|Deuteronomy 9 - Versions
|Deuteronomy 9 Text (WEB)
- Hear, Israel: you are to pass over the Jordan this day, to go in to dispossess nations greater and mightier than yourself, cities great and fortified up to the sky,
- a people great and tall, the sons of the Anakim, whom you know, and of whom you have heard say, "Who can stand before the sons of Anak?"
- Know therefore this day, that Yahweh your God is he who goes over before you as a devouring fire; he will destroy them, and he will bring them down before you: so you shall drive them out, and make them to perish quickly, as Yahweh has spoken to you.
- Don't say in your heart, after Yahweh your God has thrust them out from before you, saying, "For my righteousness Yahweh has brought me in to possess this land;" because Yahweh drives them out before you because of the wickedness of these nations.
- Not for your righteousness, or for the uprightness of your heart, do you go in to possess their land; but for the wickedness of these nations Yahweh your God does drive them out from before you, and that he may establish the word which Yahweh swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.
- Know therefore, that Yahweh your God doesn't give you this good land to possess it for your righteousness; for you are a stiff-necked people.
- Remember, don't forget, how you provoked Yahweh your God to wrath in the wilderness: from the day that you went forth out of the land of Egypt, until you came to this place, you have been rebellious against Yahweh.
- Also in Horeb you provoked Yahweh to wrath, and Yahweh was angry with you to destroy you.
- When I was gone up onto the mountain to receive the tables of stone, even the tables of the covenant which Yahweh made with you, then I stayed on the mountain forty days and forty nights; I did neither eat bread nor drink water.
- Yahweh delivered to me the two tables of stone written with the finger of God; and on them [was written] according to all the words, which Yahweh spoke with you on the mountain out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly.
- It came to pass at the end of forty days and forty nights, that Yahweh gave me the two tables of stone, even the tables of the covenant.
- Yahweh said to me, "Arise, get down quickly from here; for your people whom you have brought forth out of Egypt have corrupted themselves; they have quickly turned aside out of the way which I commanded them; they have made them a molten image."
- Furthermore Yahweh spoke to me, saying, "I have seen this people, and behold, it is a stiff-necked people:
- let me alone, that I may destroy them, and blot out their name from under the sky; and I will make of you a nation mightier and greater than they."
- So I turned and came down from the mountain, and the mountain was burning with fire: and the two tables of the covenant were in my two hands.
- I looked, and behold, you had sinned against Yahweh your God; you had made yourselves a molten calf: you had turned aside quickly out of the way which Yahweh had commanded you.
- I took hold of the two tables, and cast them out of my two hands, and broke them before your eyes.
- I fell down before Yahweh, as at the first, forty days and forty nights; I did neither eat bread nor drink water; because of all your sin which you sinned, in doing that which was evil in the sight of Yahweh, to provoke him to anger.
- For I was afraid of the anger and hot displeasure, with which Yahweh was angry against you to destroy you. But Yahweh listened to me that time also.
- Yahweh was very angry with Aaron to destroy him: and I prayed for Aaron also at the same time.
- I took your sin, the calf which you had made, and burnt it with fire, and stamped it, grinding it very small, until it was as fine as dust: and I cast its dust into the brook that descended out of the mountain.
- At Taberah, and at Massah, and at Kibroth Hattaavah, you provoked Yahweh to wrath.
- When Yahweh sent you from Kadesh Barnea, saying, "Go up and possess the land which I have given you;" then you rebelled against the commandment of Yahweh your God, and you didn't believe him, nor listen to his voice.
- You have been rebellious against Yahweh from the day that I knew you.
- So I fell down before Yahweh the forty days and forty nights that I fell down, because Yahweh had said he would destroy you.
- I prayed to Yahweh, and said, "Lord Yahweh, don't destroy your people and your inheritance, that you have redeemed through your greatness, that you have brought forth out of Egypt with a mighty hand.
- Remember your servants, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; don't look to the stubbornness of this people, nor to their wickedness, nor to their sin,
- lest the land you brought us out from say, 'Because Yahweh was not able to bring them into the land which he promised to them, and because he hated them, he has brought them out to kill them in the wilderness.'
