|Luke 4 - Versions
|Luke 4 Text (WEB)
- Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness
- for forty days, being tempted by the devil. He ate nothing in those days. Afterward, when they were completed, he was hungry.
- The devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread."
- Jesus answered him, saying, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.'"
- The devil, leading him up on a high mountain, showed him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
- The devil said to him, "I will give you all this authority, and their glory, for it has been delivered to me; and I give it to whomever I want.
- If you therefore will worship before me, it will all be yours."
- Jesus answered him, "Get behind me Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your God, and you shall serve him only.'"
- He led him to Jerusalem, and set him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, cast yourself down from here,
- for it is written, 'He will put his angels in charge of you, to guard you;'
- and, 'On their hands they will bear you up, lest perhaps you dash your foot against a stone.'"
- Jesus answering, said to him, "It has been said, 'You shall not tempt the Lord your God.'"
- When the devil had completed every temptation, he departed from him until another time.
- Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee, and news about him spread through all the surrounding area.
- He taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all.
- He came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up. He entered, as was his custom, into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.
- The book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. He opened the book, and found the place where it was written,
- "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim release to the captives, recovering of sight to the blind, to deliver those who are crushed,
- and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."
- He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of all in the synagogue were fastened on him.
- He began to tell them, "Today, this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."
- All testified about him, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth, and they said, "Isn't this Joseph's son?"
- He said to them, "Doubtless you will tell me this parable, 'Physician, heal yourself! Whatever we have heard done at Capernaum, do also here in your hometown.'"
- He said, "Most certainly I tell you, no prophet is acceptable in his hometown.
- But truly I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the sky was shut up three years and six months, when a great famine came over all the land.
- Elijah was sent to none of them, except to Zarephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow.
- There were many lepers in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet, yet not one of them was cleansed, except Naaman, the Syrian."
- They were all filled with wrath in the synagogue, as they heard these things.
- They rose up, threw him out of the city, and led him to the brow of the hill that their city was built on, that they might throw him off the cliff.
- But he, passing through the midst of them, went his way.
- He came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee. He was teaching them on the Sabbath day,
- and they were astonished at his teaching, for his word was with authority.
- In the synagogue there was a man who had a spirit of an unclean demon, and he cried out with a loud voice,
- saying, "Ah! what have we to do with you, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know you who you are: the Holy One of God!"
- Jesus rebuked him, saying, "Be silent, and come out of him!" When the demon had thrown him down in their midst, he came out of him, having done him no harm.
- Amazement came on all, and they spoke together, one with another, saying, "What is this word? For with authority and power he commands the unclean spirits, and they come out!"
- News about him went out into every place of the surrounding region.
- He rose up from the synagogue, and entered into Simon's house. Simon's mother-in-law was afflicted with a great fever, and they begged him for her.
- He stood over her, and rebuked the fever; and it left her. Immediately she rose up and served them.
- When the sun was setting, all those who had any sick with various diseases brought them to him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them.
- Demons also came out from many, crying out, and saying, "You are the Christ, the Son of God!" Rebuking them, he didn't allow them to speak, because they knew that he was the Christ.
- When it was day, he departed and went into an uninhabited place, and the multitudes looked for him, and came to him, and held on to him, so that he wouldn't go away from them.
- But he said to them, "I must preach the good news of the Kingdom of God to the other cities also. For this reason I have been sent."
