|Genesis 12 - Versions
|Genesis 12 Text (WEB)
- Now Yahweh said to Abram, "Get out of your country, and from your relatives, and from your father's house, to the land that I will show you.
- I will make of you a great nation. I will bless you and make your name great. You will be a blessing.
- I will bless those who bless you, and I will curse him who curses you. All of the families of the earth will be blessed in you."
- So Abram went, as Yahweh had spoken to him. Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed out of Haran.
- Abram took Sarai his wife, Lot his brother's son, all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls whom they had gotten in Haran, and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan. Into the land of Canaan they came.
- Abram passed through the land to the place of Shechem, to the oak of Moreh. The Canaanite was then in the land.
- Yahweh appeared to Abram and said, "I will give this land to your seed." He built an altar there to Yahweh, who appeared to him.
- He left from there to the mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, having Bethel on the west, and Ai on the east. There he built an altar to Yahweh and called on the name of Yahweh.
- Abram traveled, going on still toward the South.
- There was a famine in the land. Abram went down into Egypt to live as a foreigner there, for the famine was severe in the land.
- It happened, when he had come near to enter Egypt, that he said to Sarai his wife, "See now, I know that you are a beautiful woman to look at.
- It will happen, when the Egyptians will see you, that they will say, 'This is his wife.' They will kill me, but they will save you alive.
- Please say that you are my sister, that it may be well with me for your sake, and that my soul may live because of you."
- It happened that when Abram had come into Egypt, the Egyptians saw that the woman was very beautiful.
- The princes of Pharaoh saw her, and praised her to Pharaoh; and the woman was taken into Pharaoh's house.
- He dealt well with Abram for her sake. He had sheep, cattle, male donkeys, male servants, female servants, female donkeys, and camels.
- Yahweh plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai, Abram's wife.
- Pharaoh called Abram and said, "What is this that you have done to me? Why didn't you tell me that she was your wife?
- Why did you say, 'She is my sister,' so that I took her to be my wife? Now therefore, see your wife, take her, and go your way."
- Pharaoh commanded men concerning him, and they brought him on the way with his wife and all that he had.
|Genesis 12 Text (Hebrew)
- ויאמר יהוה אל־אברם לך־לך מארצך וממולדתך ומבית אביך אל־הארץ אשר אראך׃
- ואעשך לגוי גדול ואברךך ואגדלה שמך והיה ברכה׃
- ואברכה מברכיך ומקללך אאר ונברכו בך כל משפחת האדמה׃
- וילך אברם כאשר דבר אליו יהוה וילך אתו לוט ואברם בן־חמש שנים ושבעים שנה בצאתו מחרן׃
- ויקח אברם את־שרי אשתו ואת־לוט בן־אחיו ואת־כל־רכושם אשר רכשו ואת־הנפש אשר־עשו בחרן ויצאו ללכת ארצה כנען ויבאו ארצה כנען׃
- ויעבר אברם בארץ עד מקום שכם עד אלון מורה והכנעני אז בארץ׃
- וירא יהוה אל־אברם ויאמר לזרעך אתן את־הארץ הזאת ויבן שם מזבח ליהוה הנראה אליו׃
- ויעתק משם ההרה מקדם לבית־אל ויט אהלה בית־אל מים והעי מקדם ויבן־שם מזבח ליהוה ויקרא בשם יהוה׃
- ויסע אברם הלוך ונסוע הנגבה׃ ף
- ויהי רעב בארץ וירד אברם מצרימה לגור שם כי־כבד הרעב בארץ׃
- ויהי כאשר הקריב לבוא מצרימה ויאמר אל־שרי אשתו הנה־נא ידעתי כי אשה יפת־מראה את׃
- והיה כי־יראו אתך המצרים ואמרו אשתו זאת והרגו אתי ואתך יחיו׃
- אמרי־נא אחתי את למען ייטב־לי בעבורך וחיתה נפשי בגללך׃
- ויהי כבוא אברם מצרימה ויראו המצרים את־האשה כי־יפה הוא מאד׃
- ויראו אתה שרי פרעה ויהללו אתה אל־פרעה ותקח האשה בית פרעה׃
- ולאברם היטיב בעבורה ויהי־לו צאן־ובקר וחמרים ועבדים ושפחת ואתנת וגמלים׃
- וינגע יהוה את־פרעה נגעים גדלים ואת־ביתו על־דבר שרי אשת אברם׃
- ויקרא פרעה לאברם ויאמר מה־זאת עשית לי למה לא־הגדת לי כי אשתך הוא׃
- למה אמרת אחתי הוא ואקח אתה לי לאשה ועתה הנה אשתך קח ולך׃
- ויצו עליו פרעה אנשים וישלחו אתו ואת־אשתו ואת־כל־אשר־לו׃
|Genesis 12 Text (Latin)
- Dixit autem Dominus ad Abram : Egredere de terra tua, et de cognatione tua, et de domo patris tui, et veni in terram quam monstrabo tibi.
