| Ruth 2 - Versions
| Ruth 2 Text (WEB)
- Naomi had a kinsman of her husband's, a mighty man of wealth, of the family of Elimelech, and his name was Boaz.
- Ruth the Moabitess said to Naomi, "Let me now go to the field, and glean among the ears of grain after him in whose sight I shall find favor." She said to her, "Go, my daughter."
- She went, and came and gleaned in the field after the reapers: and she happened to come to the portion of the field belonging to Boaz, who was of the family of Elimelech.
- Behold, Boaz came from Bethlehem, and said to the reapers, "Yahweh be with you." They answered him, "Yahweh bless you."
- Then Boaz said to his servant who was set over the reapers, "Whose young lady is this?"
- The servant who was set over the reapers answered, "It is the Moabite lady who came back with Naomi out of the country of Moab.
- She said, 'Please let me glean and gather after the reapers among the sheaves.' So she came, and has continued even from the morning until now, except that she stayed a little in the house."
- Then Boaz said to Ruth, "Listen, my daughter. Don't go to glean in another field, and don't go from here, but stay here close to my maidens.
- Let your eyes be on the field that they reap, and go after them. Haven't I commanded the young men not to touch you? When you are thirsty, go to the vessels, and drink from that which the young men have drawn."
- Then she fell on her face, and bowed herself to the ground, and said to him, "Why have I found favor in your sight, that you should take knowledge of me, since I am a foreigner?"
- Boaz answered her, "It has fully been shown me, all that you have done to your mother-in-law since the death of your husband; and how you have left your father and your mother, and the land of your birth, and have come to a people that you didn't know before.
- May Yahweh repay your work, and a full reward be given you from Yahweh, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge."
- Then she said, "Let me find favor in your sight, my lord, because you have comforted me, and because you have spoken kindly to your handmaid, though I am not as one of your handmaidens."
- At meal time Boaz said to her, "Come here, and eat of the bread, and dip your morsel in the vinegar." She sat beside the reapers, and they reached her parched grain, and she ate, and was satisfied, and left some of it.
- When she had risen up to glean, Boaz commanded his young men, saying, "Let her glean even among the sheaves, and don't reproach her.
- Also pull out some for her from the bundles, and leave it, and let her glean, and don't rebuke her."
- So she gleaned in the field until evening; and she beat out that which she had gleaned, and it was about an ephah of barley.
- She took it up, and went into the city; and her mother-in-law saw what she had gleaned: and she brought forth and gave to her that which she had left after she was sufficed.
- Her mother-in-law said to her, "Where have you gleaned today? Where have you worked? Blessed be he who noticed you." She showed her mother-in-law with whom she had worked, and said, "The man's name with whom I worked today is Boaz."
- Naomi said to her daughter-in-law, "Blessed be he of Yahweh, who has not left off his kindness to the living and to the dead." Naomi said to her, "The man is a close relative to us, one of our near kinsmen."
- Ruth the Moabitess said, "Yes, he said to me, 'You shall stay close to my young men, until they have ended all my harvest.'"
- Naomi said to Ruth her daughter-in-law, "It is good, my daughter, that you go out with his maidens, and that they not meet you in any other field."
- So she stayed close to the maidens of Boaz, to glean to the end of barley harvest and of wheat harvest; and she lived with her mother-in-law.
| Ruth 2 Text (Hebrew)
- ולנעמי לאישה איש גבור חיל ממשפחת אלימלך ושמו בעז׃
