|Psalm 18 - Versions
|Psalm 18 Text (WEB)
- I love you, Yahweh, my strength.
- Yahweh is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower.
- I call on Yahweh, who is worthy to be praised; and I am saved from my enemies.
- The cords of death surrounded me. The floods of ungodliness made me afraid.
- The cords of Sheol were around me. The snares of death came on me.
- In my distress I called on Yahweh, and cried to my God. He heard my voice out of his temple. My cry before him came into his ears.
- Then the earth shook and trembled. The foundations also of the mountains quaked and were shaken, because he was angry.
- Smoke went out of his nostrils. Consuming fire came out of his mouth. Coals were kindled by it.
- He bowed the heavens also, and came down. Thick darkness was under his feet.
- He rode on a cherub, and flew. Yes, he soared on the wings of the wind.
- He made darkness his hiding place, his pavilion around him, darkness of waters, thick clouds of the skies.
- At the brightness before him his thick clouds passed, hailstones and coals of fire.
- Yahweh also thundered in the sky. The Most High uttered his voice: hailstones and coals of fire.
- He sent out his arrows, and scattered them; Yes, great lightning bolts, and routed them.
- Then the channels of waters appeared. The foundations of the world were laid bare at your rebuke, Yahweh, at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.
- He sent from on high. He took me. He drew me out of many waters.
- He delivered me from my strong enemy, from those who hated me; for they were too mighty for me.
- They came on me in the day of my calamity, but Yahweh was my support.
- He brought me forth also into a large place. He delivered me, because he delighted in me.
- Yahweh has rewarded me according to my righteousness. According to the cleanness of my hands has he recompensed me.
- For I have kept the ways of Yahweh, and have not wickedly departed from my God.
- For all his ordinances were before me. I didn't put away his statutes from me.
- I was also blameless with him. I kept myself from my iniquity.
- Therefore Yahweh has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his eyesight.
- With the merciful you will show yourself merciful. With the perfect man, you will show yourself perfect.
- With the pure, you will show yourself pure. With the crooked you will show yourself shrewd.
- For you will save the afflicted people, but the haughty eyes you will bring down.
- For you will light my lamp, Yahweh. My God will light up my darkness.
- For by you, I advance through a troop. By my God, I leap over a wall.
- As for God, his way is perfect. The word of Yahweh is tried. He is a shield to all those who take refuge in him.
- For who is God, except Yahweh? Who is a rock, besides our God,
- the God who arms me with strength, and makes my way perfect?
- He makes my feet like deer's feet, and sets me on my high places.
- He teaches my hands to war, so that my arms bend a bow of bronze.
- You have also given me the shield of your salvation. Your right hand sustains me. Your gentleness has made me great.
- You have enlarged my steps under me, My feet have not slipped.
- I will pursue my enemies, and overtake them. Neither will I turn again until they are consumed.
- I will strike them through, so that they will not be able to rise. They shall fall under my feet.
- For you have armed me with strength to the battle. You have subdued under me those who rose up against me.
- You have also made my enemies turn their backs to me, that I might cut off those who hate me.
- They cried, but there was none to save; even to Yahweh, but he didn't answer them.
- Then I beat them small as the dust before the wind. I cast them out as the mire of the streets.
- You have delivered me from the strivings of the people. You have made me the head of the nations. A people whom I have not known shall serve me.
- As soon as they hear of me they shall obey me. The foreigners shall submit themselves to me.
- The foreigners shall fade away, and shall come trembling out of their close places.
- Yahweh lives; and blessed be my rock. Exalted be the God of my salvation,
- even the God who executes vengeance for me, and subdues peoples under me.
- He rescues me from my enemies. Yes, you lift me up above those who rise up against me. You deliver me from the violent man.
- Therefore I will give thanks to you, Yahweh, among the nations, and will sing praises to your name.
