| Numbers 21 - Versions
| Numbers 21 Text (WEB)
- The Canaanite, the king of Arad, who lived in the South, heard tell that Israel came by the way of Atharim; and he fought against Israel, and took some of them captive.
- Israel vowed a vow to Yahweh, and said, "If you will indeed deliver this people into my hand, then I will utterly destroy their cities."
- Yahweh listened to the voice of Israel, and delivered up the Canaanites; and they utterly destroyed them and their cities: and the name of the place was called Hormah.
- They traveled from Mount Hor by the way to the Red Sea, to compass the land of Edom: and the soul of the people was much discouraged because of the way.
- The people spoke against God, and against Moses, "Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? For there is no bread, and there is no water; and our soul loathes this light bread."
- Yahweh sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and many people of Israel died.
- The people came to Moses, and said, "We have sinned, because we have spoken against Yahweh, and against you. Pray to Yahweh, that he take away the serpents from us." Moses prayed for the people.
- Yahweh said to Moses, "Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a standard: and it shall happen, that everyone who is bitten, when he sees it, shall live."
- Moses made a serpent of brass, and set it on the standard: and it happened, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he looked to the serpent of brass, he lived.
- The children of Israel traveled, and encamped in Oboth.
- They traveled from Oboth, and encamped at Iyeabarim, in the wilderness which is before Moab, toward the sunrise.
- From there they traveled, and encamped in the valley of Zered.
- From there they traveled, and encamped on the other side of the Arnon, which is in the wilderness, that comes out of the border of the Amorites: for the Arnon is the border of Moab, between Moab and the Amorites.
- Therefore it is said in the book of the Wars of Yahweh, "Vaheb in Suphah, the valleys of the Arnon,
- the slope of the valleys that incline toward the dwelling of Ar, leans on the border of Moab."
- From there they traveled to Beer: that is the well of which Yahweh said to Moses, "Gather the people together, and I will give them water."
- Then sang Israel this song: "Spring up, well; sing to it:
- the well, which the princes dug, which the nobles of the people dug, with the scepter, and with their poles." From the wilderness [they traveled] to Mattanah;
- and from Mattanah to Nahaliel; and from Nahaliel to Bamoth;
- and from Bamoth to the valley that is in the field of Moab, to the top of Pisgah, which looks down on the desert.
- Israel sent messengers to Sihon king of the Amorites, saying,
- "Let me pass through your land: we will not turn aside into field, or into vineyard; we will not drink of the water of the wells: we will go by the king's highway, until we have passed your border."
- Sihon would not allow Israel to pass through his border: but Sihon gathered all his people together, and went out against Israel into the wilderness, and came to Jahaz; and he fought against Israel.
- Israel struck him with the edge of the sword, and possessed his land from the Arnon to the Jabbok, even to the children of Ammon; for the border of the children of Ammon was strong.
- Israel took all these cities: and Israel lived in all the cities of the Amorites, in Heshbon, and in all its towns.
- For Heshbon was the city of Sihon the king of the Amorites, who had fought against the former king of Moab, and taken all his land out of his hand, even to the Arnon.
- Therefore those who speak in proverbs say, "Come to Heshbon. Let the city of Sihon be built and established;
- for a fire has gone out of Heshbon, a flame from the city of Sihon. It has devoured Ar of Moab, The lords of the high places of the Arnon.
- Woe to you, Moab! You are undone, people of Chemosh! He has given his sons as fugitives, and his daughters into captivity, to Sihon king of the Amorites.
- We have shot at them. Heshbon has perished even to Dibon. We have laid waste even to Nophah, Which reaches to Medeba."
- Thus Israel lived in the land of the Amorites.
- Moses sent to spy out Jazer; and they took its towns, and drove out the Amorites who were there.
- They turned and went up by the way of Bashan: and Og the king of Bashan went out against them, he and all his people, to battle at Edrei.
- Yahweh said to Moses, "Don't fear him: for I have delivered him into your hand, and all his people, and his land; and you shall do to him as you did to Sihon king of the Amorites, who lived at Heshbon."
