|Matthew 2 - Versions
|Matthew 2 Text (WEB)
- Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of King Herod, behold, wise men from the east came to Jerusalem, saying,
- "Where is he who is born King of the Jews? For we saw his star in the east, and have come to worship him."
- When King Herod heard it, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
- Gathering together all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he asked them where the Christ would be born.
- They said to him, "In Bethlehem of Judea, for this is written through the prophet,
- 'You Bethlehem, land of Judah, are in no way least among the princes of Judah: for out of you shall come forth a governor, who shall shepherd my people, Israel.'"
- Then Herod secretly called the wise men, and learned from them exactly what time the star appeared.
- He sent them to Bethlehem, and said, "Go and search diligently for the young child. When you have found him, bring me word, so that I also may come and worship him."
- They, having heard the king, went their way; and behold, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, until it came and stood over where the young child was.
- When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy.
- They came into the house and saw the young child with Mary, his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Opening their treasures, they offered to him gifts: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
- Being warned in a dream that they shouldn't return to Herod, they went back to their own country another way.
- Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, "Arise and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and stay there until I tell you, for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him."
- He arose and took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt,
- and was there until the death of Herod; that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying, "Out of Egypt I called my son."
- Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked by the wise men, was exceedingly angry, and sent out, and killed all the male children who were in Bethlehem and in all the surrounding countryside, from two years old and under, according to the exact time which he had learned from the wise men.
- Then that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled, saying,
- "A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, weeping and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children; she wouldn't be comforted, because they are no more."
- But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt, saying,
- "Arise and take the young child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel, for those who sought the young child's life are dead."
- He arose and took the young child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel.
- But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning over Judea in the place of his father, Herod, he was afraid to go there. Being warned in a dream, he withdrew into the region of Galilee,
- and came and lived in a city called Nazareth; that it might be fulfilled which was spoken through the prophets: "He will be called a Nazarene."
|Matthew 2 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי כאשר נולד ישוע בבית לחם יהודה בימי הורדוס המלך ויבאו מגושים מארץ מזרח ירושלימה לאמר׃
- איה מלך היהודים הנולד כי ראינו את כוכבו במזרח ונבא להשתחות לו׃
- ויהי כשמע הורדוס המלך את דבריהם ויבהל הוא וכל ירושלים עמו׃
- ויקהל את כל ראשי הכהנים וסופרי העם וידרש מאתם לאמר איפה יולד המשיח׃
- ויאמרו לו בבית לחם יהודה כי כן כתוב ביד הנביא׃
- ואתה בית לחם ארץ יהודה אינך צעיר באלפי יהודה כי ממך יצא מושל אשר ירעה את עמי ישראל׃
- אז קרא הורדוס למגושים בסתר ויחקר אתם לדעת עת הראות הכוכב׃
- וישלחם בית לחם ויאמר לכו חקרו היטב על דבר הילד והיה כי תמצאון אתו והגדתם לי ואבאה להשתחות לו גם אני׃
- ויהי כשמעם את דברי המלך וילכו והנה הכוכב אשר ראו במזרח דרך לפניהם עד באו אל מקום אשר שם הילד ויעמד ממעל לו׃
- ויראו את הכוכב וישמחו שמחה גדולה עד מאד׃
- ויבאו הביתה וימצאו את הילד עם מרים אמו ויפל על פניהם וישתחוו לו ויפתחו את אוצרותם ויקריבו לו מנחה זהב ולבונה ומר׃
- ויצוו בחלום לבלתי שוב אל הורדוס וילכו בדרך אחר אל ארצם׃
- הם הלכו משם והנה מלאך יהוה נראה אל יוסף בחלום לאמר קום קח את הילד ואת אמו וברח לך מצרימה והיה שם עד אשר אמר אליך כי הורדוס צדה את הילד לאבדו׃
- ויקם ויקח את הילד ואת אמו בלילה ויברח מצרימה׃
- ויהי שם עד מות הורדוס למלאת את אשר דבר יהוה ביד הנביא לאמר ממצרים קראתי לבני׃
- וירא הורדוס כי התלו בו המגושים ויקצף מאד וישלח וימת את כל הילדים אשר בבית לחם ובכל גבוליה מבן שנתים ולמטה כפי העת אשר חקרה מפי המגושים׃
- וימלא הדבר הנאמר בפי ירמיה הנביא לאמר׃
- קול ברמה נשמע נהי ובכי תמרורים רחל מבכה על בניה מאנה להנחם כי אינם׃
- ויהי אחרי מות הורדוס והנה מלאך יהוה נראה בחלום אל יוסף בארץ מצרים׃
- ויאמר אליו קום קח את הילד ואת אמו ולך שוב אל ארץ ישראל כי מתו המבקשים את נפש הילד׃
- ויקם ויקח את הילד ואת אמו ויבא ארצה ישראל׃
- וכשמעו כי ארקלוס מלך ביהודה תחת הורדוס אביו ירא ללכת שמה ויצוה בחלום וילך לו אל ארצות הגליל׃
- ויבא וישב בעיר אשר שמה נצרת למלאת הדבר הנאמר על פי הנביאים כי נצרי יקרא לו׃
|Matthew 2 Text (Latin)
- Cum ergo natus esset Jesus in Bethlehem Juda in diebus Herodis regis, ecce magi ab oriente venerunt Jerosolymam,
- dicentes : Ubi est qui natus est rex Judæorum ? vidimus enim stellam ejus in oriente, et venimus adorare eum.