- He gives great deliverance to his king, and shows loving kindness to his anointed, to David and to his seed, forevermore. For the Chief Musician. A Psalm by David.
|Psalm 18 Text (Hebrew)
- ארחמך יהוה חזקי׃
- יהוה סלעי ומצודתי ומפלטי אלי צורי אחסה־בו מגני וקרן־ישעי משגבי׃
- מהלל אקרא יהוה ומן־איבי אושע׃
- אפפוני חבלי־מות ונחלי בליעל יבעתוני׃
- חבלי שאול סבבוני קדמוני מוקשי מות׃
- בצר־לי אקרא יהוה ואל־אלהי אשוע ישמע מהיכלו קולי ושועתי לפניו תבוא באזניו׃
- ותגעש ותרעש הארץ ומוסדי הרים ירגזו ויתגעשו כי־חרה לו׃
- עלה עשן באפו ואש־מפיו תאכל גחלים בערו ממנו׃
- ויט שמים וירד וערפל תחת רגליו׃
- וירכב על־כרוב ויעף וידא על־כנפי־רוח׃
- ישת חשך סתרו סביבותיו סכתו חשכת־מים עבי שחקים׃
- מנגה נגדו עביו עברו ברד וגחלי־אש׃
- וירעם בשמים יהוה ועליון יתן קלו ברד וגחלי־אש׃
- וישלח חציו ויפיצם וברקים רב ויהםם׃
- ויראו אפיקי מים ויגלו מוסדות תבל מגערתך יהוה מנשמת רוח אפך׃
- ישלח ממרום יקחני ימשני ממים רבים׃
- יצילני מאיבי עז ומשנאי כי־אמצו ממני׃
- יקדמוני ביום־אידי ויהי־יהוה למשען לי׃
- ויוציאני למרחב יחלצני כי חפץ בי׃
- יגמלני יהוה כצדקי כבר ידי ישיב לי׃
- כי־שמרתי דרכי יהוה ולא־רשעתי מאלהי׃
- כי כל־משפטיו לנגדי וחקתיו לא־אסיר מני׃
- ואהי תמים עמו ואשתמר מעוני׃
- וישב־יהוה לי כצדקי כבר ידי לנגד עיניו׃
- עם־חסיד תתחסד עם־גבר תמים תתםם׃
- עם־נבר תתברר ועם־עקש תתפתל׃
- כי־אתה עם־עני תושיע ועינים רמות תשפיל׃
- כי־אתה תאיר נרי יהוה אלהי יגיה חשכי׃
- כי־בך ארץ גדוד ובאלהי אדלג־שור׃
- האל תמים דרכו אמרת־יהוה צרופה מגן הוא לכל החסים בו׃
- כי מי אלוה מבלעדי יהוה ומי צור זולתי אלהינו׃
- האל המאזרני חיל ויתן תמים דרכי׃
- משוה רגלי כאילות ועל במתי יעמידני׃
- מלמד ידי למלחמה ונחתה קשת־נחושה זרועתי׃
- ותתן־לי מגן ישעך וימינך תסעדני וענותך תרבני׃
- תרחיב צעדי תחתי ולא מעדו קרסלי׃
- ארדוף אויבי ואשיגם ולא־אשוב עד־כלותם׃
- אמחצם ולא־יכלו קום יפלו תחת רגלי׃
- ותאזרני חיל למלחמה תכריע קמי תחתי׃
- ישועות מלכו ועשה חסד למשיחו לדוד ולזרעו עד־עולם׃
- ישועו ואין־מושיע על־יהוה ולא ענם׃
- ואשחקם כעפר על־פני־רוח כטיט חוצות אריקם׃
- תפלטני מריבי עם תשימני לראש גוים עם לא־ידעתי יעבדוני׃
- לשמע אזן ישמעו לי בני־נכר יכחשו־לי׃
- בני־נכר יבלו ויחרגו ממסגרותיהם׃
- חי־יהוה וברוך צורי וירום אלוהי ישעי׃
- האל הנותן נקמות לי וידבר עמים תחתי׃
- מפלטי מאיבי אף מן־קמי תרוממני מאיש חמס תצילני׃
- על־כן אודך בגוים יהוה ולשמך אזמרה׃
- ישועות מלכו ועשה חסד למשיחו לדוד ולזרעו עד־עולם׃
|Psalm 18 Text (Latin)
- In finem. Puero Domini David, qui locutus est Domino verba cantici hujus, in die qua eripuit eum Dominus de manu omnium inimicorum ejus, et de manu Saul, et dixit :
- Dominus firmamentum meum, et refugium meum, et liberator meus. Deus meus adjutor meus, et sperabo in eum ; protector meus, et cornu salutis meæ, et susceptor meus.
