|Nehemiah 9 - Versions
|Nehemiah 9 Text (WEB)
- Now in the twenty-fourth day of this month the children of Israel were assembled with fasting, and with sackcloth, and earth on them.
- The seed of Israel separated themselves from all foreigners, and stood and confessed their sins, and the iniquities of their fathers.
- They stood up in their place, and read in the book of the law of Yahweh their God a fourth part of the day; and [another] fourth part they confessed, and worshiped Yahweh their God.
- Then stood up on the stairs of the Levites, Jeshua, and Bani, Kadmiel, Shebaniah, Bunni, Sherebiah, Bani, [and] Chenani, and cried with a loud voice to Yahweh their God.
- Then the Levites, Jeshua, and Kadmiel, Bani, Hashabneiah, Sherebiah, Hodiah, Shebaniah, [and] Pethahiah, said, "Stand up and bless Yahweh your God from everlasting to everlasting! Bessed be your glorious name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise!
- You are Yahweh, even you alone. You have made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their army, the earth and all things that are on it, the seas and all that is in them, and you preserve them all. The army of heaven worships you.
- You are Yahweh, the God who chose Abram, and brought him out of Ur of the Chaldees, and gave him the name of Abraham,
- and found his heart faithful before you, and made a covenant with him to give the land of the Canaanite, the Hittite, the Amorite, and the Perizzite, and the Jebusite, and the Girgashite, to give it to his seed, and have performed your words; for you are righteous.
- "You saw the affliction of our fathers in Egypt, and heard their cry by the Red Sea,
- and showed signs and wonders against Pharaoh, and against all his servants, and against all the people of his land; for you knew that they dealt proudly against them, and made a name for yourself, as it is this day.
- You divided the sea before them, so that they went through the midst of the sea on the dry land; and you cast their pursuers into the depths, as a stone into the mighty waters.
- Moreover, in a pillar of cloud you led them by day; and in a pillar of fire by night, to give them light in the way in which they should go.
- "You came down also on Mount Sinai, and spoke with them from heaven, and gave them right ordinances and true laws, good statutes and commandments,
- and made known to them your holy Sabbath, and commanded them commandments, and statutes, and a law, by Moses your servant,
- and gave them bread from the sky for their hunger, and brought forth water for them out of the rock for their thirst, and commanded them that they should go in to possess the land which you had sworn to give them.
- "But they and our fathers dealt proudly and hardened their neck, didn't listen to your commandments,
- and refused to obey, neither were they mindful of your wonders that you did among them, but hardened their neck, and in their rebellion appointed a captain to return to their bondage. But you are a God ready to pardon, gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abundant in loving kindness, and didn't forsake them.
- Yes, when they had made them a molten calf, and said, 'This is your God who brought you up out of Egypt,' and had committed awful blasphemies;
- yet you in your manifold mercies didn't forsake them in the wilderness: the pillar of cloud didn't depart from over them by day, to lead them in the way; neither the pillar of fire by night, to show them light, and the way in which they should go.
- You gave also your good Spirit to instruct them, and didn't withhold your manna from their mouth, and gave them water for their thirst.
- "Yes, forty years you sustained them in the wilderness. They lacked nothing. Their clothes didn't grow old, and their feet didn't swell.
- Moreover you gave them kingdoms and peoples, which you allotted according to their portions. So they possessed the land of Sihon, even the land of the king of Heshbon, and the land of Og king of Bashan.
- You also multiplied their children as the stars of the sky, and brought them into the land concerning which you said to their fathers, that they should go in to possess it.
- "So the children went in and possessed the land, and you subdued before them the inhabitants of the land, the Canaanites, and gave them into their hands, with their kings, and the peoples of the land, that they might do with them as they pleased.
- They took fortified cities, and a rich land, and possessed houses full of all good things, cisterns dug out, vineyards, and olive groves, and fruit trees in abundance. So they ate, were filled, became fat, and delighted themselves in your great goodness.
- "Nevertheless they were disobedient, and rebelled against you, and cast your law behind their back, and killed your prophets that testified against them to turn them again to you, and they committed awful blasphemies.
- Therefore you delivered them into the hand of their adversaries, who distressed them. In the time of their trouble, when they cried to you, you heard from heaven; and according to your manifold mercies you gave them saviors who saved them out of the hand of their adversaries.