- Audiens autem Herodes rex, turbatus est, et omnis Jerosolyma cum illo.
- Et congregans omnes principes sacerdotum, et scribas populi, sciscitabatur ab eis ubi Christus nasceretur.
- At illi dixerunt : In Bethlehem Judæ : sic enim scriptum est per prophetam :
- Et tu Bethlehem terra Juda, nequaquam minima es in principibus Juda : ex te enim exiet dux, qui regat populum meum Israël.
- Tunc Herodes clam vocatis magis diligenter didicit ab eis tempus stellæ, quæ apparuit eis :
- et mittens illos in Bethlehem, dixit : Ite, et interrogate diligenter de puero : et cum inveneritis, renuntiate mihi, ut et ego veniens adorem eum.
- Qui cum audissent regem, abierunt, et ecce stella, quam viderant in oriente, antecedebat eos, usque dum veniens staret supra, ubi erat puer.
- Videntes autem stellam gavisi sunt gaudio magno valde.
- Et intrantes domum, invenerunt puerum cum Maria matre ejus, et procidentes adoraverunt eum : et apertis thesauris suis obtulerunt ei munera, aurum, thus, et myrrham.
- Et responso accepto in somnis ne redirent ad Herodem, per aliam viam reversi sunt in regionem suam.
- Qui cum recessissent, ecce angelus Domini apparuit in somnis Joseph, dicens : Surge, et accipe puerum, et matrem ejus, et fuge in Ægyptum, et esto ibi usque dum dicam tibi. Futurum est enim ut Herodes quærat puerum ad perdendum eum.
- Qui consurgens accepit puerum et matrem ejus nocte, et secessit in Ægyptum :
- et erat ibi usque ad obitum Herodis : ut adimpleretur quod dictum est a Domino per prophetam dicentem : Ex Ægypto vocavi filium meum.
- Tunc Herodes videns quoniam illusus esset a magis, iratus est valde, et mittens occidit omnes pueros, qui erant in Bethlehem, et in omnibus finibus ejus, a bimatu et infra secundum tempus, quod exquisierat a magis.
- Tunc adimpletum est quod dictum est per Jeremiam prophetam dicentem :
- Vox in Rama audita est ploratus, et ululatus multus : Rachel plorans filios suos, et noluit consolari, quia non sunt.
- Defuncto autem Herode, ecce angelus Domini apparuit in somnis Joseph in Ægypto,
- dicens : Surge, et accipe puerum, et matrem ejus, et vade in terram Israël : defuncti sunt enim qui quærebant animam pueri.
- Qui consurgens, accepit puerum, et matrem ejus, et venit in terram Israël.
- Audiens autem quod Archelaus regnaret in Judæa pro Herode patre suo, timuit illo ire : et admonitus in somnis, secessit in partes Galilææ.
- Et veniens habitavit in civitate quæ vocatur Nazareth : ut adimpleretur quod dictum est per prophetas : Quoniam Nazaræus vocabitur.
|Matthew 2 Text (KJV)
- Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
- Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
- When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
- And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
- And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
- And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.
- Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, inquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.
- And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.
- When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.
- When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.
- And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.
- And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.
- And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.
- When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:
- And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.
- Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men.
- Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying,
- In Rama was there a voice heard, lamentation, and weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are not.
- But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt,
- Saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young child's life.
- And he arose, and took the young child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel.
- But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee:
- And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.