|Jeremiah 5 - Versions
|Jeremiah 5 Text (WEB)
- "Run back and forth through the streets of Jerusalem, and see now, and know, and seek in the broad places of it, if you can find a man, if there are any who does justly, who seeks truth; and I will pardon her.
- Though they say, 'As Yahweh lives;' surely they swear falsely."
- O Yahweh, don't your eyes look on truth? You have stricken them, but they were not grieved. You have consumed them, but they have refused to receive correction. They have made their faces harder than a rock. They have refused to return.
- Then I said, "Surely these are poor. They are foolish; for they don't know the way of Yahweh, nor the law of their God.
- I will go to the great men, and will speak to them; for they know the way of Yahweh, and the law of their God." But these with one accord have broken the yoke, and burst the bonds.
- Therefore a lion out of the forest shall kill them, a wolf of the evenings shall destroy them, a leopard shall watch against their cities; everyone who goes out there shall be torn in pieces; because their transgressions are many, [and] their backsliding is increased.
- "How can I pardon you? Your children have forsaken me, and sworn by what are no gods. When I had fed them to the full, they committed adultery, and assembled themselves in troops at the prostitutes' houses.
- They were as fed horses roaming at large: everyone neighed after his neighbor's wife.
- Shouldn't I punish them for these things?" says Yahweh; "and shouldn't my soul be avenged on such a nation as this?
- "Go up on her walls, and destroy; but don't make a full end. Take away her branches; for they are not Yahweh's.
- For the house of Israel and the house of Judah have dealt very treacherously against me," says Yahweh.
- They have denied Yahweh, and said, "It is not he; neither shall evil come on us; neither shall we see sword nor famine.
- The prophets shall become wind, and the word is not in them. Thus shall it be done to them."
- Therefore thus says Yahweh, the God of Armies, "Because you speak this word, behold, I will make my words in your mouth fire, and this people wood, and it shall devour them.
- Behold, I will bring a nation on you from far, house of Israel," says Yahweh. "It is a mighty nation. It is an ancient nation, a nation whose language you don't know, neither understand what they say.
- Their quiver is an open tomb, they are all mighty men.
- They shall eat up your harvest, and your bread, [which] your sons and your daughters should eat. They shall eat up your flocks and your herds. They shall eat up your vines and your fig trees. They shall beat down your fortified cities, in which you trust, with the sword.
- "But even in those days," says Yahweh, "I will not make a full end with you.
- It will happen, when you say, 'Why has Yahweh our God done all these things to us?' Then you shall say to them, 'Just like you have forsaken me, and served foreign gods in your land, so you shall serve strangers in a land that is not yours.'
- "Declare this in the house of Jacob, and publish it in Judah, saying,
- 'Hear now this, foolish people, and without understanding; who have eyes, and don't see; who have ears, and don't hear:
- Don't you fear me?' says Yahweh 'Won't you tremble at my presence, who have placed the sand for the bound of the sea, by a perpetual decree, that it can't pass it? and though its waves toss themselves, yet they can't prevail; though they roar, yet they can't pass over it.'
- "But this people has a revolting and a rebellious heart; they have revolted and gone.
- Neither do they say in their heart, 'Let us now fear Yahweh our God, who gives rain, both the former and the latter, in its season; who preserves to us the appointed weeks of the harvest.'
- "Your iniquities have turned away these things, and your sins have withheld good from you.
- For among my people are found wicked men. They watch, as fowlers lie in wait. They set a trap. They catch men.
- As a cage is full of birds, so are their houses full of deceit. Therefore they have become great, and grew rich.
- They have grown fat. They shine; yes, they excell in deeds of wickedness. They don't plead the cause, the cause of the fatherless, that they may prosper; and they don't judge the right of the needy.
- "Shall I not punish for these things?" says Yahweh. "Shall not my soul be avenged on such a nation as this?
- "An astonishing and horrible thing has happened in the land.
