|Luke 3 - Versions
|Luke 3 Text (WEB)
- Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene,
- in the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John, the son of Zacharias, in the wilderness.
- He came into all the region around the Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for remission of sins.
- As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet, "The voice of one crying in the wilderness, 'Make ready the way of the Lord. Make his paths straight.
- Every valley will be filled. Every mountain and hill will be brought low. The crooked will become straight, and the rough ways smooth.
- All flesh will see God's salvation.'"
- He said therefore to the multitudes who went out to be baptized by him, "You offspring of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
- Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and don't begin to say among yourselves, 'We have Abraham for our father;' for I tell you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones!
- Even now the axe also lies at the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that doesn't bring forth good fruit is cut down, and thrown into the fire."
- The multitudes asked him, "What then must we do?"
- He answered them, "He who has two coats, let him give to him who has none. He who has food, let him do likewise."
- Tax collectors also came to be baptized, and they said to him, "Teacher, what must we do?"
- He said to them, "Collect no more than that which is appointed to you."
- Soldiers also asked him, saying, "What about us? What must we do?" He said to them, "Extort from no one by violence, neither accuse anyone wrongfully. Be content with your wages."
- As the people were in expectation, and all men reasoned in their hearts concerning John, whether perhaps he was the Christ,
- John answered them all, "I indeed baptize you with water, but he comes who is mightier than I, the latchet of whose sandals I am not worthy to loosen. He will baptize you in the Holy Spirit and fire,
- whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly cleanse his threshing floor, and will gather the wheat into his barn; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."
- Then with many other exhortations he preached good news to the people,
- but Herod the tetrarch, being reproved by him for Herodias, his brother's wife, and for all the evil things which Herod had done,
- added this also to them all, that he shut up John in prison.
- Now it happened, when all the people were baptized, Jesus also had been baptized, and was praying. The sky was opened,
- and the Holy Spirit descended in a bodily form as a dove on him; and a voice came out of the sky, saying "You are my beloved Son. In you I am well pleased."
- Jesus himself, when he began to teach, was about thirty years old, being the son (as was supposed) of Joseph, the son of Heli,
- the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, the son of Melchi, the son of Jannai, the son of Joseph,
- the son of Mattathias, the son of Amos, the son of Nahum, the son of Esli, the son of Naggai,
- the son of Maath, the son of Mattathias, the son of Semein, the son of Joseph, the son of Judah,
- the son of Joanan, the son of Rhesa, the son of Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel, the son of Neri,
- the son of Melchi, the son of Addi, the son of Cosam, the son of Elmodam, the son of Er,
- the son of Jose, the son of Eliezer, the son of Jorim, the son of Matthat, the son of Levi,
- the son of Simeon, the son of Judah, the son of Joseph, the son of Jonan, the son of Eliakim,
- the son of Melea, the son of Menan, the son of Mattatha, the son of Nathan, the son of David,
- the son of Jesse, the son of Obed, the son of Boaz, the son of Salmon, the son of Nahshon,
- the son of Amminadab, the son of Aram, the son of Hezron, the son of Perez, the son of Judah,
- the son of Jacob, the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham, the son of Terah, the son of Nahor,
- the son of Serug, the son of Reu, the son of Peleg, the son of Eber, the son of Shelah,
- the son of Cainan, the son of Arphaxad, the son of Shem, the son of Noah, the son of Lamech,
- the son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch, the son of Jared, the son of Mahalaleel, the son of Cainan,
- the son of Enos, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.
