| Proverbs 30 - Versions
| Proverbs 30 Text (WEB)
- The words of Agur the son of Jakeh, the oracle: the man says to Ithiel, to Ithiel and Ucal:
- "Surely I am the most ignorant man, and don't have a man's understanding.
- I have not learned wisdom, neither do I have the knowledge of the Holy One.
- Who has ascended up into heaven, and descended? Who has gathered the wind in his fists? Who has bound the waters in his garment? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and what is his son's name, if you know?
- "Every word of God is flawless. He is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
- Don't you add to his words, lest he reprove you, and you be found a liar.
- "Two things I have asked of you; don't deny me before I die:
- Remove far from me falsehood and lies. Give me neither poverty nor riches. Feed me with the food that is needful for me;
- lest I be full, deny you, and say, 'Who is Yahweh?' or lest I be poor, and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.
- "Don't slander a servant to his master, lest he curse you, and you be held guilty.
- There is a generation that curses their father, and doesn't bless their mother.
- There is a generation that is pure in their own eyes, yet are not washed from their filthiness.
- There is a generation, oh how lofty are their eyes! Their eyelids are lifted up.
- There is a generation whose teeth are like swords, and their jaws like knives, to devour the poor from the earth, and the needy from among men.
- "The leach has two daughters: 'Give, give.' "There are three things that are never satisfied; four that don't say, 'Enough:'
- Sheol, the barren womb; the earth that is not satisfied with water; and the fire that doesn't say, 'Enough.'
- "The eye that mocks at his father, and scorns obedience to his mother: the ravens of the valley shall pick it out, the young eagles shall eat it.
- "There are three things which are too amazing for me, four which I don't understand:
- The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent on a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maiden.
- "So is the way of an adulterous woman: she eats and wipes her mouth, and says, 'I have done nothing wrong.'
- "For three things the earth tremble, and under four, it can't bear up:
- For a servant when he is king; a fool when he is filled with food;
- for an unloved woman when she is married; and a handmaid who is heir to her mistress.
- "There are four things which are little on the earth, but they are exceedingly wise:
- the ants are not a strong people, yet they provide their food in the summer.
- The conies are but a feeble folk, yet make they their houses in the rocks.
- The locusts have no king, yet they advance in ranks.
- You can catch a lizard with your hands, yet it is in kings' palaces.
- "There are three things which are stately in their march, four which are stately in going:
- The lion, which is mightiest among animals, and doesn't turn away for any;
- the greyhound, the male goat also; and the king against whom there is no rising up.
- "If you have done foolishly in lifting up yourself, or if you have thought evil, put your hand over your mouth.
- For as the churning of milk brings forth butter, and the wringing of the nose brings forth blood; so the forcing of wrath brings forth strife."
