| Obadiah 1 - Versions
| Obadiah 1 Text (WEB)
- The vision of Obadiah. This is what the Lord Yahweh says about Edom. We have heard news from Yahweh, and an ambassador is sent among the nations, saying, "Arise, and let's rise up against her in battle.
- Behold, I have made you small among the nations. You are greatly despised.
- The pride of your heart has deceived you, you who dwell in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high, who says in his heart, 'Who will bring me down to the ground?'
- Though you mount on high as the eagle, and though your nest is set among the stars, I will bring you down from there," says Yahweh.
- "If thieves came to you, if robbers by night--oh, what disaster awaits you--wouldn't they only steal until they had enough? If grape pickers came to you, wouldn't they leave some gleaning grapes?
- How Esau will be ransacked! How his hidden treasures are sought out!
- All the men of your alliance have brought you on your way, even to the border. The men who were at peace with you have deceived you, and prevailed against you. Friends who eat your bread lay a snare under you. There is no understanding in him."
- "Won't I in that day," says Yahweh, "destroy the wise men out of Edom, and understanding out of the mountain of Esau?
- Your mighty men, Teman, will be dismayed, to the end that everyone may be cut off from the mountain of Esau by slaughter.
- For the violence done to your brother Jacob, shame will cover you, and you will be cut off forever.
- In the day that you stood on the other side, in the day that strangers carried away his substance, and foreigners entered into his gates, and cast lots for Jerusalem, even you were like one of them.
- But don't look down on your brother in the day of his disaster, and don't rejoice over the children of Judah in the day of their destruction. Don't speak proudly in the day of distress.
- Don't enter into the gate of my people in the day of their calamity. Don't look down on their affliction in the day of their calamity, neither seize their wealth on the day of their calamity.
- Don't stand in the crossroads to cut off those of his who escape. Don't deliver up those of his who remain in the day of distress.
- For the day of Yahweh is near all the nations! As you have done, it will be done to you. Your deeds will return upon your own head.
- For as you have drunk on my holy mountain, so will all the nations drink continually. Yes, they will drink, swallow down, and will be as though they had not been.
- But in Mount Zion, there will be those who escape, and it will be holy. The house of Jacob will possess their possessions.
- The house of Jacob will be a fire, the house of Joseph a flame, and the house of Esau for stubble. They will burn among them, and devour them. There will not be any remaining to the house of Esau." Indeed, Yahweh has spoken.
- Those of the South will possess the mountain of Esau, and those of the lowland, the Philistines. They will possess the field of Ephraim, and the field of Samaria. Benjamin will possess Gilead.
- The captives of this army of the children of Israel, who are among the Canaanites, will possess even to Zarephath; and the captives of Jerusalem, who are in Sepharad, will possess the cities of the Negev.
- Saviors will go up on Mount Zion to judge the mountains of Esau, and the kingdom will be Yahweh's.