- Yet they are your people and your inheritance, which you brought out by your great power and by your outstretched arm."
|Deuteronomy 9 Text (Hebrew)
- שמע ישראל אתה עבר היום את־הירדן לבא לרשת גוים גדלים ועצמים ממך ערים גדלת ובצרת בשמים׃
- עם־גדול ורם בני ענקים אשר אתה ידעת ואתה שמעת מי יתיצב לפני בני ענק׃
- וידעת היום כי יהוה אלהיך הוא־העבר לפניך אש אכלה הוא ישמידם והוא יכניעם לפניך והורשתם והאבדתם מהר כאשר דבר יהוה לך׃
- אל־תאמר בלבבך בהדף יהוה אלהיך אתם מלפניך לאמר בצדקתי הביאני יהוה לרשת את־הארץ הזאת וברשעת הגוים האלה יהוה מורישם מפניך׃
- לא בצדקתך ובישר לבבך אתה בא לרשת את־ארצם כי ברשעת הגוים האלה יהוה אלהיך מורישם מפניך ולמען הקים את־הדבר אשר נשבע יהוה לאבתיך לאברהם ליצחק וליעקב׃
- וידעת כי לא בצדקתך יהוה אלהיך נתן לך את־הארץ הטובה הזאת לרשתה כי עם־קשה־ערף אתה׃
- זכר אל־תשכח את אשר־הקצפת את־יהוה אלהיך במדבר למן־היום אשר־יצאת מארץ מצרים עד־באכם עד־המקום הזה ממרים הייתם עם־יהוה׃
- ובחרב הקצפתם את־יהוה ויתאנף יהוה בכם להשמיד אתכם׃
- בעלתי ההרה לקחת לוחת האבנים לוחת הברית אשר־כרת יהוה עםכם ואשב בהר ארבעים יום וארבעים לילה לחם לא אכלתי ומים לא שתיתי׃
- ויתן יהוה אלי את־שני לוחת האבנים כתבים באצבע אלהים ועליהם ככל־הדברים אשר דבר יהוה עםכם בהר מתוך האש ביום הקהל׃
- ויהי מקץ ארבעים יום וארבעים לילה נתן יהוה אלי את־שני לחת האבנים לחות הברית׃
- ויאמר יהוה אלי קום רד מהר מזה כי שחת עמך אשר הוצאת ממצרים סרו מהר מן־הדרך אשר צויתם עשו להם מסכה׃
- ויאמר יהוה אלי לאמר ראיתי את־העם הזה והנה עם־קשה־ערף הוא׃
- הרף ממני ואשמידם ואמחה את־שםם מתחת השמים ואעשה אותך לגוי־עצום ורב ממנו׃
- ואפן וארד מן־ההר וההר בער באש ושני לחת הברית על שתי ידי׃
- וארא והנה חטאתם ליהוה אלהיכם עשיתם לכם עגל מסכה סרתם מהר מן־הדרך אשר־צוה יהוה אתכם׃
- ואתפש בשני הלחת ואשלכם מעל שתי ידי ואשברם לעיניכם׃
- ואתנפל לפני יהוה כראשנה ארבעים יום וארבעים לילה לחם לא אכלתי ומים לא שתיתי על כל־חטאתכם אשר חטאתם לעשות הרע בעיני יהוה להכעיסו׃
- כי יגרתי מפני האף והחמה אשר קצף יהוה עליכם להשמיד אתכם וישמע יהוה אלי גם בפעם ההוא׃
- ובאהרן התאנף יהוה מאד להשמידו ואתפלל גם־בעד אהרן בעת ההוא׃
- ואת־חטאתכם אשר־עשיתם את־העגל לקחתי ואשרף אתו באש ואכת אתו טחון היטב עד אשר־דק לעפר ואשלך את־עפרו אל־הנחל הירד מן־ההר׃
- ובתבערה ובמסה ובקברת התאוה מקצפים הייתם את־יהוה׃
- ובשלח יהוה אתכם מקדש ברנע לאמר עלו ורשו את־הארץ אשר נתתי לכם ותמרו את־פי יהוה אלהיכם ולא האמנתם לו ולא שמעתם בקלו׃
- ממרים הייתם עם־יהוה מיום דעתי אתכם׃
- ואתנפל לפני יהוה את ארבעים היום ואת־ארבעים הלילה אשר התנפלתי כי־אמר יהוה להשמיד אתכם׃
- ואתפלל אל־יהוה ואמר אדני יהוה אל־תשחת עמך ונחלתך אשר פדית בגדלך אשר־הוצאת ממצרים ביד חזקה׃
- זכר לעבדיך לאברהם ליצחק וליעקב אל־תפן אל־קשי העם הזה ואל־רשעו ואל־חטאתו׃
- פן־יאמרו הארץ אשר הוצאתנו משם מבלי יכלת יהוה להביאם אל־הארץ אשר־דבר להם ומשנאתו אותם הוציאם להמתם במדבר׃
- והם עמך ונחלתך אשר הוצאת בכחך הגדל ובזרעך הנטויה׃ ף
|Deuteronomy 9 Text (Latin)
- Audi, Israël : tu transgredieris hodie Jordanem, ut possideas nationes maximas et fortiores te, civitates ingentes, et ad cælum usque muratas,
- populum magnum atque sublimem, filios Enacim, quos ipse vidisti et audisti, quibus nullus potest ex adverso resistere.
