|Daniel 8 - Versions
|Daniel 8 Text (WEB)
- In the third year of the reign of king Belshazzar a vision appeared to me, even to me, Daniel, after that which appeared to me at the first.
- I saw in the vision; now it was so, that when I saw, I was in the citadel of Susa, which is in the province of Elam; and I saw in the vision, and I was by the river Ulai.
- Then I lifted up my eyes, and saw, and behold, there stood before the river a ram which had two horns: and the two horns were high; but one was higher than the other, and the higher came up last.
- I saw the ram pushing westward, and northward, and southward; and no animals could stand before him, neither was there any who could deliver out of his hand; but he did according to his will, and magnified himself.
- As I was considering, behold, a male goat came from the west over the surface of the whole earth, and didn't touch the ground: and the goat had a notable horn between his eyes.
- He came to the ram that had the two horns, which I saw standing before the river, and ran on him in the fury of his power.
- I saw him come close to the ram, and he was moved with anger against him, and struck the ram, and broke his two horns; and there was no power in the ram to stand before him; but he cast him down to the ground, and trampled on him; and there was none who could deliver the ram out of his hand.
- The male goat magnified himself exceedingly: and when he was strong, the great horn was broken; and instead of it there came up four notable [horns] toward the four winds of the sky.
- Out of one of them came forth a little horn, which grew exceeding great, toward the south, and toward the east, and toward the glorious [land].
- It grew great, even to the army of the sky; and some of the army and of the stars it cast down to the ground, and trampled on them.
- Yes, it magnified itself, even to the prince of the army; and it took away from him the continual [burnt offering], and the place of his sanctuary was cast down.
- The army was given over [to it] together with the continual [burnt offering] through disobedience; and it cast down truth to the ground, and it did [its pleasure] and prospered.
- Then I heard a holy one speaking; and another holy one said to that certain one who spoke, How long shall be the vision [concerning] the continual [burnt offering], and the disobedience that makes desolate, to give both the sanctuary and the army to be trodden under foot?
- He said to me, To two thousand and three hundred evenings [and] mornings; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.
- It happened, when I, even I Daniel, had seen the vision, that I sought to understand it; and behold, there stood before me as the appearance of a man.
- I heard a man's voice between [the banks of] the Ulai, which called, and said, Gabriel, make this man to understand the vision.
- So he came near where I stood; and when he came, I was frightened, and fell on my face: but he said to me, Understand, son of man; for the vision belongs to the time of the end.
- Now as he was speaking with me, I fell into a deep sleep with my face toward the ground; but he touched me, and set me upright.
- He said, Behold, I will make you know what shall be in the latter time of the indignation; for it belongs to the appointed time of the end.
- The ram which you saw, that had the two horns, they are the kings of Media and Persia.
- The rough male goat is the king of Greece: and the great horn that is between his eyes is the first king.
- As for that which was broken, in the place where four stood up, four kingdoms shall stand up out of the nation, but not with his power.
- In the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full, a king of fierce face, and understanding dark sentences, shall stand up.
- His power shall be mighty, but not by his own power; and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper and do [his pleasure]; and he shall destroy the mighty ones and the holy people.
- Through his policy he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and in [their] security shall he destroy many: he shall also stand up against the prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.
- The vision of the evenings and mornings which has been told is true: but seal up the vision; for it belongs to many days [to come].
- I, Daniel, fainted, and was sick certain days; then I rose up, and did the king's business: and I wondered at the vision, but none understood it.