- The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests rule by their own authority; and my people love to have it so. What will you do in the end of it?
|Jeremiah 5 Text (Hebrew)
- שוטטו בחוצות ירושלם וראו־נא ודעו ובקשו ברחובותיה אם־תמצאו איש אם־יש עשה משפט מבקש אמונה ואסלח לה׃
- ואם חי־יהוה יאמרו לכן לשקר ישבעו׃
- יהוה עיניך הלוא לאמונה הכיתה אתם ולא־חלו כליתם מאנו קחת מוסר חזקו פניהם מסלע מאנו לשוב׃
- ואני אמרתי אך־דלים הם נואלו כי לא ידעו דרך יהוה משפט אלהיהם׃
- אלכה־לי אל־הגדלים ואדברה אותם כי המה ידעו דרך יהוה משפט אלהיהם אך המה יחדו שברו על נתקו מוסרות׃
- על־כן הכם אריה מיער זאב ערבות ישדדם נמר שקד על־עריהם כל־היוצא מהנה יטרף כי רבו פשעיהם עצמו ׃ ׃
- אי לזאת ־לך בניך עזבוני וישבעו בלא אלהים ואשבע אותם וינאפו ובית זונה יתגדדו׃
- סוסים מיזנים משכים היו איש אל־אשת רעהו יצהלו׃
- העל־אלה לוא־אפקד נאם־יהוה ואם בגוי אשר־כזה לא תתנקם נפשי׃ ס
- עלו בשרותיה ושחתו וכלה אל־תעשו הסירו נטישותיה כי לוא ליהוה המה׃
- כי בגוד בגדו בי בית ישראל ובית יהודה נאם־יהוה׃
- כחשו ביהוה ויאמרו לא־הוא ולא־תבוא עלינו רעה וחרב ורעב לוא נראה׃
- והנביאים יהיו לרוח והדבר אין בהם כה יעשה להם׃ ס
- לכן כה־אמר יהוה אלהי צבאות יען דברכם את־הדבר הזה הנני נתן דברי בפיך לאש והעם הזה עצים ואכלתם׃
- הנני מביא עליכם גוי ממרחק בית ישראל נאם־יהוה גוי איתן הוא גוי מעולם הוא גוי לא־תדע לשנו ולא תשמע מה־ידבר׃
- אשפתו כקבר פתוח כלם גבורים׃
- ואכל קצירך ולחמך יאכלו בניך ובנותיך יאכל צאנך ובקרך יאכל גפנך ותאנתך ירשש ערי מבצריך אשר אתה בוטח בהנה בחרב׃
- וגם בימים ההמה נאם־יהוה לא־אעשה אתכם כלה׃
- והיה כי תאמרו תחת מה עשה יהוה אלהינו לנו את־כל־אלה ואמרת אליהם כאשר עזבתם אותי ותעבדו אלהי נכר בארצכם כן תעבדו זרים בארץ לא לכם׃ ס
- הגידו זאת בבית יעקב והשמיעוה ביהודה לאמר׃
- שמעו־נא זאת עם סכל ואין לב עינים להם ולא יראו אזנים להם ולא ישמעו׃
- האותי לא־תיראו נאם־יהוה אם מפני לא תחילו אשר־שמתי חול גבול לים חק־עולם ולא יעברנהו ויתגעשו ולא יוכלו והמו גליו ולא יעברנהו׃
- ולעם הזה היה לב סורר ומורה סרו וילכו׃
- ולא־אמרו בלבבם נירא נא את־יהוה אלהינו הנתן גשם ומלקוש בעתו שבעות חקות קציר ישמר־לנו׃
- עונותיכם הטו־אלה וחטאותיכם מנעו הטוב םכם׃
- כי־נמצאו בעמי רשעים ישור כשך יקושים הציבו משחית אנשים ילכדו׃
- ככלוב מלא עוף כן בתיהם מלאים מרמה על־כן גדלו ויעשירו׃
- שמנו עשתו גם עברו דברי־רע דין לא־דנו דין יתום ויצליחו ומשפט אביונים לא שפטו׃
- העל־אלה לא־אפקד נאם־יהוה אם בגוי אשר־כזה לא תתנקם נפשי׃ ס
- שמה ושערורה נהיתה בארץ׃
- הנביאים נבאו־בשקר והכהנים ירדו על־ידיהם ועמי אהבו כן ומה־תעשו לאחריתה׃
|Jeremiah 5 Text (Latin)
- Circuite vias Jerusalem, et aspicite, et considerate, et quærite in plateis ejus an inveniatis virum facientem judicium, et quærentem fidem : et propitius ero ei.
