|Genesis 28 - Versions
|Genesis 28 Text (WEB)
- Isaac called Jacob, blessed him, and commanded him, "You shall not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan.
- Arise, go to Paddan Aram, to the house of Bethuel your mother's father. Take a wife from there from the daughters of Laban, your mother's brother.
- May God Almighty bless you, and make you fruitful, and multiply you, that you may be a company of peoples,
- and give you the blessing of Abraham, to you, and to your seed with you, that you may inherit the land where you travel, which God gave to Abraham."
- Isaac sent Jacob away. He went to Paddan Aram to Laban, son of Bethuel the Syrian, Rebekah's brother, Jacob's and Esau's mother.
- Now Esau saw that Isaac had blessed Jacob and sent him away to Paddan Aram, to take him a wife from there, and that as he blessed him he gave him a command, saying, "You shall not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan,"
- and that Jacob obeyed his father and his mother, and was gone to Paddan Aram.
- Esau saw that the daughters of Canaan didn't please Isaac, his father.
- Esau went to Ishmael, and took, besides the wives that he had, Mahalath the daughter of Ishmael, Abraham's son, the sister of Nebaioth, to be his wife.
- Jacob went out from Beersheba, and went toward Haran.
- He came to a certain place, and stayed there all night, because the sun had set. He took one of the stones of the place, and put it under his head, and lay down in that place to sleep.
- He dreamed. Behold, a stairway set upon the earth, and its top reached to heaven. Behold, the angels of God ascending and descending on it.
- Behold, Yahweh stood above it, and said, "I am Yahweh, the God of Abraham your father, and the God of Isaac. The land whereon you lie, to you will I give it, and to your seed.
- Your seed will be as the dust of the earth, and you will spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south. In you and in your seed will all the families of the earth be blessed.
- Behold, I am with you, and will keep you, wherever you go, and will bring you again into this land. For I will not leave you, until I have done that which I have spoken of to you."
- Jacob awakened out of his sleep, and he said, "Surely Yahweh is in this place, and I didn't know it."
- He was afraid, and said, "How dreadful is this place! This is none other than God's house, and this is the gate of heaven."
- Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put under his head, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil on its top.
- He called the name of that place Bethel, but the name of the city was Luz at the first.
- Jacob vowed a vow, saying, "If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and clothing to put on,
- so that I come again to my father's house in peace, and Yahweh will be my God,
- then this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, will be God's house. Of all that you will give me I will surely give the tenth to you."
|Genesis 28 Text (Hebrew)
- ויקרא יצחק אל־יעקב ויברך אתו ויצוהו ויאמר לו לא־תקח אשה מבנות כנען׃
- קום לך פדנה ארם ביתה בתואל אבי אמך וקח־לך משם אשה מבנות לבן אחי אמך׃
- ואל שדי יברך אתך ויפרך וירבך והיית לקהל עמים׃
- ויתן־לך את־ברכת אברהם לך ולזרעך אתך לרשתך את־ארץ מגריך אשר־נתן אלהים לאברהם׃
- וישלח יצחק את־יעקב וילך פדנה ארם אל־לבן בן־בתואל הארמי אחי רבקה אם יעקב ועשו׃
- וירא עשו כי־ברך יצחק את־יעקב ושלח אתו פדנה ארם לקחת־לו משם אשה בברכו אתו ויצו עליו לאמר לא־תקח אשה מבנות כנען׃
- וישמע יעקב אל־אביו ואל־אמו וילך פדנה ארם׃
- וירא עשו כי רעות בנות כנען בעיני יצחק אביו׃
- וילך עשו אל־ישמעאל ויקח את־מחלת בת־ישמעאל בן־אברהם אחות נביות על־נשיו לו לאשה׃ ס
- ויצא יעקב מבאר שבע וילך חרנה׃
- ויפגע במקום וילן שם כי־בא השמש ויקח מאבני המקום וישם מראשתיו וישכב במקום ההוא׃
- ויחלם והנה סלם מצב ארצה וראשו מגיע השמימה והנה מלאכי אלהים עלים וירדים בו׃
- והנה יהוה נצב עליו ויאמר אני יהוה אלהי אברהם אביך ואלהי יצחק הארץ אשר אתה שכב עליה לך אתננה ולזרעך׃
- והיה זרעך כעפר הארץ ופרצת ימה וקדמה וצפנה ונגבה ונברכו בך כל־משפחת האדמה ובזרעך׃
- והנה אנכי עמך ושמרתיך בכל אשר־תלך והשבתיך אל־האדמה הזאת כי לא אעזבך עד אשר אם־עשיתי את אשר־דברתי לך׃
- וייקץ יעקב משנתו ויאמר אכן יש יהוה במקום הזה ואנכי לא ידעתי׃
- ויירא ויאמר מה־נורא המקום הזה אין זה כי אם־בית אלהים וזה שער השמים׃
- וישכם יעקב בבקר ויקח את־האבן אשר־שם מראשתיו וישם אתה מצבה ויצק שמן על־ראשה׃
- ויקרא את־שם־המקום ההוא בית־אל ואולם לוז שם־העיר לראשנה׃
- וידר יעקב נדר לאמר אם־יהיה אלהים עמדי ושמרני בדרך הזה אשר אנכי הולך ונתן־לי לחם לאכל ובגד ללבש׃
- ושבתי בשלום אל־בית אבי והיה יהוה לי לאלהים׃
- והאבן הזאת אשר־שמתי מצבה יהיה בית אלהים וכל אשר תתן־לי עשר אעשרנו לך׃
|Genesis 28 Text (Latin)
- Vocavit itaque Isaac Jacob, et benedixit eum, præcepitque ei dicens : Noli accipere conjugem de genere Chanaan :
- sed vade, et proficiscere in Mesopotamiam Syriæ, ad domum Bathuel patris matris tuæ, et accipe tibi inde uxorem de filiabus Laban avunculi tui.