- He was preaching in the synagogues of Galilee.
|Luke 4 Text (Hebrew)
- וישוע שב מן הירדן מלא רוח הקדש וינהגהו הרוח המדברה׃
- וינסהו השטן ארבעים יום ולא אכל מאומה בימים ההם ואחרי אשר תמו וירעב׃
- ויאמר אליו השטן אם בן האלהים אתה אמר אל האבן הזאת ותהי ללחם׃
- ויען אתו ישוע הן כתוב כי לא על הלחם לבדו יחיה האדם כי על כל מוצא פי יהוה׃
- ויעלהו השטן על הר גבה ויראהו ברגע אחד את כל ממלכות תבל׃
- ויאמר אליו השטן לך אתן את כל הממשלה הזאת ואת כבודן כי נמסרה בידי ונתתיה לאשר אחפץ׃
- ועתה אם תשתחוה לפני הכל יהיה לך׃
- ויען ישוע ויאמר אליו סור ממני השטן כי כתוב ליהוה אלהיך תשתחוה ואתו תעבד׃
- ויביאהו ירושלים ויעמידהו על פנת בית המקדש ויאמר אליו אם בן האלהים אתה התנפל מזה מטה׃
- כי כתוב כי מלאכיו יצוה לך לשמרך׃
- וכי על כפים ישאונך פן תגף באבן רגלך׃
- ויען ישוע ויאמר אליו נאמר לא תנסה את יהוה אלהיך׃
- וככלות השטן כל מסה וירף ממנו עד עת׃
- וישב ישוע בגבורת הרוח אל הגליל ויצא שמעו בכל הככר׃
- והוא היה מלמד בבתי כנסיותיהם ויהללהו כלם׃
- ויבא אל נצרת אשר גדל שם וילך כמשפטו ביום השבת אל בית הכנסת ויקם לקרא בתורה׃
- ויתן לו ספר ישעיה הנביא ויפתח את הספר וימצא את המקום אשר היה כתוב בו׃
- רוח אדני עלי יען משח אתי לבשר ענוים׃
- שלחני לחבש לנשברי לב לקרא לשבוים דרור ולעורים פקח קוח לשלח רצוצים חפשים לקרא שנת רצון ליהוה׃
- ויהי כאשר גלל את הספר וישיבהו אל החזן וישב ועיני כל אשר בבית הכנסת נשאות אליו׃
- ויחל ויאמר אליהם היום נתמלא הכתוב הזה באזניכם׃
- וכלם העידהו ותמהו על דברי חן אשר יצאו מפיהו ויאמרו הלא זה הוא בן יוסף׃
- ויאמר אליהם הן תאמרו לי את המשל הזה רפא רפא את עצמך וככל אשר שמענו שנעשה בכפר נחום עשה כן גם פה בעיר מולדתך׃
- ויאמר אמן אמר אני לכם כי אין נביא רצוי בארץ מולדתו׃
- ואמת אני אמר לכם אלמנות רבות היו בישראל בימי אליהו בהעצר השמים שלש שנים וששה חדשים ורעב גדול היה בכל הארץ׃
- ולא נשלח אליהו אל אחת מהנה זולתי צרפתה אשר לצידון אל אשה אלמנה׃
- ומצרעים רבים היו בישראל בימי אלישע הנביא ולא טהר אחד מהם זולתי נעמן הארמי׃
- וימלאו כל אשר בבית הכנסת חמה בשמעם את אלה׃
- ויקומו וידיחו אותו אל מחוץ לעיר ויביאהו עד גב ההר אשר נבנתה עירם עליו למען השליכו מטה׃
- אך הוא עבר בתוכם וילך לדרכו׃
- וירד אל כפר נחום עיר הגליל וילמדם בשבתות׃
- וישתוממו על תורתו כי עצום דברו׃
- ואיש היה בבית הכנסת ובו רוח שד טמא ויצעק בקול גדול לאמר׃
- אתה מה לנו ולך ישוע הנצרי באת להאבידנו ידעתיך מי אתה קדוש האלהים׃
- ויגער בו ישוע לאמר האלם וצא ממנו ויפילהו השד בתוכם ויצא ממנו לא הרע לו׃
- ותפל אימה על כלם וידברו איש אל רעהו לאמר מה הדבר הזה כי בשלטן ובגבורה מצוה לרוחות הטמאה והמה יצאים׃
- ושמעו הולך בכל מקמות הככר׃
- ויקם מבית הכנסת ויבא ביתה שמעון וחמות שמעון אחזתה קדחת חזקה וישאלהו בעדה׃
- ויתיצב עליה ויגער בקדחת ותרף ממנה ותקם מהרה ותשרת אתם׃
- וכבוא השמש הביאו אליו כל אשר להם חלים חליים שונים וירפא אותם בשומו את ידיו על כל אחד מהם׃
- וגם שדים יצאו מרבים צעקים ואמרים אתה הוא המשיח בן האלהים ויגער בם ולא נתנם לדבר כי ידעו אשר הוא המשיח׃
