|Isaiah 40 - Versions
|Isaiah 40 Text (WEB)
- "Comfort, comfort my people," says your God.
- "Speak comfortably to Jerusalem; and call out to her that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned, that she has received of Yahweh's hand double for all her sins."
- The voice of one who calls out, "Prepare the way of Yahweh in the wilderness! Make a level highway in the desert for our God.
- Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low. The uneven shall be made level, and the rough places a plain.
- The glory of Yahweh shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together; for the mouth of Yahweh has spoken it."
- The voice of one saying, "Cry!" One said, "What shall I cry?" "All flesh is like grass, and all its glory is like the flower of the field.
- The grass withers, the flower fades, because Yahweh's breath blows on it. Surely the people are like grass.
- The grass withers, the flower fades; but the word of our God stands forever."
- You who tell good news to Zion, go up on a high mountain. You who tell good news to Jerusalem, lift up your voice with strength. Lift it up. Don't be afraid. Say to the cities of Judah, "Behold, your God!"
- Behold, the Lord Yahweh will come as a mighty one, and his arm will rule for him. Behold, his reward is with him, and his recompense before him.
- He will feed his flock like a shepherd. He will gather the lambs in his arm, and carry them in his bosom. He will gently lead those who have their young.
- Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and marked off the sky with his span, and calculated the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?
- Who has directed the Spirit of Yahweh, or has taught him as his counselor?
- Who did he take counsel with, and who instructed him, and taught him in the path of justice, and taught him knowledge, and showed him the way of understanding?
- Behold, the nations are like a drop in a bucket, and are regarded as a speck of dust on a balance. Behold, he lifts up the islands like a very little thing.
- Lebanon is not sufficient to burn, nor its animals sufficient for a burnt offering.
- All the nations are like nothing before him. They are regarded by him as less than nothing, and vanity.
- To whom then will you liken God? Or what likeness will you compare to him?
- A workman has cast an image, and the goldsmith overlays it with gold, and casts silver chains for it.
- He who is too impoverished for such an offering chooses a tree that will not rot. He seeks a skillful workman to set up an engraved image for him that will not be moved.
- Haven't you known? Haven't you heard, yet? Haven't you been told from the beginning? Haven't you understood from the foundations of the earth?
- It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in;
- who brings princes to nothing; who makes the judges of the earth like meaningless.
- They are planted scarcely. They are sown scarcely. Their stock has scarcely taken root in the ground. He merely blows on them, and they wither, and the whirlwind takes them away as stubble.
- "To whom then will you liken me? Who is my equal?" says the Holy One.
- Lift up your eyes on high, and see who has created these, who brings out their army by number. He calls them all by name. by the greatness of his might, and because he is strong in power, Not one is lacking.
- Why do you say, Jacob, and speak, Israel, "My way is hidden from Yahweh, and the justice due me is disregarded by my God?"
- Haven't you known? Haven't you heard? The everlasting God, Yahweh, The Creator of the ends of the earth, doesn't faint. He isn't weary. His understanding is unsearchable.
- He gives power to the weak. He increases the strength of him who has no might.
- Even the youths faint and get weary, and the young men utterly fall;
- But those who wait for Yahweh will renew their strength. They will mount up with wings like eagles. They will run, and not be weary. They will walk, and not faint.
