|Psalm 55 - Versions
|Psalm 55 Text (WEB)
- Listen to my prayer, God. Don't hide yourself from my supplication.
- Attend to me, and answer me. I am restless in my complaint, and moan,
- Because of the voice of the enemy, Because of the oppression of the wicked. For they bring suffering on me. In anger they hold a grudge against me.
- My heart is severely pained within me. The terrors of death have fallen on me.
- Fearfulness and trembling have come on me. Horror has overwhelmed me.
- I said, "Oh that I had wings like a dove! Then I would fly away, and be at rest.
- Behold, then I would wander far off. I would lodge in the wilderness." Selah.
- "I would hurry to a shelter from the stormy wind and storm."
- Confuse them, Lord, and confound their language, for I have seen violence and strife in the city.
- Day and night they prowl around on its walls. Malice and abuse are also within her.
- Destructive forces are within her. Threats and lies don't depart from her streets.
- For it was not an enemy who insulted me, then I could have endured it. Neither was it he who hated me who raised himself up against me, then I would have hidden myself from him.
- But it was you, a man like me, my companion, and my familiar friend.
- We took sweet fellowship together. We walked in God's house with company.
- Let death come suddenly on them. Let them go down alive into Sheol. For wickedness is in their dwelling, in the midst of them.
- As for me, I will call on God. Yahweh will save me.
- Evening, morning, and at noon, I will cry out in distress. He will hear my voice.
- He has redeemed my soul in peace from the battle that was against me, although there are many who oppose me.
- God, who is enthroned forever, will hear, and answer them. Selah. They never change, who don't fear God.
- He raises his hands against his friends. He has violated his covenant.
- His mouth was smooth as butter, but his heart was war. His words were softer than oil, yet they were drawn swords.
- Cast your burden on Yahweh, and he will sustain you. He will never allow the righteous to be moved.
- But you, God, will bring them down into the pit of destruction. Bloodthirsty and deceitful men shall not live out half their days, but I will trust in you. For the Chief Musician. To the tune of "Silent Dove in Distant Lands." A poem by David, when the Philistines seized him in Gath.
|Psalm 55 Text (Hebrew)
- האזינה אלהים תפלתי ואל־תתעלם מתחנתי׃
- הקשיבה לי וענני אריד בשיחי ואהימה׃
- מקול אויב מפני עקת רשע כי־ימיטו עלי און ובאף ישטמוני׃
- לבי יחיל בקרבי ואימות מות נפלו עלי׃
- יראה ורעד יבא בי ותכסני פלצות׃
- ואמר מי־יתן־לי אבר כיונה אעופה ואשכנה׃
- הנה ארחיק נדד אלין במדבר סלה׃
- אחישה מפלט לי מרוח סעה מסער׃
- בלע אדני פלג לשונם כי־ראיתי חמס וריב בעיר׃
- יוםם ולילה יסובבה על־חומתיה ואון ועמל בקרבה׃
- הוות בקרבה ולא־ימיש מרחבה תך ומרמה׃
- כי לא־אויב יחרפני ואשא לא־משנאי עלי הגדיל ואסתר ממנו׃
- ואתה אנוש כערכי אלופי ומידעי׃
- אשר יחדו נמתיק סוד בבית אלהים נהלך ברגש׃
- עלימו ירדו שאול חיים כי־רעות במגורם בקרבם׃
- אני אל־אלהים אקרא ויהוה יושיעני׃
- ערב ובקר וצהרים אשיחה ואהמה וישמע קולי׃
- פדה בשלום נפשי מקרב־לי כי־ברבים היו עמדי׃
- ישמע אל ויענם וישב קדם סלה אשר אין חליפות למו ולא יראו אלהים׃
- שלח ידיו בשלמיו חלל בריתו׃
- חלקו מחמאת פיו וקרב־לבו רכו דבריו משמן והמה פתחות׃
- השלך על־יהוה יהבך והוא יכלכלך לא־יתן לעולם מוט לצדיק׃
- ואתה אלהים תורדם לבאר שחת אנשי דמים ומרמה לא־יחצו ימיהם ואני אבטח־בך׃
|Psalm 55 Text (Latin)
- In finem, in carminibus. Intellectus David.
