|Isaiah 44 - Versions
|Isaiah 44 Text (WEB)
- Yet listen now, Jacob my servant, and Israel, whom I have chosen.
- This is what Yahweh who made you, and formed you from the womb, who will help you says: "Don't be afraid, Jacob my servant; and you, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen.
- For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, and streams on the dry ground. I will pour my Spirit on your seed, and my blessing on your offspring:
- and they will spring up among the grass, as willows by the watercourses.
- One will say, 'I am Yahweh's;' and another will be called by the name of Jacob; and another will write with his hand 'to Yahweh,' and honor the name of Israel."
- This is what Yahweh, the King of Israel, and his Redeemer, Yahweh of Armies, says: "I am the first, and I am the last; and besides me there is no God.
- Who is like me? Who will call, and will declare it, and set it in order for me, since I established the ancient people? Let them declare the things that are coming, and that will happen.
- Don't fear, neither be afraid. Haven't I declared it to you long ago, and shown it? You are my witnesses. Is there a God besides me? Indeed, there is not. I don't know any other Rock."
- Everyone who makes an engraved image is vain. The things that they delight in will not profit. Their own witnesses don't see, nor know, that they may be disappointed.
- Who has fashioned a god, or molds an image that is profitable for nothing?
- Behold, all his fellows will be disappointed; and the workmen are mere men. Let them all be gathered together. Let them stand up. They will fear. They will be put to shame together.
- The blacksmith takes an axe, works in the coals, fashions it with hammers, and works it with his strong arm. He is hungry, and his strength fails; he drinks no water, and is faint.
- The carpenter stretches out a line. He marks it out with a pencil. He shapes it with planes. He marks it out with compasses, and shapes it like the figure of a man, with the beauty of a man, to reside in a house.
- He cuts down cedars for himself, and takes the cypress and the oak, and strengthens for himself one among the trees of the forest. He plants a fir tree, and the rain nourishes it.
- Then it will be for a man to burn; and he takes some of it, and warms himself. Yes, he burns it, and bakes bread. Yes, he makes a god, and worships it; he makes it an engraved image, and falls down to it.
- He burns part of it in the fire. With part of it, he eats meat. He roasts a roast, and is satisfied. Yes, he warms himself, and says, "Aha! I am warm. I have seen the fire."
- The rest of it he makes into a god, even his engraved image. He bows down to it and worships, and prays to it, and says, "Deliver me; for you are my god!"
- They don't know, neither do they consider: for he has shut their eyes, that they can't see; and their hearts, that they can't understand.
- No one thinks, neither is there knowledge nor understanding to say, "I have burned part of it in the fire. Yes, I have also baked bread on its coals. I have roasted meat and eaten it. Shall I make the rest of it into an abomination? Shall I bow down to a tree trunk?"
- He feeds on ashes. A deceived heart has turned him aside; and he can't deliver his soul, nor say, "Isn't there a lie in my right hand?"
- Remember these things, Jacob and Israel; for you are my servant. I have formed you. You are my servant. Israel, you will not be forgotten by me.
- I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, your transgressions, and, as a cloud, your sins. Return to me, for I have redeemed you.
- Sing, you heavens, for Yahweh has done it! Shout, you lower parts of the earth! Break out into singing, you mountains, O forest, all of your trees, for Yahweh has redeemed Jacob, and will glorify himself in Israel.
- Thus says Yahweh, your Redeemer, and he who formed you from the womb: "I am Yahweh, who makes all things; who alone stretches out the heavens; who spreads out the earth by myself;
- who frustrates the signs of the liars, and makes diviners mad; who turns wise men backward, and makes their knowledge foolish;
- who confirms the word of his servant, and performs the counsel of his messengers; who says of Jerusalem, 'She will be inhabited;' and of the cities of Judah, 'They will be built,' and 'I will raise up its waste places;'
- who says to the deep, 'Be dry,' and 'I will dry up your rivers;'
- Who says of Cyrus, 'He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure,' even saying of Jerusalem, 'She will be built;' and of the temple, 'Your foundation will be laid.'"