- So they struck him, and his sons and all his people, until there was none left him remaining: and they possessed his land.
| Numbers 21 Text (Hebrew)
- וישמע הכנעני מלך־ערד ישב הנגב כי בא ישראל דרך האתרים וילחם בישראל וישב ממנו שבי׃
- וידר ישראל נדר ליהוה ויאמר אם־נתן תתן את־העם הזה בידי והחרמתי את־עריהם׃
- וישמע יהוה בקול ישראל ויתן את־הכנעני ויחרם אתהם ואת־עריהם ויקרא שם־המקום חרמה׃ ף
- ויסעו מהר ההר דרך ים־סוף לסבב את־ארץ אדום ותקצר נפש־העם בדרך׃
- וידבר העם באלהים ובמשה למה העליתנו ממצרים למות במדבר כי אין לחם ואין מים ונפשנו קצה בלחם הקלקל׃
- וישלח יהוה בעם את הנחשים השרפים וינשכו את־העם וימת עם־רב מישראל׃
- ויבא העם אל־משה ויאמרו חטאנו כי־דברנו ביהוה ובך התפלל אל־יהוה ויסר מעלינו את־הנחש ויתפלל משה בעד העם׃
- ויאמר יהוה אל־משה עשה לך שרף ושים אתו על־נס והיה כל־הנשוך וראה אתו וחי׃
- ויעש משה נחש נחשת וישמהו על־הנס והיה אם־נשך הנחש את־איש והביט אל־נחש הנחשת וחי׃
- ויסעו בני ישראל ויחנו באבת׃
- ויסעו מאבת ויחנו בעיי העברים במדבר אשר על־פני מואב ממזרח השמש׃
- משם נסעו ויחנו בנחל זרד׃
- משם נסעו ויחנו מעבר ארנון אשר במדבר היצא מגבול האמרי כי ארנון גבול מואב בין מואב ובין האמרי׃
- על־כן יאמר בספר מלחמת יהוה את־והב בסופה ואת־הנחלים ארנון׃
- ואשד הנחלים אשר נטה לשבת ער ונשען לגבול מואב׃
- ומשם בארה הוא הבאר אשר אמר יהוה למשה אסף את־העם ואתנה להם מים׃ ס
- אז ישיר ישראל את־השירה הזאת עלי באר ענו־לה׃
- באר חפרוה שרים כרוה נדיבי העם במחקק במשענתם וממדבר מתנה׃
- וממתנה נחליאל ומנחליאל במות׃
- ומבמות הגיא אשר בשדה מואב ראש הפסגה ונשקפה על־פני הישימן׃ ף
- וישלח ישראל מלאכים אל־סיחן מלך־האמרי לאמר׃
- אעברה בארצך לא נטה בשדה ובכרם לא נשתה מי באר בדרך המלך נלך עד אשר־נעבר גבלך׃
- ולא־נתן סיחן את־ישראל עבר בגבלו ויאסף סיחן את־כל־עמו ויצא לקראת ישראל המדברה ויבא יהצה וילחם בישראל׃
- ויכהו ישראל לפי־חרב ויירש את־ארצו מארןן עד־יבק עד־בני עמון כי עז גבול בני עמון׃
- ויקח ישראל את כל־הערים האלה וישב ישראל בכל־ערי האמרי בחשבון ובכל־בנתיה׃
- כי חשבון עיר סיחן מלך האמרי הוא והוא נלחם במלך מואב הראשון ויקח את־כל־ארצו מידו עד־ארןן׃
- על־כן יאמרו המשלים באו חשבון תבנה ותכוןן עיר סיחון׃
- כי־אש יצאה מחשבון להבה מקרית סיחן אכלה ער מואב בעלי במות ארןן׃
- אוי־לך מואב אבדת עם־כמוש נתן בניו פליטם ובנתיו בשבית למלך אמרי סיחון׃
- ונירם אבד חשבון עד־דיבון ונשים עד־נפח אשר עד־מידבא׃
- וישב ישראל בארץ האמרי׃
- וישלח משה לרגל את־יעזר וילכדו בנתיה את־האמרי אשר־שם׃
- ויפנו ויעלו דרך הבשן ויצא עוג מלך־הבשן לקראתם הוא וכל־עמו למלחמה אדרעי׃
- ויאמר יהוה אל־משה אל־תירא אתו כי בידך נתתי אתו ואת־כל־עמו ואת־ארצו ועשית לו כאשר עשית לסיחן מלך האמרי אשר יושב בחשבון׃
- ויכו אתו ואת־בניו ואת־כל־עמו עד־בלתי השאיר־לו שריד ויירשו את־ארצו׃
| Numbers 21 Text (Latin)
- Quod cum audisset Chananæus rex Arad, qui habitabat ad meridiem, venisse scilicet Israël per exploratorum viam, pugnavit contra illum, et victor existens, duxit ex eo prædam.