| Proverbs 30 Text (Hebrew)
- דברי אגור בן־יקה המשא נאם הגבר לאיתיאל לאיתיאל ואכל׃
- כי בער אנכי מאיש ולא־בינת אדם לי׃
- ולא־למדתי חכמה ודעת קדשים אדע׃
- מי עלה־שמים וירד מי אסף־רוח בחפניו מי צרר־מים בשמלה מי הקים כל־אפסי־ארץ מה־שמו ומה־שם־בנו כי תדע׃
- כל־אמרת אלוה צרופה מגן הוא לחסים בו׃
- אל־תוסף על־דבריו פן־יוכיח בך ונכזבת׃ ף
- שתים שאלתי מאתך אל־תמנע ממני בטרם אמות׃
- שוא ודבר־כזב הרחק ממני ראש ועשר אל־תתן־לי הטריפני לחם חקי׃
- פן אשבע וכחשתי ואמרתי מי יהוה ופן־אורש וגנבתי ותפשתי שם אלהי׃ ף
- אל־תלשן עבד אל־ פן־יקללך ואשמת׃
- דור אביו יקלל ואת־אמו לא יברך׃
- דור טהור בעיניו ומצאתו לא רחץ׃
- דור מה־רמו עיניו ועפעפיו ינשאו׃
- דור חרבות שניו ומאכלות מתלעתיו לאכל עניים מארץ ואביונים מאדם׃ ף
- לעלוקה שתי בנות הב הב שלוש הנה לא תשבענה ארבע לא־אמרו הון׃
- שאול ועצר רחם ארץ לא־שבעה מים ואש לא־אמרה הון׃
- עין תלעג לאב ותבוז ליקהת־אם יקרוה ערבי־נחל ויאכלוה בני־נשר׃ ף
- שלשה המה נפלאו ממני לא ידעתים׃
- דרך הנשר בשמים דרך נחש עלי צור דרך־אניה בלב־ים ודרך גבר בעלמה׃
- כן דרך אשה מנאפת אכלה ומחתה פיה ואמרה לא־פעלתי און׃ ף
- תחת שלוש רגזה ארץ ותחת ארבע לא־תוכל שאת׃
- תחת־עבד כי ימלוך ונבל כי ישבע־לחם׃
- תחת שנואה כי תבעל ושפחה כי־תירש גברתה׃ ף
- ארבעה הם קטני־ארץ והמה חכמים מחכמים׃
- הנמלים עם לא־עז ויכינו בקיץ לחםם׃
- שפנים עם לא־עצום וישימו בסלע ביתם׃
- מלך אין לארבה ויצא חץץ כלו׃
- שממית בידים תתפש והיא בהיכלי מלך׃ ף
- שלשה המה מיטיבי צעד וארבעה מיטבי לכת׃
- ליש גבור בבהמה ולא־ישוב מפני־כל׃
- זרזיר מתנים או־תיש ומלך אלקום עמו׃
- אם־נבלת בהתנשא ואם־זמות יד לפה׃
- כי מיץ חלב יוציא חמאה ומיץ־אף יוציא דם ומיץ אפים יוציא ריב׃ ף
| Proverbs 30 Text (Latin)
- Verba Congregantis, filii Vomentis. Visio quam locutus est vir cum quo est Deus, et qui Deo secum morante confortatus, ait :
- Stultissimus sum virorum, et sapientia hominum non est mecum.
- Non didici sapientiam, et non novi scientiam sanctorum.
- Quis ascendit in cælum, atque descendit ? quis continuit spiritum in manibus suis ? quis colligavit aquas quasi in vestimento ? quis suscitavit omnes terminos terræ ? quod nomen est ejus, et quod nomen filii ejus, si nosti ?
- Omnis sermo Dei ignitus, clypeus est sperantibus in se.
- Ne addas quidquam verbis illius, et arguaris, inveniarisque mendax.
- Duo rogavi te : ne deneges mihi antequam moriar :
- vanitatem et verba mendacia longe fac a me ; mendicitatem et divitias ne dederis mihi, tribue tantum victui meo necessaria :
- ne forte satiatus illiciar ad negandum, et dicam : Quis est Dominus ? aut egestate compulsus, furer, et perjurem nomen Dei mei.
- Ne accuses servum ad dominum suum, ne forte maledicat tibi, et corruas.
- Generatio quæ patri suo maledicit, et quæ matri suæ non benedicit ;
- generatio quæ sibi munda videtur, et tamen non est lota a sordibus suis ;
- generatio cujus excelsi sunt oculi, et palpebræ ejus in alta surrectæ ;
- generatio quæ pro dentibus gladios habet, et commandit molaribus suis, ut comedat inopes de terra, et pauperes ex hominibus.
- Sanguisugæ duæ sunt filiæ, dicentes : Affer, affer. Tria sunt insaturabilia, et quartum quod numquam dicit : Sufficit.
- Infernus, et os vulvæ, et terra quæ non satiatur aqua : ignis vero numquam dicit : Sufficit.
