|Jonah 3 - Versions
|Jonah 3 Text (WEB)
- The word of Yahweh came to Jonah the second time, saying,
- "Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and preach to it the message that I give you."
- So Jonah arose, and went to Nineveh, according to the word of Yahweh. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly great city, three days' journey across.
- Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried out, and said, "In forty days, Nineveh will be overthrown!"
- The people of Nineveh believed God; and they proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
- The news reached the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and took off his royal robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.
- He made a proclamation and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, "Let neither man nor animal, herd nor flock, taste anything; let them not feed, nor drink water;
- but let them be covered with sackcloth, both man and animal, and let them cry mightily to God. Yes, let them turn everyone from his evil way, and from the violence that is in his hands.
- Who knows whether God will not turn and relent, and turn away from his fierce anger, so that we might not perish?"
- God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way. God relented of the disaster which he said he would do to them, and he didn't do it.
|Jonah 3 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי דבר־יהוה אל־יונה שנית לאמר׃
- קום לך אל־נינוה העיר הגדולה וקרא אליה את־הקריאה אשר אנכי דבר אליך׃
- ויקם יונה וילך אל־נינוה כדבר יהוה ונינוה היתה עיר־גדולה לאלהים מהלך שלשת ימים׃
- ויחל יונה לבוא בעיר מהלך יום אחד ויקרא ויאמר עוד ארבעים יום ונינוה נהפכת׃
- ויאמינו אנשי נינוה באלהים ויקראו־צום וילבשו שקים מגדולם ועד־קטנם׃
- ויגע הדבר אל־מלך נינוה ויקם מכסאו ויעבר אדרתו מעליו ויכס שק וישב על־האפר׃
- ויזעק ויאמר בנינוה מטעם המלך וגדליו לאמר האדם והבהמה הבקר והצאן אל־יטעמו מאומה אל־ירעו ומים אל־ישתו׃
- ויתכסו שקים האדם והבהמה ויקראו אל־אלהים בחזקה וישבו איש מדרכו הרעה ומן־החמס אשר בכפיהם׃
- מי־יודע ישוב ונחם האלהים ושב מחרון אפו ולא נאבד׃
- וירא האלהים את־מעשיהם כי־שבו מדרכם הרעה וינחם האלהים על־הרעה אשר־דבר לעשות־להם ולא עשה׃
|Jonah 3 Text (Latin)
- Et factum est verbum Domini ad Jonam secundo, dicens :
- Surge, et vade in Niniven, civitatem magnam, et prædica in ea prædicationem quam ego loquor ad te.
- Et surrexit Jonas, et abiit in Niniven juxta verbum Domini : et Ninive erat civitas magna, itinere trium dierum.
- Et cœpit Jonas introire in civitatem itinere diei unius : et clamavit, et dixit : Adhuc quadraginta dies, et Ninive subvertetur.
- Et crediderunt viri Ninivitæ in Deum, et prædicaverunt jejunium, et vestiti sunt saccis, a majore usque ad minorem.
- Et pervenit verbum ad regem Ninive : et surrexit de solio suo, et abjecit vestimentum suum a se, et indutus est sacco, et sedit in cinere.
- Et clamavit, et dixit in Ninive ex ore regis et principum ejus, dicens : Homines, et jumenta, et boves, et pecora non gustent quidquam : nec pascantur, et aquam non bibant.
- Et operiantur saccis homines et jumenta, et clament ad Dominum in fortitudine : et convertatur vir a via sua mala, et ab iniquitate quæ est in manibus eorum.
- Quis scit si convertatur et ignoscat Deus, et revertatur a furore iræ suæ, et non peribimus ?
- Et vidit Deus opera eorum, quia conversi sunt de via sua mala : et misertus est Deus super malitiam quam locutus fuerat ut faceret eis, et non fecit.
|Jonah 3 Text (KJV)
- And the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the second time, saying,
- Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee.
- So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days' journey.
- And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.
- So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
- For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.
- And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water:
- But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.
- Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?
- And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
This article is a stub. You can help WikiChristian by expanding it. For help please read the WikiChristian Tutorial and our writing guide.
Return to Christianity -> Bible -> Jonah