- Faciamque te in gentem magnam, et benedicam tibi, et magnificabo nomen tuum, erisque benedictus.
- Benedicam benedicentibus tibi, et maledicam maledicentibus tibi, atque in te benedicentur universæ cognationes terræ.
- Egressus est itaque Abram sicut præceperat ei Dominus, et ivit cum eo Lot : septuaginta quinque annorum erat Abram cum egrederetur de Haran.
- Tulitque Sarai uxorem suam, et Lot filium fratris sui, universamque substantiam quam possederant, et animas quas fecerant in Haran : et egressi sunt ut irent in terram Chanaan. Cumque venissent in eam,
- pertransivit Abram terram usque ad locum Sichem, usque ad convallem illustrem : Chananæus autem tunc erat in terra.
- Apparuit autem Dominus Abram, et dixit ei : Semini tuo dabo terram hanc. Qui ædificavit ibi altare Domino, qui apparuerat ei.
- Et inde transgrediens ad montem, qui erat contra orientem Bethel, tetendit ibi tabernaculum suum, ab occidente habens Bethel, et ab oriente Hai : ædificavit quoque ibi altare Domino, et invocavit nomen ejus.
- Perrexitque Abram vadens, et ultra progrediens ad meridiem.
- Facta est autem fames in terra : descenditque Abram in Ægyptum, ut peregrinaretur ibi : prævaluerat enim fames in terra.
- Cumque prope esset ut ingrederetur Ægyptum, dixit Sarai uxori suæ : Novi quod pulchra sis mulier :
- et quod cum viderint te Ægyptii, dicturi sunt : Uxor ipsius est : et interficient me, et te reservabunt.
- Dic ergo, obsecro te, quod soror mea sis : ut bene sit mihi propter te, et vivat anima mea ob gratiam tui.
- Cum itaque ingressus esset Abram Ægyptum, viderunt Ægyptii mulierem quod esset pulchra nimis.
- Et nuntiaverunt principes Pharaoni, et laudaverunt eam apud illum : et sublata est mulier in domum Pharaonis.
- Abram vero bene usi sunt propter illam : fueruntque ei oves et boves et asini, et servi et famulæ, et asinæ et cameli.
- Flagellavit autem Dominus Pharaonem plagis maximis, et domum ejus, propter Sarai uxorem Abram.
- Vocavitque Pharao Abram, et dixit ei : Quidnam est hoc quod fecisti mihi ? quare non indicasti quod uxor tua esset ?
- quam ob causam dixisti esse sororem tuam, ut tollerem eam mihi in uxorem ? Nunc igitur ecce conjux tua, accipe eam, et vade.
- Præcepitque Pharao super Abram viris : et deduxerunt eum, et uxorem illius, et omnia quæ habebat.
|Genesis 12 Text (KJV)
- Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
- And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
- And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.
- So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.
- And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.
- And Abram passed through the land unto the place of Sichem, unto the plain of Moreh. And the Canaanite was then in the land.
- And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him.
- And he removed from thence unto a mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, having Bethel on the west, and Hai on the east: and there he builded an altar unto the LORD, and called upon the name of the LORD.
- And Abram journeyed, going on still toward the south.
- And there was a famine in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there; for the famine was grievous in the land.
- And it came to pass, when he was come near to enter into Egypt, that he said unto Sarai his wife, Behold now, I know that thou art a fair woman to look upon:
- Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see thee, that they shall say, This is his wife: and they will kill me, but they will save thee alive.
- Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister: that it may be well with me for thy sake; and my soul shall live because of thee.
- And it came to pass, that, when Abram was come into Egypt, the Egyptians beheld the woman that she was very fair.
- The princes also of Pharaoh saw her, and commended her before Pharaoh: and the woman was taken into Pharaoh's house.
- And he entreated Abram well for her sake: and he had sheep, and oxen, and he asses, and menservants, and maidservants, and she asses, and camels.
- And the LORD plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai Abram's wife.
- And Pharaoh called Abram, and said, What is this that thou hast done unto me? why didst thou not tell me that she was thy wife?
- Why saidst thou, She is my sister? so I might have taken her to me to wife: now therefore behold thy wife, take her, and go thy way.
- And Pharaoh commanded his men concerning him: and they sent him away, and his wife, and all that he had.