- Laudans invocabo Dominum, et ab inimicis meis salvus ero.
- Circumdederunt me dolores mortis, et torrentes iniquitatis conturbaverunt me.
- Dolores inferni circumdederunt me, præoccupaverunt me laquei mortis.
- In tribulatione mea invocavi Dominum, et ad Deum meum clamavi : et exaudivit de templo sancto suo vocem meam ; et clamor meus in conspectu ejus introivit in aures ejus.
- Commota est, et contremuit terra, fundamenta montium conturbata sunt, et commota sunt, quoniam iratus est eis.
- Ascendit fumus in ira ejus, et ignis a facie ejus exarsit ; carbones succensi sunt ab eo.
- Inclinavit cælos, et descendit ; et caligo sub pedibus ejus.
- Et ascendit super cherubim, et volavit ; volavit super pennas ventorum.
- Et posuit tenebras latibulum suum ; in circuitu ejus tabernaculum ejus, tenebrosa aqua in nubibus aëris.
- Præ fulgore in conspectu ejus nubes transierunt, grando et carbones ignis.
- Et intonuit de cælo Dominus, et Altissimus dedit vocem suam : grando et carbones ignis.
- Et misit sagittas suas, et dissipavit eos ; fulgura multiplicavit, et conturbavit eos.
- Et apparuerunt fontes aquarum, et revelata sunt fundamenta orbis terrarum, ab increpatione tua, Domine, ab inspiratione spiritus iræ tuæ.
- Misit de summo, et accepit me ; et assumpsit me de aquis multis.
- Eripuit me de inimicis meis fortissimis, et ab his qui oderunt me. Quoniam confortati sunt super me,
- prævenerunt me in die afflictionis meæ ; et factus est Dominus protector meus.
- Et eduxit me in latitudinem ; salvum me fecit, quoniam voluit me,
- et retribuet mihi Dominus secundum justitiam meam, et secundum puritatem manuum mearum retribuet mihi ;
- quia custodivi vias Domini, nec impie gessi a Deo meo ;
- quoniam omnia judicia ejus in conspectu meo, et justitias ejus non repuli a me.
- Et ero immaculatus cum eo ; et observabo me ab iniquitate mea.
- Et retribuet mihi Dominus secundum justitiam meam, et secundum puritatem manuum mearum in conspectu oculorum ejus.
- Cum sancto sanctus eris, et cum viro innocente innocens eris,
- et cum electo electus eris, et cum perverso perverteris.
- Quoniam tu populum humilem salvum facies, et oculos superborum humiliabis.
- Quoniam tu illuminas lucernam meam, Domine ; Deus meus, illumina tenebras meas.
- Quoniam in te eripiar a tentatione ; et in Deo meo transgrediar murum.
- Deus meus, impolluta via ejus ; eloquia Domini igne examinata ; protector est omnium sperantium in se.
- Quoniam quis Deus præter Dominum ? aut quis Deus præter Deum nostrum ?
- Deus qui præcinxit me virtute, et posuit immaculatam viam meam ;
- qui perfecit pedes meos tamquam cervorum, et super excelsa statuens me ;
- qui docet manus meas ad prælium ; et posuisti, ut arcum æreum, brachia mea ;
- et dedisti mihi protectionem salutis tuæ, et dextera tua suscepit me ; et disciplina tua correxit me in finem, et disciplina tua ipsa me docebit.
- Dilatasti gressus meos subtus me ; et non sunt infirmata vestigia mea.
- Persequar inimicos meos, et comprehendam illos ; et non convertar donec deficiant.