- But after they had rest, they did evil again before you; therefore left you them in the hand of their enemies, so that they had the dominion over them; yet when they returned, and cried to you, you heard from heaven; and many times you delivered them according to your mercies,
- and testified against them, that you might bring them again to your law. Yet they dealt proudly, and didn't listen to your commandments, but sinned against your ordinances, (which if a man does, he shall live in them), turned their backs, stiffened their neck, and would not hear.
- Yet many years you put up with them, and testified against them by your Spirit through your prophets. Yet would they not give ear. Therefore you gave them into the hand of the peoples of the lands.
- "Nevertheless in your manifold mercies you did not make a full end of them, nor forsake them; for you are a gracious and merciful God.
- Now therefore, our God, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God, who keeps covenant and loving kindness, don't let all the travail seem little before you, that has come on us, on our kings, on our princes, and on our priests, and on our prophets, and on our fathers, and on all your people, since the time of the kings of Assyria to this day.
- However you are just in all that is come on us; for you have dealt truly, but we have done wickedly;
- neither have our kings, our princes, our priests, nor our fathers, kept your law, nor listened to your commandments and your testimonies with which you testified against them.
- For they have not served you in their kingdom, and in your great goodness that you gave them, and in the large and rich land which you gave before them, neither did they turn from their wicked works.
- "Behold, we are servants this day, and as for the land that you gave to our fathers to eat its fruit and its good, behold, we are servants in it.
- It yields much increase to the kings whom you have set over us because of our sins: also they have power over our bodies, and over our livestock, at their pleasure, and we are in great distress.
- Yet for all this, we make a sure covenant, and write it; and our princes, our Levites, [and] our priests, seal to it."
|Nehemiah 9 Text (Hebrew)
- וביום עשרים וארבעה לחדש הזה נאספו בני־ישראל בצום ובשקים ואדמה עליהם׃
- ויבדלו זרע ישראל מכל בני נכר ויעמדו ויתודו על־חטאתיהם ועונות אבתיהם׃
- ויקומו על־עמדם ויקראו בספר תורת יהוה אלהיהם רבעית היום ורבעית מתודים ומשתחוים ליהוה אלהיהם׃ ף
- ויקם על־מעלה הלוים ישוע ובני קדמיאל שבניה בני שרביה בני כנני ויזעקו בקול גדול אל־יהוה אלהיהם׃
- ויאמרו הלוים ישוע וקדמיאל בני חשבניה שרביה הודיה שבניה פתחיה קומו ברכו את־יהוה אלהיכם מן־העולם עד־העולם ויברכו שם כבודך ומרוםם על־כל־ברכה ותהלה׃
- אתה־הוא יהוה לבדך עשית את־השמים שמי השמים וכל־צבאם הארץ וכל־אשר עליה הימים וכל־אשר בהם ואתה מחיה את־כלם וצבא השמים לך משתחוים׃
- אתה־הוא יהוה האלהים אשר בחרת באברם והוצאתו מאור כשדים ושמת שמו אברהם׃
- ומצאת את־לבבו נאמן לפניך וכרות עמו הברית לתת את־ארץ הכנעני החתי האמרי והפרזי והיבוסי והגרגשי לתת לזרעו ותקם את־דבריך כי צדיק אתה׃
- ותרא את־עני אבתינו במצרים ואת־זעקתם שמעת על־ים־סוף׃