| Obadiah 1 Text (Hebrew)
- חזון עבדיה כה־אמר אדני יהוה לאדום שמועה שמענו מאת יהוה וציר בגוים שלח קומו ונקומה עליה למלחמה׃
- הנה קטן נתתיך בגוים בזוי אתה מאד׃
- זדון לבך השיאך שכני בחגוי־סלע מרום שבתו אמר בלבו מי יורדני ארץ׃
- אם־תגביה כנשר ואם־בין כוכבים שים קנך משם אורידך נאם־יהוה׃
- אם־גנבים באו־לך אם־שודדי לילה איך נדמיתה הלוא יגנבו דים אם־בצרים באו לך הלוא ישאירו עללות׃
- איך נחפשו עשו נבעו מצפניו׃
- עד־הגבול שלחוך כל אנשי בריתך השיאוך יכלו לך אנשי שלמך לחמך ישימו מזור תחתיך אין תבונה בו׃
- הלוא ביום ההוא נאם־יהוה והאבדתי חכמים מאדום ותבונה מהר עשו׃
- וחתו גבוריך תימן למען יכרת־איש מהר עשו מקטל׃
- מחמס אחיך יעקב תכסך בושה ונכרת לעולם׃
- ביום עמדך מנגד ביום שבות זרים חילו ונכרים באו ועל־ירושלם ידו גורל גם־אתה כאחד מהם׃
- ואל־תרא ביום־אחיך ביום נכרו ואל־תשמח לבני־יהודה ביום אבדם ואל־תגדל פיך ביום צרה׃
- אל־תבוא בשער־עמי ביום אידם אל־תרא גם־אתה ברעתו ביום אידו ואל־תשלחנה בחילו ביום אידו׃
- ואל־תעמד על־הפרק להכרית את־פליטיו ואל־תסגר שרידיו ביום צרה׃
- כי־קרוב יום־יהוה על־כל־הגוים כאשר עשית יעשה לך גמלך ישוב בראשך׃
- כי כאשר שתיתם על־הר קדשי ישתו כל־הגוים תמיד ושתו ולעו והיו כלוא היו׃
- ובהר ציון תהיה פליטה והיה קדש וירשו בית יעקב את מורשיהם׃
- והיה בית־יעקב אש ובית יוסף להבה ובית עשו לקש ודלקו בהם ואכלום ולא־יהיה שריד לבית עשו כי יהוה דבר׃
- וירשו הנגב את־הר עשו והשפלה את־פלשתים וירשו את־שדה אפרים ואת שדה שמרון ובנימן את־הגלעד׃
- וגלת החל־הזה לבני ישראל אשר־כנענים עד־צרפת וגלת ירושלם אשר בספרד ירשו את ערי הנגב׃
- ועלו מושעים בהר ציון לשפט את־הר עשו והיתה ליהוה המלוכה׃
| Obadiah 1 Text (Latin)
- Visio Abdiæ. Hæc dicit Dominus Deus ad Edom : Auditum audivimus a Domino, et legatum ad gentes misit : surgite, et consurgamus adversus eum in prælium.
- Ecce parvulum dedi te in gentibus : contemptibilis tu es valde.
- Superbia cordis tui extulit te, habitantem in scissuris petrarum, exaltantem solium tuum ; qui dicis in corde tuo : Quis detrahet me in terram ?
- Si exaltatus fueris ut aquila, et si inter sidera posueris nidum tuum, inde detraham te, dicit Dominus.
- Si fures introissent ad te, si latrones per noctem, quomodo conticuisses ? nonne furati essent sufficientia sibi ? Si vindemiatores introissent ad te, numquid saltem racemum reliquissent tibi ?
- Quomodo scrutati sunt Esau ; investigaverunt abscondita ejus ?
- Usque ad terminum emiserunt te : omnes viri fœderis tui illuserunt tibi : invaluerunt adversum te viri pacis tuæ, qui comedunt tecum, ponent insidias subter te ; non est prudentia in eo.
- Numquid non in die illa, dicit Dominus, perdam sapientes de Idumæa, et prudentiam de monte Esau ?
- Et timebunt fortes tui a meridie, ut intereat vir de monte Esau.
- Propter interfectionem, et propter iniquitatem in fratrem tuum Jacob, operiet te confusio, et peribis in æternum.
- In die cum stares adversus eum, quando capiebant alieni exercitum ejus, et extranei ingrediebantur portas ejus, et super Jerusalem mittebant sortem, tu quoque eras quasi unus ex eis.
- Et non despicies in die fratris tui, in die peregrinationis ejus : et non lætaberis super filios Juda in die perditionis eorum : et non magnificabis os tuum in die angustiæ.
- Neque ingriederis portam populi mei in die ruinæ eorum ; neque despicies et tu in malis ejus in die vastitatis illius. Et non emitteris adversus exercitum ejus in die vastitatis illius,
- neque stabis in exitibus ut interficias eos qui fugerint, et non concludes reliquos ejus in die tribulationis.
- Quoniam juxta est dies Domini super omnes gentes : sicut fecisti, fiet tibi ; retributionem tuam convertet in caput tuum.