- Quod si etiam, Vivit Dominus, dixerunt, et hac falso jurabunt.
- Domine, oculi tui respiciunt fidem : percussisti eos, et non doluerunt : attrivisti eos, et renuerunt accipere disciplinam : induraverunt facies suas supra petram, et noluerunt reverti.
- Ego autem dixi : Forsitan pauperes sunt et stulti, ignorantes viam Domini, judicium Dei sui.
- Ibo igitur ad optimates, et loquar eis : ipsi enim cognoverunt viam Domini, judicium Dei sui : et ecce magis hi simul confregerunt jugum, ruperunt vincula.
- Idcirco percussit eos leo de silva, lupus ad vesperam vastavit eos : pardus vigilans super civitates eorum : omnis qui egressus fuerit ex eis capietur, quia multiplicatæ sunt prævaricationes eorum, confortatæ sunt aversiones eorum.
- Super quo propitius tibi esse potero ? Filii tui dereliquerunt me, et jurant in his qui non sunt dii. Saturavi eos, et mœchati sunt, et in domo meretricis luxuriabantur.
- Equi amatores et emissarii facti sunt : unusquisque ad uxorem proximi sui hinniebat.
- Numquid super his non visitabo, dicit Dominus, et in gente tali non ulciscetur anima mea ?
- Ascendite muros ejus, et dissipate, consummationem autem nolite facere : auferte propagines ejus, quia non sunt Domini.
- Prævaricatione enim prævaricata est in me domus Israël, et domus Juda, ait Dominus.
- Negaverunt Dominum, et dixerunt : Non est ipse : neque veniet super nos malum : gladium et famem non videbimus.
- Prophetæ fuerunt in ventum locuti, et responsum non fuit in eis. Hæc ergo evenient illis.
- Hæc dicit Dominus Deus exercituum : Quia locuti estis verbum istud, ecce ego do verba mea in ore tuo in ignem, et populum istum in ligna, et vorabit eos.
- Ecce ego adducam super vos gentem de longinquo, domus Israël, ait Dominus, gentem robustam, gentem antiquam, gentem cujus ignorabis linguam, nec intelliges quid loquatur.
- Pharetra ejus quasi sepulchrum patens, universi fortes.
- Et comedet segetes tuas et panem tuum, devorabit filios tuos et filias tuas, comedet gregem tuum et armenta tua, comedet vineam tuam et ficum tuam, et conteret urbes munitas tuas, in quibus tu habes fiduciam, gladio.
- Verumtamen in diebus illis, ait Dominus, non faciam vos in consummationem.
- Quod si dixeritis : Quare fecit nobis Dominus Deus noster hæc omnia ? dices ad eos : Sicut dereliquistis me, et servistis deo alieno in terra vestra, sic servietis alienis in terra non vestra.
- Annuntiate hoc domui Jacob, et auditum facite in Juda, dicentes :
- Audi, popule stulte, qui non habes cor : qui habentes oculos, non videtis; et aures, et non auditis.
- Me ergo non timebitis, ait Dominus, et a facie mea non dolebitis : qui posui arenam terminum mari, præceptum sempiternum quod non præteribit : et commovebuntur, et non poterunt : et intumescent fluctus ejus, et non transibunt illud ?
- Populo autem huic factum est cor incredulum et exasperans : recesserunt, et abierunt.
- Et non dixerunt in corde suo : Metuamus Dominum Deum nostrum, qui dat nobis pluviam temporaneam et serotinam in tempore suo, plenitudinem annuæ messis custodientem nobis.
- Iniquitates vestræ declinaverunt hæc, et peccata vestra prohibuerunt bonum a vobis,
- quia inventi sunt in populo meo impii insidiantes quasi aucupes, laqueos ponentes et pedicas ad capiendos viros.
- Sicut decipula plena avibus, sic domus eorum plenæ dolo : ideo magnificati sunt et ditati.
- Incrassati sunt et impinguati, et præterierunt sermones meos pessime. Causam viduæ non judicaverunt, causam pupilli non direxerunt, et judicium pauperum non judicaverunt.
