|Joshua 8 - Versions
|Joshua 8 Text (WEB)
- Yahweh said to Joshua, "Don't be afraid, neither be dismayed. Take all the people of war with you, and arise, go up to Ai. Behold, I have given into your hand the king of Ai, with his people, his city, and his land.
- You shall do to Ai and her king as you did to Jericho and her king, except its spoil and its livestock, you shall take for a plunder for yourselves. Set an ambush for the city behind it."
- So Joshua arose, and all the people of war, to go up to Ai. Joshua chose thirty thousand men, the mighty men of valor, and sent them out by night.
- He commanded them, saying, "Behold, you shall lie in ambush against the city, behind the city. Don't go very far from the city, but all of you be ready.
- I, and all the people who are with me, will approach to the city. It shall happen, when they come out against us, as at the first, that we will flee before them.
- They will come out after us, until we have drawn them away from the city; for they will say, 'They flee before us, like the first time.' So we will flee before them,
- and you shall rise up from the ambush, and take possession of the city; for Yahweh your God will deliver it into your hand.
- It shall be, when you have seized on the city, that you shall set the city on fire. You shall do this according to the word of Yahweh. Behold, I have commanded you."
- Joshua sent them out; and they went to set up the ambush, and stayed between Bethel and Ai, on the west side of Ai; but Joshua stayed among the people that night.
- Joshua rose up early in the morning, mustered the people, and went up, he and the elders of Israel, before the people to Ai.
- All the people, even the men of war who were with him, went up, and drew near, and came before the city, and encamped on the north side of Ai. Now there was a valley between him and Ai.
- He took about five thousand men, and set them in ambush between Bethel and Ai, on the west side of the city.
- So they set the people, even all the army who was on the north of the city, and their ambush on the west of the city; and Joshua went that night into the midst of the valley.
- It happened, when the king of Ai saw it, that they hurried and rose up early, and the men of the city went out against Israel to battle, he and all his people, at the time appointed, before the Arabah; but he didn't know that there was an ambush against him behind the city.
- Joshua and all Israel made as if they were beaten before them, and fled by the way of the wilderness.
- All the people who were in the city were called together to pursue after them. They pursued Joshua, and were drawn away from the city.
- There was not a man left in Ai or Beth El who didn't go out after Israel. They left the city open, and pursued Israel.
- Yahweh said to Joshua, "Stretch out the javelin that is in your hand toward Ai, for I will give it into your hand." Joshua stretched out the javelin that was in his hand toward the city.
- The ambush arose quickly out of their place, and they ran as soon as he had stretched out his hand, and entered into the city, and took it. They hurried and set the city on fire.
- When the men of Ai looked behind them, they saw, and behold, the smoke of the city ascended up to heaven, and they had no power to flee this way or that way. The people who fled to the wilderness turned back on the pursuers.
- When Joshua and all Israel saw that the ambush had taken the city, and that the smoke of the city ascended, then they turned again, and killed the men of Ai.
- The others came out of the city against them, so they were in the midst of Israel, some on this side, and some on that side. They struck them, so that they let none of them remain or escape.
- They captured the king of Ai alive, and brought him to Joshua.
- It happened, when Israel had made an end of killing all the inhabitants of Ai in the field, in the wilderness in which they pursued them, and they had all fallen by the edge of the sword, until they were consumed, that all Israel returned to Ai, and struck it with the edge of the sword.
- All that fell that day, both of men and women, were twelve thousand, even all the men of Ai.
- For Joshua didn't draw back his hand, with which he stretched out the javelin, until he had utterly destroyed all the inhabitants of Ai.
- Only the livestock and the spoil of that city Israel took for prey to themselves, according to the word of Yahweh which he commanded Joshua.
- So Joshua burnt Ai, and made it a heap forever, even a desolation, to this day.
- He hanged the king of Ai on a tree until the evening, and at the sundown Joshua commanded, and they took his body down from the tree, and threw it at the entrance of the gate of the city, and raised a great heap of stones on it that remains to this day.
- Then Joshua built an altar to Yahweh, the God of Israel, in Mount Ebal,
- as Moses the servant of Yahweh commanded the children of Israel, as it is written in the book of the law of Moses, an altar of uncut stones, on which no man had lifted up any iron. They offered burnt offerings on it to Yahweh, and sacrificed peace offerings.