- Deus autem omnipotens benedicat tibi, et crescere te faciat, atque multiplicet, ut sis in turbas populorum.
- Et det tibi benedictiones Abrahæ, et semini tuo post te : ut possideas terram peregrinationis tuæ, quam pollicitus est avo tuo.
- Cumque dimisisset eum Isaac, profectus venit in Mesopotamiam Syriæ ad Laban filium Bathuel Syri, fratrem Rebeccæ matris suæ.
- Videns autem Esau quod benedixisset pater suus Jacob, et misisset eum in Mesopotamiam Syriæ, ut inde uxorem duceret ; et quod post benedictionem præcepisset ei, dicens : Non accipies uxorem de filiabus Chanaan :
- quodque obediens Jacob parentibus suis isset in Syriam :
- probans quoque quod non libenter aspiceret filias Chanaan pater suus :
- ivit ad Ismaëlem, et duxit uxorem absque iis, quas prius habebat, Maheleth filiam Ismaël filii Abraham, sororem Nabaioth.
- Igitur egressus Jacob de Bersabee, pergebat Haran.
- Cumque venisset ad quemdam locum, et vellet in eo requiescere post solis occubitum, tulit de lapidibus qui jacebant, et supponens capiti suo, dormivit in eodem loco.
- Viditque in somnis scalam stantem super terram, et cacumen illius tangens cælum : angelos quoque Dei ascendentes et descendentes per eam,
- et Dominum innixum scalæ dicentem sibi : Ego sum Dominus Deus Abraham patris tui, et Deus Isaac : terram, in qua dormis, tibi dabo et semini tuo.
- Eritque semen tuum quasi pulvis terræ : dilataberis ad occidentem, et orientem, et septentrionem, et meridiem : et benedicentur in te et in semine tuo cunctæ tribus terræ.
- Et ero custos tuus quocumque perrexeris, et reducam te in terram hanc : nec dimittam nisi complevero universa quæ dixi.
- Cumque evigilasset Jacob de somno, ait : Vere Dominus est in loco isto, et ego nesciebam.
- Pavensque, Quam terribilis est, inquit, locus iste ! non est hic aliud nisi domus Dei, et porta cæli.
- Surgens ergo Jacob mane, tulit lapidem quem supposuerat capiti suo, et erexit in titulum, fundens oleum desuper.
- Appellavitque nomen urbis Bethel, quæ prius Luza vocabatur.
- Vovit etiam votum, dicens : Si fuerit Deus mecum, et custodierit me in via, per quam ego ambulo, et dederit mihi panem ad vescendum, et vestimentum ad induendum,
- reversusque fuero prospere ad domum patris mei : erit mihi Dominus in Deum,
- et lapis iste, quem erexi in titulum, vocabitur Domus Dei : cunctorumque quæ dederis mihi, decimas offeram tibi.
|Genesis 28 Text (KJV)
- And Isaac called Jacob, and blessed him, and charged him, and said unto him, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan.
- Arise, go to Padan-aram, to the house of Bethuel thy mother's father; and take thee a wife from thence of the daughters of Laban thy mother's brother.
- And God Almighty bless thee, and make thee fruitful, and multiply thee, that thou mayest be a multitude of people;
- And give thee the blessing of Abraham, to thee, and to thy seed with thee; that thou mayest inherit the land wherein thou art a stranger, which God gave unto Abraham.
- And Isaac sent away Jacob: and he went to Padan-aram unto Laban, son of Bethuel the Syrian, the brother of Rebekah, Jacob's and Esau's mother.
- When Esau saw that Isaac had blessed Jacob, and sent him away to Padan-aram, to take him a wife from thence; and that as he blessed him he gave him a charge, saying, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan;
- And that Jacob obeyed his father and his mother, and was gone to Padan-aram;
- And Esau seeing that the daughters of Canaan pleased not Isaac his father;
- Then went Esau unto Ishmael, and took unto the wives which he had Mahalath the daughter of Ishmael Abraham's son, the sister of Nebajoth, to be his wife.
- And Jacob went out from Beer-sheba, and went toward Haran.
- And he lighted upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep.
- And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.
- And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;
- And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
- And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of.
- And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the LORD is in this place; and I knew it not.
- And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.
- And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it.
- And he called the name of that place Bethel: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first.
- And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
- So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:
- And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.