- Scies ergo hodie quod Dominus Deus tuus ipse transibit ante te, ignis devorans atque consumens, qui conterat eos, et deleat atque disperdat ante faciem tuam velociter, sicut locutus est tibi :
- ne dicas in corde tuo, cum deleverit eos Dominus Deus tuus in conspectu tuo : Propter justitiam meam introduxit me Dominus ut terram hanc possiderem, cum propter impietates suas istæ deletæ sint nationes.
- Neque enim propter justitias tuas, et æquitatem cordis tui ingredieris, ut possideas terras earum : sed quia illæ egerunt impie, introëunte te deletæ sunt : et ut compleret verbum suum Dominus, quod sub juramento pollicitus est patribus tuis, Abraham, Isaac, et Jacob.
- Scito ergo quod non propter justitias tuas Dominus Deus tuus dederit tibi terram hanc optimam in possessionem, cum durissimæ cervicis sis populus.
- Memento, et ne obliviscaris, quomodo ad iracundiam provocaveris Dominum Deum tuum in solitudine. Ex eo die, quo egressus es ex Ægypto usque ad locum istum, semper adversum Dominum contendisti.
- Nam et in Horeb provocasti eum, et iratus delere te voluit,
- quando ascendi in montem, ut acciperem tabulas lapideas, tabulas pacti quod pepigit vobiscum Dominus : et perseveravi in monte quadraginta diebus ac noctibus, panem non comedens, et aquam non bibens.
- Deditque mihi Dominus duas tabulas lapideas scriptas digito Dei, et continentes omnia verba quæ vobis locutus est in monte de medio ignis, quando concio populi congregata est.
- Cumque transissent quadraginta dies, et totidem noctes, dedit mihi Dominus duas tabulas lapideas, tabulas fœderis,
- dixitque mihi : Surge, et descende hinc cito : quia populus tuus, quem eduxisti de Ægypto, deseruerunt velociter viam, quam demonstrasti eis, feceruntque sibi conflatile.
- Rursumque ait Dominus ad me : Cerno quod populus iste duræ cervicis sit :
- dimitte me ut conteram eum, et deleam nomen ejus de sub cælo, et constituam te super gentem, quæ hac major et fortior sit.
- Cumque de monte ardente descenderem, et duas tabulas fœderis utraque tenerem manu,
- vidissemque vos pecasse Domino Deo vestro, et fecisse vobis vitulum conflatilem, ac deseruisse velociter viam ejus, quam vobis ostenderat :
- projeci tabulas de manibus meis, confregique eas in conspectu vestro.
- Et procidi ante Dominum sicut prius, quadraginta diebus et noctibus panem non comedens, et aquam non bibens, propter omnia peccata vestra quæ gessistis contra Dominum, et eum ad iracundiam provocastis :
- timui enim indignationem et iram illius, qua adversum vos concitatus, delere vos voluit. Et exaudivit me Dominus etiam hac vice.
- Adversum Aaron quoque vehementer iratus, voluit eum conterere, et pro illo similiter deprecatus sum.
- Peccatum autem vestrum quod feceratis, id est, vitulum, arripiens, igne combussi, et in frusta comminuens, omninoque in pulverem redigens, projeci in torrentem, qui de monte descendit.
- In incendio quoque, et in tentatione, et in Sepulchris concupiscentiæ provocastis Dominum :
- et quando misit vos de Cadesbarne, dicens : Ascendite, et possidete terram, quam dedi vobis, et contempsistis imperium Domini Dei vestri, et non credidistis ei, neque vocem ejus audire voluistis :
- sed semper fuistis rebelles a die qua nosse vos cœpi.
- Et jacui coram Domino quadraginta diebus ac noctibus, quibus eum suppliciter deprecabar, ne deleret vos ut fuerat comminatus :
- et orans dixi : Domine Deus, ne disperdas populum tuum, et hæreditatem tuam, quam redemisti in magnitudine tua, quos eduxisti de Ægypto in manu forti.
