|Genesis 4 - Versions
|Genesis 4 Text (WEB)
- The man knew Eve his wife. She conceived, and gave birth to Cain, and said, "I have gotten a man with Yahweh's help."
- Again she gave birth, to Cain's brother Abel. Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.
- As time passed, it happened that Cain brought an offering to Yahweh from the fruit of the ground.
- Abel also brought some of the firstborn of his flock and of its fat. Yahweh respected Abel and his offering,
- but he didn't respect Cain and his offering. Cain was very angry, and the expression on his face fell.
- Yahweh said to Cain, "Why are you angry? Why has the expression of your face fallen?
- If you do well, will it not be lifted up? If you don't do well, sin crouches at the door. Its desire is for you, but you are to rule over it."
- Cain said to Abel, his brother, "Let's go into the field." It happened when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel, his brother, and killed him.
- Yahweh said to Cain, "Where is Abel, your brother?" He said, "I don't know. Am I my brother's keeper?"
- Yahweh said, "What have you done? The voice of your brother's blood cries to me from the ground.
- Now you are cursed because of the ground, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand.
- From now on, when you till the ground, it won't yield its strength to you. You shall be a fugitive and a wanderer in the earth."
- Cain said to Yahweh, "My punishment is greater than I can bear.
- Behold, you have driven me out this day from the surface of the ground. I will be hidden from your face, and I will be a fugitive and a wanderer in the earth. It will happen that whoever finds me will kill me."
- Yahweh said to him, "Therefore whoever slays Cain, vengeance will be taken on him sevenfold." Yahweh appointed a sign for Cain, lest any finding him should strike him.
- Cain went out from Yahweh's presence, and lived in the land of Nod, east of Eden.
- Cain knew his wife. She conceived, and gave birth to Enoch. He built a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
- To Enoch was born Irad. Irad became the father of Mehujael. Mehujael became the father of Methushael. Methushael became the father of Lamech.
- Lamech took two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.
- Adah gave birth to Jabal, who was the father of those who dwell in tents and have livestock.
- His brother's name was Jubal, who was the father of all who handle the harp and pipe.
- Zillah also gave birth to Tubal Cain, the forger of every cutting instrument of brass and iron. Tubal Cain's sister was Naamah.
- Lamech said to his wives, "Adah and Zillah, hear my voice. You wives of Lamech, listen to my speech, for I have slain a man for wounding me, a young man for bruising me.
- If Cain will be avenged seven times, truly Lamech seventy-seven times."
- Adam knew his wife again. She gave birth to a son, and named him Seth, "for God has appointed me another child instead of Abel, for Cain killed him."
- There was also born a son to Seth, and he named him Enosh. Then men began to call on Yahweh's name.
|Genesis 4 Text (Hebrew)
- והאדם ידע את־חוה אשתו ותהר ותלד את־קין ותאמר קניתי איש את־יהוה׃
- ותסף ללדת את־אחיו את־הבל ויהי־הבל רעה צאן וקין היה עבד אדמה׃
- ויהי מקץ ימים ויבא קין מפרי האדמה מנחה ליהוה׃
- והבל הביא גם־הוא מבכרות צאנו ומחלבהן וישע יהוה אל־הבל ואל־מנחתו׃
- ואל־קין ואל־מנחתו לא שעה ויחר לקין מאד ויפלו פניו׃
- ויאמר יהוה אל־קין למה חרה לך ולמה נפלו פניך׃
- הלוא אם־תיטיב שאת ואם לא תיטיב לפתח חטאת רבץ ואליך תשוקתו ואתה תמשל־בו׃
- ויאמר קין אל־הבל אחיו ויהי בהיותם בשדה ויקם קין אל־הבל אחיו ויהרגהו׃
- ויאמר יהוה אל־קין אי הבל אחיך ויאמר לא ידעתי השמר אחי אנכי׃
- ויאמר מה עשית קול דמי אחיך צעקים אלי מן־האדמה׃
- ועתה ארור אתה מן־האדמה אשר פצתה את־פיה לקחת את־דמי אחיך מידך׃
- כי תעבד את־האדמה לא־תסף תת־כחה לך נע ונד תהיה בארץ׃
- ויאמר קין אל־יהוה גדול עוני מנשא׃
- הן גרשת אתי היום מעל פני האדמה ומפניך אסתר והייתי נע ונד בארץ והיה כל־מצאי יהרגני׃
- ויאמר לו יהוה לכן כל־הרג קין שבעתים יקם וישם יהוה לקין אות לבלתי הכות־אתו כל־מצאו׃
- ויצא קין מלפני יהוה וישב בארץ־נוד קדמת־עדן׃
- וידע קין את־אשתו ותהר ותלד את־חנוך ויהי בנה עיר ויקרא שם העיר כשם בנו חנוך׃
- ויולד לחנוך את־עירד ועירד ילד את־מחויאל ומחייאל ילד את־מתושאל ומתושאל ילד את־למך׃
- ויקח־לו למך שתי נשים שם האחת עדה ושם השנית צלה׃
- ותלד עדה את־יבל הוא היה אבי ישב אהל ומקנה׃
- ושם אחיו יובל הוא היה אבי כל־תפש כנור ועוגב׃
- וצלה גם־הוא ילדה את־תובל קין לטש כל־חרש נחשת וברזל ואחות תובל־קין נעמה׃
- ויאמר למך לנשיו עדה וצלה שמען קולי נשי למך האזנה אמרתי כי איש הרגתי לפצעי וילד לחברתי׃
- כי שבעתים יקם־קין ולמך שבעים ושבעה׃
- וידע אדם עוד את־אשתו ותלד בן ותקרא את־שמו שת כי שת־לי אלהים זרע אחר תחת הבל כי הרגו קין׃
- ולשת גם־הוא ילד־בן ויקרא את־שמו אנוש אז הוחל לקרא בשם יהוה׃ ף
|Genesis 4 Text (Latin)
- Adam vero cognovit uxorem suam Hevam, quæ concepit et peperit Cain, dicens : Possedi hominem per Deum.
