|Judges 7 - Versions
|Judges 7 Text (WEB)
- Then Jerubbaal, who is Gideon, and all the people who were with him, rose up early, and encamped beside the spring of Harod: and the camp of Midian was on the north side of them, by the hill of Moreh, in the valley.
- Yahweh said to Gideon, "The people who are with you are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hand, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, 'My own hand has saved me.'
- Now therefore proclaim in the ears of the people, saying, 'Whoever is fearful and trembling, let him return and depart from Mount Gilead.'" Twenty-two thousand of the people returned, and ten thousand remained.
- Yahweh said to Gideon, "The people are still too many. Bring them down to the water, and I will test them for you there. It shall be, that of whom I tell you, 'This shall go with you,' the same shall go with you; and of whoever I tell you, 'This shall not go with you,' the same shall not go."
- So he brought down the people to the water; and Yahweh said to Gideon, "Everyone who laps of the water with his tongue, like a dog laps, you shall set him by himself; likewise everyone who bows down on his knees to drink."
- The number of those who lapped, putting their hand to their mouth, was three hundred men; but all the rest of the people bowed down on their knees to drink water.
- Yahweh said to Gideon, "By the three hundred men who lapped will I save you, and deliver the Midianites into your hand. Let all the other people go, each to his own place."
- So the people took food in their hand, and their trumpets; and he sent all the men of Israel every man to his tent, but retained the three hundred men: and the camp of Midian was beneath him in the valley.
- It happened the same night, that Yahweh said to him, "Arise, go down into the camp; for I have delivered it into your hand.
- But if you are afraid to go down, go with Purah your servant down to the camp:
- and you shall hear what they say; and afterward your hands will be strengthened to go down into the camp." Then went he down with Purah his servant to the outermost part of the armed men who were in the camp.
- The Midianites and the Amalekites and all the children of the east lay along in the valley like locusts for multitude; and their camels were without number, as the sand which is on the seashore for multitude.
- When Gideon had come, behold, there was a man telling a dream to his fellow; and he said, "Behold, I dreamed a dream; and behold, a cake of barley bread tumbled into the camp of Midian, and came to the tent, and struck it so that it fell, and turned it upside down, so that the tent lay flat."
- His fellow answered, "This is nothing other than the sword of Gideon the son of Joash, a man of Israel. God has delivered Midian into his hand, with all the army."
- It was so, when Gideon heard the telling of the dream, and its interpretation, that he worshiped; and he returned into the camp of Israel, and said, "Arise; for Yahweh has delivered the army of Midian into your hand!"
- He divided the three hundred men into three companies, and he put into the hands of all of them trumpets, and empty pitchers, with torches within the pitchers.
- He said to them, "Watch me, and do likewise. Behold, when I come to the outermost part of the camp, it shall be that, as I do, so you shall do.
- When I blow the trumpet, I and all who are with me, then blow the trumpets also on every side of all the camp, and shout, 'For Yahweh and for Gideon!'"
- So Gideon, and the hundred men who were with him, came to the outermost part of the camp in the beginning of the middle watch, when they had but newly set the watch: and they blew the trumpets, and broke in pieces the pitchers that were in their hands.
- The three companies blew the trumpets, and broke the pitchers, and held the torches in their left hands, and the trumpets in their right hands with which to blow; and they shouted, "The sword of Yahweh and of Gideon!"
- They stood every man in his place around the camp; and all the army ran; and they shouted, and put [them] to flight.
- They blew the three hundred trumpets, and Yahweh set every man's sword against his fellow, and against all the army; and the army fled as far as Beth Shittah toward Zererah, as far as the border of Abel Meholah, by Tabbath.
- The men of Israel were gathered together out of Naphtali, and out of Asher, and out of all Manasseh, and pursued after Midian.
- Gideon sent messengers throughout all the hill country of Ephraim, saying, "Come down against Midian, and take before them the waters, as far as Beth Barah, even the Jordan!" So all the men of Ephraim were gathered together, and took the waters as far as Beth Barah, even the Jordan.
