| Leviticus 21 - Versions
| Leviticus 21 Text (WEB)
- Yahweh said to Moses, "Speak to the priests, the sons of Aaron, and say to them, 'A priest shall not defile himself for the dead among his people;
- except for his relatives that are near to him: for his mother, for his father, for his son, for his daughter, for his brother,
- and for his virgin sister who is near to him, who has had no husband; for her he may defile himself.
- He shall not defile himself, being a chief man among his people, to profane himself.
- "'They shall not shave their heads, neither shall they shave off the corners of their beards, nor make any cuttings in their flesh.
- They shall be holy to their God, and not profane the name of their God; for they offer the offerings of Yahweh made by fire, the bread of their God; therefore they shall be holy.
- "'They shall not marry a woman who is a prostitute, or profane; neither shall they marry a woman divorced from her husband: for he is holy to his God.
- You shall sanctify him therefore; for he offers the bread of your God: he shall be holy to you: for I Yahweh, who sanctify you, am holy.
- "'The daughter of any priest, if she profanes herself by playing the prostitute, she profanes her father: she shall be burned with fire.
- "'He who is the high priest among his brothers, upon whose head the anointing oil is poured, and that is consecrated to put on the garments, shall not let the hair of his head hang loose, nor tear his clothes;
- neither shall he go in to any dead body, nor defile himself for his father, or for his mother;
- neither shall he go out of the sanctuary, nor profane the sanctuary of his God; for the crown of the anointing oil of his God is upon him. I am Yahweh.
- "'He shall take a wife in her virginity.
- A widow, or one divorced, or a woman who has been defiled, or a prostitute, these he shall not marry: but a virgin of his own people shall he take as a wife.
- He shall not profane his seed among his people: for I am Yahweh who sanctifies him.'"
- Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying,
- "Say to Aaron, 'None of your seed throughout their generations who has a blemish, may approach to offer the bread of his God.
- For whatever man he is that has a blemish, he shall not draw near: a blind man, or a lame, or he who has a flat nose, or any deformity,
- or a man who has an injured foot, or an injured hand,
- or hunchbacked, or a dwarf, or one who has a defect in his eye, or an itching disease, or scabs, or who has damaged testicles;
- no man of the seed of Aaron the priest who has a blemish, shall come near to offer the offerings of Yahweh made by fire. Since he has a blemish, he shall not come near to offer the bread of his God.
- He shall eat the bread of his God, both of the most holy, and of the holy.
- He shall not come near to the veil, nor come near to the altar, because he has a blemish; that he may not profane my sanctuaries, for I am Yahweh who sanctifies them.'"
- So Moses spoke to Aaron, and to his sons, and to all the children of Israel.
| Leviticus 21 Text (Hebrew)
- ויאמר יהוה אל־משה אמר אל־הכהנים בני אהרן ואמרת אלהם לנפש לא־יטמא בעמיו׃
- כי אם־לשארו הקרב אליו לאמו ולאביו ולבנו ולבתו ולאחיו׃
- ולאחתו הבתולה הקרובה אליו אשר לא־היתה לאיש לה יטמא׃
- לא יטמא בעל בעמיו להחלו׃
- לא־ קרחה בראשם ופאת זקנם לא יגלחו ובבשרם לא ישרטו שרטת׃
- קדשים יהיו לאלהיהם ולא יחללו שם אלהיהם כי את־אשי יהוה לחם אלהיהם הם מקריבם והיו קדש׃
- אשה זנה וחללה לא יקחו ואשה גרושה מאישה לא יקחו כי־קדש הוא לאלהיו׃
- וקדשתו כי־את־לחם אלהיך הוא מקריב קדש יהיה־לך כי קדוש אני יהוה מקדשכם׃
- ובת איש כהן כי תחל לזנות את־אביה היא מחללת באש תשרף׃ ס
- והכהן הגדול מאחיו אשר־יוצק על־ראשו שמן המשחה ומלא את־ידו ללבש את־הבגדים את־ראשו לא יפרע ובגדיו לא יפרם׃
- ועל כל־נפשת מת לא יבא לאביו ולאמו לא יטמא׃
- ומן־המקדש לא יצא ולא יחלל את מקדש אלהיו כי נזר שמן משחת אלהיו עליו אני יהוה׃
- והוא אשה בבתוליה יקח׃
- אלמנה וגרושה וחללה זנה את־אלה לא יקח כי אם־בתולה מעמיו יקח אשה׃
- ולא־יחלל זרעו בעמיו כי אני יהוה מקדשו׃ ף
- וידבר יהוה אל־משה לאמר׃
- דבר אל־אהרן לאמר איש מזרעך לדרתם אשר יהיה בו מום לא יקרב להקריב לחם אלהיו׃
- כי כל־איש אשר־בו מום לא יקרב איש עור או פסח או חרם או שרוע׃
- או איש אשר־יהיה בו שבר רגל או שבר יד׃
- או־גבן או־דק או תבלל בעינו או גרב או ילפת או מרוח אשך׃
- כל־איש אשר־בו מום מזרע אהרן הכהן לא יגש להקריב את־אשי יהוה מום בו את לחם אלהיו לא יגש להקריב׃
- לחם אלהיו מקדשי הקדשים ומן־הקדשים יאכל׃
- אך אל־הפרכת לא יבא ואל־המזבח לא יגש כי־מום בו ולא יחלל את־מקדשי כי אני יהוה מקדשם׃
- וידבר משה אל־אהרן ואל־בניו ואל־כל־בני ישראל׃ ף
| Leviticus 21 Text (Latin)
- Dixit quoque Dominus ad Moysen : Loquere ad sacerdotes filios Aaron, et dices ad eos : Ne contaminetur sacerdos in mortibus civium suorum,
- nisi tantum in consanguineis, ac propinquis, id est, super patre et matre, et filio, et filia, fratre quoque,
- et sorore virgine quæ non est nupta viro :
- sed nec in principe populi sui contaminabitur.
