|Joshua 7 - Versions
|Joshua 7 Text (WEB)
- But the children of Israel committed a trespass in the devoted things; for Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took some of the devoted things. Therefore Yahweh's anger burned against the children of Israel.
- Joshua sent men from Jericho to Ai, which is beside Beth Aven, on the east side of Bethel, and spoke to them, saying, "Go up and spy out the land." The men went up and spied out Ai.
- They returned to Joshua, and said to him, "Don't let all the people go up; but let about two or three thousand men go up and strike Ai. Don't make all the people to toil there, for there are only a few of them."
- So about three thousand men of the people went up there, and they fled before the men of Ai.
- The men of Ai struck about thirty-six men of them, and they chased them from before the gate even to Shebarim, and struck them at the descent. The hearts of the people melted, and became like water.
- Joshua tore his clothes, and fell to the earth on his face before the ark of Yahweh until the evening, he and the elders of Israel; and they put dust on their heads.
- Joshua said, "Alas, Lord Yahweh, why have you brought this people over the Jordan at all, to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to cause us to perish? I wish that we had been content and lived beyond the Jordan!
- Oh, Lord, what shall I say, after that Israel has turned their backs before their enemies!
- For the Canaanites and all the inhabitants of the land will hear of it, and will surround us, and cut off our name from the earth. What will you do for your great name?"
- Yahweh said to Joshua, "Get up! Why are you fallen on your face like that?
- Israel has sinned. Yes, they have even transgressed my covenant which I commanded them. Yes, they have even taken of the devoted things, and have also stolen, and also deceived. They have even put it among their own stuff.
- Therefore the children of Israel can't stand before their enemies. They turn their backs before their enemies, because they have become devoted for destruction. I will not be with you any more, unless you destroy the devoted things from among you.
- "Get up! Sanctify the people, and say, 'Sanctify yourselves for tomorrow, for Yahweh, the God of Israel, says, "There is a devoted thing in the midst of you, Israel. You cannot stand before your enemies until you take away the devoted thing from among you."
- "'In the morning therefore you shall be brought near by your tribes. It shall be that the tribe which Yahweh selects shall come near by families. The family which Yahweh selects shall come near by households. The household which Yahweh selects shall come near man by man.
- It shall be, that he who is taken with the devoted thing shall be burnt with fire, he and all that he has, because he has transgressed the covenant of Yahweh, and because he has done a disgraceful thing in Israel.'"
- So Joshua rose up early in the morning and brought Israel near by their tribes. The tribe of Judah was selected.
- He brought near the family of Judah; and he selected the family of the Zerahites. He brought near the family of the Zerahites man by man, and Zabdi was selected.
- He brought near his household man by man, and Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, was selected.
- Joshua said to Achan, "My son, please give glory to Yahweh, the God of Israel, and make confession to him. Tell me now what you have done! Don't hide it from me!"
- Achan answered Joshua, and said, "I have truly sinned against Yahweh, the God of Israel, and this is what I have done.
- When I saw among the spoil a beautiful Babylonian robe, two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold weighing fifty shekels, then I coveted them and took them. Behold, they are hidden in the ground in the middle of my tent, with the silver under it."
- So Joshua sent messengers, and they ran to the tent. Behold, it was hidden in his tent, with the silver under it.
- They took them from the middle of the tent, and brought them to Joshua and to all the children of Israel. They laid them down before Yahweh.
- Joshua, and all Israel with him, took Achan the son of Zerah, the silver, the robe, the wedge of gold, his sons, his daughters, his cattle, his donkeys, his sheep, his tent, and all that he had; and they brought them up to the valley of Achor.
- Joshua said, "Why have you troubled us? Yahweh will trouble you this day." All Israel stoned him with stones, and they burned them with fire and stoned them with stones.