- At Israël voto se Domino obligans, ait : Si tradideris populum istum in manu mea, delebo urbes ejus.
- Exaudivitque Dominus preces Israël, et tradidit Chananæum, quem ille interfecit subversis urbibus ejus : et vocavit nomen loci illius Horma, id est, anathema.
- Profecti sunt autem et de monte Hor, per viam quæ ducit ad mare Rubrum, ut circumirent terram Edom. Et tædere cœpit populum itineris ac laboris :
- locutusque contra Deum et Moysen, ait : Cur eduxisti nos de Ægypto, ut moreremur in solitudine ? deest panis, non sunt aquæ : anima nostra jam nauseat super cibo isto levissimo.
- Quam ob rem misit Dominus in populum ignitos serpentes, ad quorum plagas et mortes plurimorum,
- venerunt ad Moysen, atque dixerunt : Peccavimus, quia locuti sumus contra Dominum et te : ora ut tollat a nobis serpentes. Oravitque Moyses pro populo,
- et locutus est Dominus ad eum : Fac serpentem æneum, et pone eum pro signo : qui percussus aspexerit eum, vivet.
- Fecit ergo Moyses serpentem æneum, et posuit eum pro signo : quem cum percussi aspicerent, sanabantur.
- Profectique filii Israël castrametati sunt in Oboth.
- Unde egressi fixere tentoria in Jeabarim, in solitudine quæ respicit Moab contra orientalem plagam.
- Et inde moventes, venerunt ad torrentem Zared.
- Quem relinquentes castrametati sunt contra Arnon, quæ est in deserto, et prominet in finibus Amorrhæi. Siquidem Arnon terminus est Moab, dividens Moabitas et Amorrhæos.
- Unde dicitur in libro bellorum Domini : Sicut fecit in mari Rubro, sic faciet in torrentibus Arnon.
- Scopuli torrentium inclinati sunt, ut requiescerent in Ar, et recumberent in finibus Moabitarum.
- Ex eo loco apparuit puteus, super quo locutus est Dominus ad Moysen : Congrega populum, et dabo ei aquam.
- Tunc cecinit Israël carmen istud : Ascendat puteus. Concinebant :
- Puteus, quem foderunt principes et paraverunt duces multitudinis in datore legis, et in baculis suis. De solitudine, Matthana.
- De Matthana in Nahaliel : de Nahaliel in Bamoth.
- De Bamoth, vallis est in regione Moab, in vertice Phasga, quod respicit contra desertum.
- Misit autem Israël nuntios ad Sehon regem Amorrhæorum, dicens :
- Obsecro ut transire mihi liceat per terram tuam : non declinabimus in agros et vineas ; non bibemus aquas ex puteis : via regia gradiemur, donec transeamus terminos tuos.
- Qui concedere noluit ut transiret Israël per fines suos : quin potius exercitu congregato, egressus est obviam in desertum, et venit in Jasa, pugnavitque contra eum.
- A quo percussus est in ore gladii, et possessa est terra ejus ab Arnon usque Jeboc, et filios Ammon : quia forti præsidio tenebantur termini Ammonitarum.
- Tulit ergo Israël omnes civitates ejus, et habitavit in urbibus Amorrhæi, in Hesebon scilicet, et viculis ejus.
- Urbs Hesebon fuit Sehon regis Amorrhæi, qui pugnavit contra regem Moab : et tulit omnem terram, quæ ditionis illius fuerat usque Arnon.
- Idcirco dicitur in proverbio : Venite in Hesebon : ædificetur, et construatur civitas Sehon :
- ignis egressus est de Hesebon, flamma de oppido Sehon, et devoravit Ar Moabitarum, et habitatores excelsorum Arnon.
- Væ tibi Moab ; peristi popule Chamos. Dedit filios ejus in fugam, et filias in captivitatem regi Amorrhæorum Sehon.
- Jugum ipsorum disperiit ad Hesebon usque Dibon : lassi pervenerunt in Nophe, et usque Medaba.
- Habitavit itaque Israël in terra Amorrhæi.
