| Lamentations 4 - Versions
| Lamentations 4 Text (WEB)
- How is the gold become dim! [how] is the most pure gold changed! The stones of the sanctuary are poured out at the head of every street.
- The precious sons of Zion, comparable to fine gold, How are they esteemed as earthen pitchers, the work of the hands of the potter!
- Even the jackals draw out the breast, they nurse their young ones: The daughter of my people has become cruel, like the ostriches in the wilderness.
- The tongue of the nursing child clings to the roof of his mouth for thirst: The young children ask bread, and no man breaks it to them.
- Those who did feed delicately are desolate in the streets: Those who were brought up in scarlet embrace dunghills.
- For the iniquity of the daughter of my people is greater than the sin of Sodom, That was overthrown as in a moment, and no hands were laid on her.
- Her nobles were purer than snow, they were whiter than milk; They were more ruddy in body than rubies, their polishing was as of sapphire.
- Their appearance is blacker than a coal; they are not known in the streets: Their skin clings to their bones; it is withered, it is become like a stick.
- Those who are killed with the sword are better than those who are killed with hunger; For these pine away, stricken through, for want of the fruits of the field.
- The hands of the pitiful women have boiled their own children; They were their food in the destruction of the daughter of my people.
- Yahweh has accomplished his wrath, he has poured out his fierce anger; He has kindled a fire in Zion, which has devoured its foundations.
- The kings of the earth didn't believe, neither all the inhabitants of the world, That the adversary and the enemy would enter into the gates of Jerusalem.
- [It is] because of the sins of her prophets, [and] the iniquities of her priests, That have shed the blood of the just in the midst of her.
- They wander as blind men in the streets, they are polluted with blood, So that men can't touch their garments.
- Depart! they cried to them, Unclean! depart, depart, don't touch! When they fled away and wandered, men said among the nations, They shall no more live [here].
- The anger of Yahweh has scattered them; he will no more regard them: They didn't respect the persons of the priests, they didn't favor the elders.
- Our eyes do yet fail [in looking] for our vain help: In our watching we have watched for a nation that could not save.
- They hunt our steps, so that we can't go in our streets: Our end is near, our days are fulfilled; for our end is come.
- Our pursuers were swifter than the eagles of the sky: They chased us on the mountains, they laid wait for us in the wilderness.
- The breath of our nostrils, the anointed of Yahweh, was taken in their pits; Of whom we said, Under his shadow we shall live among the nations.
- Rejoice and be glad, daughter of Edom, that dwell in the land of Uz: The cup shall pass through to you also; you shall be drunken, and shall make yourself naked.
- The punishment of your iniquity is accomplished, daughter of Zion; he will no more carry you away into captivity: He will visit your iniquity, daughter of Edom; he will uncover your sins.