- They took the two princes of Midian, Oreb and Zeeb; and they killed Oreb at the rock of Oreb, and Zeeb they killed at the winepress of Zeeb, and pursued Midian: and they brought the heads of Oreb and Zeeb to Gideon beyond the Jordan.
|Judges 7 Text (Hebrew)
- וישכם ירבעל הוא גדעון וכל־העם אשר אתו ויחנו על־עין חרד ומחנה מדין היה־לו מצפון מגבעת המורה בעמק׃
- ויאמר יהוה אל־גדעון רב העם אשר אתך מתתי את־מדין בידם פן־יתפאר עלי ישראל לאמר ידי הושיעה לי׃
- ועתה קרא נא באזני העם לאמר מי־ירא וחרד ישב ויצפר מהר הגלעד וישב מן־העם עשרים ושנים אלף ועשרת אלפים נשארו׃ ס
- ויאמר יהוה אל־גדעון עוד העם רב הורד אותם אל־המים ואצרפנו לך שם והיה אשר אמר אליך זה ילך אתך הוא ילך אתך וכל אשר־אמר אליך זה לא־ילך עמך הוא לא ילך׃
- ויורד את־העם אל־המים ס ויאמר יהוה אל־גדעון כל אשר־ילק בלשונו מן־המים כאשר ילק הכלב תציג אותו לבד וכל אשר־יכרע על־ברכיו לשתות׃
- ויהי מספר המלקקים בידם אל־פיהם שלש מאות איש וכל יתר העם כרעו על־ברכיהם לשתות מים׃ ס
- ויאמר יהוה אל־גדעון בשלש מאות האיש המלקקים אושיע אתכם ונתתי את־מדין בידך וכל־העם ילכו איש למקמו׃
- ויקחו את־צדה העם בידם ואת שופרתיהם ואת כל־איש ישראל שלח איש לאהליו ובשלש־מאות האיש החזיק ומחנה מדין היה לו מתחת בעמק׃ ף
- ויהי בלילה ההוא ויאמר אליו יהוה קום רד במחנה כי נתתיו בידך׃
- ואם־ירא אתה לרדת רד אתה ופרה נערך אל־המחנה׃
- ושמעת מה־ידברו ואחר תחזקנה ידיך וירדת במחנה וירד הוא ופרה נערו אל־קצה החמשים אשר במחנה׃
- ומדין ועמלק וכל־בני־קדם נפלים בעמק כארבה לרב ולגמליהם אין מספר כחול שעל־שפת הים לרב׃
- ויבא גדעון והנה־איש מספר לרעהו חלום ויאמר הנה חלום חלמתי והנה לחם שערים מתהפך במחנה מדין ויבא עד־האהל ויכהו ויפל ויהפכהו למעלה ונפל האהל׃
- ויען רעהו ויאמר אין זאת בלתי אם־חרב גדעון בן־יואש איש ישראל נתן האלהים בידו את־מדין ואת־כל־המחנה׃ ף
- ויהי כשמע גדעון את־מספר החלום ואת־שברו וישתחו וישב אל־מחנה ישראל ויאמר קומו כי־נתן יהוה בידכם את־מחנה מדין׃
- ויחץ את־שלש־מאות האיש שלשה ראשים ויתן שופרות ביד־כלם וכדים רקים ולפדים בתוך הכדים׃
- ויאמר אליהם ממני תראו וכן תעשו והנה אנכי בא בקצה המחנה והיה כאשר־אעשה כן תעשון׃
- ותקעתי בשופר אנכי וכל־אשר אתי ותקעתם בשופרות גם־אתם סביבות כל־המחנה ואמרתם ליהוה ולגדעון׃ ף
- ויבא גדעון ומאה־איש אשר־אתו בקצה המחנה ראש האשמרת התיכונה אך הקם הקימו את־השמרים ויתקעו בשופרות ונפוץ הכדים אשר בידם׃
- ויתקעו שלשת הראשים בשופרות וישברו הכדים ויחזיקו ביד־שמאולם בלפדים וביד־ימינם השופרות לתקוע ויקראו חרב ליהוה ולגדעון׃
- ויעמדו איש תחתיו סביב למחנה וירץ כל־המחנה ויריעו ׃
- ויתקעו שלש־מאות השופרות וישם יהוה את חרב איש ברעהו ובכל־המחנה וינס המחנה עד־בית השטה צררתה עד שפת־אבל מחולה על־טבת׃
- ויצעק איש־ישראל מנפתלי ומן־אשר ומן־כל־מנשה וירדפו אחרי מדין׃
- ומלאכים שלח גדעון בכל־הר אפרים לאמר רדו לקראת מדין ולכדו להם את־המים עד בית ברה ואת־הירדן ויצעק כל־איש אפרים וילכדו את־המים עד בית ברה ואת־הירדן׃
- וילכדו שני־שרי מדין את־ערב ואת־זאב ויהרגו את־עורב בצור־עורב ואת־זאב הרגו ביקב־זאב וירדפו אל־מדין וראש־ערב וזאב הביאו אל־גדעון מעבר לירדן׃
|Judges 7 Text (Latin)
- Igitur Jerobaal qui et Gedeon, de nocte consurgens, et omnis populus cum eo, venit ad fontem qui vocatur Harad. Erant autem castra Madian in valle ad septentrionalem plagam collis excelsi.
