| Proverbs 9 - Versions
| Proverbs 9 Text (WEB)
- Wisdom has built her house. She has carved out her seven pillars.
- She has prepared her meat. She has mixed her wine. She has also set her table.
- She has sent out her maidens. She cries from the highest places of the city:
- "Whoever is simple, let him turn in here!" As for him who is void of understanding, she says to him,
- "Come, eat some of my bread, Drink some of the wine which I have mixed!
- Leave your simple ways, and live. Walk in the way of understanding."
- He who corrects a mocker invites insult. He who reproves a wicked man invites abuse.
- Don't reprove a scoffer, lest he hate you. Reprove a wise man, and he will love you.
- Instruct a wise man, and he will be still wiser. Teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning.
- The fear of Yahweh is the beginning of wisdom. The knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
- For by me your days will be multiplied. The years of your life will be increased.
- If you are wise, you are wise for yourself. If you mock, you alone will bear it.
- The foolish woman is loud, Undisciplined, and knows nothing.
- She sits at the door of her house, on a seat in the high places of the city,
- To call to those who pass by, who go straight on their ways,
- "Whoever is simple, let him turn in here." as for him who is void of understanding, she says to him,
- "Stolen water is sweet. Food eaten in secret is pleasant."
- But he doesn't know that the dead are there, that her guests are in the depths of Sheol.
| Proverbs 9 Text (Hebrew)
- חכמות בנתה ביתה חצבה עמודיה שבעה׃
- טבחה טבחה מסכה יינה אף ערכה שלחנה׃
- שלחה נערתיה תקרא על־גפי מרמי קרת׃
- מי־פתי יסר הנה חסר־לב אמרה לו׃
- לכו לחמו בלחמי ושתו ביין מסכתי׃
- עזבו פתאים וחיו ואשרו בדרך בינה׃
- יסר לץ לקח לו קלון ומוכיח לרשע מומו׃
- אל־תוכח לץ פן־ישנאך הוכח לחכם ויאהבך׃
- תן לחכם ויחכם־עוד הודע לצדיק ויוסף לקח׃ ף
- תחלת חכמה יראת יהוה ודעת קדשים בינה׃
- כי־בי ירבו ימיך ויוסיפו לך שנות חיים׃
- אם־חכמת חכמת לך ולצת לבדך תשא׃
- אשת כסילות המיה פתיות ובל־ידעה מה׃
- וישבה לפתח ביתה על־כסא מרמי קרת׃
- לקרא לעברי־דרך המישרים ארחותם׃
- מי־פתי יסר הנה וחסר־לב ואמרה לו׃
- מים־גנובים ימתקו ולחם סתרים ינעם׃
- ולא־ידע כי־רפאים שם בעמקי שאול קראיה׃ ף
| Proverbs 9 Text (Latin)
- Sapientia ædificavit sibi domum : excidit columnas septem.
- Immolavit victimas suas, miscuit vinum, et proposuit mensam suam.
- Misit ancillas suas ut vocarent ad arcem et ad mœnia civitatis.
- Si quis est parvulus, veniat ad me. Et insipientibus locuta est :
- Venite, comedite panem meum, et bibite vinum quod miscui vobis.
- Relinquite infantiam, et vivite, et ambulate per vias prudentiæ.
- Qui erudit derisorem, ipse injuriam sibi facit, et qui arguit impium, sibi maculam generat.
- Noli arguere derisorem, ne oderit te ; argue sapientem, et diliget te.
- Da sapienti occasionem, et addetur ei sapientia ; doce justum, et festinabit accipere.
- Principium sapientiæ timor Domini, et scientia sanctorum prudentia.
- Per me enim multiplicabuntur dies tui, et addentur tibi anni vitæ.
- Si sapiens fueris, tibimetipsi eris ; si autem illusor, solus portabis malum.
- Mulier stulta et clamosa, plenaque illecebris, et nihil omnino sciens,
- sedit in foribus domus suæ, super sellam in excelso urbis loco,
- ut vocaret transeuntes per viam, et pergentes itinere suo :
- qui est parvulus declinet ad me. Et vecordi locuta est :
- Aquæ furtivæ dulciores sunt, et panis absconditus suavior.
- Et ignoravit quod ibi sint gigantes, et in profundis inferni convivæ ejus.
| Proverbs 9 Text (KJV)
- Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
- She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table.
- She hath sent forth her maidens: she crieth upon the highest places of the city,
- Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him,
- Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled.
- Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.
- He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot.
- Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.
- Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
- The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
- For by me thy days shall be multiplied, and the years of thy life shall be increased.
- If thou be wise, thou shalt be wise for thyself: but if thou scornest, thou alone shalt bear it.
- A foolish woman is clamourous: she is simple, and knoweth nothing.
- For she sitteth at the door of her house, on a seat in the high places of the city,
- To call passengers who go right on their ways:
- Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: and as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him,
- Stolen waters are sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant.
- But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
This article is a stub. You can help WikiChristian by expanding it. For help please read the WikiChristian Tutorial and our writing guide.
Return to Christianity -> Bible -> Proverbs