|Daniel 8 Text (Hebrew)
- בשנת שלוש למלכות בלאשצר המלך חזון נראה אלי אני דניאל אחרי הנראה אלי בתחלה׃
- ואראה בחזון ויהי בראתי ואני בשושן הבירה אשר בעילם המדינה ואראה בחזון ואני הייתי על־אובל אולי׃
- ואשא עיני ואראה והנה איל אחד עמד לפני האבל ולו קרנים והקרנים גבהות והאחת גבהה מן־השנית והגבהה עלה באחרנה׃
- ראיתי את־האיל מנגח ימה וצפונה ונגבה וכל־חיות לא־יעמדו לפניו ואין מציל מידו ועשה כרצנו והגדיל׃
- ואני הייתי מבין והנה צפיר־העזים בא מן־המערב על־פני כל־הארץ ואין נוגע בארץ והצפיר קרן חזות בין עיניו׃
- ויבא עד־האיל בעל הקרנים אשר ראיתי עמד לפני האבל וירץ אליו בחמת כחו׃
- וראיתיו מגיע אצל האיל ויתמרמר אליו ויך את־האיל וישבר את־שתי קרניו ולא־היה כח באיל לעמד לפניו וישליכהו ארצה וירמסהו ולא־היה מציל לאיל מידו׃
- וצפיר העזים הגדיל עד־מאד וכעצמו נשברה הקרן הגדולה ותעלנה חזות ארבע תחתיה לארבע רוחות השמים׃
- ומן־האחת מהם יצא קרן־אחת מצעירה ותגדל־יתר אל־הנגב ואל־המזרח ואל־הצבי׃
- ותגדל עד־צבא השמים ותפל ארצה מן־הצבא ומן־הכוכבים ותרמסם׃
- ועד שר־הצבא הגדיל וממנו התמיד והשלך מכון מקדשו׃
- וצבא תנתן על־התמיד בפשע ותשלך אמת ארצה ועשתה והצליחה׃
- ואשמעה אחד־קדוש מדבר ויאמר אחד קדוש לפלמוני המדבר עד־מתי החזון התמיד והפשע שםם תת וקדש וצבא מרמס׃
- ויאמר אלי עד ערב בקר אלפים ושלש מאות ונצדק קדש׃
- ויהי בראתי אני דניאל את־החזון ואבקשה בינה והנה עמד לנגדי כמראה־גבר׃
- ואשמע קול־אדם בין אולי ויקרא ויאמר גבריאל הבן להלז את־המראה׃
- ויבא אצל עמדי ובבאו נבעתי ואפלה על־פני ויאמר אלי הבן בן־אדם כי לעת־קץ החזון׃
- ובדברו עמי נרדמתי על־פני ארצה ויגע־בי ויעמידני על־עמדי׃
- ויאמר הנני מודיעך את אשר־יהיה באחרית הזעם כי למועד קץ׃
- האיל אשר־ראית בעל הקרנים מלכי מדי ופרס׃
- והצפיר השעיר מלך יון והקרן הגדולה אשר בין־עיניו הוא המלך הראשון׃
- והנשברת ותעמדנה ארבע תחתיה ארבע מלכיות מגוי יעמדנה ולא בכחו׃
- ובאחרית מלכותם כהתם הפשעים יעמד מלך עז־פנים ומבין חידות׃
- ועצם כחו ולא בכחו ונפלאות ישחית והצליח ועשה והשחית עצומים ועם־קדשים׃
- ועל־שכלו והצליח מרמה בידו ובלבבו יגדיל ובשלוה ישחית רבים ועל־שר־שרים יעמד ובאפס יד ישבר׃
- ומראה הערב והבקר אשר נאמר אמת הוא ואתה סתם החזון כי לימים רבים׃
- ואני דניאל נהייתי ונחליתי ימים ואקום ואעשה את־מלאכת המלך ואשתוםם על־המראה ואין מבין׃ ף
|Daniel 8 Text (Latin)
- Anno tertio regni Baltassar regis, visio apparuit mihi. Ego Daniel, post id quod videram in principio,
- vidi in visione mea, cum essem in Susis castro, quod est in Ælam regione : vidi autem in visione esse me super portam Ulai.
- Et levavi oculus meos, et vidi : et ecce aries unus stabat ante paludem, habens cornua excelsa, et unum excelsius altero atque succrescens. Postea
- vidi arietem cornibus ventilantem contra occidentem, et contra aquilonem, et contra meridiem, et omnes bestiæ non poterant resistere ei, neque liberari de manu ejus : fecitque secundum voluntatem suam, et magnificatus est.
- Et ego intelligebam : ecce autem hircus caprarum veniebat ab occidente super faciem totius terræ, et non tangebat terram : porro hircus habebat cornu insigne inter oculos suos.
- Et venit usque ad arietem illum cornutum, quem videram stantem ante portam, et cucurrit ad eum in impetu fortitudinis suæ.
- Cumque appropinquasset prope arietem, efferatus est in eum, et percussit arietem : et comminuit duo cornua ejus, et non poterat aries resistere ei : cumque eum misisset in terram, conculcavit, et nemo quibat liberare arietem de manu ejus.
- Hircus autem caprarum magnus factus est nimis : cumque crevisset, fractum est cornu magnum, et orta sunt quatuor cornua subter illud per quatuor ventos cæli.
- De uno autem ex eis egressum est cornu unum modicum : et factum est grande contra meridiem, et contra orientem, et contra fortitudinem.
- Et magnificatum est usque ad fortitudinem cæli : et dejecit de fortitudine, et de stellis, et conculcavit eas.
- Et usque ad principem fortitudinis magnificatum est : et ab eo tulit juge sacrificium, et dejecit locum sanctificationis ejus.
- Robur autem datum est ei contra juge sacrificium propter peccata : et prosternetur veritas in terra, et faciet, et prosperabitur.
- Et audivi unum de sanctis loquentem : et dixit unus sanctus alteri nescio cui loquenti : Usquequo visio, et juge sacrificium, et peccatum desolationis quæ facta est : et sanctuarium, et fortitudo conculcabitur ?
- Et dixit ei : Usque ad vesperam et mane, dies duo millia trecenti : et mundabitur sanctuarium.