- Confringam illos, nec poterunt stare ; cadent subtus pedes meos.
- Et præcinxisti me virtute ad bellum, et supplantasti insurgentes in me subtus me.
- Et inimicos meos dedisti mihi dorsum, et odientes me disperdidisti.
- Clamaverunt, nec erat qui salvos faceret ; ad Dominum, nec exaudivit eos.
- Et comminuam eos ut pulverem ante faciem venti ; ut lutum platearum delebo eos.
- Eripies me de contradictionibus populi ; constitues me in caput gentium.
- Populus, quem non cognovi, servivit mihi ; in auditu auris obedivit mihi.
- Filii alieni mentiti sunt mihi, filii alieni inveterati sunt, et claudicaverunt a semitis suis.
- Vivit Dominus ! et benedictus Deus meus ! et exaltetur Deus salutis meæ !
- Deus qui das vindictas mihi, et subdis populos sub me ; liberator meus de inimicis meis iracundis.
- Et ab insurgentibus in me exaltabis me ; a viro iniquo eripies me.
- Propterea confitebor tibi in nationibus, Domine, et nomini tuo psalmum dicam ;
- magnificans salutes regis ejus, et faciens misericordiam christo suo David, et semini ejus usque in sæculum.
|Psalm 18 Text (KJV)
- I will love thee, O LORD, my strength.
- The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
- I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.
- The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid.
- The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me.
- In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears.
- Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations also of the hills moved and were shaken, because he was wroth.
- There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it.
- He bowed the heavens also, and came down: and darkness was under his feet.
- And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: yea, he did fly upon the wings of the wind.
- He made darkness his secret place; his pavilion round about him were dark waters and thick clouds of the skies.
- At the brightness that was before him his thick clouds passed, hail stones and coals of fire.
- The LORD also thundered in the heavens, and the Highest gave his voice; hail stones and coals of fire.
- Yea, he sent out his arrows, and scattered them; and he shot out lightnings, and discomfited them.
- Then the channels of waters were seen, and the foundations of the world were discovered at thy rebuke, O LORD, at the blast of the breath of thy nostrils.
- He sent from above, he took me, he drew me out of many waters.
- He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me.
- They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the LORD was my stay.
- He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me.
- The LORD rewarded me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands hath he recompensed me.
- For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God.
- For all his judgments were before me, and I did not put away his statutes from me.
- I was also upright before him, and I kept myself from mine iniquity.
- Therefore hath the LORD recompensed me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his eyesight.
- With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful; with an upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright;
- With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself froward.
- For thou wilt save the afflicted people; but wilt bring down high looks.
- For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness.
- For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall.
- As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.
- For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God?
- It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.
- He maketh my feet like hinds' feet, and setteth me upon my high places.
- He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.
- Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy right hand hath holden me up, and thy gentleness hath made me great.
- Thou hast enlarged my steps under me, that my feet did not slip.
- I have pursued mine enemies, and overtaken them: neither did I turn again till they were consumed.
- I have wounded them that they were not able to rise: they are fallen under my feet.
- For thou hast girded me with strength unto the battle: thou hast subdued under me those that rose up against me.
- Thou hast also given me the necks of mine enemies; that I might destroy them that hate me.
- They cried, but there was none to save them: even unto the LORD, but he answered them not.
- Then did I beat them small as the dust before the wind: I did cast them out as the dirt in the streets.
- Thou hast delivered me from the strivings of the people; and thou hast made me the head of the heathen: a people whom I have not known shall serve me.
- As soon as they hear of me, they shall obey me: the strangers shall submit themselves unto me.
- The strangers shall fade away, and be afraid out of their close places.
- The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted.
- It is God that avengeth me, and subdueth the people under me.
- He delivereth me from mine enemies: yea, thou liftest me up above those that rise up against me: thou hast delivered me from the violent man.
- Therefore will I give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among the heathen, and sing praises unto thy name.
- Great deliverance giveth he to his king; and sheweth mercy to his anointed, to David, and to his seed for evermore.