- Dixitque Dominus ad Gedeon : Multus tecum est populus, nec tradetur Madian in manus ejus : ne glorietur contra me Israël, et dicat : Meis viribus liberatus sum.
- Loquere ad populum, et cunctis audientibus prædica : Qui formidolosus et timidus est, revertatur. Recesseruntque de monte Galaad, et reversi sunt de populo viginti duo millia virorum, et tantum decem millia remanserunt.
- Dixitque Dominus ad Gedeon : Adhuc populus multus est : duc eos ad aquas et ibi probabo illos : et de quo dixero tibi ut tecum vadat, ipse pergat ; quem ire prohibuero, revertatur.
- Cumque descendisset populus ad aquas, dixit Dominus ad Gedeon : Qui lingua lambuerint aquas, sicut solent canes lambere, separabis eos seorsum : qui autem curvatis genibus biberint, in altera parte erunt.
- Fuit itaque numerus eorum qui manu ad os projiciente, lambuerunt aquas trecenti viri : omnis autem reliqua multitudo flexo poplite biberat.
- Et ait Dominus ad Gedeon : In trecentis viris qui lambuerunt aquas, liberabo vos, et tradam in manu tua Madian : omnis autem reliqua multitudo revertatur in locum suum.
- Sumptis itaque pro numero cibariis et tubis, omnem reliquam multitudinem abire præcepit ad tabernacula sua : et ipse cum trecentis viris se certamini dedit. Castra autem Madian erant subter in valle.
- Eadem nocte dixit Dominus ad eum : Surge, et descende in castra : quia tradidi eos in manu tua.
- Sin autem solus ire formidas, descendat tecum Phara puer tuus.
- Et cum audieris quid loquantur, tunc confortabuntur manus tuæ, et securior ad hostium castra descendes. Descendit ergo ipse et Phara puer ejus in partem castrorum, ubi erant armatorum vigiliæ.
- Madian autem et Amalec, et omnes orientales populi, fusi jacebant in valle, ut locustarum multitudo : cameli quoque innumerabiles erant, sicut arena quæ jacet in littore maris.
- Cumque venisset Gedeon, narrabat aliquis somnium proximo suo : et in hunc modum referebat quod viderat : Vidi somnium, et videbatur mihi quasi subcinericius panis ex hordeo volvi, et in castra Madian descendere : cumque pervenisset ad tabernaculum, percussit illud, atque subvertit, et terræ funditus coæquavit.
- Respondit is, cui loquebatur : Non est hoc aliud, nisi gladius Gedeonis filii Joas viri Israëlitæ : tradidit enim Dominus in manus ejus Madian, et omnia castra ejus.
- Cumque audisset Gedeon somnium, et interpretationem ejus, adoravit : et reversus est ad castra Israël, et ait : Surgite, tradidit enim Dominus in manus nostras castra Madian.
- Divisitque trecentos viros in tres partes, et dedit tubas in manibus eorum, lagenasque vacuas ac lampades in medio lagenarum.
- Et dixit ad eos : Quod me facere videritis, hoc facite : ingrediar partem castrorum, et quod fecero sectamini.
- Quando personuerit tuba in manu mea, vos quoque per castrorum circuitum clangite, et conclamate : Domino et Gedeoni.
- Ingressusque est Gedeon, et trecenti viri qui erant cum eo, in partem castrorum, incipientibus vigiliis noctis mediæ, et custodibus suscitatis, cœperunt buccinis clangere, et complodere inter se lagenas.
- Cumque per gyrum castrorum in tribus personarent locis, et hydrias confregissent, tenuerunt sinistris manibus lampades, et dextris sonantes tubas, clamaveruntque : Gladius Domini et Gedeonis :
- stantes singuli in loco suo per circuitum castrorum hostilium. Omnia itaque castra turbata sunt, et vociferantes ululantesque fugerunt :
- et nihilominus insistebant trecenti viri buccinis personantes. Immisitque Dominus gladium omnibus castris, et mutua se cæde truncabant,
- fugientes usque ad Bethsetta, et crepidinem Abelmehula in Tebbath. Conclamantes autem viri Israël de Nephthali, et Aser, et omni Manasse, persequebantur Madian.
- Misitque Gedeon nuntios in omnem montem Ephraim, dicens : Descendite in occursum Madian, et occupate aquas usque Bethbera atque Jordanem. Clamavitque omnis Ephraim, et præoccupavit aquas atque Jordanem usque Bethbera.
