saccos veteres asinis imponentes, et utres vinarios scissos atque consutos,
- calceamentaque perantiqua quæ ad indicium vetustatis pittaciis consuta erant, induti veteribus vestimentis : panes quoque, quos portabant ob viaticum, duri erant, et in frustra comminuti :
- perrexeruntque ad Josue, qui tunc morabatur in castris Galgalæ, et dixerunt ei, atque simul omni Israëli : De terra longinqua venimus, pacem vobiscum facere cupientes. Responderuntque viri Israël ad eos, atque dixerunt :
- Ne forte in terra, quæ nobis sorte debetur, habitetis, et non possimus fœdus inire vobiscum.
- At illi ad Josue : Servi, inquiunt, tui sumus. Quibus Josue ait : Quinam estis vos ? et unde venistis ?
- Responderunt : De terra longinqua valde venerunt servi tui in nomine Domini Dei tui. Audivimus enim famam potentiæ ejus, cuncta quæ fecit in Ægypto,
- et duobus regibus Amorrhæorum qui fuerunt trans Jordanem, Sehon regi Hesebon, et Og regi Basan, qui erat in Astaroth :
- dixeruntque nobis seniores, et omnes habitatores terræ nostræ : Tollite in manibus cibaria ob longissimam viam, et occurrite eis, et dicite : Servi vestri sumus : fœdus inite nobiscum.
- En panes quando egressi sumus de domibus nostris, ut veniremus ad vos, calidos sumpsimus, nunc sicci facti sunt, et vetustate nimia comminuti.
- Utres vini novos implevimus, nunc rupti sunt et soluti. Vestes et calceamenta quibus induimur, et quæ habemus in pedibus, ob longitudinem longioris viæ trita sunt, et pene consumpta.
- Susceperunt igitur de cibariis eorum, et os Domini non interrogaverunt.
- Fecitque Josue cum eis pacem, et inito fœdere pollicitus est quod non occiderentur : principes quoque multitudinis juraverunt eis.
- Post dies autem tres initi fœderis, audierunt quod in vicino habitarent, et inter eos futuri essent.
- Moveruntque castra filii Israël, et venerunt in civitates eorum die tertio, quarum hæc vocabua sunt, Gabaon, et Caphira, et Beroth, et Cariathiarim.
- Et non percusserunt eos, eo quod jurassent eis principes multitudinis in nomine Domini Dei Israël. Murmuravit itaque omne vulgus contra principes.
- Qui responderunt eis : Juravimus illis in nomine Domini Dei Israël, et idcirco non possumus eos contingere.
- Sed hoc faciemus eis : reserventur quidem ut vivant, ne contra nos ira Domini concitetur, si pejeraverimus :
- sed sic vivant, ut in usus universæ multitudinis ligna cædant, aquasque comportent. Quibus hæc loquentibus,
- vocavit Gabaonitas Josue, et dixit eis : Cur nos decipere fraude voluistis, ut diceretis : Procul valde habitamus a vobis, cum in medio nostri sitis ?
- itaque sub maledictione eritis, et non deficiet de stirpe vestra ligna cædens, aquasque comportans in domum Dei mei.
- Qui responderunt : Nuntiatum est nobis servis tuis, quod promisisset Dominus Deus tuus Moysi servo suo ut traderet vobis omnem terram, et disperderet cunctos habitatores ejus. Timuimus igitur valde, et providimus animabus nostris, vestro terrore compulsi, et hoc consilium inivimus.
- Nunc autem in manu tua sumus : quod tibi bonum et rectum videtur, fac nobis.
- Fecit ergo Josue ut dixerat, et liberavit eos de manu filiorum Israël, ut non occiderentur.
- Decrevitque in illo die eos esse in ministerio cuncti populi, et altaris Domini, cædentes ligna, et aquas comportantes, usque in præsens tempus, in loco quem Dominus elegisset.
|Joshua 9 Text (KJV)
- And it came to pass, when all the kings which were on this side Jordan, in the hills, and in the valleys, and in all the coasts of the great sea over against Lebanon, the Hittite, and the Amorite, the Canaanite, the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite, heard thereof;
- That they gathered themselves together, to fight with Joshua and with Israel, with one accord.
- And when the inhabitants of Gibeon heard what Joshua had done unto Jericho and to Ai,
- They did work wilily, and went and made as if they had been ambassadors, and took old sacks upon their asses, and wine bottles, old, and rent, and bound up;
- And old shoes and clouted upon their feet, and old garments upon them; and all the bread of their provision was dry and mouldy.
- And they went to Joshua unto the camp at Gilgal, and said unto him, and to the men of Israel, We be come from a far country: now therefore make ye a league with us.
- And the men of Israel said unto the Hivites, Peradventure ye dwell among us; and how shall we make a league with you?
- And they said unto Joshua, We are thy servants. And Joshua said unto them, Who are ye? and from whence come ye?
- And they said unto him, From a very far country thy servants are come because of the name of the LORD thy God: for we have heard the fame of him, and all that he did in Egypt,
- And all that he did to the two kings of the Amorites, that were beyond Jordan, to Sihon king of Heshbon, and to Og king of Bashan, which was at Ashtaroth.
- Wherefore our elders and all the inhabitants of our country spake to us, saying, Take victuals with you for the journey, and go to meet them, and say unto them, We are your servants: therefore now make ye a league with us.
- This our bread we took hot for our provision out of our houses on the day we came forth to go unto you; but now, behold, it is dry, and it is mouldy:
- And these bottles of wine, which we filled, were new; and, behold, they be rent: and these our garments and our shoes are become old by reason of the very long journey.
- And the men took of their victuals, and asked not counsel at the mouth of the LORD.
- And Joshua made peace with them, and made a league with them, to let them live: and the princes of the congregation sware unto them.
- And it came to pass at the end of three days after they had made a league with them, that they heard that they were their neighbours, and that they dwelt among them.
- And the children of Israel journeyed, and came unto their cities on the third day. Now their cities were Gibeon, and Chephirah, and Beeroth, and Kirjath-jearim.
- And the children of Israel smote them not, because the princes of the congregation had sworn unto them by the LORD God of Israel. And all the congregation murmured against the princes.
- But all the princes said unto all the congregation, We have sworn unto them by the LORD God of Israel: now therefore we may not touch them.
- This we will do to them; we will even let them live, lest wrath be upon us, because of the oath which we sware unto them.
- And the princes said unto them, Let them live; but let them be hewers of wood and drawers of water unto all the congregation; as the princes had promised them.
- And Joshua called for them, and he spake unto them, saying, Wherefore have ye beguiled us, saying, We are very far from you; when ye dwell among us?
- Now therefore ye are cursed, and there shall none of you be freed from being bondmen, and hewers of wood and drawers of water for the house of my God.
- And they answered Joshua, and said, Because it was certainly told thy servants, how that the LORD thy God commanded his servant Moses to give you all the land, and to destroy all the inhabitants of the land from before you, therefore we were sore afraid of our lives because of you, and have done this thing.
- And now, behold, we are in thine hand: as it seemeth good and right unto thee to do unto us, do.
- And so did he unto them, and delivered them out of the hand of the children of Israel, that they slew them not.
- And Joshua made them that day hewers of wood and drawers of water for the congregation, and for the altar of the LORD, even unto this day, in the place which he should choose.