- Oculum qui subsannat patrem, et qui despicit partum matris suæ, effodiant eum corvi de torrentibus, et comedant eum filii aquilæ !
- Tria sunt difficilia mihi, et quartum penitus ignoro :
- viam aquilæ in cælo, viam colubri super petram, viam navis in medio mari, et viam viri in adolescentia.
- Talis est et via mulieris adulteræ, quæ comedit, et tergens os suum dicit : Non sum operata malum.
- Per tria movetur terra, et quartum non potest sustinere :
- per servum, cum regnaverit ; per stultum, cum saturatus fuerit cibo ;
- per odiosam mulierem, cum in matrimonio fuerit assumpta, et per ancillam, cum fuerit hæres dominæ suæ.
- Quatuor sunt minima terræ, et ipsa sunt sapientiora sapientibus :
- formicæ, populus infirmus, qui præparat in messe cibum sibi ;
- lepusculus, plebs invalida, qui collocat in petra cubile suum ;
- regem locusta non habet, et egreditur universa per turmas suas ;
- stellio manibus nititur, et moratur in ædibus regis.
- Tria sunt quæ bene gradiuntur, et quartum quod incedit feliciter :
- leo, fortissimus bestiarum, ad nullius pavebit occursum ;
- gallus succinctus lumbos, et aries ; nec est rex, qui resistat ei.
- Est qui stultus apparuit postquam elevatus est in sublime ; si enim intellexisset, ori suo imposuisset manum.
- Qui autem fortiter premit ubera ad eliciendum lac exprimit butyrum ; et qui vehementer emungit elicit sanguinem ; et qui provocat iras producit discordias.
| Proverbs 30 Text (KJV)
- The words of Agur the son of Jakeh, even the prophecy: the man spake unto Ithiel, even unto Ithiel and Ucal,
- Surely I am more brutish than any man, and have not the understanding of a man.
- I neither learned wisdom, nor have the knowledge of the holy.
- Who hath ascended up into heaven, or descended? who hath gathered the wind in his fists? who hath bound the waters in a garment? who hath established all the ends of the earth? what is his name, and what is his son's name, if thou canst tell?
- Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
- Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.
- Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die:
- Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:
- Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.
- Accuse not a servant unto his master, lest he curse thee, and thou be found guilty.
- There is a generation that curseth their father, and doth not bless their mother.
- There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness.
- There is a generation, O how lofty are their eyes! and their eyelids are lifted up.
- There is a generation, whose teeth are as swords, and their jaw teeth as knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, and the needy from among men.
- The horseleach hath two daughters, crying, Give, give. There are three things that are never satisfied, yea, four things say not, It is enough:
- The grave; and the barren womb; the earth that is not filled with water; and the fire that saith not, It is enough.
- The eye that mocketh at his father, and despiseth to obey his mother, the ravens of the valley shall pick it out, and the young eagles shall eat it.
- There be three things which are too wonderful for me, yea, four which I know not:
- The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid.
- Such is the way of an adulterous woman; she eateth, and wipeth her mouth, and saith, I have done no wickedness.
- For three things the earth is disquieted, and for four which it cannot bear:
- For a servant when he reigneth; and a fool when he is filled with meat;
- For an odious woman when she is married; and an handmaid that is heir to her mistress.
- There be four things which are little upon the earth, but they are exceeding wise:
- The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer;
- The conies are but a feeble folk, yet make they their houses in the rocks;
- The locusts have no king, yet go they forth all of them by bands;
- The spider taketh hold with her hands, and is in kings' palaces.
- There be three things which go well, yea, four are comely in going:
- A lion which is strongest among beasts, and turneth not away for any;
- A greyhound; an he goat also; and a king, against whom there is no rising up.
- If thou hast done foolishly in lifting up thyself, or if thou hast thought evil, lay thine hand upon thy mouth.
- Surely the churning of milk bringeth forth butter, and the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood: so the forcing of wrath bringeth forth strife.