- He wrote there on the stones a copy of the law of Moses, which he wrote in the presence of the children of Israel.
- All Israel, and their elders and officers, and their judges, stood on this side of the ark and on that side before the priests the Levites, who carried the ark of Yahweh's covenant, the foreigner as well as the native; half of them in front of Mount Gerizim, and half of them in front of Mount Ebal, as Moses the servant of Yahweh had commanded at the first, that they should bless the people of Israel.
- Afterward he read all the words of the law, the blessing and the curse, according to all that is written in the book of the law.
- There was not a word of all that Moses commanded, which Joshua didn't read before all the assembly of Israel, with the women, the little ones, and the foreigners who were among them.
|Joshua 8 Text (Hebrew)
- ויאמר יהוה אל־יהושע אל־תירא ואל־תחת קח עמך את כל־עם המלחמה וקום עלה העי ראה נתתי בידך את־מלך העי ואת־עמו ואת־עירו ואת־ארצו׃
- ועשית לעי ולמלכה כאשר עשית ליריחו ולמלכה רק־שללה ובהמתה תבזו לכם שים־לך ארב לעיר מאחריה׃
- ויקם יהושע וכל־עם המלחמה לעלות העי ויבחר יהושע שלשים אלף איש גבורי החיל וישלחם לילה׃
- ויצו אתם לאמר ראו אתם ארבים לעיר מאחרי העיר אל־תרחיקו מן־העיר מאד והייתם כלכם נכנים׃
- ואני וכל־העם אשר אתי נקרב אל־העיר והיה כי־יצאו לקראתנו כאשר בראשנה ונסנו לפניהם׃
- ויצאו אחרינו עד התיקנו אותם מן־העיר כי יאמרו נסים לפנינו כאשר בראשנה ונסנו לפניהם׃
- ואתם תקמו מהאורב והורשתם את־העיר ונתנה יהוה אלהיכם בידכם׃
- והיה כתפשכם את־העיר תציתו את־העיר באש כדבר יהוה תעשו ראו צויתי אתכם׃
- וישלחם יהושע וילכו אל־המארב וישבו בין בית־אל ובין העי מים לעי וילן יהושע בלילה ההוא בתוך העם׃
- וישכם יהושע בבקר ויפקד את־העם ויעל הוא וזקני ישראל לפני העם העי׃
- וכל־העם המלחמה אשר אתו עלו ויגשו ויבאו נגד העיר ויחנו מצפון לעי והגי ובין־העי׃
- ויקח כחמשת אלפים איש וישם אותם ארב בין בית־אל ובין העי מים לעיר׃
- וישימו העם את־כל־המחנה אשר מצפון לעיר ואת־עקבו מים לעיר וילך יהושע בלילה ההוא בתוך העמק׃
- ויהי כראות מלך־העי וימהרו וישכימו ויצאו אנשי־העיר לקראת־ישראל למלחמה הוא וכל־עמו למועד לפני הערבה והוא לא ידע כי־ארב לו מאחרי העיר׃
- וינגעו יהושע וכל־ישראל לפניהם וינסו דרך המדבר׃
- ויזעקו כל־העם אשר לרדף אחריהם וירדפו אחרי יהושע וינתקו מן־העיר׃
- ולא־נשאר איש בעי ובית אל אשר לא־יצאו אחרי ישראל ויעזבו את־העיר פתוחה וירדפו אחרי ישראל׃ ף
- ויאמר יהוה אל־יהושע נטה בכידון אשר־בידך אל־העי כי בידך אתננה ויט יהושע בכידון אשר־בידו אל־העיר׃
- והאורב קם מהרה ממקומו וירוצו כנטות ידו ויבאו העיר וילכדוה וימהרו ויציתו את־העיר באש׃
- ויפנו אנשי העי אחריהם ויראו והנה עלה עשן העיר השמימה ולא־היה בהם ידים לנוס הנה והנה והעם הנס המדבר נהפך אל־הרודף׃
- ויהושע וכל־ישראל ראו כי־לכד הארב את־העיר וכי עלה עשן העיר וישבו ויכו את־אנשי העי׃
- ואלה יצאו מן־העיר לקראתם ויהיו לישראל בתוך אלה מזה ואלה מזה ויכו אותם עד־בלתי השאיר־לו שריד ופליט׃
- ואת־מלך העי תפשו חי ויקרבו אתו אל־יהושע׃
- ויהי ככלות ישראל להרג את־כל־ישבי העי בשדה במדבר אשר רדפום בו ויפלו כלם לפי־חרב עד־תםם וישבו כל־ישראל העי ויכו אתה לפי־חרב׃