- Misitque Moyses qui explorarent Jazer : cujus ceperunt viculos, et possederunt habitatores.
- Verteruntque se, et ascenderunt per viam Basan, et occurrit eis Og, rex Basan, cum omni populo suo, pugnaturus in Edrai.
- Dixitque Dominus ad Moysen : Ne timeas eum, quia in manu tua tradidi illum, et omnem populum ac terram ejus : faciesque illi sicut fecisti Sehon, regi Amorrhæorum habitatori Hesebon.
- Percusserunt igitur et hunc cum filiis suis, universumque populum ejus usque ad internecionem, et possederunt terram illius.
| Numbers 21 Text (KJV)
- And when king Arad the Canaanite, which dwelt in the south, heard tell that Israel came by the way of the spies; then he fought against Israel, and took some of them prisoners.
- And Israel vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou wilt indeed deliver this people into my hand, then I will utterly destroy their cities.
- And the LORD hearkened to the voice of Israel, and delivered up the Canaanites; and they utterly destroyed them and their cities: and he called the name of the place Hormah.
- And they journeyed from mount Hor by the way of the Red sea, to compass the land of Edom: and the soul of the people was much discouraged because of the way.
- And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.
- And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
- Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
- And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
- And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.
- And the children of Israel set forward, and pitched in Oboth.
- And they journeyed from Oboth, and pitched at Ije-abarim, in the wilderness which is before Moab, toward the sunrising.
- From thence they removed, and pitched in the valley of Zared.
- From thence they removed, and pitched on the other side of Arnon, which is in the wilderness that cometh out of the coasts of the Amorites: for Arnon is the border of Moab, between Moab and the Amorites.
- Wherefore it is said in the book of the wars of the LORD, What he did in the Red sea, and in the brooks of Arnon,
- And at the stream of the brooks that goeth down to the dwelling of Ar, and lieth upon the border of Moab.
- And from thence they went to Beer: that is the well whereof the LORD spake unto Moses, Gather the people together, and I will give them water.
- Then Israel sang this song, Spring up, O well; sing ye unto it:
- The princes digged the well, the nobles of the people digged it, by the direction of the lawgiver, with their staves. And from the wilderness they went to Mattanah:
- And from Mattanah to Nahaliel: and from Nahaliel to Bamoth:
- And from Bamoth in the valley, that is in the country of Moab, to the top of Pisgah, which looketh toward Jeshimon.
- And Israel sent messengers unto Sihon king of the Amorites, saying,
- Let me pass through thy land: we will not turn into the fields, or into the vineyards; we will not drink of the waters of the well: but we will go along by the king's high way, until we be past thy borders.
- And Sihon would not suffer Israel to pass through his border: but Sihon gathered all his people together, and went out against Israel into the wilderness: and he came to Jahaz, and fought against Israel.
- And Israel smote him with the edge of the sword, and possessed his land from Arnon unto Jabbok, even unto the children of Ammon: for the border of the children of Ammon was strong.
- And Israel took all these cities: and Israel dwelt in all the cities of the Amorites, in Heshbon, and in all the villages thereof.
- For Heshbon was the city of Sihon the king of the Amorites, who had fought against the former king of Moab, and taken all his land out of his hand, even unto Arnon.
- Wherefore they that speak in proverbs say, Come into Heshbon, let the city of Sihon be built and prepared:
- For there is a fire gone out of Heshbon, a flame from the city of Sihon: it hath consumed Ar of Moab, and the lords of the high places of Arnon.
- Woe to thee, Moab! thou art undone, O people of Chemosh: he hath given his sons that escaped, and his daughters, into captivity unto Sihon king of the Amorites.
- We have shot at them; Heshbon is perished even unto Dibon, and we have laid them waste even unto Nophah, which reacheth unto Medeba.
- Thus Israel dwelt in the land of the Amorites.
- And Moses sent to spy out Jaazer, and they took the villages thereof, and drove out the Amorites that were there.
- And they turned and went up by the way of Bashan: and Og the king of Bashan went out against them, he, and all his people, to the battle at Edrei.
- And the LORD said unto Moses, Fear him not: for I have delivered him into thy hand, and all his people, and his land; and thou shalt do to him as thou didst unto Sihon king of the Amorites, which dwelt at Heshbon.
- So they smote him, and his sons, and all his people, until there was none left him alive: and they possessed his land.