- ויצא וילך לו כאור הבקר אל מקום חרבה והמון העם בקשהו ויבאו עדיו ויפצרו בו לבלתי סור מהם׃
- ויאמר להם הן עלי לבשר גם לערים האחרות את בשורת מלכות האלהים כי לזאת שלחתי׃
- ויהי קורא בבתי הכנסיות אשר בגליל׃
|Luke 4 Text (Latin)
- Jesus autem plenus Spiritu Sancto regressus est a Jordane : et agebatur a Spiritu in desertum
- diebus quadraginta, et tentabatur a diabolo. Et nihil manducavit in diebus illis : et consummatis illis esuriit.
- Dixit autem illi diabolus : Si Filius Dei es, dic lapidi huic ut panis fiat.
- Et respondit ad illum Jesus : Scriptum est : Quia non in solo pane vivit homo, sed in omni verbo Dei.
- Et duxit illum diabolus in montem excelsum, et ostendit illi omnia regna orbis terræ in momento temporis,
- et ait illi : Tibi dabo potestatem hanc universam, et gloriam illorum : quia mihi tradita sunt, et cui volo do illa.
- Tu ergo si adoraveris coram me, erunt tua omnia.
- Et respondens Jesus, dixit illi : Scriptum est : Dominum Deum tuum adorabis, et illi soli servies.
- Et duxit illum in Jerusalem, et statuit eum super pinnam templi, et dixit illi : Si Filius Dei es, mitte te hinc deorsum.
- Scriptum est enim quod angelis suis mandavit de te, ut conservent te :
- et quia in manibus tollent te, ne forte offendas ad lapidem pedem tuum.
- Et respondens Jesus, ait illi : Dictum est : Non tentabis Dominum Deum tuum.
- Et consummata omni tentatione, diabolus recessit ab illo, usque ad tempus.
- Et regressus est Jesus in virtute Spiritus in Galilæam, et fama exiit per universam regionem de illo.
- Et ipse docebat in synagogis eorum, et magnificabatur ab omnibus.
- Et venit Nazareth, ubi erat nutritus, et intravit secundum consuetudinem suam die sabbati in synagogam, et surrexit legere.
- Et traditus est illi liber Isaiæ prophetæ. Et ut revolvit librum, invenit locum ubi scriptum erat :
- Spiritus Domini super me : propter quod unxit me, evangelizare pauperibus misit me, sanare contritos corde,
- prædicare captivis remissionem, et cæcis visum, dimittere confractos in remissionem, prædicare annum Domini acceptum et diem retributioni.
- Et cum plicuisset librum, reddit ministro, et sedit. Et omnium in synagoga oculi erant intendentes in eum.
- Cœpit autem dicere ad illos : Quia hodie impleta est hæc scriptura in auribus vestris.
- Et omnes testimonium illi dabant : et mirabantur in verbis gratiæ, quæ procedebant de ore ipsius, et dicebant : Nonne hic est filius Joseph ?
- Et ait illis : Utique dicetis mihi hanc similitudinem : Medice cura teipsum : quanta audivimus facta in Capharnaum, fac et hic in patria tua.
- Ait autem : Amen dico vobis, quia nemo propheta acceptus est in patria sua.