- intende mihi, et exaudi me. Contristatus sum in exercitatione mea ; et conturbatus sum
- a voce inimici, et a tribulatione peccatoris. Quoniam declinaverunt in me iniquitates, et in ira molesti erant mihi.
- Cor meum conturbatum est in me, et formido mortis cecidit super me.
- Timor et tremor venerunt super me, et contexerunt me tenebræ.
- Et dixi : Quis dabit mihi pennas sicut columbæ, et volabo, et requiescam ?
- Ecce elongavi fugiens ; et mansi in solitudine.
- Exspectabam eum qui salvum me fecit a pusillanimitate spiritus, et tempestate.
- Præcipita, Domine, divide linguas eorum ; quoniam vidi iniquitatem et contradictionem in civitate.
- Die ac nocte circumdabit eam super muros ejus iniquitas ; et labor in medio ejus,
- et injustitia : et non defecit de plateis ejus usura et dolus.
- Quoniam si inimicus meus maledixisset mihi, sustinuissem utique. Et si is qui oderat me super me magna locutus fuisset, abscondissem me forsitan ab eo.
- Tu vero homo unanimis, dux meus, et notus meus ;
- qui simul mecum dulces capiebas cibos, in domo Dei ambulavimus cum consensu.
- Veniat mors super illos, et descendant in infernum viventes : quoniam nequitiæ in habitaculis eorum, in medio eorum.
- Ego autem ad Deum clamavi, et Dominus salvabit me.
- Vespere, et mane, et meridie, narrabo, et annuntiabo ; et exaudiet vocem meam.
- Redimet in pace animam meam ab his qui appropinquant mihi ; quoniam inter multos erant mecum.
- Exaudiet Deus, et humiliabit illos, qui est ante sæcula. Non enim est illis commutatio, et non timuerunt Deum.
- Extendit manum suam in retribuendo ; contaminaverunt testamentum ejus ;
- divisi sunt ab ira vultus ejus ; et appropinquavit cor illius. Molliti sunt sermones ejus super oleum ; et ipsi sunt jacula.
- Jacta super Dominum curam tuam, et ipse te enutriet ; non dabit in æternum fluctuationem justo.
- Tu vero, Deus, deduces eos in puteum interitus. Viri sanguinum et dolosi non dimidiabunt dies suos ; ego autem sperabo in te, Domine.
|Psalm 55 Text (KJV)
- Give ear to my prayer, O God; and hide not thyself from my supplication.
- Attend unto me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise;
- Because of the voice of the enemy, because of the oppression of the wicked: for they cast iniquity upon me, and in wrath they hate me.
- My heart is sore pained within me: and the terrors of death are fallen upon me.
- Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me.
- And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest.
- Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.
- I would hasten my escape from the windy storm and tempest.
- Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues: for I have seen violence and strife in the city.
- Day and night they go about it upon the walls thereof: mischief also and sorrow are in the midst of it.
- Wickedness is in the midst thereof: deceit and guile depart not from her streets.
- For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him:
- But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance.
- We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.
- Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.
- As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me.
- Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
- He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me: for there were many with me.
- God shall hear, and afflict them, even he that abideth of old. Selah. Because they have no changes, therefore they fear not God.
- He hath put forth his hands against such as be at peace with him: he hath broken his covenant.
- The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his heart: his words were softer than oil, yet were they drawn swords.
- Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
- But thou, O God, shalt bring them down into the pit of destruction: bloody and deceitful men shall not live out half their days; but I will trust in thee.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
This article is a stub. You can help WikiChristian by expanding it. For help please read the WikiChristian Tutorial and our writing guide.
Return to Christianity -> Bible -> Psalm