- They raised over him a great heap of stones that remains to this day. Yahweh turned from the fierceness of his anger. Therefore the name of that place was called "The valley of Achor" to this day.
|Joshua 7 Text (Hebrew)
- וימעלו בני־ישראל מעל בחרם ויקח עכן בן־כרמי בן־זבדי בן־זרח למטה יהודה מן־החרם ויחר־אף יהוה בבני ישראל׃
- וישלח יהושע אנשים מיריחו העי אשר עם־בית און מקדם לבית־אל ויאמר אליהם לאמר עלו ורגלו את־הארץ ויעלו האנשים וירגלו את־העי׃
- וישבו אל־יהושע ויאמרו אליו אל־יעל כל־העם כאלפים איש או כשלשת אלפים איש יעלו ויכו את־העי אל־תיגע־שמה את־כל־העם כי מעט המה׃
- ויעלו מן־העם שמה כשלשת אלפים איש וינסו לפני אנשי העי׃
- ויכו מהם אנשי העי כשלשים וששה איש וירדפום לפני השער עד־השברים ויכום במורד וימס לבב־העם ויהי למים׃
- ויקרע יהושע שמלתיו ויפל על־פניו ארצה לפני ארון יהוה עד־הערב הוא וזקני ישראל ויעלו עפר על־ראשם׃
- ויאמר יהושע אהה אדני יהוה למה העברת העביר את־העם הזה את־הירדן לתת אתנו ביד האמרי להאבידנו ולו הואלנו ונשב בעבר הירדן׃
- בי אדני מה אמר אחרי אשר הפך ישראל ערף לפני איביו׃
- וישמעו הכנעני וכל ישבי הארץ ונסבו עלינו והכריתו את־שמנו מן־הארץ ומה־תעשה לשמך הגדול׃ ס
- ויאמר יהוה אל־יהושע קם לך למה זה אתה נפל על־פניך׃
- חטא ישראל וגם עברו את־בריתי אשר צויתי אותם וגם לקחו מן־החרם וגם גנבו וגם כחשו וגם שמו בכליהם׃
- ולא יכלו בני ישראל לקום לפני איביהם ערף יפנו לפני איביהם כי היו לחרם לא אוסיף להיות עםכם אם־לא תשמידו החרם מקרבכם׃
- קם קדש את־העם ואמרת התקדשו למחר כי כה אמר יהוה אלהי ישראל חרם בקרבך ישראל לא תוכל לקום לפני איביך עד־הסירכם החרם מקרבכם׃
- ונקרבתם בבקר לשבטיכם והיה השבט אשר־ילכדנו יהוה יקרב למשפחות והמשפחה אשר־ילכדנה יהוה תקרב לבתים והבית אשר ילכדנו יהוה יקרב לגברים׃
- והיה הנלכד בחרם ישרף באש אתו ואת־כל־אשר־לו כי עבר את־ברית יהוה וכי־עשה נבלה בישראל׃
- וישכם יהושע בבקר ויקרב את־ישראל לשבטיו וילכד שבט יהודה׃
- ויקרב את־משפחת יהודה וילכד את משפחת הזרחי ויקרב את־משפחת הזרחי לגברים וילכד זבדי׃
- ויקרב את־ביתו לגברים וילכד עכן בן־כרמי בן־זבדי בן־זרח למטה יהודה׃
- ויאמר יהושע אל־עכן בני שים־נא כבוד ליהוה אלהי ישראל ותן־לו תודה והגד־נא לי מה עשית אל־תכחד ממני׃
- ויען עכן את־יהושע ויאמר אמנה אנכי חטאתי ליהוה אלהי ישראל וכזאת וכזאת עשיתי׃
- בשלל אדרת שנער אחת טובה ומאתים שקלים כסף ולשון זהב אחד חמשים שקלים משקלו ואחמדם ואקחם והנם טמונים בארץ בתוך האהלי והכסף תחתיה׃
- וישלח יהושע מלאכים וירצו האהלה והנה טמונה באהלו והכסף תחתיה׃
- ויקחום מתוך האהל ויבאום אל־יהושע ואל כל־בני ישראל ויצקם לפני יהוה׃
- ויקח יהושע את־עכן בן־זרח ואת־הכסף ואת־האדרת ואת־לשון הזהב ואת־בניו ואת־בנתיו ואת־שורו ואת־חמרו ואת־צאנו ואת־אהלו ואת־כל־אשר־לו וכל־ישראל עמו ויעלו אתם עמק עכור׃
- ויאמר יהושע מה עכרתנו יעכרך יהוה ביום הזה וירגמו אתו כל־ישראל אבן וישרפו אתם באש ויסקלו אתם באבנים׃
- ויקימו עליו גל־אבנים גדול עד היום הזה וישב יהוה מחרון אפו על־כן קרא שם המקום ההוא עמק עכור עד היום הזה׃ ף
|Joshua 7 Text (Latin)
- Filii autem Israël prævaricati sunt mandatum, et usurpaverunt de anathemate. Nam Achan filius Charmi filii Zabdi filii Zare de tribu Juda tulit aliquid de anathemate : iratusque est Dominus contra filios Israël.