- ויהי כל־הנפלים ביום ההוא מאיש ועד־אשה שנים עשר אלף כל אנשי העי׃
- ויהושע לא־השיב ידו אשר נטה בכידון עד אשר החרים את כל־ישבי העי׃
- רק הבהמה ושלל העיר ההיא בזזו להם ישראל כדבר יהוה אשר צוה את־יהושע׃
- וישרף יהושע את־העי וישימה תל־עולם שממה עד היום הזה׃
- ואת־מלך העי תלה על־העץ עד־עת הערב וכבוא השמש צוה יהושע וירידו את־נבלתו מן־העץ וישליכו אותה אל־פתח שער העיר ויקימו עליו גל־אבנים גדול עד היום הזה׃ ף
- אז יבנה יהושע מזבח ליהוה אלהי ישראל בהר עיבל׃
- כאשר צוה משה עבד־יהוה את־בני ישראל ככתוב בספר תורת משה מזבח אבנים שלמות אשר לא־הניף עליהן ברזל ויעלו עליו עלות ליהוה ויזבחו שלמים׃
- ויכתב־שם על־האבנים את משנה תורת משה אשר כתב לפני בני ישראל׃
- וכל־ישראל וזקניו ושטרים ושפטיו עמדים מזה ומזה לארון נגד הכהנים הלוים נשאי ארון ברית־יהוה כגר כאזרח חציו אל־מול הר־גרזים והחציו אל־מול הר־עיבל כאשר צוה משה עבד־יהוה לברך את־העם ישראל בראשנה׃
- ואחרי־כן קרא את־כל־דברי התורה הברכה והקללה ככל־הכתוב בספר התורה׃
- לא־היה דבר מכל אשר־צוה משה אשר לא־קרא יהושע נגד כל־קהל ישראל והנשים והטף והגר ההלך בקרבם׃ ף
|Joshua 8 Text (Latin)
- Dixit autem Dominus ad Josue : Ne timeas, neque formides : tolle tecum omnem multitudinem pugnatorum, et consurgens ascende in oppidum Hai. Ecce tradidi in manu tua regem ejus, et populum, urbemque et terram.
- Faciesque urbi Hai, et regi ejus, sicut fecisti Jericho, et regi illius : prædam vero, et omnia animantia diripietis vobis : pone insidias urbi post eam.
- Surrexitque Josue, et omnis exercitus bellatorum cum eo, ut ascenderent in Hai : et electa triginta millia virorum fortium misit nocte,
- præcepitque eis, dicens : Ponite insidias post civitatem : nec longius recedatis : et eritis omnes parati.
- Ego autem, et reliqua multitudo, quæ mecum est, accedemus ex adverso contra urbem. Cumque exierint contra nos, sicut ante fecimus : fugiemus, et terga vertemus,
- donec persequentes ab urbe longius protrahantur : putabunt enim nos fugere sicut prius.
- Nobis ergo fugientibus, et illis persequentibus, consurgetis de insidiis, et vastabitis civitatem : tradetque eam Dominus Deus vester in manus vestras.
- Cumque ceperitis, succendite eam, et sic omnia facietis, ut jussi.
- Dimisitque eos, et perrexerunt ad locum insidiarum, sederuntque inter Bethel et Hai, ad occidentalem plagam urbis Hai : Josue autem nocte illa in medio mansit populi,
- surgensque diluculo recensuit socios, et ascendit cum senioribus in fronte exercitus, vallatus auxilio pugnatorum.
- Cumque venissent et ascendissent ex adverso civitatis, steterunt ad septentrionalem urbis plagam, inter quam et eos erat vallis media.
- Quinque autem millia viros elegerat, et posuerat in insidiis inter Bethel et Hai ex occidentali parte ejusdem civitatis :
- omnis vero reliquus exercitus ad aquilonem aciem dirigebat, ita ut novissimi illius multitudinis occidentalem plagam urbis attingerent. Abiit ergo Josue nocte illa, et stetit in vallis medio.