- Quomodo enim bibistis super montem sanctum meum, bibent omnes gentes jugiter : et bibent, et absorbebunt, et erunt quasi non sint.
- Et in monte Sion erit salvatio, et erit sanctus ; et possidebit domus Jacob eos qui se possederant.
- Et erit domus Jacob ignis, et domus Joseph flamma, et domus Esau stipula : et succendentur in eis, et devorabunt eos, et non erunt reliquiæ domus Esau, quia Dominus locutus est.
- Et hæreditabunt hi, qui ad austrum sunt, montem Esau, et qui in campestribus, Philisthiim : et possidebunt regionem Ephraim et regionem Samariæ, et Benjamin possidebit Galaad.
- Et transmigratio exercitus hujus filiorum Israël, omnia loca Chananæorum usque ad Sareptam : et transmigratio Jerusalem, quæ in Bosphoro est, possidebit civitates austri.
- Et ascendent salvatores in montem Sion judicare montem Esau, et erit Domino regnum.
| Obadiah 1 Text (KJV)
- The vision of Obadiah. Thus saith the Lord GOD concerning Edom; We have heard a rumour from the LORD, and an ambassador is sent among the heathen, Arise ye, and let us rise up against her in battle.
- Behold, I have made thee small among the heathen: thou art greatly despised.
- The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee, thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high; that saith in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground?
- Though thou exalt thyself as the eagle, and though thou set thy nest among the stars, thence will I bring thee down, saith the LORD.
- If thieves came to thee, if robbers by night, (how art thou cut off!) would they not have stolen till they had enough? if the grapegatherers came to thee, would they not leave some grapes?
- How are the things of Esau searched out! how are his hidden things sought up!
- All the men of thy confederacy have brought thee even to the border: the men that were at peace with thee have deceived thee, and prevailed against thee; they that eat thy bread have laid a wound under thee: there is none understanding in him.
- Shall I not in that day, saith the LORD, even destroy the wise men out of Edom, and understanding out of the mount of Esau?
- And thy mighty men, O Teman, shall be dismayed, to the end that every one of the mount of Esau may be cut off by slaughter.
- For thy violence against thy brother Jacob shame shall cover thee, and thou shalt be cut off for ever.
- In the day that thou stoodest on the other side, in the day that the strangers carried away captive his forces, and foreigners entered into his gates, and cast lots upon Jerusalem, even thou wast as one of them.
- But thou shouldest not have looked on the day of thy brother in the day that he became a stranger; neither shouldest thou have rejoiced over the children of Judah in the day of their destruction; neither shouldest thou have spoken proudly in the day of distress.
- Thou shouldest not have entered into the gate of my people in the day of their calamity; yea, thou shouldest not have looked on their affliction in the day of their calamity, nor have laid hands on their substance in the day of their calamity;
- Neither shouldest thou have stood in the crossway, to cut off those of his that did escape; neither shouldest thou have delivered up those of his that did remain in the day of distress.
- For the day of the LORD is near upon all the heathen: as thou hast done, it shall be done unto thee: thy reward shall return upon thine own head.
- For as ye have drunk upon my holy mountain, so shall all the heathen drink continually, yea, they shall drink, and they shall swallow down, and they shall be as though they had not been.
- But upon mount Zion shall be deliverance, and there shall be holiness; and the house of Jacob shall possess their possessions.
- And the house of Jacob shall be a fire, and the house of Joseph a flame, and the house of Esau for stubble, and they shall kindle in them, and devour them; and there shall not be any remaining of the house of Esau; for the LORD hath spoken it.
- And they of the south shall possess the mount of Esau; and they of the plain the Philistines: and they shall possess the fields of Ephraim, and the fields of Samaria: and Benjamin shall possess Gilead.
- And the captivity of this host of the children of Israel shall possess that of the Canaanites, even unto Zarephath; and the captivity of Jerusalem, which is in Sepharad, shall possess the cities of the south.
- And saviours shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau; and the kingdom shall be the LORD's.