| Nehemiah 4 - Versions
| Nehemiah 4 Text (WEB)
- But it happened that when Sanballat heard that we were building the wall, he was angry, and took great indignation, and mocked the Jews.
- He spoke before his brothers and the army of Samaria, and said, "What are these feeble Jews doing? Will they fortify themselves? Will they sacrifice? Will they finish in a day? Will they revive the stones out of the heaps of rubbish, since they are burned?"
- Now Tobiah the Ammonite was by him, and he said, "What they are building, if a fox climbed up it, he would break down their stone wall."
- "Hear, our God; for we are despised; and turn back their reproach on their own head, give them up for a spoil in a land of captivity;
- don't cover their iniquity, and don't let their sin be blotted out from before you; for they have insulted the builders."
- So we built the wall; and all the wall was joined together to half [the height] of it: for the people had a mind to work.
- But it happened that when Sanballat, Tobiah, the Arabians, the Ammonites, and the Ashdodites heard that the repairing of the walls of Jerusalem went forward, [and] that the breaches began to be stopped, then they were very angry;
- and they conspired all of them together to come and fight against Jerusalem, and to cause confusion therein.
- But we made our prayer to our God, and set a watch against them day and night, because of them.
- Judah said, "The strength of the bearers of burdens is fading, and there is much rubbish; so that we are not able to build the wall."
- Our adversaries said, "They shall not know, neither see, until we come into the midst of them, and kill them, and cause the work to cease."
- It happened that when the Jews who lived by them came, they said to us ten times from all places, "Wherever you turn, they will attack us."
- Therefore set I in the lowest parts of the space behind the wall, in the open places, I set [there] the people after their families with their swords, their spears, and their bows.
- I looked, and rose up, and said to the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, "Don't be afraid of them! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses."
- It happened, when our enemies heard that it was known to us, and God had brought their counsel to nothing, that we returned all of us to the wall, everyone to his work.
- It happened from that time forth, that half of my servants worked in the work, and half of them held the spears, the shields, and the bows, and the coats of mail; and the rulers were behind all the house of Judah.
- They all built the wall and those who bore burdens loaded themselves; everyone with one of his hands worked in the work, and with the other held his weapon;
- and the builders, everyone wore his sword at his side, and so built. He who sounded the trumpet was by me.
- I said to the nobles, and to the rulers and to the rest of the people, "The work is great and large, and we are separated on the wall, one far from another.
- Wherever you hear the sound of the trumpet, rally there to us. Our God will fight for us."
- So we worked in the work: and half of them held the spears from the rising of the morning until the stars appeared.
- Likewise at the same time said I to the people, "Let everyone with his servant lodge within Jerusalem, that in the night they may be a guard to us, and may labor in the day."
- So neither I, nor my brothers, nor my servants, nor the men of the guard who followed me, none of us took off our clothes. Everyone took his weapon to the water.