- Numquid super his non visitabo, dicit Dominus, aut super gentem hujuscemodi non ulciscetur anima mea ?
- Stupor et mirabilia facta sunt in terra :
- prophetæ prophetabant mendacium, et sacerdotes applaudebant manubus suis, et populus meus dilexit talia. Quid igitur fiet in novissimo ejus ?
|Jeremiah 5 Text (KJV)
- Run ye to and fro through the streets of Jerusalem, and see now, and know, and seek in the broad places thereof, if ye can find a man, if there be any that executeth judgment, that seeketh the truth; and I will pardon it.
- And though they say, The LORD liveth; surely they swear falsely.
- O LORD, are not thine eyes upon the truth? thou hast stricken them, but they have not grieved; thou hast consumed them, but they have refused to receive correction: they have made their faces harder than a rock; they have refused to return.
- Therefore I said, Surely these are poor; they are foolish: for they know not the way of the LORD, nor the judgment of their God.
- I will get me unto the great men, and will speak unto them; for they have known the way of the LORD, and the judgment of their God: but these have altogether broken the yoke, and burst the bonds.
- Wherefore a lion out of the forest shall slay them, and a wolf of the evenings shall spoil them, a leopard shall watch over their cities: every one that goeth out thence shall be torn in pieces: because their transgressions are many, and their backslidings are increased.
- How shall I pardon thee for this? thy children have forsaken me, and sworn by them that are no gods: when I had fed them to the full, they then committed adultery, and assembled themselves by troops in the harlots' houses.
- They were as fed horses in the morning: every one neighed after his neighbour's wife.
- Shall I not visit for these things? saith the LORD: and shall not my soul be avenged on such a nation as this?
- Go ye up upon her walls, and destroy; but make not a full end: take away her battlements; for they are not the LORD's.
- For the house of Israel and the house of Judah have dealt very treacherously against me, saith the LORD.
- They have belied the LORD, and said, It is not he; neither shall evil come upon us; neither shall we see sword nor famine:
- And the prophets shall become wind, and the word is not in them: thus shall it be done unto them.
- Wherefore thus saith the LORD God of hosts, Because ye speak this word, behold, I will make my words in thy mouth fire, and this people wood, and it shall devour them.
- Lo, I will bring a nation upon you from far, O house of Israel, saith the LORD: it is a mighty nation, it is an ancient nation, a nation whose language thou knowest not, neither understandest what they say.
- Their quiver is as an open sepulchre, they are all mighty men.
- And they shall eat up thine harvest, and thy bread, which thy sons and thy daughters should eat: they shall eat up thy flocks and thine herds: they shall eat up thy vines and thy fig trees: they shall impoverish thy fenced cities, wherein thou trustedst, with the sword.
- Nevertheless in those days, saith the LORD, I will not make a full end with you.
- And it shall come to pass, when ye shall say, Wherefore doeth the LORD our God all these things unto us? then shalt thou answer them, Like as ye have forsaken me, and served strange gods in your land, so shall ye serve strangers in a land that is not yours.
- Declare this in the house of Jacob, and publish it in Judah, saying,
- Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not:
- Fear ye not me? saith the LORD: will ye not tremble at my presence, which have placed the sand for the bound of the sea by a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass it: and though the waves thereof toss themselves, yet can they not prevail; though they roar, yet can they not pass over it?
- But this people hath a revolting and a rebellious heart; they are revolted and gone.
- Neither say they in their heart, Let us now fear the LORD our God, that giveth rain, both the former and the latter, in his season: he reserveth unto us the appointed weeks of the harvest.
- Your iniquities have turned away these things, and your sins have withholden good things from you.
- For among my people are found wicked men: they lay wait, as he that setteth snares; they set a trap, they catch men.
- As a cage is full of birds, so are their houses full of deceit: therefore they are become great, and waxen rich.
- They are waxen fat, they shine: yea, they overpass the deeds of the wicked: they judge not the cause, the cause of the fatherless, yet they prosper; and the right of the needy do they not judge.
- Shall I not visit for these things? saith the LORD: shall not my soul be avenged on such a nation as this?
- A wonderful and horrible thing is committed in the land;
- The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so: and what will ye do in the end thereof?