|Luke 3 Text (Hebrew)
- בשנת חמש עשרה למלכות הקיסר טיבריוס בהיות פונטיוס פילטוס הגמון ביהודה והורדוס שר רבע על הגליל ואחיו פילפוס שר רבע על מדינות יטור וטרכונה ולוסניס שר רבע על אבילין׃
- בימי הכהנים הגדולים חנן וקיפא היה דבר אלהים אל יוחנן בן זכריה במדבר׃
- ויבא אל כל ככר הירדן ויקרא טבילת התשובה לסליחת החטאים׃
- ככתוב בספר דברי ישעיהו הנביא קול קורא במדבר פנו דרך יהוה ישרו מסלותיו׃
- כל גיא ינשא וכל הר וגבעה ישפלו והיה העקב למישור והרכסים לבקעה׃
- וראו כל בשר את ישועת אלהים׃
- ויאמר אל המון העם היצאים להטבל על ידו אתם ילדי הצפעונים מי הורה אתכם להמלט מפני הקצף הבא׃
- לכן עשו פרי הראוי לתשובה ואל תדמו בנפשכם לאמר אברהם הוא אבינו כי אני אמר לכם כי מן האבנים האלה יכל האלהים להקים בנים לאברהם׃
- וכבר הושם הגרזן על שרש העצים והנה כל עץ אשר איננו עשה פרי טוב יגדע והשלך באש׃
- וישאלהו המון העם לאמר מה אפוא נעשה׃
- ויען ויאמר אליהם מי אשר לו כתנות שתים הוא יחלק לאשר אין לו ומי אשר לו מזון ככה יעשה גם הוא׃
- ויבאו גם מוכסים להטבל ויאמרו אליו רבי מה נעשה׃
- ויאמר אליהם אל תגבו יותר מחקכם׃
- וישאלהו גם אנשי הצבא לאמר ואנחנו מה נעשה ויאמר אליהם איש אל תזעזעו ואל תלשינו איש ויהי די לכם בשכרכם׃
- ויהי כאשר חכה העם וכלם חשבים בלבם לאמר אולי יוחנן הוא המשיח׃
- ויען יוחנן ויאמר לכלם הן אני טובל אתכם במים אבל בוא יבוא החזק ממני אשר אינני כדי להתיר את שרוך נעליו הוא יטבל אתכם ברוח הקדש ובאש׃
- אשר המזרה בידו להבר את גרנו ויאסף את דגנו אל אוצרו ואת המץ ישרפנו באש אשר לא תכבה׃
- וכן עוד דברים אחרים הרבה בשר וגם הזהיר את העם׃
- והורדוס שר רבע המדינה אשר הוכח על ידו על אדות הורודיה אשת אחיו פילפוס ועל אדות כל הרע אשר עשה הורדוס׃
- הוסיף על כל אלה גם את זאת ויסגר את יוחנן במשמר׃
- ויהי בהטבל כל העם וגם ישוע נטבל ומתפלל ויפתחו השמים׃
- וירד עליו רוח הקדש בדמות גוף כיונה ויהי קול מן השמים ויאמר אתה בני ידידי בך רצתה נפשי׃
- והוא ישוע בהחלו היה כבן שלשים שנה ויחשבהו לבן יוסף בן עלי׃
- בן מתת בן לוי בן מלכי בן יני בן יוסף׃
- בן מתתיה בן אמוץ בן נחום בן חסלי בן נגי׃
- בן מחת בן מתתיה בן שמעי בן יוסף בן יודה׃
- בן יוחנן בן רישא בן זרבלל בן שאלתיאל בן גרי׃
- בן מלכי בן אדי בן קוסם בן אלמדם בן ער׃
- בן יוסי בן אליעזר בן יורים בן מתת בן לוי׃
- בן שמעון בן יהודה בן יוסף בן יונם בן אליקים׃
- בן מליא בן מינא בן מתתה בן נתן בן דוד׃
- בן ישי בן עובד בן בעז בן שלמון בן נחשון׃
- בן עמינדב בן ארם בן חצרון בן פרץ בן יהודה׃
- בן יעקב בן יצחק בן אברהם בן תרח בן נחור׃
- בן שרוג בן רעו בן פלג בן עבר בן שלח׃
- בן קינן בן ארפכשד בן שם בן נח בן למך׃
- בן מתושלח בן חנוך בן ירד בן מהללאל בן קינן׃
- בן אנוש בן שת בן אדם בן אלהים׃
|Luke 3 Text (Latin)
- Anno autem quintodecimo imperii Tiberii Cæsaris, procurante Pontio Pilato Judæam, tetrarcha autem Galiææ Herode, Philippo autem fratre ejus tetrarcha Iturææ, et Trachonitidis regionis, et Lysania Abilinæ tetrarcha,
- sub principibus sacerdotum Anna et Caipha : factum est verbum Domini super Joannem, Zachariæ filium, in deserto.
- Et venit in omnem regionem Jordanis, prædicans baptismum pœnitentiæ in remissionem peccatorum,
- sicut scriptum est in libro sermonum Isaiæ prophetæ : Vox clamantis in deserto : Parate viam Domini ; rectas facite semitas ejus :
- omnis vallis implebitur, et omnis mons, et collis humiliabitur : et erunt prava in directa, et aspera in vias planas :
- et videbit omnis caro salutare Dei.
- Dicebat ergo ad turbas quæ exibant ut baptizarentur ab ipso : Genimina viperarum, quis ostendit vobis fugere a ventura ira ?
- Facite ergo fructus dignos pœnitentiæ, et ne cœperitis dicere : Patrem habemus Abraham. Dico enim vobis quia potens est Deus de lapidibus istis suscitare filios Abrahæ.
- Jam enim securis ad radicem arborum posita est. Omnis ergo arbor non faciens fructum bonum, excidetur, et in ignem mittetur.
- Et interrogabant eum turbæ, dicentes : Quid ergo faciemus ?
- Respondens autem dicebat illis : Qui habet duas tunicas, det non habenti : et qui habet escas, similiter faciat.
- Venerunt autem et publicani ut baptizarentur, et dixerunt ad illum : Magister, quid faciemus ?