| Lamentations 4 Text (Hebrew)
- איכה יועם זהב ישנא הכתם הטוב תשתפכנה אבני־קדש בראש כל־חוצות׃ ס
- בני ציון היקרים המסלאים בפז איכה נחשבו לנבלי־חרש מעשה ידי יוצר׃ ס
- גם־ חלצו שד היניקו גוריהן בת־עמי לאכזר במדבר׃ ס
- דבק לשון יונק אל־חכו בצמא עוללים שאלו לחם פרש אין להם׃ ס
- האכלים למעדנים נשמו בחוצות האמנים עלי תולע חבקו אשפתות׃ ס
- ויגדל עון בת־עמי מחטאת סדם ההפוכה כמו־רגע ולא־חלו בה ידים׃ ס
- זכו נזיריה משלג צחו מחלב אדמו עצם מפנינים ספיר גזרתם׃ ס
- חשך משחור תארם לא נכרו בחוצות צפד עורם על־עצםם יבש היה כעץ׃ ס
- טובים היו חללי־חרב מחללי רעב שהם יזובו מדקרים מתנובת שדי׃ ס
- ידי נשים רחמניות בשלו ילדיהן היו לברות למו בשבר בת־עמי׃ ס
- כלה יהוה את־חמתו שפך חרון אפו ויצת־אש בציון ותאכל יסודתיה׃ ס
- לא האמינו מלכי־ארץ ישבי תבל כי יבא צר ואויב בשערי ירושלם׃ ס
- מחטאת נביאיה עונות כהניה השפכים בקרבה דם צדיקים׃ ס
- נעו עורים בחוצות נגאלו בדם בלא יוכלו יגעו בלבשיהם׃ ס
- סורו טמא קראו למו סורו סורו אל־תגעו כי נצו גם־נעו אמרו בגוים לא יוסיפו לגור׃ ס
- פני יהוה חלקם לא יוסיף להביטם פני כהנים לא נשאו לא חננו׃ ס
- תכלינה עינינו אל־עזרתנו הבל בצפיתנו צפינו אל־גוי לא יושע׃ ס
- צדו צעדינו מלכת ברחבתינו קרב קצינו מלאו ימינו כי־בא קצינו׃ ס
- קלים היו רדפינו מנשרי שמים על־ההרים דלקנו במדבר ארבו לנו׃ ס
- רוח אפינו משיח יהוה נלכד בשחיתותם אשר אמרנו בצלו נחיה בגוים׃ ס
- שישי ושמחי בת־אדום בארץ עוץ גם־עליך תעבר־כוס תשכרי ותתערי׃ ס
- תם־עונך בת־ציון לא יוסיף להגלותך פקד עונך בת־אדום גלה על־חטאתיך׃ ף
| Lamentations 4 Text (Latin)
- ALEPH. Quomodo obscuratum est aurum, mutatus est color optimus ! dispersi sunt lapides sanctuarii in capite omnium platearum !
- BETH. Filii Sion inclyti, et amicti auro primo : quomodo reputati sunt in vasa testea, opus manuum figuli !
- GHIMEL. Sed et lamiæ nudaverunt mammam, lactaverunt catulos suos : filia populi mei crudelis quasi struthio in deserto.
- DALETH. Adhæsit lingua lactentis ad palatum ejus in siti ; parvuli petierunt panem, et non erat qui frangeret eis.
- HE. Qui vescebantur voluptuose, interierunt in viis ; qui nutriebantur in croceis, amplexati sunt stercora.
- VAU. Et major effecta est iniquitas filiæ populi mei peccato Sodomorum, quæ subversa est in momento, et non ceperunt in ea manus.
- ZAIN. Candidiores Nazaræi ejus nive, nitidiores lacte, rubicundiores ebore antiquo, sapphiro pulchriores.
- HETH. Denigrata est super carbones facies eorum et non sunt cogniti in plateis ; adhæsit cutis eorum ossibus : aruit, et facta est quasi lignum.
- TETH. Melius fuit occisis gladio quam interfectis fame, quoniam isti extabuerunt consumpti a sterilitate terræ.
- JOD. Manus mulierum misericordium coxerunt filios suos ; facti sunt cibus earum in contritione filiæ populi mei.
- CAPH. Complevit Dominus furorem suum, effudit iram indignationis suæ : et succendit ignem in Sion, et devoravit fundamenta ejus.
- LAMED. Non crediderunt reges terræ, et universi habitatores orbis, quoniam ingrederetur hostis et inimicus per portas Jerusalem.
- MEM. Propter peccata prophetarum ejus, et iniquitates sacerdotum ejus, qui effuderunt in medio ejus sanguinem justorum.
- NUN. Erraverunt cæci in plateis, polluti sunt in sanguine ; cumque non possent, tenuerunt lacinias suas.
- SAMECH. Recedite polluti, clamaverunt eis ; recedite, abite, nolite tangere : jurgati quippe sunt, et commoti dixerunt inter gentes : Non addet ultra ut habitet in eis.