- ותתן אתת ומפתים בפרעה ובכל־עבדיו ובכל־עם ארצו כי ידעת כי הזידו עליהם ותעש־לך שם כהיום הזה׃
- והים בקעת לפניהם ויעברו בתוך־הים ביבשה ואת־רדפיהם השלכת במצולת כמו־אבן במים עזים׃
- ובעמוד עןן הנחיתם יוםם ובעמוד אש לילה להאיר להם את־הדרך אשר ילכו־בה׃
- ועל הר־סיני ירדת ודבר עמהם משמים ותתן להם משפטים ישרים ותורות אמת חקים ומצות טובים׃
- ואת־שבת קדשך הודעת להם ומצוות וחקים ותורה צוית להם ביד משה עבדך׃
- ולחם משמים נתתה להם לרעבם ומים מסלע הוצאת להם לצמאם ותאמר להם לבוא לרשת את־הארץ אשר־נשאת את־ידך לתת להם׃
- והם ואבתינו הזידו ויקשו את־ערפם ולא שמעו אל־מצותיך׃
- וימאנו לשמע ולא־זכרו נפלאתיך אשר עשית עמהם ויקשו את־ערפם ויתנו־ראש לשוב לעבדתם במרים ואתה אלוה סליחות חנון ורחום ארך־אפים ורב־ ולא עזבתם׃
- אף כי־עשו להם עגל מסכה ויאמרו זה אלהיך אשר העלך ממצרים ויעשו נאצות גדלות׃
- ואתה ברחמיך הרבים לא עזבתם במדבר את־עמוד העןן לא־סר מעליהם ביוםם להנחתם בהדרך ואת־עמוד האש בלילה להאיר להם ואת־הדרך אשר ילכו־בה׃
- ורוחך הטובה נתת להשכילם ומנך לא־מנעת מפיהם ומים נתתה להם לצמאם׃
- וארבעים שנה כלכלתם במדבר לא חסרו שלמתיהם לא בלו ורגליהם לא בצקו׃
- ותתן להם ממלכות ועממים ותחלקם לפאה ויירשו את־ארץ סיחון ואת־ארץ מלך חשבון ואת־ארץ עוג מלך־הבשן׃
- ובניהם הרבית כככבי השמים ותביאם אל־הארץ אשר־אמרת לאבתיהם לבוא לרשת׃
- ויבאו הבנים ויירשו את־הארץ ותכנע לפניהם את־ישבי הארץ הכנענים ותתנם בידם ואת־מלכיהם ואת־עממי הארץ לעשות בהם כרצונם׃
- וילכדו ערים בצרות ואדמה שמנה ויירשו בתים מלאים־כל־טוב ברות חצובים כרמים וזיתים ועץ מאכל לרב ויאכלו וישבעו וישמינו ויתעדנו בטובך הגדול׃
- וימרו וימרדו בך וישלכו את־תורתך אחרי גום ואת־נביאיך הרגו אשר־העידו בם להשיבם אליך ויעשו נאצות גדולת׃
- ותתנם ביד צריהם ויצרו להם ובעת צרתם יצעקו אליך ואתה משמים תשמע וכרחמיך הרבים תתן להם מושיעים ויושיעום מיד צריהם׃
- וכנוח להם ישובו לעשות רע לפניך ותעזבם ביד איביהם וירדו בהם וישובו ויזעקוך ואתה משמים תשמע ותצילם כרחמיך רבות עתים׃
- ותעד בהם להשיבם אל־תורתך והמה הזידו ולא־שמעו למצותיך ובמשפטיך חטאו־בם אשר־יעשה אדם וחיה בהם ויתנו כתף סוררת וערפם הקשו ולא שמעו׃
- ותמשך עליהם שנים רבות ותעד בם ברוחך ביד־נביאיך ולא האזינו ותתנם ביד עמי הארצת׃
- וברחמיך הרבים לא־עשיתם כלה ולא עזבתם כי אל־חנון ורחום אתה׃
- ועתה אלהינו האל הגדול הגבור והנורא שומר הברית והחסד אל־ימעט לפניך את כל־התלאה אשר־מצאתנו למלכינו לשרינו ולכהנינו ולנביאנו ולאבתינו ולכל־עמך מימי מלכי אשור עד היום הזה׃
- ואתה צדיק על כל־הבא עלינו כי־אמת עשית ואנחנו הרשענו׃
- ואת־מלכינו שרינו כהנינו ואבתינו לא עשו תורתך ולא הקשיבו אל־מצותיך ולעדותיך אשר העידת בהם׃
- והם במלכותם ובטובך הרב אשר־נתת להם ובארץ הרחבה והשמנה אשר־נתת לפניהם לא עבדוך ולא־שבו ממעלליהם הרעים׃
- הנה אנחנו היום עבדים והארץ אשר־נתתה לאבתינו לאכל את־פריה ואת־טובה הנה אנחנו עבדים עליה׃
- ותבואתה מרבה למלכים אשר־נתתה עלינו בחטאותינו ועל גויתינו משלים ובבהמתנו כרצונם ובצרה גדולה אנחנו׃ ף
- ובכל־זאת אנחנו כרתים אמנה וכתבים ועל החתום שרינו לוינו כהנינו׃
|Nehemiah 9 Text (Latin)
- In die autem vigesimo quarto mensis hujus, convenerunt filii Israël in jejunio et in saccis, et humus super eos.
- Et separatum est semen filiorum Israël ab omni filio alienigena : et steterunt, et confitebantur peccata sua, et iniquitates patrum suorum.
- Et consurrexerunt ad standum : et legerunt in volumine legis Domini Dei sui, quater in die, et quater confitebantur, et adorabant Dominum Deum suum.
