|Deuteronomy 20 - Versions
|Deuteronomy 20 Text (WEB)
- When you go forth to battle against your enemies, and see horses, and chariots, [and] a people more than you, you shall not be afraid of them; for Yahweh your God is with you, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.
- It shall be, when you draw near to the battle, that the priest shall approach and speak to the people,
- and shall tell them, "Hear, Israel, you draw near this day to battle against your enemies: don't let your heart faint; don't be afraid, nor tremble, neither be scared of them;
- for Yahweh your God is he who goes with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you."
- The officers shall speak to the people, saying, "What man is there who has built a new house, and has not dedicated it? Let him go and return to his house, lest he die in the battle, and another man dedicate it.
- What man is there who has planted a vineyard, and has not used its fruit? Let him go and return to his house, lest he die in the battle, and another man use its fruit.
- What man is there who has pledged to be married a wife, and has not taken her? Let him go and return to his house, lest he die in the battle, and another man take her."
- The officers shall speak further to the people, and they shall say, "What man is there who is fearful and fainthearted? Let him go and return to his house, lest his brother's heart melt as his heart."
- It shall be, when the officers have made an end of speaking to the people, that they shall appoint captains of armies at the head of the people.
- When you draw near to a city to fight against it, then proclaim peace to it.
- It shall be, if it makes you answer of peace, and opens to you, then it shall be, that all the people who are found therein shall become tributary to you, and shall serve you.
- If it will make no peace with you, but will make war against you, then you shall besiege it:
- and when Yahweh your God delivers it into your hand, you shall strike every male of it with the edge of the sword:
- but the women, and the little ones, and the livestock, and all that is in the city, even all its spoil, you shall take for a prey to yourself; and you shall eat the spoil of your enemies, which Yahweh your God has given you.
- Thus you shall do to all the cities which are very far off from you, which are not of the cities of these nations.
- But of the cities of these peoples, that Yahweh your God gives you for an inheritance, you shall save alive nothing that breathes;
- but you shall utterly destroy them: the Hittite, and the Amorite, the Canaanite, and the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite; as Yahweh your God has commanded you;
- that they not teach you to do after all their abominations, which they have done to their gods; so would you sin against Yahweh your God.
- When you shall besiege a city a long time, in making war against it to take it, you shall not destroy its trees by wielding an axe against them; for you may eat of them, and you shall not cut them down; for is the tree of the field man, that it should be besieged of you?
- Only the trees of which you know that they are not trees for food, you shall destroy and cut them down; and you shall build bulwarks against the city that makes war with you, until it fall.
|Deuteronomy 20 Text (Hebrew)
- כי־תצא למלחמה על־איביך וראית סוס ורכב עם רב ממך לא תירא מהם כי־יהוה אלהיך עמך המעלך מארץ מצרים׃
- והיה כקרבכם אל־המלחמה ונגש הכהן ודבר אל־העם׃
- ואמר אלהם שמע ישראל אתם קרבים היום למלחמה על־איביכם אל־ירך לבבכם אל־תיראו ואל־תחפזו ואל־תערצו מפניהם׃
- כי יהוה אלהיכם ההלך עםכם להלחם לכם עם־איביכם להושיע אתכם׃
- ודברו השטרים אל־העם לאמר מי־האיש אשר בנה בית־חדש ולא חנכו ילך וישב לביתו פן־ימות במלחמה ואיש אחר יחנכנו׃
- ומי־האיש אשר־נטע כרם ולא חללו ילך וישב לביתו פן־ימות במלחמה ואיש אחר יחללנו׃
- ומי־האיש אשר־ארש אשה ולא לקחה ילך וישב לביתו פן־ימות במלחמה ואיש אחר יקחנה׃
- ויספו השטרים לדבר אל־העם ואמרו מי־האיש הירא ורך הלבב ילך וישב לביתו ולא ימס את־לבב אחיו כלבבו׃
- והיה ככלת השטרים לדבר אל־העם ופקדו שרי צבאות בראש העם׃ ס
- כי־תקרב אל־עיר להלחם עליה וקראת אליה לשלום׃
- והיה אם־שלום תענך ופתחה לך והיה כל־העם הנמצא־בה יהיו לך למס ועבדוך׃
- ואם־לא תשלים עמך ועשתה עמך מלחמה וצרת עליה׃
- ונתנה יהוה אלהיך בידך והכית את־כל־זכורה לפי־חרב׃
- רק הנשים והטף והבהמה וכל אשר יהיה בעיר כל־שללה תבז לך ואכלת את־שלל איביך אשר נתן יהוה אלהיך לך׃
- כן תעשה לכל־הערים הרחקת ממך מאד אשר לא־מערי הגוים־האלה הנה׃
- רק מערי העמים האלה אשר יהוה אלהיך נתן לך נחלה לא תחיה כל־נשמה׃
- כי־החרם תחריםם החתי והאמרי הכנעני והפרזי החוי והיבוסי כאשר צוך יהוה אלהיך׃
- למען אשר לא־ילמדו אתכם לעשות ככל תועבתם אשר עשו לאלהיהם וחטאתם ליהוה אלהיכם׃ ס
- כי־תצור אל־עיר ימים רבים להלחם עליה לתפשה לא־תשחית את־עצה לנדח עליו גרזן כי ממנו תאכל ואתו לא תכרת כי האדם עץ השדה לבא מפניך במצור׃
- רק עץ אשר־תדע כי־לא־עץ מאכל הוא אתו תשחית וכרת ובנית מצור על־העיר אשר־הוא עשה עמך מלחמה עד רדתה׃ ף
|Deuteronomy 20 Text (Latin)
- Si exieris ad bellum contra hostes tuos, et videris equitatus et currus, et majorem quam tu habeas adversarii exercitus multitudinem, non timebis eos : quia Dominus Deus tuus tecum est, qui eduxit te de terra Ægypti.