|Isaiah 44 Text (Hebrew)
- ועתה שמע יעקב עבדי וישראל בחרתי בו׃
- כה־אמר יהוה עשך ויצרך מבטן יעזרך אל־תירא עבדי יעקב וישרון בחרתי בו׃
- כי אצק־מים על־צמא ונזלים על־יבשה אצק רוחי על־זרעך וברכתי על־צאצאיך׃
- וצמחו בבין חציר כערבים על־יבלי־מים׃
- זה יאמר ליהוה אני וזה יקרא בשם־יעקב וזה יכתב ידו ליהוה ובשם ישראל יכנה׃ ף
- כה־אמר יהוה מלך־ישראל וגאלו יהוה צבאות אני ראשון ואני אחרון ומבלעדי אין אלהים׃
- ומי־כמוני יקרא ויגידה ויערכה לי משומי עם־עולם ואתיות ואשר תבאנה יגידו למו׃
- אל־תפחדו ואל־תרהו הלא מאז השמעתיך והגדתי ואתם עדי היש אלוה מבלעדי ואין צור בל־ידעתי׃
- יצרי־פסל כלם תהו וחמודיהם בל־יועילו ועדיהם המה בל־יראו ובל־ידעו למען יבשו׃
- מי־יצר אל ופסל נסך לבלתי הועיל׃
- הן כל־חבריו יבשו וחרשים המה מאדם יתקבצו כלם יעמדו יפחדו יבשו יחד׃
- חרש ברזל מעצד ופעל בפחם ובמקבות יצרהו ויפעלהו בזרוע כחו גם־רעב ואין כח לא־שתה מים וייעף׃
- חרש עצים נטה קו יתארהו בשרד יעשהו במקצעות ובמחוגה יתארהו ויעשהו כתבנית איש כתפארת אדם לשבת בית׃
- לכרת־לו ארזים ויקח תרזה ואלון ויאמץ־לו בעצי־יער נטע ארן וגשם יגדל׃
- והיה לאדם לבער ויקח מהם ויחם אף־ישיק ואפה לחם אף־יפעל־אל וישתחו עשהו פסל ויסגד־למו׃
- חציו שרף במו־אש על־חציו בשר יאכל יצלה צלי וישבע אף־יחם ויאמר האח חמותי ראיתי אור׃
- ושאריתו לאל עשה לפסלו ־לו וישתחו ויתפלל אליו ויאמר הצילני כי אלי אתה׃
- לא ידעו ולא יבינו כי טח מראות עיניהם מהשכיל לבתם׃
- ולא־ישיב אל־לבו ולא דעת ולא־תבונה לאמר חציו שרפתי במו־אש ואף אפיתי על־גחליו לחם אצלה בשר ואכל ויתרו לתועבה אעשה לבול עץ אסגוד׃
- רעה אפר לב הותל הטהו ולא־יציל את־נפשו ולא יאמר הלוא שקר בימיני׃ ס
- זכר־אלה יעקב וישראל כי עבדי־אתה יצרתיך עבד־לי אתה ישראל לא תנשני׃
- מחיתי כעב פשעיך וכעןן חטאותיך שובה אלי כי גאלתיך׃
- רנו שמים כי־עשה יהוה הריעו תחתיות ארץ פצחו הרים רנה יער וכל־עץ בו כי־גאל יהוה יעקב ובישראל יתפאר׃ ף
- כה־אמר יהוה גאלך ויצרך מבטן אנכי יהוה עשה כל נטה שמים לבדי רקע הארץ ׃
- מפר אתות בדים וקסמים יהולל משיב חכמים אחור ודעתם ישכל׃
- מקים דבר עבדו ועצת מלאכיו ישלים האמר לירושלם תושב ולערי יהודה תבנינה וחרבותיה אקוםם׃
- האמר לצולה חרבי ונהרתיך אוביש׃
- האמר לכורש רעי וכל־חפצי ישלם ולאמר לירושלם תבנה והיכל תוסד׃ ס
|Isaiah 44 Text (Latin)
- Et nunc audi, Jacob, serve meus, et Israël, quem elegi.