- Surrexerunt autem super gradum Levitarum Josue, et Bani, et Cedmihel, Sabania, Bonni, Sarebias, Bani, et Chanani : et clamaverunt voce magna ad Dominum Deum suum.
- Et dixerunt Levitæ Josue, et Cedmihel, Bonni, Hasebnia, Serebia, Odaia, Sebnia, Phathathia : Surgite, benedicite Domino Deo vestro ab æterno usque in æternum : et benedicant nomini gloriæ tuæ excelso in omni benedictione et laude.
- Tu ipse, Domine, solus, tu fecisti cælum, et cælum cælorum, et omnem exercitum eorum : terram, et universa quæ in ea sunt : maria, et omnia quæ in eis sunt : et tu vivificas omnia hæc, et exercitus cæli te adorat.
- Tu ipse, Domine Deus, qui elegisti Abram, et eduxisti eum de igne Chaldæorum, et posuisti nomen ejus Abraham :
- et invenisti cor ejus fidele coram te, et percussisti cum eo fœdus ut dares ei terram Chananæi, Hethæi, et Amorrhæi, et Pherezæi, et Jebusæi, et Gergesæi, ut dares semini ejus : et implesti verba tua, quoniam justus es.
- Et vidisti afflictionem patrum nostrorum in Ægypto, clamoremque eorum audisti super mare Rubrum.
- Et dedisti signa atque portenta in Pharaone, et in universis servis ejus, et in omni populo terræ illius : cognovisti enim quia superbe egerant contra eos : et fecisti tibi nomen, sicut et in hac die.
- Et mare divisisti ante eos, et transierunt per medium maris in sicco : persecutores autem eorum projecisti in profundum, quasi lapidem in aquas validas.
- Et in columna nubis ductor eorum fuisti per diem, et in columna ignis per noctem, ut appareret eis via, per quam ingrediebantur.
- Ad montem quoque Sinai descendisti, et locutus es cum eis de cælo, et dedisti eis judicia recta, et legem veritatis, cæremonias, et præcepta bona :
- et sabbatum sanctificatum tuum ostendisti eis, et mandata, et cæremonias, et legem præcepisti eis in manu Moysi servi tui.
- Panem quoque de cælo dedisti eis in fame eorum, et aquam de petra eduxisti eis sitientibus, et dixisti eis ut ingrederentur et possiderent terram, super quam levasti manum tuam ut traderes eis.
- Ipsi vero et patres nostri superbe egerunt, et induraverunt cervices suas, et non audierunt mandata tua.
- Et noluerunt audire, et non sunt recordati mirabilium tuorum quæ feceras eis. Et induraverunt cervices suas, et dederunt caput ut converterentur ad servitutem suam, quasi per contentionem. Tu autem Deus propitius, clemens, et misericors, longanimis, et multæ miserationis, non dereliquisti eos,
- et quidem cum fecissent sibi vitulum conflatilem, et dixissent : Iste est deus tuus, qui eduxit te de Ægypto : feceruntque blasphemias magnas :
- tu autem in misericordiis tuis multis non dimisisti eos in deserto : columna nubis non recessit ab eis per diem ut duceret eos in viam, et columna ignis per noctem ut ostenderet eis iter per quod ingrederentur.
- Et spiritum tuum bonum dedisti, qui doceret eos, et manna tuum non prohibuisti ab ore eorum, et aquam dedisti eis in siti.
- Quadraginta annis pavisti eos in deserto, nihilque eis defuit : vestimenta eorum non inveteraverunt, et pedes eorum non sunt attriti.
- Et dedisti eis regna, et populos, et partitus es eis sortes : et possederunt terram Sehon, et terram regis Hesebon, et terram Og regis Basan.
- Et multiplicasti filios eorum sicut stellas cæli, et adduxisti eos ad terram, de qua dixeras patribus eorum ut ingrederentur et possiderent.
- Et venerunt filii, et possederunt terram, et humiliasti coram eis habitatores terræ Chananæos, et dedisti eos in manu eorum, et reges eorum, et populos terræ, ut facerent eis sicut placebant illis.
- Ceperunt itaque urbes munitas et humum pinguem, et possederunt domos plenas cunctis bonis : cisternas ab aliis fabricatas, vineas, et oliveta, et ligna pomifera multa : et comederunt, et saturati sunt, et impinguati sunt, et abundaverunt deliciis in bonitate tua magna.