- Appropinquante autem jam prælio, stabit sacerdos ante aciem, et sic loquetur ad populum :
- Audi, Israël : vos hodie contra inimicos vestros pugnam committitis : non pertimescat cor vestrum, nolite metuere, nolite cedere, nec formidetis eos :
- quia Dominus Deus vester in medio vestri est, et pro vobis contra adversarios dimicabit, ut eruat vos de periculo.
- Duces quoque per singulas turmas audiente exercitu proclamabunt : Quis est homo qui ædificavit domum novam, et non dedicavit eam ? vadat, et revertatur in domum suam, ne forte moriatur in bello, et alius dedicet eam.
- Quis est homo qui plantavit vineam, et necdum fecit eam esse communem, de qua vesci omnibus liceat ? vadat, et revertatur in domum suam, ne forte moriatur in bello, et alius homo ejus fungatur officio.
- Quis est homo, qui despondit uxorem, et non accepit eam ? vadat, et revertatur in domum suam, ne forte moriatur in bello, et alius homo accipiat eam.
- His dictis addent reliqua, et loquentur ad populum : Quis est homo formidolosus, et corde pavido ? vadat, et revertatur in domum suam, ne pavere faciat corda fratrum suorum, sicut ipse timore perterritus est.
- Cumque siluerint duces exercitus, et finem loquendi fecerint, unusquisque suos ad bellandum cuneos præparabit.
- Siquando accesseris ad expugnandam civitatem, offeres ei primum pacem.
- Si receperit, et aperuerit tibi portas, cunctus populus, qui in ea est, salvabitur, et serviet tibi sub tributo.
- Sin autem fœdus inire noluerit, et cœperit contra te bellum, oppugnabis eam.
- Cumque tradiderit Dominus Deus tuus illam in manu tua, percuties omne quod in ea generis masculini est, in ore gladii,
- absque mulieribus et infantibus, jumentis et ceteris quæ in civitate sunt. Omnem prædam exercitui divides, et comedes de spoliis hostium tuorum, quæ Dominus Deus tuus dederit tibi.
- Sic facies cunctis civitatibus, quæ a te procul valde sunt, et non sunt de his urbibus, quas in possessionem accepturus es.
- De his autem civitatibus, quæ dabuntur tibi, nullum omnino permittes vivere :
- sed interficies in ore gladii, Hethæum videlicet, et Amorrhæum, et Chananæum, Pherezæum, et Hevæum, et Jebusæum, sicut præcepit tibi Dominus Deus tuus :
- ne forte doceant vos facere cunctas abominationes, quas ipsi operati sunt diis suis, et peccetis in Dominum Deum vestrum.
- Quando obsederis civitatem multo tempore, et munitionibus circumdederis ut expugnes eam, non succides arbores, de quibus vesci potest, nec securibus per circuitum debes vastare regionem : quoniam lignum est, et non homo, nec potest bellantium contra te augere numerum.
- Si qua autem ligna non sunt pomifera, sed agrestia, et in ceteros apta usus, succide, et instrue machinas, donec capias civitatem, quæ contra te dimicat.
|Deuteronomy 20 Text (KJV)
- When thou goest out to battle against thine enemies, and seest horses, and chariots, and a people more than thou, be not afraid of them: for the LORD thy God is with thee, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.
- And it shall be, when ye are come nigh unto the battle, that the priest shall approach and speak unto the people,
- And shall say unto them, Hear, O Israel, ye approach this day unto battle against your enemies: let not your hearts faint, fear not, and do not tremble, neither be ye terrified because of them;
- For the LORD your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you agginst your enemies, to save you.
- And the officers shall speak unto the people, saying, What man is there that hath built a new house, and hath not dedicated it? let him go and return to his house, lest he die in the battle, and another man dedicate it.
- And what man is he that hath planted a vineyard, and hath not yet eaten of it? let him also go and return unto his house, lest he die in the battle, and another man eat of it.
- And what man is there that hath betrothed a wife, and hath not taken her? let him go and return unto his house, lest he die in the battle, and another man take her.
- And the officers shall speak further unto the people, and they shall say, What man is there that is fearful and fainthearted? let him go and return unto his house, lest his brethren's heart faint as well as his heart.
- And it shall be, when the officers have made an end of speaking unto the people, that they shall make captains of the armies to lead the people.
- When thou comest nigh unto a city to fight against it, then proclaim peace unto it.
- And it shall be, if it make thee answer of peace, and open unto thee, then it shall be, that all the people that is found therein shall be tributaries unto thee, and they shall serve thee.
- And if it will make no peace with thee, but will make war against thee, then thou shalt besiege it:
- And when the LORD thy God hath delivered it into thine hands, thou shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword:
- But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself; and thou shalt eat the spoil of thine enemies, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.
- Thus shalt thou do unto all the cities which are very far off from thee, which are not of the cities of these nations.
- But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:
- But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:
- That they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods; so should ye sin against the LORD your God.
- When thou shalt besiege a city a long time, in making war against it to take it, thou shalt not destroy the trees thereof by forcing an axe against them: for thou mayest eat of them, and thou shalt not cut them down (for the tree of the field is man's life) to employ them in the siege:
- Only the trees which thou knowest that they be not trees for meat, thou shalt destroy and cut them down; and thou shalt build bulwarks against the city that maketh war with thee, until it be subdued.