- PHE. Facies Domini divisit eos, non addet ut respiciat eos ; facies sacerdotum non erubuerunt, neque senum miserti sunt.
- AIN. Cum adhuc subsisteremus, defecerunt oculi nostri ad auxilium nostrum vanum ; cum respiceremus attenti ad gentem quæ salvare non poterat.
- SADE. Lubricaverunt vestigia nostra in itinere platearum nostrarum ; appropinquavit finis noster, completi sunt dies nostri, quia venit finis noster.
- COPH. Velociores fuerunt persecutores nostri aquilis cæli ; super montes persecuti sunt nos, in deserto insidiati sunt nobis.
- RES. Spiritus oris nostri, Christus Dominus, captus est in peccatis nostris, cui diximus : In umbra tua vivemus in gentibus.
- SIN. Gaude et lætare, filia Edom, quæ habitas in terra Hus ! ad te quoque perveniet calix : inebriaberis, atque nudaberis.
- THAU. Completa est iniquitas tua, filia Sion : non addet ultra ut transmigret te. Visitavit iniquitatem tuam, filia Edom ; discooperuit peccata tua.
| Lamentations 4 Text (KJV)
- How is the gold become dim! how is the most fine gold changed! the stones of the sanctuary are poured out in the top of every street.
- The precious sons of Zion, comparable to fine gold, how are they esteemed as earthen pitchers, the work of the hands of the potter!
- Even the sea monsters draw out the breast, they give suck to their young ones: the daughter of my people is become cruel, like the ostriches in the wilderness.
- The tongue of the sucking child cleaveth to the roof of his mouth for thirst: the young children ask bread, and no man breaketh it unto them.
- They that did feed delicately are desolate in the streets: they that were brought up in scarlet embrace dunghills.
- For the punishment of the iniquity of the daughter of my people is greater than the punishment of the sin of Sodom, that was overthrown as in a moment, and no hands stayed on her.
- Her Nazarites were purer than snow, they were whiter than milk, they were more ruddy in body than rubies, their polishing was of sapphire:
- Their visage is blacker than a coal; they are not known in the streets: their skin cleaveth to their bones; it is withered, it is become like a stick.
- They that be slain with the sword are better than they that be slain with hunger: for these pine away, stricken through for want of the fruits of the field.
- The hands of the pitiful women have sodden their own children: they were their meat in the destruction of the daughter of my people.
- The LORD hath accomplished his fury; he hath poured out his fierce anger, and hath kindled a fire in Zion, and it hath devoured the foundations thereof.
- The kings of the earth, and all the inhabitants of the world, would not have believed that the adversary and the enemy should have entered into the gates of Jerusalem.
- For the sins of her prophets, and the iniquities of her priests, that have shed the blood of the just in the midst of her,
- They have wandered as blind men in the streets, they have polluted themselves with blood, so that men could not touch their garments.
- They cried unto them, Depart ye; it is unclean; depart, depart, touch not: when they fled away and wandered, they said among the heathen, They shall no more sojourn there.
- The anger of the LORD hath divided them; he will no more regard them: they respected not the persons of the priests, they favoured not the elders.
- As for us, our eyes as yet failed for our vain help: in our watching we have watched for a nation that could not save us.
- They hunt our steps, that we cannot go in our streets: our end is near, our days are fulfilled; for our end is come.
- Our persecutors are swifter than the eagles of the heaven: they pursued us upon the mountains, they laid wait for us in the wilderness.
- The breath of our nostrils, the anointed of the LORD, was taken in their pits, of whom we said, Under his shadow we shall live among the heathen.
- Rejoice and be glad, O daughter of Edom, that dwellest in the land of Uz; the cup also shall pass through unto thee: thou shalt be drunken, and shalt make thyself naked.
- The punishment of thine iniquity is accomplished, O daughter of Zion; he will no more carry thee away into captivity: he will visit thine iniquity, O daughter of Edom; he will discover thy sins.