- At ille dixit ad eos : Nihil amplius, quam quod constitutum est vobis, faciatis.
- Interrogabant autem eum et milites, dicentes : Quid faciemus et nos ? Et ait illis : Neminem concutiatis, neque calumniam faciatis : et contenti estote stipendiis vestris.
- Existimante autem populo, et cogitantibus omnibus in cordibus suis de Joanne, ne forte ipse esset Christus,
- respondit Joannes, dicens omnibus : Ego quidem aqua baptizo vos : veniet autem fortior me, cujus non sum dignus solvere corrigiam calceamentorum ejus : ipse vos baptizabit in Spiritu Sancto et igni :
- cujus ventilabrum in manu ejus, et purgabit aream suam, et congregabit triticum in horreum suum, paleas autem comburet igni inextinguibili.
- Multa quidem et alia exhortans evangelizabat populo.
- Herodes autem tetrarcha cum corriperetur ab illo de Herodiade uxore fratris sui, et de omnibus malis quæ fecit Herodes,
- adjecit et hoc super omnia, et inclusit Joannem in carcere.
- Factum est autem cum baptizaretur omnis populus, et Jesu baptizato, et orante, apertum est cælum :
- et descendit Spiritus Sanctus corporali specie sicut columba in ipsum : et vox de cælo facta est : Tu es filius meus dilectus, in te complacui mihi.
- Et ipse Jesus erat incipiens quasi annorum triginta, ut putabatur, filius Joseph, qui fuit Heli, qui fuit Mathat,
- qui fuit Levi, qui fuit Melchi, qui fuit Janne, qui fuit Joseph,
- qui fuit Mathathiæ, qui fuit Amos, qui fuit Nahum, qui fuit Hesli, qui fuit Nagge,
- qui fuit Mahath, qui fuit Mathathiæ, qui fuit Semei, qui fuit Joseph, qui fuit Juda,
- qui fuit Joanna, qui fuit Resa, qui fuit Zorobabel, qui fuit Salatheil, qui fuit Neri,
- qui fuit Melchi, qui fuit Addi, qui fuit Cosan, qui fuit Elmadan, qui fuit Her,
- qui fuit Jesu, qui fuit Eliezer, qui fuit Jorim, qui fuit Mathat, qui fuit Levi,
- qui fuit Simeon, qui fuit Juda, qui fuit Joseph, qui fuit Jona, qui fuit Eliakim,
- qui fuit Melea, qui fuit Menna, qui fuit Mathatha, qui fuit Natham, qui fuit David,
- qui fuit Jesse, qui fuit Obed, qui fuit Booz, qui fuit Salmon, qui fuit Naasson,
- qui fuit Aminadab, qui fuit Aram, qui fuit Esron, qui fuit Phares, qui fuit Judæ,
- qui fuit Jacob, qui fuit Isaac, qui fuit Abrahæ, qui fuit Thare, qui fuit Nachor,
- qui fuit Sarug, qui fuit Ragau, qui fuit Phaleg, qui fuit Heber, qui fuit Sale,
- qui fuit Cainan, qui fuit Arphaxad, qui fuit Sem, qui fuit Noë, qui fuit Lamech,
- qui fuit Methusale, qui fuit Henoch, qui fuit Jared, qui fuit Malaleel, qui fuit Cainan,
- qui fuit Henos, qui fuit Seth, qui fuit Adam, qui fuit Dei.
|Luke 3 Text (KJV)
- Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judaea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of Ituraea and of the region of Trachonitis, and Lysanias the tetrarch of Abilene,
- Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.
- And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;
- As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
- Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth;
- And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.
- Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
- Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
- And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
- And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then?
- He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.
- Then came also publicans to be baptized, and said unto him, Master, what shall we do?
- And he said unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you.
- And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.
- And as the people were in expectation, and all men mused in their hearts of John, whether he were the Christ, or not;
- John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:
- Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.
- And many other things in his exhortation preached he unto the people.
- But Herod the tetrarch, being reproved by him for Herodias his brother Philip's wife, and for all the evils which Herod had done,
- Added yet this above all, that he shut up John in prison.
- Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,
- And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.
- And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,
- Which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Janna, which was the son of Joseph,
- Which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Amos, which was the son of Naum, which was the son of Esli, which was the son of Nagge,
- Which was the son of Maath, which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Semei, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Juda,
- Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of Zorobabel, which was the son of Salathiel, which was the son of Neri,
- Which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Addi, which was the son of Cosam, which was the son of Elmodam, which was the son of Er,
- Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi,
- Which was the son of Simeon, which was the son of Juda, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Jonan, which was the son of Eliakim,
- Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,
- Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson,
- Which was the son of Aminadab, which was the son of Aram, which was the son of Esrom, which was the son of Phares, which was the son of Juda,
- Which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham, which was the son of Thara, which was the son of Nachor,
- Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala,
- Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech,
- Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,
- Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.