- ותאמר רות המואביה אל־נעמי אלכה־נא השדה ואלקטה בשבלים אחר אשר אמצא־חן בעיניו ותאמר לה לכי בתי׃
- ותלך ותבוא ותלקט בשדה אחרי הקצרים ויקר מקרה חלקת השדה לבעז אשר ממשפחת אלימלך׃
- והנה־בעז בא מבית לחם ויאמר לקוצרים יהוה עםכם ויאמרו לו יברךך יהוה׃
- ויאמר בעז לנערו הנצב על־הקוצרים למי הנערה הזאת׃
- ויען הנער הנצב על־הקוצרים ויאמר נערה מואביה היא השבה עם־נעמי משדה מואב׃
- ותאמר אלקטה־נא ואספתי בעמרים אחרי הקוצרים ותבוא ותעמוד מאז הבקר ועד־עתה זה שבתה הבית מעט׃
- ויאמר בעז אל־רות הלוא שמעת בתי אל־תלכי ללקט בשדה אחר וגם לא תעבורי מזה וכה תדבקין עם־נערתי׃
- עיניך בשדה אשר־יקצרון והלכת אחריהן הלוא צויתי את־הנערים לבלתי נגעך וצמת והלכת אל־הכלים ושתית מאשר ישאבון הנערים׃
- ותפל על־פניה ותשתחו ארצה ותאמר אליו מדוע מצאתי חן בעיניך להכירני ואנכי נכריה׃
- ויען בעז ויאמר לה הגד הגד לי כל אשר־עשית את־חמותך אחרי מות אישך ותעזבי אביך ואמך וארץ מולדתך ותלכי אל־עם אשר לא־ידעת תמול שלשום׃
- ישלם יהוה פעלך ותהי משכרתך שלמה מעם יהוה אלהי ישראל אשר־באת לחסות תחת־כנפיו׃
- ותאמר אמצא־חן בעיניך אדני כי נחמתני וכי דברת על־לב שפחתך ואנכי לא אהיה כאחת שפחתיך׃
- ויאמר לה בעז לעת האכל גשי הלם ואכלת מן־הלחם וטבלת פתך בחמץ ותשב מצד הקוצרים ויצבט־לה קלי ותאכל ותשבע ותתר׃
- ותקם ללקט ויצו בעז את־נעריו לאמר גם בין העמרים תלקט ולא תכלימוה׃
- וגם של־תשלו לה מן־הצבתים ועזבתם ולקטה ולא תגערו־בה׃
- ותלקט בשדה עד־הערב ותחבט את אשר־לקטה ויהי כאיפה שערים׃
- ותשא ותבוא העיר ותרא חמותה את אשר־לקטה ותוצא ותתן־לה את אשר־הותרה משבעה׃
- ותאמר לה חמותה איפה לקטת היום ואנה עשית יהי מכירך ברוך ותגד לחמותה את אשר־עשתה עמו ותאמר שם האיש אשר עשיתי עמו היום בעז׃
- ותאמר נעמי לכלתה ברוך הוא ליהוה אשר לא־עזב חסדו את־החיים ואת־המתים ותאמר לה נעמי קרוב לנו האיש מגאלנו הוא׃
- ותאמר רות המואביה גם כי־אמר אלי עם־הנערים אשר־לי תדבקין עד אם־כלו את כל־הקציר אשר־לי׃
- ותאמר נעמי אל־רות כלתה טוב בתי כי תצאי עם־נערותיו ולא יפגעו־בך בשדה אחר׃
- ותדבק בנערות בעז ללקט עד־כלות קציר־השערים וקציר החטים ותשב את־חמותה׃
| Ruth 2 Text (Latin)
- Erat autem viro Elimelech consanguineus, homo potens, et magnarum opum, nomine Booz.
- Dixitque Ruth Moabitis ad socrum suam : Si jubes, vadam in agrum, et colligam spicas quæ fugerint manus metentium, ubicumque clementis in me patrisfamilias reperero gratiam. Cui illa respondit : Vade, filia mea.
- Abiit itaque et colligebat spicas post terga metentium. Accidit autem ut ager ille haberet dominum nomine Booz, qui erat de cognatione Elimelech.
- Et ecce, ipse veniebat de Bethlehem, dixitque messoribus : Dominus vobiscum. Qui responderunt ei : Benedicat tibi Dominus.
- Dixitque Booz juveni, qui messoribus præerat : Cujus est hæc puella ?
- Cui respondit : Hæc est Moabitis, quæ venit cum Noëmi, de regione Moabitide,
- et rogavit ut spicas colligeret remanentes, sequens messorum vestigia : et de mane usque nunc stat in agro, et ne ad momentum quidem domum reversa est.
- Et ait Booz ad Ruth : Audi, filia, ne vadas in alterum agrum ad colligendum, nec recedas ab hoc loco : sed jungere puellis meis,
- et ubi messuerint, sequere. Mandavi enim pueris meis, ut nemo molestus sit tibi : sed etiam si sitieris, vade ad sarcinulas, et bibe aquas, de quibus et pueri bibunt.
- Quæ cadens in faciem suam et adorans super terram, dixit ad eum : Unde mihi hoc, ut invenirem gratiam ante oculos tuos, et nosse me dignareris peregrinam mulierem ?
- Cui ille respondit : Nuntiata sunt mihi omnia, quæ feceris socrui tuæ post mortem viri tui : et quod reliqueris parentes tuos, et terram in qua nata es, et veneris ad populum, quem antea nesciebas.
- Reddat tibi Dominus pro opere tuo, et plenam mercedem recipias a Domino Deo Israël, ad quem venisti, et sub cujus confugisti alas.
- Quæ ait : Inveni gratiam apud oculos tuos, domine mi, qui consolatus es me, et locutus es ad cor ancillæ tuæ, quæ non sum similis unius puellarum tuarum.
- Dixitque ad eam Booz : Quando hora vescendi fuerit, veni huc, et comede panem, et intinge buccellam tuam in aceto. Sedit itaque ad messorum latus, et congessit polentam sibi, comeditque et saturata est, et tulit reliquias.