- In veritate dico vobis, multæ viduæ erant in diebus Eliæ in Israël, quando clausum est cælum annis tribus et mensibus sex, cum facta esset fames magna in omni terra :
- et ad nullam illarum missus est Elias, nisi in Sarepta Sidoniæ, ad mulierem viduam.
- Et multi leprosi erant in Israël sub Elisæo propheta : et nemo eorum mundatus est nisi Naaman Syrus.
- Et repleti sunt omnes in synagoga ira, hæc audientes.
- Et surrexerunt, et ejecerunt illum extra civitatem : et duxerunt illum usque ad supercilium montis, super quem civitas illorum erat ædificata, ut præcipitarent eum.
- Ipse autem transiens per medium illorum, ibat.
- Et descendit in Capharnaum civitatem Galilææ, ibique docebat illos sabbatis.
- Et stupebant in doctrina ejus, quia in potestate erat sermo ipsius.
- Et in synagoga erat homo habens dæmonium immundum, et exclamavit voce magna,
- dicens : Sine, quid nobis et tibi, Jesu Nazarene ? venisti perdere nos ? scio te quis sis, Sanctus Dei.
- Et increpavit illum Jesus, dicens : Obmutesce, et exi ab eo. Et cum projecisset illum dæmonium in medium, exiit ab illo, nihilque illum nocuit.
- Et factus est pavor in omnibus, et colloquebantur ad invicem, dicentes : Quod est hoc verbum, quia in potestate et virtute imperat immundis spiritibus, et exeunt ?
- Et divulgabatur fama de illo in omnem locum regionis.
- Surgens autem Jesus de synagoga, introivit in domum Simonis. Socrus autem Simonis tenebatur magnis febribus : et rogaverunt illum pro ea.
- Et stans super illam imperavit febri : et dimisit illam. Et continuo surgens, ministrabat illis.
- Cum autem sol occidisset, omnes qui habebant infirmos variis languoribus, ducebant illos ad eum. At ille singulis manus imponens, curabat eos.
- Exibant autem dæmonia a multis clamantia, et dicentia : Quia tu es Filius Dei : et increpans non sinebat ea loqui : quia sciebant ipsum esse Christum.
- Facta autem die egressus ibat in desertum locum, et turbæ requirebant eum, et venerunt usque ad ipsum : et detinebant illum ne discederet ab eis.
- Quibus ille ait : Quia et aliis civitatibus oportet me evangelizare regnum Dei : quia ideo missus sum.
- Et erat prædicans in synagogis Galilææ.
|Luke 4 Text (KJV)
- And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,
- Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
- And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread.
- And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
- And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
- And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.
- If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.
- And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
- And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence:
- For it is written, He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee:
- And in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
- And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
- And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season.
- And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.
- And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all.
- And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
- And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
- The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
- To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
- And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
- And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
- And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?
- And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself: whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country.
- And he said, Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own country.
- But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land;
- But unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow.
- And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Eliseus the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, saving Naaman the Syrian.
- And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath,
- And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong.
- But he passing through the midst of them went his way,
- And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath days.
- And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.
- And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice,
- Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art; the Holy One of God.
- And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him. And when the devil had thrown him in the midst, he came out of him, and hurt him not.
- And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! for with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out.
- And the fame of him went out into every place of the country round about.
- And he arose out of the synagogue, and entered into Simon's house. And Simon's wife's mother was taken with a great fever; and they besought him for her.
- And he stood over her, and rebuked the fever; and it left her: and immediately she arose and ministered unto them.
- Now when the sun was setting, all they that had any sick with divers diseases brought them unto him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them.
- And devils also came out of many, crying out, and saying, Thou art Christ the Son of God. And he rebuking them suffered them not to speak: for they knew that he was Christ.
- And when it was day, he departed and went into a desert place: and the people sought him, and came unto him, and stayed him, that he should not depart from them.
- And he said unto them, I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also: for therefore am I sent.
- And he preached in the synagogues of Galilee.