| Nehemiah 4 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי כאשר שמע סנבלט כי־אנחנו בונים את־החומה ויחר לו ויכעס הרבה וילעג על־היהודים׃
- ויאמר לפני אחיו וחיל שמרון ויאמר מה היהודים האמללים עשים היעזבו להם היזבחו היכלו ביום היחיו את־האבנים מערמות העפר והמה שרופות׃
- וטוביה העמני אצלו ויאמר גם אשר־הם בונים אם־יעלה שועל ופרץ חומת אבניהם׃ ף
- שמע אלהינו כי־היינו בוזה והשב חרפתם אל־ראשם ותנם לבזה בארץ שביה׃
- ואל־תכס על־עונם וחטאתם מלפניך אל־תמחה כי הכעיסו לנגד הבונים׃
- ונבנה את־החומה ותקשר כל־החומה עד־חציה ויהי לב לעם לעשות׃ ף
- ויהי כאשר שמע סנבלט וטוביה והערבים והעמנים והאשדודים כי־עלתה ארוכה לחמות ירושלם כי־החלו הפרצים להסתם ויחר להם מאד׃
- ויקשרו כלם יחדו לבוא להלחם בירושלם ולעשות לו תועה׃
- ונתפלל אל־אלהינו ונעמיד משמר עליהם יוםם ולילה מפניהם׃
- ויאמר יהודה כשל כח הסבל והעפר הרבה ואנחנו לא נוכל לבנות בחומה׃
- ויאמרו צרינו לא ידעו ולא יראו עד אשר־נבוא אל־תוכם והרגנום והשבתנו את־המלאכה׃
- ויהי כאשר־באו היהודים הישבים אצלם ויאמרו לנו עשר פעמים מכל־המקמות אשר־תשובו עלינו׃
- ואעמיד מתחתיות למקום מאחרי לחומה ואעמיד את־העם למשפחות עם־חרבתיהם רמחיהם וקשתתיהם׃
- וארא ואקום ואמר אל־החרים ואל־הסגנים ואל־יתר העם אל־תיראו מפניהם את־אדני הגדול והנורא זכרו והלחמו על־אחיכם בניכם ובנתיכם נשיכם ובתיכם׃ ף
- ויהי כאשר־שמעו אויבינו כי־נודע לנו ויפר האלהים את־עצתם כלנו אל־החומה איש אל־מלאכתו׃
- ויהי מן־היום ההוא חצי נערי עשים במלאכה וחצים מחזיקים והרמחים המגנים והקשתות והשרינים והשרים אחרי כל־בית יהודה׃
- הבונים בחומה והנשאים בסבל עמשים באחת ידו עשה במלאכה ואחת מחזקת השלח׃
- והבונים איש חרבו אסורים על־מתניו ובונים והתוקע בשופר אצלי׃
- ואמר אל־החרים ואל־הסגנים ואל־יתר העם המלאכה הרבה ורחבה ואנחנו נפרדים על־החומה רחוקים איש מאחיו׃
- במקום אשר תשמעו את־קול השופר שמה תקבצו אלינו אלהינו ילחם לנו׃
- ואנחנו עשים במלאכה וחצים מחזיקים ברמחים מעלות השחר עד צאת הכוכבים׃
- גם בעת ההיא אמרתי לעם איש ונערו ילינו בתוך ירושלם והיו־לנו הלילה משמר והיום מלאכה׃
- ואין אני ואחי ונערי ואנשי המשמר אשר אחרי אין־אנחנו פשטים בגדינו איש שלחו המים׃ ס
| Nehemiah 4 Text (Latin)
- Factum est autem, cum audisset Sanaballat quod ædificaremus murum, iratus est valde : et motus nimis subsannavit Judæos,
- et dixit coram fratribus suis, et frequentia Samaritanorum : Quid Judæi faciunt imbecilles ? num dimittent eos gentes ? num sacrificabunt, et complebunt in una die ? numquid ædificare poterunt lapides de acervis pulveris, qui combusti sunt ?
- Sed et Tobias Ammanites proximus ejus, ait : Ædificent : si ascenderit vulpes, transiliet murum eorum lapideum.
- Audi, Deus noster, quia facti sumus despectui : converte opprobrium super caput eorum, et da eos in despectionem in terra captivitatis.
- Ne operias iniquitatem eorum, et peccatum eorum coram facie tua non deleatur, quia irriserunt ædificantes.
- Itaque ædificavimus murum, et conjunximus totum usque ad partem dimidiam : et provocatum est cor populi ad operandum.
- Factum est autem, cum audisset Sanaballat, et Tobias, et Arabes, et Ammanitæ, et Azotii, quod obducta esset cicatrix muri Jerusalem, et quod cœpissent interrupta concludi, irati sunt nimis.
- Et congregati sunt omnes pariter ut venirent, et pugnarent contra Jerusalem, et molirentur insidias.
- Et oravimus Deum nostrum, et posuimus custodes super murum die ac nocte contra eos.
- Dixit autem Judas : Debilitata est fortitudo portantis, et humus nimia est, et nos non poterimus ædificare murum.
- Et dixerunt hostes nostri : Nesciant, et ignorent donec veniamus in medium eorum, et interficiamus eos, et cessare faciamus opus.
- Factum est autem venientibus Judæis, qui habitabant juxta eos, et dicentibus nobis per decem vices, ex omnibus locis quibus venerant ad nos,
- statui in loco post murum per circuitum populum in ordinem cum gladiis suis, et lanceis, et arcubus.
- Et perspexi atque surrexi : et aio ad optimates et magistratus, et ad reliquam partem vulgi : Nolite timere a facie eorum : Domini magni et terribilis mementote, et pugnate pro fratribus vestris, filiis vestris, et filiabus vestris, et uxoribus vestris, et domibus vestris.
- Factum est autem, cum audissent inimici nostri nuntiatum esse nobis, dissipavit Deus consilium eorum. Et reversi sumus omnes ad muros, unusquisque ad opus suum.
- Et factum est a die illa, media pars juvenum eorum faciebat opus, et media parata erat ad bellum, et lanceæ, et scuta, et arcus, et loricæ, et principes post eos in omni domo Juda,
- ædificantium in muro, et portantium onera, et imponentium : una manu sua faciebat opus, et altera tenebat gladium :
- ædificentium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus renes. Et ædificabant, et clangebant buccina juxta me.
- Et dixi ad optimates, et ad magistratus, et ad reliquam partem vulgi : Opus grande est et latum, et nos separati sumus in muro procul alter ab altero :
- in loco quocumque audieritis clangorem tubæ, illuc concurrite ad nos : Deus noster pugnabit pro nobis.
- Et nos ipsi faciamus opus : et media pars nostrum teneat lanceas ab ascensu auroræ donec egrediantur astra.
- In tempore quoque illo dixi populo : Unusquisque cum puero suo maneat in medio Jerusalem, et sint nobis vices per noctem et diem ad operandum.
- Ego autem et fratres mei, et pueri mei, et custodes, qui erant post me, non deponebamus vestimenta nostra : unusquisque tantum nudabatur ad baptismum.
| Nehemiah 4 Text (KJV)
- But it came to pass, that when Sanballat heard that we builded the wall, he was wroth, and took great indignation, and mocked the Jews.
- And he spake before his brethren and the army of Samaria, and said, What do these feeble Jews? will they fortify themselves? will they sacrifice? will they make an end in a day? will they revive the stones out of the heaps of the rubbish which are burned?
- Now Tobiah the Ammonite was by him, and he said, Even that which they build, if a fox go up, he shall even break down their stone wall.
- Hear, O our God; for we are despised: and turn their reproach upon their own head, and give them for a prey in the land of captivity:
- And cover not their iniquity, and let not their sin be blotted out from before thee: for they have provoked thee to anger before the builders.
- So built we the wall; and all the wall was joined together unto the half thereof: for the people had a mind to work.
- But it came to pass, that when Sanballat, and Tobiah, and the Arabians, and the Ammonites, and the Ashdodites, heard that the walls of Jerusalem were made up, and that the breaches began to be stopped, then they were very wroth,
- And conspired all of them together to come and to fight against Jerusalem, and to hinder it.
- Nevertheless we made our prayer unto our God, and set a watch against them day and night, because of them.
- And Judah said, The strength of the bearers of burdens is decayed, and there is much rubbish; so that we are not able to build the wall.
- And our adversaries said, They shall not know, neither see, till we come in the midst among them, and slay them, and cause the work to cease.
- And it came to pass, that when the Jews which dwelt by them came, they said unto us ten times, From all places whence ye shall return unto us they will be upon you.
- Therefore set I in the lower places behind the wall, and on the higher places, I even set the people after their families with their swords, their spears, and their bows.
- And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses.
- And it came to pass, when our enemies heard that it was known unto us, and God had brought their counsel to nought, that we returned all of us to the wall, every one unto his work.
- And it came to pass from that time forth, that the half of my servants wrought in the work, and the other half of them held both the spears, the shields, and the bows, and the habergeons; and the rulers were behind all the house of Judah.
- They which builded on the wall, and they that bare burdens, with those that laded, every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon.
- For the builders, every one had his sword girded by his side, and so builded. And he that sounded the trumpet was by me.
- And I said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, The work is great and large, and we are separated upon the wall, one far from another.
- In what place therefore ye hear the sound of the trumpet, resort ye thither unto us: our God shall fight for us.
- So we laboured in the work: and half of them held the spears from the rising of the morning till the stars appeared.
- Likewise at the same time said I unto the people, Let every one with his servant lodge within Jerusalem, that in the night they may be a guard to us, and labour on the day.
- So neither I, nor my brethren, nor my servants, nor the men of the guard which followed me, none of us put off our clothes, saving that every one put them off for washing.