|Genesis 33 - Versions
|Genesis 33 Text (WEB)
- Jacob lifted up his eyes, and looked, and, behold, Esau was coming, and with him four hundred men. He divided the children between Leah, Rachel, and the two handmaids.
- He put the handmaids and their children in front, Leah and her children after, and Rachel and Joseph at the rear.
- He himself passed over in front of them, and bowed himself to the ground seven times, until he came near to his brother.
- Esau ran to meet him, embraced him, fell on his neck, kissed him, and they wept.
- He lifted up his eyes, and saw the women and the children; and said, "Who are these with you?" He said, "The children whom God has graciously given your servant."
- Then the handmaids came near with their children, and they bowed themselves.
- Leah also and her children came near, and bowed themselves. After them, Joseph came near with Rachel, and they bowed themselves.
- Esau said, "What do you mean by all this company which I met?" Jacob said, "To find favor in the sight of my lord."
- Esau said, "I have enough, my brother; let that which you have be yours."
- Jacob said, "Please, no, if I have now found favor in your sight, then receive my present at my hand, because I have seen your face, as one sees the face of God, and you were pleased with me.
- Please take the gift that I brought to you, because God has dealt graciously with me, and because I have enough." He urged him, and he took it.
- Esau said, "Let us take our journey, and let us go, and I will go before you."
- Jacob said to him, "My lord knows that the children are tender, and that the flocks and herds with me have their young, and if they overdrive them one day, all the flocks will die.
- Please let my lord pass over before his servant, and I will lead on gently, according to the pace of the livestock that are before me and according to the pace of the children, until I come to my lord to Seir."
- Esau said, "Let me now leave with you some of the folk who are with me." He said, "Why? Let me find favor in the sight of my lord."
- So Esau returned that day on his way to Seir.
- Jacob traveled to Succoth, built himself a house, and made shelters for his livestock. Therefore the name of the place is called Succoth.
- Jacob came in peace to the city of Shechem, which is in the land of Canaan, when he came from Paddan Aram; and encamped before the city.
- He bought the parcel of ground where he had spread his tent, at the hand of the children of Hamor, Shechem's father, for one hundred pieces of money.
- He erected an altar there, and called it El Elohe Israel.
|Genesis 33 Text (Hebrew)
- וישא יעקב עיניו וירא והנה עשו בא ועמו ארבע מאות איש ויחץ את־הילדים על־לאה ועל־רחל ועל שתי השפחות׃
- וישם את־השפחות ואת־ילדיהן ראשנה ואת־לאה וילדיה אחרנים ואת־רחל ואת־יוסף אחרנים׃
- והוא עבר לפניהם וישתחו ארצה שבע פעמים עד־גשתו עד־אחיו׃
- וירץ עשו לקראתו ויחבקהו ויפל על־צוארו וישקהו ויבכו׃
- וישא את־עיניו וירא את־הנשים ואת־הילדים ויאמר מי־אלה לך ויאמר הילדים אשר־חןן אלהים את־עבדך׃
- ותגשן השפחות הנה וילדיהן ותשתחוין׃
- ותגש גם־לאה וילדיה וישתחוו ואחר נגש יוסף ורחל וישתחוו׃
- ויאמר מי לך כל־המחנה הזה אשר פגשתי ויאמר למצא־חן בעיני אדני׃
- ויאמר עשו יש־לי רב אחי יהי לך אשר־לך׃
- ויאמר יעקב אל־נא אם־נא מצאתי חן בעיניך ולקחת מנחתי מידי כי על־כן ראיתי פניך כראת פני אלהים ותרצני׃
- קח־נא את־ברכתי אשר הבאת לך כי־חנני אלהים וכי יש־לי־כל ויפצר־בו ויקח׃
- ויאמר נסעה ונלכה ואלכה לנגדך׃
- ויאמר אליו אדני ידע כי־הילדים רכים והצאן והבקר עלות עלי ודפקום יום אחד ומתו כל־הצאן׃
- יעבר־נא אדני לפני עבדו ואני אתנהלה לאטי לרגל המלאכה אשר־לפני ולרגל הילדים עד אשר־אבא אל־אדני שעירה׃
- ויאמר עשו אציגה־נא עמך מן־העם אשר אתי ויאמר למה זה אמצא־חן בעיני אדני׃
- וישב ביום ההוא עשו לדרכו שעירה׃
- ויעקב נסע סכתה ויבן לו בית ולמקנהו עשה סכת על־כן קרא שם־המקום סכות׃ ס
- ויבא יעקב שלם עיר שכם אשר בארץ כנען בבאו מפדן ארם ויחן את־פני העיר׃
- ויקן את־חלקת השדה אשר נטה־שם אהלו מיד בני־חמור אבי שכם במאה קשיטה׃
- ויצב־שם מזבח ויקרא־לו אל אלהי ישראל׃ ס
|Genesis 33 Text (Latin)
- Elevans autem Jacob oculos suos, vidit venientem Esau, et cum eo quadringentos viros : divisitque filios Liæ et Rachel, ambarumque famularum :
- et posuit utramque ancillam, et liberos earum, in principio : Liam vero, et filios ejus, in secundo loco : Rachel autem et Joseph novissimos.