- Hæc dicit Dominus faciens et formans te, ab utero auxiliator tuus : Noli timere, serve meus Jacob, et rectissime, quem elegi.
- Effundam enim aquas super sitientem, et fluenta super aridam : effundam spiritum meum super semen tuum, et benedictionem meam super stirpem tuam ;
- et germinabunt inter herbas, quasi salices juxta præterfluentes aquas.
- Iste dicet : Domini ego sum ; et ille vocabit in nomine Jacob ; et hic scribet manu sua : Domino, et in nomine Israël assimilabitur.
- Hæc dicit Dominus, rex Israël, et redemptor ejus, Dominus exercituum : Ego primus, et ego novissimus ; et absque me non est Deus.
- Quis similis mei ? vocet, et annuntiet ; et ordinem exponat mihi, ex quo constitui populum antiquum ; ventura et quæ futura sunt annuntient eis.
- Nolite timere, neque conturbemini ; ex tunc audire te feci et annuntiavi ; vos estis testes mei. Numquid est Deus absque me, et formator quem ego non noverim ?
- Plastæ idoli omnes nihil sunt, et amantissima eorum non proderunt eis. Ipsi sunt testes eorum, quia non vident, neque intelligunt, ut confundantur.
- Quis formavit deum, et sculptile conflavit ad nihil utile ?
- Ecce omnes participes ejus confundentur, fabri enim sunt ex hominibus ; convenient omnes, stabunt et pavebunt, et confundentur simul.
- Faber ferrarius lima operatus est, in prunis et in malleis formavit illud, et operatus est in brachio fortitudinis suæ ; esuriet et deficiet, non bibet aquam et lassescet.
- Artifex lignarius extendit normam, formavit illud in runcina, fecit illud in angularibus, et in circino tornavit illud, et fecit imaginem viri quasi speciosum hominem habitantem in domo ;
- succidit cedros, tulit ilicem, et quercum, quæ steterat inter ligna saltus ; plantavit pinum, quam pluvia nutrivit ;
- et facta est hominibus in focum ; sumpsit ex eis, et calefactus est ; et succendit et coxit panes ; de reliquo autem operatus est deum et adoravit ; fecit sculptile, et curvatus est ante illud.
- Medium ejus combussit igni, et de medio ejus carnes comedit ; coxit pulmentum, et saturatus est, et calefactus est, et dixit : Vah ! calefactus sum, vidi focum ;
- reliquum autem ejus deum fecit et sculptile sibi ; curvatur ante illud, et adorat illud, et obsecrat, dicens : Libera me, quia deus meus es tu !
- Nescierunt, neque intellexerunt ; obliti enim sunt ne videant oculi eorum, et ne intelligant corde suo.
- Non recogitant in mente sua, neque cognoscunt, neque sentiunt, ut dicant : Medietatem ejus combussi igni, et coxi super carbones ejus panes ; coxi carnes et comedi, et de reliquo ejus idolum faciam ? ante truncum ligni procidam ?
- Pars ejus cinis est ; cor insipiens adoravit illud, et non liberabit animam suam, neque dicet : Forte mendacium est in dextera mea.
- Memento horum Jacob, et Israël, quoniam servus meus es tu. Formavi te ; servus meus es tu, Israël, ne obliviscaris mei.
- Delevi ut nubem iniquitates tuas, et quasi nebulam peccata tua ; revertere ad me, quoniam redemi te.
- Laudate, cæli, quoniam misericordiam fecit Dominus ; jubilate, extrema terræ ; resonate, montes, laudationem, saltus et omne lignum ejus, quoniam redemit Dominus Jacob, et Israël gloriabitur.