- Apprehensosque duos viros Madian, Oreb et Zeb, interfecit Oreb in petra Oreb, Zeb vero in torculari Zeb. Et persecuti sunt Madian, capita Oreb et Zeb portantes ad Gedeon trans fluenta Jordanis.
|Judges 7 Text (KJV)
- Then Jerubbaal, who is Gideon, and all the people that were with him, rose up early, and pitched beside the well of Harod: so that the host of the Midianites were on the north side of them, by the hill of Moreh, in the valley.
- And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people that are with thee are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, Mine own hand hath saved me.
- Now therefore go to, proclaim in the ears of the people, saying, Whosoever is fearful and afraid, let him return and depart early from mount Gilead. And there returned of the people twenty and two thousand; and there remained ten thousand.
- And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people are yet too many; bring them down unto the water, and I will try them for thee there: and it shall be, that of whom I say unto thee, This shall go with thee, the same shall go with thee; and of whomsoever I say unto thee, This shall not go with thee, the same shall not go.
- So he brought down the people unto the water: and the LORD said unto Gideon, Every one that lappeth of the water with his tongue, as a dog lappeth, him shalt thou set by himself; likewise every one that boweth down upon his knees to drink.
- And the number of them that lapped, putting their hand to their mouth, were three hundred men: but all the rest of the people bowed down upon their knees to drink water.
- And the LORD said unto Gideon, By the three hundred men that lapped will I save you, and deliver the Midianites into thine hand: and let all the other people go every man unto his place.
- So the people took victuals in their hand, and their trumpets: and he sent all the rest of Israel every man unto his tent, and retained those three hundred men: and the host of Midian was beneath him in the valley.
- And it came to pass the same night, that the LORD said unto him, Arise, get thee down unto the host; for I have delivered it into thine hand.
- But if thou fear to go down, go thou with Phurah thy servant down to the host:
- And thou shalt hear what they say; and afterward shall thine hands be strengthened to go down unto the host. Then went he down with Phurah his servant unto the outside of the armed men that were in the host.
- And the Midianites and the Amalekites and all the children of the east lay along in the valley like grasshoppers for multitude; and their camels were without number, as the sand by the sea side for multitude.
- And when Gideon was come, behold, there was a man that told a dream unto his fellow, and said, Behold, I dreamed a dream, and, lo, a cake of barley bread tumbled into the host of Midian, and came unto a tent, and smote it that it fell, and overturned it, that the tent lay along.
- And his fellow answered and said, This is nothing else save the sword of Gideon the son of Joash, a man of Israel: for into his hand hath God delivered Midian, and all the host.
- And it was so, when Gideon heard the telling of the dream, and the interpretation thereof, that he worshipped, and returned into the host of Israel, and said, Arise; for the LORD hath delivered into your hand the host of Midian.
- And he divided the three hundred men into three companies, and he put a trumpet in every man's hand, with empty pitchers, and lamps within the pitchers.
- And he said unto them, Look on me, and do likewise: and, behold, when I come to the outside of the camp, it shall be that, as I do, so shall ye do.
- When I blow with a trumpet, I and all that are with me, then blow ye the trumpets also on every side of all the camp, and say, The sword of the LORD, and of Gideon.
- So Gideon, and the hundred men that were with him, came unto the outside of the camp in the beginning of the middle watch; and they had but newly set the watch: and they blew the trumpets, and brake the pitchers that were in their hands.
- And the three companies blew the trumpets, and brake the pitchers, and held the lamps in their left hands, and the trumpets in their right hands to blow withal: and they cried, The sword of the LORD, and of Gideon.
- And they stood every man in his place round about the camp: and all the host ran, and cried, and fled.
- And the three hundred blew the trumpets, and the LORD set every man's sword against his fellow, even throughout all the host: and the host fled to Beth-shittah in Zererath, and to the border of Abel-meholah, unto Tabbath.
- And the men of Israel gathered themselves together out of Naphtali, and out of Asher, and out of all Manasseh, and pursued after the Midianites.
- And Gideon sent messengers throughout all mount Ephraim, saying, Come down against the Midianites, and take before them the waters unto Beth-barah and Jordan. Then all the men of Ephraim gathered themselves together, and took the waters unto Beth-barah and Jordan.
- And they took two princes of the Midianites, Oreb and Zeeb; and they slew Oreb upon the rock Oreb, and Zeeb they slew at the winepress of Zeeb, and pursued Midian, and brought the heads of Oreb and Zeeb to Gideon on the other side Jordan.