- Provocaverunt autem te ad iracundiam, et recesserunt a te, et projecerunt legem tuam post terga sua : et prophetas tuos occiderunt, qui contestabantur eos ut reverterentur ad te : feceruntque blasphemias grandes.
- Et dedisti eos in manu hostium suorum, et afflixerunt eos. Et in tempore tribulationis suæ clamaverunt ad te, et tu de cælo audisti, et secundum miserationes tuas multas dedisti eis salvatores, qui salvarent eos de manu hostium suorum.
- Cumque requievissent, reversi sunt ut facerent malum in conspectu tuo, et dereliquisti eos in manu inimicorum suorum, et possederunt eos. Conversique sunt, et clamaverunt ad te : tu autem de cælo exaudisti, et liberasti eos in misericordiis tuis multis temporibus.
- Et contestatus es eos ut reverterentur ad legem tuam. Ipsi vero superbe egerunt, et non audierunt mandata tua, et in judiciis tuis peccaverunt, quæ faciet homo, et vivet in eis : et dederunt humerum recedentem, et cervicem suam induraverunt, nec audierunt.
- Et protraxisti super eos annos multos, et contestatus es eos in spiritu tuo per manum prophetarum tuorum : et non audierunt, et tradidisti eos in manu populorum terrarum.
- In misericordiis autem tuis plurimis non fecisti eos in consumptionem, nec dereliquisti eos : quoniam Deus miserationum et clemens es tu.
- Nunc itaque Deus noster magne, fortis et terribilis, custodiens pactum et misericordiam, ne avertas a facie tua omnem laborem, qui invenit nos, reges nostros, et principes nostros, et sacerdotes nostros, et prophetas nostros, et patres nostros, et omnem populum tuum a diebus regis Assur usque in diem hanc.
- Et tu justus es in omnibus, quæ venerunt super nos : quia veritatem fecisti, nos autem impie egimus.
- Reges nostri, principes nostri, sacerdotes nostri et patres nostri non fecerunt legem tuam, et non attenderunt mandata tua, et testimonia tua quæ testificatus es in eis.
- Et ipsi in regnis suis, et in bonitate tua multa, quam dederas eis, et in terra latissima et pingui, quam tradideras in conspectu eorum, non servierunt tibi, nec reversi sunt a studiis suis pessimis.
- Ecce nos ipsi hodie servi sumus : et terra, quam dedisti patribus nostris ut comederent panem ejus, et quæ bona sunt ejus, et nos ipsi servi sumus in ea.
- Et fruges ejus multiplicantur regibus, quos posuisti super nos propter peccata nostra, et corporibus nostris dominantur, et jumentis nostris secundum voluntatem suam, et in tribulatione magna sumus.
- Super omnibus ergo his nos ipsi percutimus fœdus, et scribimus, et signant principes nostri, Levitæ nostri, et sacerdotes nostri.
|Nehemiah 9 Text (KJV)
- Now in the twenty and fourth day of this month the children of Israel were assembled with fasting, and with sackclothes, and earth upon them.
- And the seed of Israel separated themselves from all strangers, and stood and confessed their sins, and the iniquities of their fathers.
- And they stood up in their place, and read in the book of the law of the LORD their God one fourth part of the day; and another fourth part they confessed, and worshipped the LORD their God.
- Then stood up upon the stairs, of the Levites, Jeshua, and Bani, Kadmiel, Shebaniah, Bunni, Sherebiah, Bani, and Chenani, and cried with a loud voice unto the LORD their God.
- Then the Levites, Jeshua, and Kadmiel, Bani, Hashabniah, Sherebiah, Hodijah, Shebaniah, and Pethahiah, said, Stand up and bless the LORD your God for ever and ever: and blessed be thy glorious name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise.
- Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.
- Thou art the LORD the God, who didst choose Abram, and broughtest him forth out of Ur of the Chaldees, and gavest him the name of Abraham;
- And foundest his heart faithful before thee, and madest a covenant with him to give the land of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Jebusites, and the Girgashites, to give it, I say, to his seed, and hast performed thy words; for thou art righteous:
- And didst see the affliction of our fathers in Egypt, and heardest their cry by the Red sea;
- And shewedst signs and wonders upon Pharoah, and on all his servants, and on all the people of his land: for thou knewest that they dealt proudly against them. So didst thou get thee a name, as it is this day.
- And thou didst divide the sea before them, so that they went through the midst of the sea on the dry land; and their persecutors thou threwest into the deeps, as a stone into the mighty waters.