|Isaiah 40 Text (Hebrew)
- נחמו נחמו עמי יאמר אלהיכם׃
- דברו על־לב ירושלם וקראו אליה כי מלאה צבאה כי נרצה עונה כי לקחה מיד יהוה כפלים בכל־חטאתיה׃ ס
- קול קורא במדבר פנו דרך יהוה ישרו בערבה מסלה לאלהינו׃
- כל־גיא ינשא וכל־הר וגבעה ישפלו והיה העקב למישור והרכסים לבקעה׃
- ונגלה כבוד יהוה וראו כל־בשר יחדו כי פי יהוה דבר׃ ס
- קול אמר קרא ואמר מה אקרא כל־הבשר חציר וכל־חסדו כציץ השדה׃
- יבש חציר נבל ציץ כי רוח יהוה נשבה בו אכן חציר העם׃
- יבש חציר נבל ציץ ודבר־אלהינו יקום לעולם׃ ס
- על הר־גבה עלי־לך מבשרת ציון הרימי בכח קולך מבשרת ירושלם הרימי אל־תיראי אמרי לערי יהודה הנה אלהיכם׃
- הנה אדני יהוה בחזק יבוא וזרעו משלה לו הנה שכרו אתו ופעלתו לפניו׃
- כרעה עדרו ירעה בזרעו יקבץ טלאים ובחיקו ישא עלות ינהל׃ ס
- מי־מדד בשעלו מים ושמים בזרת תכן וכל בשלש עפר הארץ ושקל בפלס הרים וגבעות במאזנים׃
- מי־תכן את־רוח יהוה ואיש עצתו יודיענו׃
- את־מי נועץ ויבינהו וילמדהו בארח משפט וילמדהו דעת ודרך תבונות יודיענו׃
- הן גוים כמר מדלי וכשחק מאזנים נחשבו הן איים כדק יטול׃
- ולבנון אין די בער וחיתו אין די עולה׃ ס
- כל־הגוים כאין נגדו מאפס ותהו נחשבו־לו׃
- ואל־מי תדמיון אל ומה־דמות תערכו לו׃
- הפסל נסך חרש וצרף בזהב ירקענו ורתקות כסף צורף׃
- המסכן תרומה עץ לא־ירקב יבחר חרש חכם יבקש־לו להכין פסל לא ימוט׃
- הלוא תדעו הלוא תשמעו הלוא הגד מראש לכם הלוא הבינתם מוסדות הארץ׃
- הישב על־חוג הארץ וישביה כחגבים הנוטה כדק שמים וימתחם כאהל לשבת׃
- הנותן רוזנים לאין שפטי ארץ כתהו עשה׃
- אף בל־נטעו אף בל־זרעו אף בל־שרש בארץ גזעם וגם־נשף בהם ויבשו וסערה כקש תשאם׃ ס
- ואל־מי תדמיוני ואשוה יאמר קדוש׃
- שאו־מרום עיניכם וראו מי־ברא אלה המוציא במספר צבאם לכלם בשם יקרא מרב אונים ואמיץ כח איש לא נעדר׃ ס
- למה תאמר יעקב ותדבר ישראל נסתרה דרכי מיהוה ומאלהי משפטי יעבור׃
- הלוא ידעת אם־לא שמעת אלהי עולם יהוה בורא קצות הארץ לא ייעף ולא ייגע אין חקר לתבונתו׃
- נתן ליעף כח ולאין אונים עצמה ירבה׃
- ויעפו נערים ויגעו ובחורים כשול יכשלו׃
- וקוי יהוה יחליפו כח יעלו אבר כנשרים ירוצו ולא ייגעו ילכו ולא ייעפו׃ ף
|Isaiah 40 Text (Latin)
- Consolamini, consolamini, popule meus, dicit Deus vester.
- Loquimini ad cor Jerusalem, et advocate eam, quoniam completa est malitia ejus, dimissa est iniquitas illius, suscepit de manu Domini duplicia pro omnibus peccatis suis.
- Vox clamantis in deserto : Parate viam Domini, rectas facite in solitudine semitas Dei nostri.
- Omnis vallis exaltabitur, et omnis mons et collis humiliabitur ; et erunt prava in directa, et aspera in vias planas ;
- et revelabitur gloria Domini, et videbit omnis caro pariter quod os Domini locutum est.
- Vox dicentis : Clama. Et dixi : Quid clamabo ? Omnis caro fœnum, et omnis gloria ejus quasi flos agri.
- Exsiccatum est fœnum, et cecidit flos, quia spiritus Domini sufflavit in eo. Vere fœnum est populus ;
- exsiccatum est fœnum, et cecidit flos ; verbum autem Domini nostri manet in æternum.
- Super montem excelsum ascende, tu qui evangelizas Sion ; exalta in fortitudine vocem tuam, qui evangelizas Jerusalem ; exalta, noli timere. Dic civitatibus Juda : Ecce Deus vester :
- ecce Dominus Deus in fortitudine veniet, et brachium ejus dominabitur, ecce merces ejus cum eo, et opus illius coram illo.
- Sicut pastor gregem suum pascet, in brachio suo congregabit agnos, et in sinu suo levabit ; fœtas ipse portabit.