- Hæc dicit Dominus, redemptor tuus, et formator tuus ex utero : Ego sum Dominus, faciens omnia, extendens cælos solus, stabiliens terram, et nullus mecum ;
- irrita faciens signa divinorum, et ariolos in furorem vertens ; convertens sapientes retrorsum, et scientiam eorum stultam faciens ;
- suscitans verbum servi sui et consilium nuntiorum suorum complens ; qui dico Jerusalem : Habitaberis ; et civitatibus Juda : Ædificabimini, et deserta ejus suscitabo ;
- qui dico profundo : Desolare, et flumina tua arefaciam ;
- qui dico Cyro : Pastor meus es, et omnem voluntatem meam complebis ; qui dico Jerusalem : Ædificaberis ; et templo : Fundaberis.
|Isaiah 44 Text (KJV)
- Yet now hear, O Jacob my servant; and Israel, whom I have chosen:
- Thus saith the LORD that made thee, and formed thee from the womb, which will help thee; Fear not, O Jacob, my servant; and thou, Jesurun, whom I have chosen.
- For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring:
- And they shall spring up as among the grass, as willows by the water courses.
- One shall say, I am the LORD's; and another shall call himself by the name of Jacob; and another shall subscribe with his hand unto the LORD, and surname himself by the name of Israel.
- Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.
- And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them.
- Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.
- They that make a graven image are all of them vanity; and their delectable things shall not profit; and they are their own witnesses; they see not, nor know; that they may be ashamed.
- Who hath formed a god, or molten a graven image that is profitable for nothing?
- Behold, all his fellows shall be ashamed: and the workmen, they are of men: let them all be gathered together, let them stand up; yet they shall fear, and they shall be ashamed together.
- The smith with the tongs both worketh in the coals, and fashioneth it with hammers, and worketh it with the strength of his arms: yea, he is hungry, and his strength faileth: he drinketh no water, and is faint.
- The carpenter stretcheth out his rule; he marketh it out with a line; he fitteth it with planes, and he marketh it out with the compass, and maketh it after the figure of a man, according to the beauty of a man; that it may remain in the house.
- He heweth him down cedars, and taketh the cypress and the oak, which he strengtheneth for himself among the trees of the forest: he planteth an ash, and the rain doth nourish it.
- Then shall it be for a man to burn: for he will take thereof, and warm himself; yea, he kindleth it, and baketh bread; yea, he maketh a god, and worshippeth it; he maketh it a graven image, and falleth down thereto.
- He burneth part thereof in the fire; with part thereof he eateth flesh; he roasteth roast, and is satisfied: yea, he warmeth himself, and saith, Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire:
- And the residue thereof he maketh a god, even his graven image: he falleth down unto it, and worshippeth it, and prayeth unto it, and saith, Deliver me; for thou art my god.
- They have not known nor understood: for he hath shut their eyes, that they cannot see; and their hearts, that they cannot understand.
- And none considereth in his heart, neither is there knowledge nor understanding to say, I have burned part of it in the fire; yea, also I have baked bread upon the coals thereof; I have roasted flesh, and eaten it: and shall I make the residue thereof an abomination? shall I fall down to the stock of a tree?
- He feedeth on ashes: a deceived heart hath turned him aside, that he cannot deliver his soul, nor say, Is there not a lie in my right hand?
- Remember these, O Jacob and Israel; for thou art my servant: I have formed thee; thou art my servant: O Israel, thou shalt not be forgotten of me.
- I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.
- Sing, O ye heavens; for the LORD hath done it: shout, ye lower parts of the earth: break forth into singing, ye mountains, O forest, and every tree therein: for the LORD hath redeemed Jacob, and glorified himself in Israel.
- Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;
- That frustrateth the tokens of the liars, and maketh diviners mad; that turneth wise men backward, and maketh their knowledge foolish;
- That confirmeth the word of his servant, and performeth the counsel of his messengers; that saith to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be inhabited; and to the cities of Judah, Ye shall be built, and I will raise up the decayed places thereof:
- That saith to the deep, Be dry, and I will dry up thy rivers:
- That saith of Cyrus, He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid.