|Nehemiah 6 - Versions
|Nehemiah 6 Text (WEB)
- Now it happened, when it was reported to Sanballat and Tobiah, and to Geshem the Arabian, and to the rest of our enemies, that I had built the wall, and that there was no breach left therein; (though even to that time I had not set up the doors in the gates;)
- that Sanballat and Geshem sent to me, saying, "Come, let us meet together in [one of] the villages in the plain of Ono." But they intended to harm me.
- I sent messengers to them, saying, "I am doing a great work, so that I can't come down. Why should the work cease, while I leave it, and come down to you?"
- They sent to me four times after this sort; and I answered them the same way.
- Then Sanballat sent his servant to me the same way the fifth time with an open letter in his hand,
- in which was written, "It is reported among the nations, and Gashmu says it, that you and the Jews intend to rebel. Because of that, you are building the wall. You would be their king, according to these words.
- You have also appointed prophets to preach of you at Jerusalem, saying, 'There is a king in Judah!' Now it will be reported to the king according to these words. Come now therefore, and let us take counsel together."
- Then I sent to him, saying, "There are no such things done as you say, but you imagine them out of your own heart."
- For they all would have made us afraid, saying, "Their hands will be weakened from the work, that it not be done. But now, [God], strengthen my hands."
- I went to the house of Shemaiah the son of Delaiah the son of Mehetabel, who was shut in at his home; and he said, "Let us meet together in the house of God, within the temple, and let us shut the doors of the temple; for they will come to kill you; yes, in the night will they come to kill you."
- I said, "Should such a man as I flee? Who is there that, being such as I, would go into the temple to save his life? I will not go in."
- I discerned, and behold, God had not sent him; but he pronounced this prophecy against me. Tobiah and Sanballat had hired him.
- He hired so that I would be afraid, do so, and sin, and that they might have material for an evil report, that they might reproach me.
- "Remember, my God, Tobiah and Sanballat according to these their works, and also the prophetess Noadiah, and the rest of the prophets, that would have put me in fear."
- So the wall was finished in the twenty-fifth [day] of [the month] Elul, in fifty-two days.
- It happened, when all our enemies heard [of it], that all the nations that were about us feared, and were much cast down in their own eyes; for they perceived that this work was worked of our God.
- Moreover in those days the nobles of Judah sent many letters to Tobiah, and [the letters] of Tobiah came to them.
- For there were many in Judah sworn to him, because he was the son-in-law of Shecaniah the son of Arah; and his son Jehohanan had taken the daughter of Meshullam the son of Berechiah as wife.
- Also they spoke of his good deeds before me, and reported my words to him. Tobiah sent letters to put me in fear.
|Nehemiah 6 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי כאשר נשמע לסנבלט וטוביה ולגשם הערבי וליתר איבינו כי בניתי את־החומה ולא־נותר בה פרץ גם עד־העת ההיא דלתות לא־העמדתי בשערים׃
- וישלח סנבלט וגשם אלי לאמר לכה ונועדה יחדו בכפירים בבקעת אונו והמה חשבים לעשות לי רעה׃
- ואשלחה עליהם מלאכים לאמר מלאכה גדולה אני עשה ולא אוכל לרדת למה תשבת המלאכה כאשר ארפה וירדתי אליכם׃
- וישלחו אלי כדבר הזה ארבע פעמים ואשיב אותם כדבר הזה׃ ס
- וישלח אלי סנבלט כדבר הזה פעם חמישית את־נערו ואגרת פתוחה בידו׃
- כתוב בה בגוים נשמע וגשמו אמר אתה והיהודים חשבים למרוד על־כן אתה בונה החומה ואתה הוה להם למלך כדברים האלה׃
- וגם־נביאים העמדת לקרא עליך בירושלם לאמר מלך ביהודה ועתה ישמע למלך כדברים האלה ועתה לכה ונועצה יחדו׃ ס
- ואשלחה אליו לאמר לא נהיה כדברים האלה אשר אתה אומר כי מלבך אתה בודאם
- כי כלם מיראים אותנו לאמר ירפו ידיהם מן־המלאכה ולא תעשה ועתה חזק את־ידי׃
- ואני־באתי בית שמעיה בן־דליה בן־מהיטבאל והוא עצור ויאמר נועד אל־בית האלהים אל־תוך ההיכל ונסגרה דלתות ההיכל כי באים להרגך ולילה באים להרגך׃
- ואמרה האיש כמוני יברח ומי כמוני אשר־יבוא אל־ההיכל וחי לא אבוא׃
- ואכירה והנה לא־אלהים שלחו כי הנבואה דבר עלי וטוביה וסנבלט שכרו׃
- למען שכור הוא למען־אירא ואעשה־כן וחטאתי והיה להם לשם רע למען יחרפוני׃ ף
- זכרה אלהי לטוביה ולסנבלט כמעשיו אלה וגם לנועדיה הנביאה וליתר הנביאים אשר היו מיראים אותי׃
- ותשלם החומה בעשרים וחמשה לאלול לחמשים ושנים יום׃ ף
- ויהי כאשר שמעו כל־אויבינו ויראו כל־הגוים אשר סביבתינו ויפלו מאד בעיניהם וידעו כי מאת אלהינו נעשתה המלאכה הזאת׃
- גם בימים ההם מרבים חרי יהודה אגרתיהם הולכות על־טוביה ואשר לטוביה באות אליהם׃
- כי־רבים ביהודה בעלי שבועה לו כי־חתן הוא לשכניה בן־ארח ויהוחןן בנו לקח את־בת־משלם בן ברכיה׃
- גם טובתיו היו אמרים לפני ודברי היו מוציאים לו אגרות שלח טוביה ליראני׃
|Nehemiah 6 Text (Latin)
- Factum est autem, cum audisset Sanaballat, et Tobias, et Gossem Arabs, et ceteri inimici nostri, quod ædificassem ego murum, et non esset in ipso residua interruptio (usque ad tempus autem illud valvas non posueram in portis),
- miserunt Sanaballat et Gossem ad me, dicentes : Veni, et percutiamus fœdus pariter in viculis in campo Ono. Ipsi autem cogitabant ut facerent mihi malum.
- Misi ergo ad eos nuntios, dicens : Opus grande ego facio, et non possum descendere : ne forte negligatur cum venero, et descendero ad vos.
- Miserunt autem ad me secundum verbum hoc per quatuor vices : et respondi eis juxta sermonem priorem.
- Et misit ad me Sanaballat juxta verbum prius quinta vice puerum suum, et epistolam habebat in manu sua scriptam hoc modo :
- In gentibus auditum est, et Gossem dixit, quod tu et Judæi cogitetis rebellare, et propterea ædifices murum, et levare te velis super eos regem : propter quam causam
- et prophetas posueris, qui prædicent de te in Jerusalem, dicentes : Rex in Judæa est. Auditurus est rex verba hæc : idcirco nunc veni, ut ineamus consilium pariter.
- Et misi ad eos, dicens : Non est factum secundum verba hæc, quæ tu loqueris : de corde enim tuo tu componis hæc.
- Omnes enim hi terrebant nos, cogitantes quod cessarent manus nostræ ab opere, et quiesceremus : quam ob causam magis confortavi manus meas.
- Et ingressus sum domum Semaiæ filii Dalaiæ filii Metabeel secreto. Qui ait : Tractemus nobiscum in domo Dei in medio templi, et claudamus portas ædis : quia venturi sunt ut interficiant te, et nocte venturi sunt ad occidendum te.
- Et dixi : Num quisquam similis mei fugit ? et quis ut ego ingredietur templum, et vivet ? Non ingrediar.
- Et intellexi quod Deus non misisset eum, sed quasi vaticinans locutus esset ad me, et Tobias et Sanaballat conduxissent eum.
- Acceperat enim pretium, ut territus facerem, et peccarem, et haberent malum, quod exprobrarent mihi.
- Memento mei, Domine, pro Tobia et Sanaballat, juxta opera eorum talia : sed et Noadiæ prophetæ, et ceterorum prophetarum, qui terrebant me.
- Completus est autem murus vigesimo quinto die mensis Elul, quinquaginta duobus diebus.
- Factum est ergo cum audissent omnes inimici nostri, ut timerent universæ gentes, quæ erant in circuitu nostro, et conciderent intra semetipsos, et scirent quod a Deo factum esset opus hoc.
- Sed et in diebus illis multæ optimatum Judæorum epistolæ mittebantur ad Tobiam, et a Tobia veniebant ad eos.
- Multi enim erant in Judæa habentes juramentum ejus, quia gener erat Secheniæ filii Area, et Johanan filius ejus acceperat filiam Mosollam filii Barachiæ :
- sed et laudabant eum coram me, et verba mea nuntiabant ei : et Tobias mittebat epistolas ut terreret me.
|Nehemiah 6 Text (KJV)
- Now it came to pass, when Sanballat, and Tobiah, and Geshem the Arabian, and the rest of our enemies, heard that I had builded the wall, and that there was no breach left therein; (though at that time I had not set up the doors upon the gates;)
- That Sanballat and Geshem sent unto me, saying, Come, let us meet together in some one of the villages in the plain of Ono. But they thought to do me mischief.
- And I sent messengers unto them, saying, I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you?
- Yet they sent unto me four times after this sort; and I answered them after the same manner.
- Then sent Sanballat his servant unto me in like manner the fifth time with an open letter in his hand;
- Wherein was written, It is reported among the heathen, and Gashmu saith it, that thou and the Jews think to rebel: for which cause thou buildest the wall, that thou mayest be their king, according to these words.
- And thou hast also appointed prophets to preach of thee at Jerusalem, saying, There is a king in Judah: and now shall it be reported to the king according to these words. Come now therefore, and let us take counsel together.
- Then I sent unto him, saying, There are no such things done as thou sayest, but thou feignest them out of thine own heart.
- For they all made us afraid, saying, Their hands shall be weakened from the work, that it be not done. Now therefore, O God, strengthen my hands.
- Afterward I came unto the house of Shemaiah the son of Delaiah the son of Mehetabeel, who was shut up; and he said, Let us meet together in the house of God, within the temple, and let us shut the doors of the temple: for they will come to slay thee; yea, in the night will they come to slay thee.
- And I said, Should such a man as I flee? and who is there, that, being as I am, would go into the temple to save his life? I will not go in.
- And, lo, I perceived that God had not sent him; but that he pronounced this prophecy against me: for Tobiah and Sanballat had hired him.
- Therefore was he hired, that I should be afraid, and do so, and sin, and that they might have matter for an evil report, that they might reproach me.
- My God, think thou upon Tobiah and Sanballat according to these their works, and on the prophetess Noadiah, and the rest of the prophets, that would have put me in fear.
- So the wall was finished in the twenty and fifth day of the month Elul, in fifty and two days.
- And it came to pass, that when all our enemies heard thereof, and all the heathen that were about us saw these things, they were much cast down in their own eyes: for they perceived that this work was wrought of our God.
- Moreover in those days the nobles of Judah sent many letters unto Tobiah, and the letters of Tobiah came unto them.
- For there were many in Judah sworn unto him, because he was the son in law of Shechaniah the son of Arah; and his son Johanan had taken the daughter of Meshullam the son of Berechiah.
- Also they reported his good deeds before me, and uttered my words to him. And Tobiah sent letters to put me in fear.