- Et ipse progrediens adoravit pronus in terram septies, donec appropinquaret frater ejus.
- Currens itaque Esau obviam fratri suo, amplexatus est eum : stringensque collum ejus, et osculans flevit.
- Levatisque oculis, vidit mulieres et parvulos earum, et ait : Quid sibi volunt isti ? et si ad te pertinent ? Respondit : Parvuli sunt quos donavit mihi Deus servo tuo.
- Et appropinquantes ancillæ et filii earum, incurvati sunt.
- Accessit quoque Lia cum pueris suis : et cum similiter adorassent, extremi Joseph et Rachel adoraverunt.
- Dixitque Esau : Quænam sunt istæ turmæ quas obviam habui ? Respondit : Ut invenirem gratiam coram domino meo.
- At ille ait : Habeo plurima, frater mi, sint tua tibi.
- Dixitque Jacob : Noli ita, obsecro : sed si inveni gratiam in oculis tuis, accipe munusculum de manibus meis. Sic enim vidi faciem tuam, quasi viderim vultum Dei : esto mihi propitius,
- et suscipe benedictionem quam attuli tibi, et quam donavit mihi Deus tribuens omnia. Vix fratre compellente, suscipiens,
- ait : Gradiamur simul, eroque socius itineris tui.
- Dixitque Jacob : Nosti, domine mi, quod parvulos habeam teneros, et oves, et boves fœtas mecum : quas si plus in ambulando fecero laborare, morientur una die cuncti greges.
- Præcedat dominus meus ante servum suum : et ego sequar paulatim vestigia ejus, sicut videro parvulos meos posse, donec veniam ad dominum meum in Seir.
- Respondit Esau : Oro te, ut de populo qui mecum est, saltem socri remaneant viæ tuæ. Non est, inquit, necesse : hoc uno tantum indigeo, ut inveniam gratiam in conspectu tuo, domine mi.
- Reversus est itaque illo die Esau itinere quo venerat in Seir.
- Et Jacob venit in Socoth : ubi ædificata domo et fixis tentoriis appellavit nomen loci illius Socoth, id est, Tabernacula.
- Transivitque in Salem urbem Sichimorum, quæ est in terra Chanaan, postquam reversus est de Mesopotamia Syriæ : et habitavit juxta oppidum.
- Emitque partem agri, in qua fixerat tabernacula, a filiis Hemor patris Sichem centum agnis.
- Et erecto ibi altari, invocavit super illud fortissimum Deum Israël.
|Genesis 33 Text (KJV)
- And Jacob lifted up his eyes, and looked, and, behold, Esau came, and with him four hundred men. And he divided the children unto Leah, and unto Rachel, and unto the two handmaids.
- And he put the handmaids and their children foremost, and Leah and her children after, and Rachel and Joseph hindermost.
- And he passed over before them, and bowed himself to the ground seven times, until he came near to his brother.
- And Esau ran to meet him, and embraced him, and fell on his neck, and kissed him: and they wept.
- And he lifted up his eyes, and saw the women and the children; and said, Who are those with thee? And he said, The children which God hath graciously given thy servant.
- Then the handmaidens came near, they and their children, and they bowed themselves.
- And Leah also with her children came near, and bowed themselves: and after came Joseph near and Rachel, and they bowed themselves.
- And he said, What meanest thou by all this drove which I met? And he said, These are to find grace in the sight of my lord.
- And Esau said, I have enough, my brother; keep that thou hast unto thyself.
- And Jacob said, Nay, I pray thee, if now I have found grace in thy sight, then receive my present at my hand: for therefore I have seen thy face, as though I had seen the face of God, and thou wast pleased with me.
- Take, I pray thee, my blessing that is brought to thee; because God hath dealt graciously with me, and because I have enough. And he urged him, and he took it.
- And he said, Let us take our journey, and let us go, and I will go before thee.
- And he said unto him, My lord knoweth that the children are tender, and the flocks and herds with young are with me: and if men should overdrive them one day, all the flock will die.
- Let my lord, I pray thee, pass over before his servant: and I will lead on softly, according as the cattle that goeth before me and the children be able to endure, until I come unto my lord unto Seir.
- And Esau said, Let me now leave with thee some of the folk that are with me. And he said, What needeth it? let me find grace in the sight of my lord.
- So Esau returned that day on his way unto Seir.
- And Jacob journeyed to Succoth, and built him an house, and made booths for his cattle: therefore the name of the place is called Succoth.
- And Jacob came to Shalem, a city of Shechem, which is in the land of Canaan, when he came from Padan-aram; and pitched his tent before the city.
- And he bought a parcel of a field, where he had spread his tent, at the hand of the children of Hamor, Shechem's father, for an hundred pieces of money.
- And he erected there an altar, and called it El-elohe-Israel.