- Quis mensus est pugillo aquas, et cælos palmo ponderavit ? Quis appendit tribus digitis molem terræ, et liberavit in pondere montes, et colles in statera ?
- Quis adjuvit spiritum Domini ? aut quis consiliarius ejus fuit, et ostendit illi ?
- Cum quo iniit consilium, et instruxit eum, et docuit eum semitam justitiæ, et erudivit eum scientiam, et viam prudentiæ ostendit illi ?
- Ecce gentes quasi stilla situlæ, et quasi momentum stateræ reputatæ sunt ; ecce insulæ quasi pulvis exiguus.
- Et Libanus non sufficiet ad succendendum ; et animalia ejus non sufficient ad holocaustum.
- Omnes gentes quasi non sint, sic sunt coram eo, et quasi nihilum et inane reputatæ sunt ei.
- Cui ergo similem fecisti Deum ? aut quam imaginem ponetis ei ?
- Numquid sculptile conflavit faber ? aut aurifex auro figuravit illud, et laminis argenteis argentarius ?
- Forte lignum et imputribile elegit ; artifex sapiens quærit quomodo statuat simulacrum, quod non moveatur.
- Numquid non scitis ? numquid non audistis ? numquid non annuntiatum est vobis ab initio ? numquid non intellexistis fundamenta terræ ?
- Qui sedet super gyrum terræ, et habitatores ejus sunt quasi locustæ ; qui extendit velut nihilum cælos, et expandit eos sicut tabernaculum ad inhabitandum ;
- qui dat secretorum scrutatores quasi non sint, judices terræ velut inane fecit.
- Et quidem neque plantatus, neque satus, neque radicatus in terra truncus eorum ; repente flavit in eos, et aruerunt, et turbo quasi stipulam auferet eos.
- Et cui assimilastis me, et adæquastis, dicit Sanctus ?
- Levate in excelsum oculos vestros, et videte quis creavit hæc ; qui educit in numero militiam eorum, et omnes ex nomine vocat ; præ multitudine fortitudinis et roboris, virtutisque ejus, neque unum reliquum fuit.
- Quare dicis, Jacob, et loqueris, Israël : Abscondita est via mea a Domino, et a Deo meo judicium meum transivit ?
- Numquid nescis, aut non audisti ? Deus sempiternus Dominus, qui creavit terminos terræ ; non deficiet, neque laborabit, nec est investigatio sapientiæ ejus.
- Qui dat lasso virtutem, et his qui non sunt fortitudinem et robur multiplicat.
- Deficient pueri, et laborabunt, et juvenes in infirmitate cadent ;
- qui autem sperant in Domino mutabunt fortitudinem, assument pennas sicut aquilæ, current et non laborabunt, ambulabunt et non deficient.
|Isaiah 40 Text (KJV)
- Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
- Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD's hand double for all her sins.
- The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
- Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:
- And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.
- The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field:
- The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the LORD bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass.
- The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.
- O Zion, that bringest good tidings, get thee up into the high mountain; O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God!
- Behold, the Lord GOD will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him.
- He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.
- Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?
- Who hath directed the Spirit of the LORD, or being his counseller hath taught him?
- With whom took he counsel, and who instructed him, and taught him in the path of judgment, and taught him knowledge, and shewed to him the way of understanding?
- Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he taketh up the isles as a very little thing.
- And Lebanon is not sufficient to burn, nor the beasts thereof sufficient for a burnt offering.
- All nations before him are as nothing; and they are counted to him less than nothing, and vanity.
- To whom then will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto him?
- The workman melteth a graven image, and the goldsmith spreadeth it over with gold, and casteth silver chains.
- He that is so impoverished that he hath no oblation chooseth a tree that will not rot; he seeketh unto him a cunning workman to prepare a graven image, that shall not be moved.
- Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth?
- It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:
- That bringeth the princes to nothing; he maketh the judges of the earth as vanity.
- Yea, they shall not be planted; yea, they shall not be sown: yea, their stock shall not take root in the earth: and he shall also blow upon them, and they shall wither, and the whirlwind shall take them away as stubble.
- To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One.
- Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not one faileth.
- Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest, O Israel, My way is hid from the LORD, and my judgment is passed over from my God?
- Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.
- He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.
- Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:
- But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.