- Non radent caput, nec barbam, neque in carnibus suis facient incisuras.
- Sancti erunt Deo suo, et non polluent nomen ejus : incensum enim Domini, et panes Dei sui offerunt, et ideo sancti erunt.
- Scortum et vile prostibulum non ducent uxorem, nec eam quæ repudiata est a marito : quia consecrati sunt Deo suo,
- et panes propositionis offerunt. Sint ergo sancti, quia et ego sanctus sum, Dominus qui sanctifico eos.
- Sacerdotis filia si deprehensa fuerit in stupro, et violaverit nomen patris sui, flammis exuretur.
- Pontifex, id est, sacerdos maximus inter fratres suos, super cujus caput fusum est unctionis oleum, et cujus manus in sacerdotio consecratæ sunt, vestitusque est sanctis vestibus, caput suum non discooperiet, vestimenta non scindet :
- et ad omnem mortuum non ingredietur omnino : super patre quoque suo et matre non contaminabitur.
- Nec egredietur de sanctis, ne polluat sanctuarium Domini, quia oleum sanctæ unctionis Dei sui super eum est. Ego Dominus.
- Virginem ducet uxorem :
- viduam autem et repudiatam, et sordidam, atque meretricem non accipiet, sed puellam de populo suo :
- ne commisceat stirpem generis sui vulgo gentis suæ : quia ego Dominus, qui sanctifico eum.
- Locutusque est Dominus ad Moysen, dicens :
- Loquere ad Aaron : Homo de semine tuo per familias qui habuerit maculam, non offeret panes Deo suo,
- nec accedet ad ministerium ejus : si cæcus fuerit, si claudus, si parvo vel grandi, vel torto naso,
- si fracto pede, si manu,
- si gibbus, si lippus, si albuginem habens in oculo, si jugem scabiem, si impetiginem in corpore, vel herniosus.
- Omnis qui habuerit maculam de semine Aaron sacerdotis, non accedet offerre hostias Domino, nec panes Deo suo :
- vescetur tamen panibus qui offeruntur in sanctuario,
- ita dumtaxat, ut intra velum non ingrediatur, nec accedat ad altare, quia maculam habet, et contaminare non debet sanctuarium meum. Ego Dominus qui sanctifico eos.
- Locutus est ergo Moyses ad Aaron, et ad filios ejus, et ad omnem Israël cuncta quæ fuerant sibi imperata.
| Leviticus 21 Text (KJV)
- And the LORD said unto Moses, Speak unto the priests the sons of Aaron, and say unto them, There shall none be defiled for the dead among his people:
- But for his kin, that is near unto him, that is, for his mother, and for his father, and for his son, and for his daughter, and for his brother,
- And for his sister a virgin, that is nigh unto him, which hath had no husband; for her may he be defiled.
- But he shall not defile himself, being a chief man among his people, to profane himself.
- They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in their flesh.
- They shall be holy unto their God, and not profane the name of their God: for the offerings of the LORD made by fire, and the bread of their God, they do offer: therefore they shall be holy.
- They shall not take a wife that is a whore, or profane; neither shall they take a woman put away from her husband: for he is holy unto his God.
- Thou shalt sanctify him therefore; for he offereth the bread of thy God: he shall be holy unto thee: for I the LORD, which sanctify you, am holy.
- And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire.
- And he that is the high priest among his brethren, upon whose head the anointing oil was poured, and that is consecrated to put on the garments, shall not uncover his head, nor rend his clothes;
- Neither shall he go in to any dead body, nor defile himself for his father, or for his mother;
- Neither shall he go out of the sanctuary, nor profane the sanctuary of his God; for the crown of the anointing oil of his God is upon him: I am the LORD.
- And he shall take a wife in her virginity.
- A widow, or a divorced woman, or profane, or an harlot, these shall he not take: but he shall take a virgin of his own people to wife.
- Neither shall he profane his seed among his people: for I the LORD do sanctify him.
- And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
- Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God.
- For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous,
- Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded,
- Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken;
- No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the LORD made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God.
- He shall eat the bread of his God, both of the most holy, and of the holy.
- Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries: for I the LORD do sanctify them.
- And Moses told it unto Aaron, and to his sons, and unto all the children of Israel.