- Cumque mitteret Josue de Jericho viros contra Hai, quæ est juxta Bethaven, ad orientalem plagam oppidi Bethel, dixit eis : Ascendite, et explorate terram. Qui præcepta complentes exploraverunt Hai.
- Et reversi dixerunt ei : Non ascendat omnis populus, sed duo vel tria millia virorum pergant, et deleant civitatem : quare omnis populus frustra vexabitur contra hostes paucissimos ?
- Ascenderunt ergo tria millia pugnatorum. Qui statim terga vertentes,
- percussi sunt a viris urbis Hai, et corruerunt ex eis triginta sex homines : persecutique sunt eos adversarii de porta usque ad Sabarim, et ceciderunt per prona fugientes : pertimuitque cor populi, et instar aquæ liquefactum est.
- Josue vero scidit vestimenta sua, et pronus cecidit in terram coram arca Domini usque ad vesperam, tam ipse quam omnes senes Israël : miseruntque pulverem super capita sua,
- et dixit Josue : Heu Domine Deus, quid voluisti traducere populum istum Jordanem fluvium, ut traderes nos in manus Amorrhæi, et perderes ? utinam ut cœpimus, mansissemus trans Jordanem.
- Mi Domine Deus, quid dicam, videns Israëlem hostibus suis terga vertentem ?
- Audient Chananæi, et omnes habitatores terræ, et pariter conglobati circumdabunt nos, atque delebunt nomen nostrum de terra : et quid facies magno nomini tuo ?
- Dixitque Dominus ad Josue : Surge : cur jaces pronus in terra ?
- Peccavit Israël, et prævaricatus est pactum meum : tuleruntque de anathemate, et furati sunt atque mentiti, et absconderunt inter vasa sua.
- Nec poterit Israël stare ante hostes suos, eosque fugiet : quia pollutus est anathemate. Non ero ultra vobiscum, donec conteratis eum qui hujus sceleris reus est.
- Surge, sanctifica populum, et dic eis : Sanctificamini in crastinum : hæc enim dicit Dominus Deus Israël : Anathema in medio tui est, Israël : non poteris stare coram hostibus tuis, donec deleatur ex te qui hoc contaminatus est scelere.
- Accedetisque mane singuli per tribus vestras : et quamcumque tribum sors invenerit, accedet per cognationes suas, et cognatio per domos, domusque per viros.
- Et quicumque ille in hoc facinore fuerit deprehensus, comburetur igni cum omni substantia sua : quoniam prævaricatus est pactum Domini, et fecit nefas in Israël.
- Surgens itaque Josue mane, applicuit Israël per tribus suas, et inventa est tribus Juda.
- Quæ cum juxta familias suas esset oblata, inventa est familia Zare. Illam quoque per domos offerens, reperit Zabdi :
- cujus domum in singulos dividens viros, invenit Achan filium Charmi filii Zabdi filii Zare de tribu Juda.
- Et ait Josue ad Achan : Fili mi, da gloriam Domino Deo Israël, et confitere, atque indica mihi quid feceris, ne abscondas.
- Responditque Achan Josue, et dixit ei : Vere ego peccavi Domino Deo Israël, et sic et sic feci.
- Vidi enim inter spolia pallium coccineum valde bonum, et ducentos siclos argenti, regulamque auream quinquaginta siclorum : et concupiscens abstuli, et abscondi in terra contra medium tabernaculi mei, argentumque fossa humo operui.
- Misit ergo Josue ministros : qui currentes ad tabernaculum illius, repererunt cuncta abscondita in eodem loco, et argentum simul.
- Auferentesque de tentorio, tulerunt ea ad Josue, et ad omnes filios Israël, projeceruntque ante Dominum.
- Tollens itaque Josue Achan filium Zare, argentumque et pallium, et auream regulam, filios quoque et filias ejus, boves et asinos et oves, ipsumque tabernaculum, et cunctam supellectilem (et omnis Israël cum eo), duxerunt eos ad vallem Achor :
- ubi dixit Josue : Quia turbasti nos, exturbet te Dominus in die hac. Lapidavitque eum omnis Israël : et cuncta quæ illius erant, igne consumpta sunt.