- Recordare servorum tuorum Abraham, Isaac, et Jacob : ne aspicias duritiam populi hujus, et impietatem atque peccatum :
- ne forte dicant habitatores terræ, de qua eduxisti nos : Non poterat Dominus introducere eos in terram, quam pollicitus est eis, et oderat illos : idcirco eduxit, ut interficeret eos in solitudine :
- qui sunt populus tuus et hæreditas tua, quos eduxisti in fortitudine tua magna, et in brachio tuo extento.
|Deuteronomy 9 Text (KJV)
- Hear, O Israel: Thou art to pass over Jordan this day, to go in to possess nations greater and mightier than thyself, cities great and fenced up to heaven,
- A people great and tall, the children of the Anakims, whom thou knowest, and of whom thou hast heard say, Who can stand before the children of Anak!
- Understand therefore this day, that the LORD thy God is he which goeth over before thee; as a consuming fire he shall destroy them, and he shall bring them down before thy face: so shalt thou drive them out, and destroy them quickly, as the LORD hath said unto thee.
- Speak not thou in thine heart, after that the LORD thy God hath cast them out from before thee, saying, For my righteousness the LORD hath brought me in to possess this land: but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD doth drive them out from before thee.
- Not for thy righteousness, or for the uprightness of thine heart, dost thou go to possess their land: but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee, and that he may perform the word which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
- Understand therefore, that the LORD thy God giveth thee not this good land to possess it for thy righteousness; for thou art a stiffnecked people.
- Remember, and forget not, how thou provokedst the LORD thy God to wrath in the wilderness: from the day that thou didst depart out of the land of Egypt, until ye came unto this place, ye have been rebellious against the LORD.
- Also in Horeb ye provoked the LORD to wrath, so that the LORD was angry with you to have destroyed you.
- When I was gone up into the mount to receive the tables of stone, even the tables of the covenant which the LORD made with you, then I abode in the mount forty days and forty nights, I neither did eat bread nor drink water:
- And the LORD delivered unto me two tables of stone written with the finger of God; and on them was written according to all the words, which the LORD spake with you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly.
- And it came to pass at the end of forty days and forty nights, that the LORD gave me the two tables of stone, even the tables of the covenant.
- And the LORD said unto me, Arise, get thee down quickly from hence; for thy people which thou hast brought forth out of Egypt have corrupted themselves; they are quickly turned aside out of the way which I commanded them; they have made them a molten image.
- Furthermore the LORD spake unto me, saying, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people:
- Let me alone, that I may destroy them, and blot out their name from under heaven: and I will make of thee a nation mightier and greater than they.
- So I turned and came down from the mount, and the mount burned with fire: and the two tables of the covenant were in my two hands.
- And I looked, and, behold, ye had sinned against the LORD your God, and had made you a molten calf: ye had turned aside quickly out of the way which the LORD had commanded you.
- And I took the two tables, and cast them out of my two hands, and brake them before your eyes.
- And I fell down before the LORD, as at the first, forty days and forty nights: I did neither eat bread, nor drink water, because of all your sins which ye sinned, in doing wickedly in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.
- For I was afraid of the anger and hot displeasure, wherewith the LORD was wroth against you to destroy you. But the LORD hearkened unto me at that time also.
- And the LORD was very angry with Aaron to have destroyed him: and I prayed for Aaron also the same time.
- And I took your sin, the calf which ye had made, and burnt it with fire, and stamped it, and ground it very small, even until it was as small as dust: and I cast the dust thereof into the brook that descended out of the mount.
- And at Taberah, and at Massah, and at Kibroth-hattaavah, ye provoked the LORD to wrath.
- Likewise when the LORD sent you from Kadesh-barnea, saying, Go up and possess the land which I have given you; then ye rebelled against the commandment of the LORD your God, and ye believed him not, nor hearkened to his voice.
- Ye have been rebellious against the LORD from the day that I knew you.
- Thus I fell down before the LORD forty days and forty nights, as I fell down at the first; because the LORD had said he would destroy you.
- I prayed therefore unto the LORD, and said, O Lord GOD, destroy not thy people and thine inheritance, which thou hast redeemed through thy greatness, which thou hast brought forth out of Egypt with a mighty hand.
- Remember thy servants, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; look not unto the stubbornness of this people, nor to their wickedness, nor to their sin:
- Lest the land whence thou broughtest us out say, Because the LORD was not able to bring them into the land which he promised them, and because he hated them, he hath brought them out to slay them in the wilderness.
- Yet they are thy people and thine inheritance, which thou broughtest out by thy mighty power and by thy stretched out arm.