- Atque inde surrexit, ut spicas ex more colligeret. Præcepit autem Booz pueris suis, dicens : Etiamsi vobiscum metere voluerit, ne prohibeatis eam :
- et de vestris quoque manipulis projicite de industria, et remanere permittite, ut absque rubore colligat, et colligentem nemo corripiat.
- Collegit ergo in agro usque ad vesperam : et quæ collegerat virga cædens et excutiens, invenit hordei quasi ephi mensuram, id est, tres modios.
- Quos portans reversa est in civitatem, et ostendit socrui suæ : insuper protulit, et dedit ei de reliquias cibi sui, quo saturata fuerat.
- Dixitque ei socrus sua : Ubi hodie collegisti, et ubi fecisti opus ? sit benedictus qui misertus est tui. Indicavitque ei apud quem fuisset operata : et nomen dixit viri, quod Booz vocaretur.
- Cui respondit Noëmi : Benedictus sit a Domino : quoniam eamdem gratiam, quam præbuerat vivis, servavit et mortuis. Rursumque ait : Propinquus noster est homo.
- Et ait Ruth : Hoc quoque, inquit, præcepit mihi, ut tamdiu messoribus ejus jungerer, donec omnes segetes meterentur.
- Cui dixit socrus : Melius est, filia mea, ut cum puellis ejus exeas ad metendum, ne in alieno agro quispiam resistat tibi.
- Juncta est itaque puellis Booz : et tamdiu cum eis messuit, donec hordea et triticum in horreis conderentur.
| Ruth 2 Text (KJV)
- And Naomi had a kinsman of her husband's, a mighty man of wealth, of the family of Elimelech; and his name was Boaz.
- And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and glean ears of corn after him in whose sight I shall find grace. And she said unto her, Go, my daughter.
- And she went, and came, and gleaned in the field after the reapers: and her hap was to light on a part of the field belonging unto Boaz, who was of the kindred of Elimelech.
- And behold, Boaz came from Bethlehem, and said unto the reapers, The LORD be with you. And they answered him, The LORD bless thee.
- Then said Boaz unto his servant that was set over the reapers, Whose damsel is this?
- And the servant that was set over the reapers answered and said, It is the Moabitish damsel that came back with Naomi out of the country of Moab:
- And she said, I pray you, let me glean and gather after the reapers among the sheaves: so she came, and hath continued even from the morning until now, that she tarried a little in the house.
- Then said Boaz unto Ruth, Hearest thou not, my daughter? Go not to glean in another field, neither go from hence, but abide here fast by my maidens:
- Let thine eyes be on the field that they do reap, and go thou after them: have I not charged the young men that they shall not touch thee? and when thou art athirst, go unto the vessels, and drink of that which the young men have drawn.
- Then she fell on her face, and bowed herself to the ground, and said unto him, Why have I found grace in thine eyes, that thou shouldest take knowledge of me, seeing I am a stranger?
- And Boaz answered and said unto her, It hath fully been shewed me, all that thou hast done unto thy mother in law since the death of thine husband: and how thou hast left thy father and thy mother, and the land of thy nativity, and art come unto a people which thou knewest not heretofore.
- The LORD recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the LORD God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust.
- Then she said, Let me find favour in thy sight, my lord; for that thou hast comforted me, and for that thou hast spoken friendly unto thine handmaid, though I be not like unto one of thine handmaidens.
- And Boaz said unto her, At mealtime come thou hither, and eat of the bread, and dip thy morsel in the vinegar. And she sat beside the reapers: and he reached her parched corn, and she did eat, and was sufficed, and left.
- And when she was risen up to glean, Boaz commanded his young men, saying, Let her glean even among the sheaves, and reproach her not:
- And let fall also some of the handfuls of purpose for her, and leave them, that she may glean them, and rebuke her not.
- So she gleaned in the field until even, and beat out that she had gleaned: and it was about an ephah of barley.
- And she took it up, and went into the city: and her mother in law saw what she had gleaned: and she brought forth, and gave to her that she had reserved after she was sufficed.
- And her mother in law said unto her, Where hast thou gleaned to day? and where wroughtest thou? blessed be he that did take knowledge of thee. And she shewed her mother in law with whom she had wrought, and said, The man's name with whom I wrought to day is Boaz.
- And Naomi said unto her daughter in law, Blessed be he of the LORD, who hath not left off his kindness to the living and to the dead. And Naomi said unto her, The man is near of kin unto us, one of our next kinsmen.
- And Ruth the Moabitess said, He said unto me also, Thou shalt keep fast by my young men, until they have ended all my harvest.
- And Naomi said unto Ruth her daughter in law, It is good, my daughter, that thou go out with his maidens, that they meet thee not in any other field.
- So she kept fast by the maidens of Boaz to glean unto the end of barley harvest and of wheat harvest; and dwelt with her mother in law.