- Factum est autem cum viderem ego Daniel visionem, et quærerem intelligentiam : ecce stetit in conspectu meo quasi species viri.
- Et audivi vocem viri inter Ulai : et clamavit, et ait : Gabriel, fac intelligere istam visionem.
- Et venit, et stetit juxta ubi ego stabam : cumque venisset, pavens corrui in faciem meam : et ait ad me : Intellige, fili hominis, quoniam in tempore finis complebitur visio.
- Cumque loqueretur ad me, collapsus sum pronus in terram : et tetigit me, et statuit me in gradu meo,
- dixitque mihi : Ego ostendam tibi quæ futura sunt in novissimo maledictionis : quoniam habet tempus finem suum.
- Aries, quem vidisti habere cornua, rex Medorum est atque Persarum.
- Porro hircus caprarum, rex Græcorum est ; et cornu grande, quod erat inter oculos ejus, ipse est rex primus.
- Quod autem fracto illo surrexerunt quatuor pro eo : quatuor reges de gente ejus consurgent, sed non in fortitudine ejus.
- Et post regnum eorum, cum creverint iniquitates, consurget rex impudens facie, et intelligens propositiones ;
- et roborabitur fortitudo ejus, sed non in viribus suis : et supra quam credi potest, universa vastabit, et prosperabitur, et faciet. Et interficiet robustos, et populum sanctorum
- secundum voluntatem suam, et dirigetur dolus in manu ejus : et cor suum magnificabit, et in copia rerum omnium occidet plurimos : et contra principem principum consurget, et sine manu conteretur.
- Et visio vespere et mane, quæ dicta est, vera est : tu ergo visionem signa, quia post multos dies erit.
- Et ego Daniel langui, et ægrotavi per dies : cumque surrexissem, faciebam opera regis, et stupebam ad visionem, et non erat qui interpretaretur.
|Daniel 8 Text (KJV)
- In the third year of the reign of king Belshazzar a vision appeared unto me, even unto me Daniel, after that which appeared unto me at the first.
- And I saw in a vision; and it came to pass, when I saw, that I was at Shushan in the palace, which is in the province of Elam; and I saw in a vision, and I was by the river of Ulai.
- Then I lifted up mine eyes, and saw, and, behold, there stood before the river a ram which had two horns: and the two horns were high; but one was higher than the other, and the higher came up last.
- I saw the ram pushing westward, and northward, and southward; so that no beasts might stand before him, neither was there any that could deliver out of his hand; but he did according to his will, and became great.
- And as I was considering, behold, an he goat came from the west on the face of the whole earth, and touched not the ground: and the goat had a notable horn between his eyes.
- And he came to the ram that had two horns, which I had there seen standing before the river, and ran unto him in the fury of his power.
- And I saw him come close unto the ram, and he was moved with choler against him, and smote the ram, and brake his two horns: and there was no power in the ram to stand before him, but he cast him down to the ground, and stamped upon him: and there was none that could deliver the ram out of his hand.
- Therefore the he goat waxed very great: and when he was strong, the great horn was broken; and for it came up four notable ones toward the four winds of heaven.
- And out of one of them came forth a little horn, which waxed exceeding great, toward the south, and toward the east, and toward the pleasant land.
- And it waxed great, even to the host of heaven; and it cast down some of the host and of the stars to the ground, and stamped upon them.
- Yea, he magnified himself even to the prince of the host, and by him the daily sacrifice was taken away, and the place of his sanctuary was cast down.
- And an host was given him against the daily sacrifice by reason of transgression, and it cast down the truth to the ground; and it practised, and prospered.
- Then I heard one saint speaking, and another saint said unto that certain saint which spake, How long shall be the vision concerning the daily sacrifice, and the transgression of desolation, to give both the sanctuary and the host to be trodden under foot?
- And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.
- And it came to pass, when I, even I Daniel, had seen the vision, and sought for the meaning, then, behold, there stood before me as the appearance of a man.
- And I heard a man's voice between the banks of Ulai, which called, and said, Gabriel, make this man to understand the vision.
- So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision.
- Now as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep on my face toward the ground: but he touched me, and set me upright.
- And he said, Behold, I will make thee know what shall be in the last end of the indignation: for at the time appointed the end shall be.
- The ram which thou sawest having two horns are the kings of Media and Persia.
- And the rough goat is the king of Grecia: and the great horn that is between his eyes is the first king.
- Now that being broken, whereas four stood up for it, four kingdoms shall stand up out of the nation, but not in his power.
- And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full, a king of fierce countenance, and understanding dark sentences, shall stand up.
- And his power shall be mighty, but not by his own power: and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper, and practise, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people.
- And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.
- And the vision of the evening and the morning which was told is true: wherefore shut thou up the vision; for it shall be for many days.
- And I Daniel fainted, and was sick certain days; afterward I rose up, and did the king's business; and I was astonished at the vision, but none understood it.