- Rursumque peperit fratrem ejus Abel. Fuit autem Abel pastor ovium, et Cain agricola.
- Factum est autem post multos dies ut offerret Cain de fructibus terræ munera Domino.
- Abel quoque obtulit de primogenitis gregis sui, et de adipibus eorum : et respexit Dominus ad Abel, et ad munera ejus.
- Ad Cain vero, et ad munera illius non respexit : iratusque est Cain vehementer, et concidit vultus ejus.
- Dixitque Dominus ad eum : Quare iratus es ? et cur concidit facies tua ?
- nonne si bene egeris, recipies : sin autem male, statim in foribus peccatum aderit ? sed sub te erit appetitus ejus, et tu dominaberis illius.
- Dixitque Cain ad Abel fratrem suum : Egrediamur foras. Cumque essent in agro, consurrexit Cain adversus fratrem suum Abel, et interfecit eum.
- Et ait Dominus ad Cain : Ubi est Abel frater tuus ? Qui respondit : Nescio : num custos fratris mei sum ego ?
- Dixitque ad eum : Quid fecisti ? vox sanguinis fratris tui clamat ad me de terra.
- Nunc igitur maledictus eris super terram, quæ aperuit os suum, et suscepit sanguinem fratris tui de manu tua.
- Cum operatus fueris eam, non dabit tibi fructus suos : vagus et profugus eris super terram.
- Dixitque Cain ad Dominum : Major est iniquitas mea, quam ut veniam merear.
- Ecce ejicis me hodie a facie terræ, et a facie tua abscondar, et ero vagus et profugus in terra : omnis igitur qui invenerit me, occidet me.
- Dixitque ei Dominus : Nequaquam ita fiet : sed omnis qui occiderit Cain, septuplum punietur. Posuitque Dominus Cain signum, ut non interficeret eum omnis qui invenisset eum.
- Egressusque Cain a facie Domini, habitavit profugus in terra ad orientalem plagam Eden.
- Cognovit autem Cain uxorem suam, quæ concepit, et peperit Henoch : et ædificavit civitatem, vocavitque nomen ejus ex nomine filii sui, Henoch.
- Porro Henoch genuit Irad, et Irad genuit Maviaël, et Maviaël genuit Mathusaël, et Mathusaël genuit Lamech.
- Qui accepit duas uxores, nomen uni Ada, et nomen alteri Sella.
- Genuitque Ada Jabel, qui fuit pater habitantium in tentoriis, atque pastorum.
- Et nomen fratris ejus Jubal : ipse fuit pater canentium cithara et organo.
- Sella quoque genuit Tubalcain, qui fuit malleator et faber in cuncta opera æris et ferri. Soror vero Tubalcain, Noëma.
- Dixitque Lamech uxoribus suis Adæ et Sellæ : Audite vocem meam, uxores Lamech ; auscultate sermonem meum : quoniam occidi virum in vulnus meum, et adolescentulum in livorem meum.
- Septuplum ultio dabitur de Cain : de Lamech vero septuagies septies.
- Cognovit quoque adhuc Adam uxorem suam : et peperit filium, vocavitque nomen ejus Seth, dicens : Posuit mihi Deus semen aliud pro Abel, quem occidit Cain.
- Sed et Seth natus est filius, quem vocavit Enos : iste cœpit invocare nomen Domini.
|Genesis 4 Text (KJV)
- And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.
- And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.
- And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
- And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
- But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
- And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
- If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
- And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
- And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?
- And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.
- And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;
- When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.
- And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.
- Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.
- And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
- And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.
- And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
- And unto Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech.
- And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.
- And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of such as have cattle.
- And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.
- And Zillah, she also bare Tubal-cain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubal-cain was Naamah.
- And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.
- If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.
- And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.
- And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.