- Quod cum vidisset rex Hai, festinavit mane, et egressus est cum omni exercitu civitatis, direxitque aciem contra desertum, ignorans quod post tergum laterent insidiæ.
- Josue vero et omnis Israël cesserunt loco, simulantes metum, et fugientes per solitudinis viam.
- At illi vociferante pariter, et se mutuo cohortantes, persecuti sunt eos. Cumque recessissent a civitate,
- et ne unus quidem in urbe Hai et Bethel remansisset qui non persequeretur Israël (sicut eruperant aperta oppida relinquentes),
- dixit Dominus ad Josue : Leva clypeum, qui in manu tua est, contra urbem Hai, quoniam tibi tradam eam.
- Cumque elevasset clypeum ex adverso civitatis, insidiæ, quæ latebant, surrexerunt confestim : et pergentes ad civitatem, ceperunt, et succenderunt eam.
- Viri autem civitatis, qui persequebantur Josue, respicientes et videntes fumum urbis ad cælum usque conscendere, non potuerunt ultra huc illucque diffugere : præsertim cum hi qui simulaverant fugam, et tendebant ad solitudinem, contra persequentes fortissime restitissent.
- Vidensque Josue et omnis Israël quod capta esset civitas, et fumus urbis ascenderet, reversus percussit viros Hai.
- Siquidem et illi qui ceperant et succenderant civitatem, egressi ex urbe contra suos, medios hostium ferire cœperunt. Cum ergo ex utraque parte adversarii cæderentur, ita ut nullus de tanta multitudine salvaretur,
- regem quoque urbis Hai apprehenderunt viventem, et obtulerunt Josue.
- Igitur omnibus interfectis, qui Israëlem ad deserta tendentem fuerant persecuti, et in eodem loco gladio corruentibus, reversi filii Israël percusserunt civitatem.
- Erant autem qui in eodem die conciderant a viro usque ad mulierem, duodecim millia hominum, omnes urbis Hai.
- Josue vero non contraxit manum, quam in sublime porrexerat, tenens clypeum donec interficerentur omnes habitatores Hai.
- Jumenta autem et prædam civitatis diviserunt sibi filii Israël, sicut præceperat Dominus Josue.
- Qui succendit urbem, et fecit eam tumulum sempiternum :
- regem quoque ejus suspendit in patibulo usque ad vesperam et solis occasum. Præcepitque Josue, et deposuerunt cadaver ejus de cruce : projeceruntque in ipso introitu civitatis, congesto super eum magno acervo lapidum, qui permanet usque in præsentem diem.
- Tunc ædificavit Josue altare Domino Deo Israël in monte Hebal,
- sicut præceperat Moyses famulus Domini filiis Israël, et scriptum est in volumine legis Moysi : altare vero de lapidibus impolitis, quos ferrum non tetigit : et obtulit super eo holocausta Domino, immolavitque pacificas victimas.
- Et scripsit super lapides Deuteronomium legis Moysi, quod ille digesserat coram filiis Israël.
- Omnis autem populus, et majores natu, ducesque ac judices, stabant ex utraque parte arcæ, in conspectu sacerdotum qui portabant arcam fœderis Domini, ut advena, ita et indigena. Media pars eorum juxta montem Garizim, et media juxta montem Hebal, sicut præceperat Moyses famulus Domini. Et primum quidem benedixit populo Israël.
- Post hæc legit omnia verba benedictionis et maledictionis, et cuncta quæ scripta erant in legis volumine.
- Nihil ex his quæ Moyses jusserat, reliquit intactum, sed universa replicavit coram omni multitudine Israël, mulieribus ac parvulis et advenis, qui inter eos morabantur.
|Joshua 8 Text (KJV)
- And the LORD said unto Joshua, Fear not, neither be thou dismayed: take all the people of war with thee, and arise, go up to Ai: see, I have given into thy hand the king of Ai, and his people, and his city, and his land:
- And thou shalt do to Ai and her king as thou didst unto Jericho and her king: only the spoil thereof, and the cattle thereof, shall ye take for a prey unto yourselves: lay thee an ambush for the city behind it.
- So Joshua arose, and all the people of war, to go up against Ai: and Joshua chose out thirty thousand mighty men of valour, and sent them away by night.
- And he commanded them, saying, Behold, ye shall lie in wait against the city, even behind the city: go not very far from the city, but be ye all ready:
- And I, and all the people that are with me, will approach unto the city: and it shall come to pass, when they come out against us, as at the first, that we will flee before them,
- (For they will come out after us) till we have drawn them from the city; for they will say, They flee before us, as at the first: therefore we will flee before them.