- Moreover thou leddest them in the day by a cloudy pillar; and in the night by a pillar of fire, to give them light in the way wherein they should go.
- Thou camest down also upon mount Sinai, and spakest with them from heaven, and gavest them right judgments, and true laws, good statutes and commandments:
- And madest known unto them thy holy sabbath, and commandedst them precepts, statutes, and laws, by the hand of Moses thy servant:
- And gavest them bread from heaven for their hunger, and broughtest forth water for them out of the rock for their thirst, and promisedst them that they should go in to possess the land which thou hadst sworn to give them.
- But they and our fathers dealt proudly, and hardened their necks, and hearkened not to thy commandments,
- And refused to obey, neither were mindful of thy wonders that thou didst among them; but hardened their necks, and in their rebellion appointed a captain to return to their bondage: but thou art a God ready to pardon, gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and forsookest them not.
- Yea, when they had made them a molten calf, and said, This is thy God that brought thee up out of Egypt, and had wrought great provocations;
- Yet thou in thy manifold mercies forsookest them not in the wilderness: the pillar of the cloud departed not from them by day, to lead them in the way; neither the pillar of fire by night, to shew them light, and the way wherein they should go.
- Thou gavest also thy good spirit to instruct them, and withheldest not thy manna from their mouth, and gavest them water for their thirst.
- Yea, forty years didst thou sustain them in the wilderness, so that they lacked nothing; their clothes waxed not old, and their feet swelled not.
- Moreover thou gavest them kingdoms and nations, and didst divide them into corners: so they possessed the land of Sihon, and the land of the king of Heshbon, and the land of Og king of Bashan.
- Their children also multipliedst thou as the stars of heaven, and broughtest them into the land, concerning which thou hadst promised to their fathers, that they should go in to possess it.
- So the children went in and possessed the land, and thou subduedst before them the inhabitants of the land, the Canaanites, and gavest them into their hands, with their kings, and the people of the land, that they might do with them as they would.
- And they took strong cities, and a fat land, and possessed houses full of all goods, wells digged, vineyards, and oliveyards, and fruit trees in abundance: so they did eat, and were filled, and became fat, and delighted themselves in thy great goodness.
- Nevertheless they were disobedient, and rebelled against thee, and cast thy law behind their backs, and slew thy prophets which testified against them to turn them to thee, and they wrought great provocations.
- Therefore thou deliveredst them into the hand of their enemies, who vexed them: and in the time of their trouble, when they cried unto thee, thou heardest them from heaven; and according to thy manifold mercies thou gavest them saviours, who saved them out of the hand of their enemies.
- But after they had rest, they did evil again before thee: therefore leftest thou them in the hand of their enemies, so that they had the dominion over them: yet when they returned, and cried unto thee, thou heardest them from heaven; and many times didst thou deliver them according to thy mercies;
- And testifiedst against them, that thou mightest bring them again unto thy law: yet they dealt proudly, and hearkened not unto thy commandments, but sinned against thy judgments, (which if a man do, he shall live in them;) and withdrew the shoulder, and hardened their neck, and would not hear.
- Yet many years didst thou forbear them, and testifiedst against them by thy spirit in thy prophets: yet would they not give ear: therefore gavest thou them into the hand of the people of the lands.
- Nevertheless for thy great mercies' sake thou didst not utterly consume them, nor forsake them; for thou art a gracious and merciful God.
- Now therefore, our God, the great, the mighty, and the terrible God, who keepest covenant and mercy, let not all the trouble seem little before thee, that hath come upon us, on our kings, on our princes, and on our priests, and on our prophets, and on our fathers, and on all thy people, since the time of the kings of Assyria unto this day.
- Howbeit thou art just in all that is brought upon us; for thou hast done right, but we have done wickedly:
- Neither have our kings, our princes, our priests, nor our fathers, kept thy law, nor hearkened unto thy commandments and thy testimonies, wherewith thou didst testify against them.
- For they have not served thee in their kingdom, and in thy great goodness that thou gavest them, and in the large and fat land which thou gavest before them, neither turned they from their wicked works.
- Behold, we are servants this day, and for the land that thou gavest unto our fathers to eat the fruit thereof and the good thereof, behold, we are servants in it:
- And it yieldeth much increase unto the kings whom thou hast set over us because of our sins: also they have dominion over our bodies, and over our cattle, at their pleasure, and we are in great distress.
- And because of all this we make a sure covenant, and write it; and our princes, Levites, and priests, seal unto it.