- Congregaveruntque super eum acervum magnum lapidum, qui permanet usque in præsentem diem. Et aversus est furor Domini ab eis. Vocatumque est nomen loci illius, vallis Achor, usque hodie.
|Joshua 7 Text (KJV)
- But the children of Israel committed a trespass in the accursed thing: for Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took of the accursed thing: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against the children of Israel.
- And Joshua sent men from Jericho to Ai, which is beside Beth-aven, on the east side of Bethel, and spake unto them, saying, Go up and view the country. And the men went up and viewed Ai.
- And they returned to Joshua, and said unto him, Let not all the people go up; but let about two or three thousand men go up and smite Ai; and make not all the people to labour thither; for they are but few.
- So there went up thither of the people about three thousand men: and they fled before the men of Ai.
- And the men of Ai smote of them about thirty and six men: for they chased them from before the gate even unto Shebarim, and smote them in the going down: wherefore the hearts of the people melted, and became as water.
- And Joshua rent his clothes, and fell to the earth upon his face before the ark of the LORD until the eventide, he and the elders of Israel, and put dust upon their heads.
- And Joshua said, Alas, O Lord GOD, wherefore hast thou at all brought this people over Jordan, to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us? would to God we had been content, and dwelt on the other side Jordan!
- O Lord, what shall I say, when Israel turneth their backs before their enemies!
- For the Canaanites and all the inhabitants of the land shall hear of it, and shall environ us round, and cut off our name from the earth: and what wilt thou do unto thy great name?
- And the LORD said unto Joshua, Get thee up; wherefore liest thou thus upon thy face?
- Israel hath sinned, and they have also transgressed my covenant which I commanded them: for they have even taken of the accursed thing, and have also stolen, and dissembled also, and they have put it even among their own stuff.
- Therefore the children of Israel could not stand before their enemies, but turned their backs before their enemies, because they were accursed: neither will I be with you any more, except ye destroy the accursed from among you.
- Up, sanctify the people, and say, Sanctify yourselves against to morrow: for thus saith the LORD God of Israel, There is an accursed thing in the midst of thee, O Israel: thou canst not stand before thine enemies, until ye take away the accursed thing from among you.
- In the morning therefore ye shall be brought according to your tribes: and it shall be, that the tribe which the LORD taketh shall come according to the families thereof; and the family which the LORD shall take shall come by households; and the household which the LORD shall take shall come man by man.
- And it shall be, that he that is taken with the accursed thing shall be burnt with fire, he and all that he hath: because he hath transgressed the covenant of the LORD, and because he hath wrought folly in Israel.
- So Joshua rose up early in the morning, and brought Israel by their tribes; and the tribe of Judah was taken:
- And he brought the family of Judah; and he took the family of the Zarhites: and he brought the family of the Zarhites man by man; and Zabdi was taken:
- And he brought his household man by man; and Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, was taken.
- And Joshua said unto Achan, My son, give, I pray thee, glory to the LORD God of Israel, and make confession unto him; and tell me now what thou hast done; hide it not from me.
- And Achan answered Joshua, and said, Indeed I have sinned against the LORD God of Israel, and thus and thus have I done:
- When I saw among the spoils a goodly Babylonish garment, and two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold of fifty shekels weight, then I coveted them, and took them; and, behold, they are hid in the earth in the midst of my tent, and the silver under it.
- So Joshua sent messengers, and they ran unto the tent; and, behold, it was hid in his tent, and the silver under it.
- And they took them out of the midst of the tent, and brought them unto Joshua, and unto all the children of Israel, and laid them out before the LORD.
- And Joshua, and all Israel with him, took Achan the son of Zerah, and the silver, and the garment, and the wedge of gold, and his sons, and his daughters, and his oxen, and his asses, and his sheep, and his tent, and all that he had: and they brought them unto the valley of Achor.
- And Joshua said, Why hast thou troubled us? the LORD shall trouble thee this day. And all Israel stoned him with stones, and burned them with fire, after they had stoned them with stones.
- And they raised over him a great heap of stones unto this day. So the LORD turned from the fierceness of his anger. Wherefore the name of that place was called, The valley of Achor, unto this day.