- Then ye shall rise up from the ambush, and seize upon the city: for the LORD your God will deliver it into your hand.
- And it shall be, when ye have taken the city, that ye shall set the city on fire: according to the commandment of the LORD shall ye do. See, I have commanded you.
- Joshua therefore sent them forth: and they went to lie in ambush, and abode between Bethel and Ai, on the west side of Ai: but Joshua lodged that night among the people.
- And Joshua rose up early in the morning, and numbered the people, and went up, he and the elders of Israel, before the people to Ai.
- And all the people, even the people of war that were with him, went up, and drew nigh, and came before the city, and pitched on the north side of Ai: now there was a valley between them and Ai.
- And he took about five thousand men, and set them to lie in ambush between Bethel and Ai, on the west side of the city.
- And when they had set the people, even all the host that was on the north of the city, and their liers in wait on the west of the city, Joshua went that night into the midst of the valley.
- And it came to pass, when the king of Ai saw it, that they hasted and rose up early, and the men of the city went out against Israel to battle, he and all his people, at a time appointed, before the plain; but he wist not that there were liers in ambush against him behind the city.
- And Joshua and all Israel made as if they were beaten before them, and fled by the way of the wilderness.
- And all the people that were in Ai were called together to pursue after them: and they pursued after Joshua, and were drawn away from the city.
- And there was not a man left in Ai or Bethel, that went not out after Israel: and they left the city open, and pursued after Israel.
- And the LORD said unto Joshua, Stretch out the spear that is in thy hand toward Ai; for I will give it into thine hand. And Joshua stretched out the spear that he had in his hand toward the city.
- And the ambush arose quickly out of their place, and they ran as soon as he had stretched out his hand: and they entered into the city, and took it, and hasted and set the city on fire.
- And when the men of Ai looked behind them, they saw, and, behold, the smoke of the city ascended up to heaven, and they had no power to flee this way or that way: and the people that fled to the wilderness turned back upon the pursuers.
- And when Joshua and all Israel saw that the ambush had taken the city, and that the smoke of the city ascended, then they turned again, and slew the men of Ai.
- And the other issued out of the city against them; so they were in the midst of Israel, some on this side, and some on that side: and they smote them, so that they let none of them remain or escape.
- And the king of Ai they took alive, and brought him to Joshua.
- And it came to pass, when Israel had made an end of slaying all the inhabitants of Ai in the field, in the wilderness wherein they chased them, and when they were all fallen on the edge of the sword, until they were consumed, that all the Israelites returned unto Ai, and smote it with the edge of the sword.
- And so it was, that all that fell that day, both of men and women, were twelve thousand, even all the men of Ai.
- For Joshua drew not his hand back, wherewith he stretched out the spear, until he had utterly destroyed all the inhabitants of Ai.
- Only the cattle and the spoil of that city Israel took for a prey unto themselves, according unto the word of the LORD which he commanded Joshua.
- And Joshua burnt Ai, and made it an heap for ever, even a desolation unto this day.
- And the king of Ai he hanged on a tree until eventide: and as soon as the sun was down, Joshua commanded that they should take his carcase down from the tree, and cast it at the entering of the gate of the city, and raise thereon a great heap of stones, that remaineth unto this day.
- Then Joshua built an altar unto the LORD God of Israel in mount Ebal,
- As Moses the servant of the LORD commanded the children of Israel, as it is written in the book of the law of Moses, an altar of whole stones, over which no man hath lift up any iron: and they offered thereon burnt offerings unto the LORD, and sacrificed peace offerings.
- And he wrote there upon the stones a copy of the law of Moses, which he wrote in the presence of the children of Israel.
- And all Israel, and their elders, and officers, and their judges, stood on this side the ark and on that side before the priests the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, as well the stranger, as he that was born among them; half of them over against mount Gerizim, and half of them over against mount Ebal; as Moses the servant of the LORD had commanded before, that they should bless the people of Israel.
- And afterward he read all the words of the law, the blessings and cursings, according to all that is written in the book of the law.
- There was not a word of all that Moses commanded, which Joshua read not before all the congregation of Israel, with the women, and the little ones, and the strangers that were conversant among them.