| Lamentations 2 - Versions
| Lamentations 2 Text (WEB)
- How has the Lord covered the daughter of Zion with a cloud in his anger! He has cast down from heaven to the earth the beauty of Israel, And hasn't remembered his footstool in the day of his anger.
- The Lord has swallowed up all the habitations of Jacob, and has not pitied: He has thrown down in his wrath the strongholds of the daughter of Judah; He has brought them down to the ground; he has profaned the kingdom and its princes.
- He has cut off in fierce anger all the horn of Israel; He has drawn back his right hand from before the enemy: He has burned up Jacob like a flaming fire, which devours all around.
- He has bent his bow like an enemy, he has stood with his right hand as an adversary, Has killed all that were pleasant to the eye: In the tent of the daughter of Zion he has poured out his wrath like fire.
- The Lord is become as an enemy, he has swallowed up Israel; He has swallowed up all her palaces, he has destroyed his strongholds; He has multiplied in the daughter of Judah mourning and lamentation.
- He has violently taken away his tabernacle, as if it were of a garden; he has destroyed his place of assembly: Yahweh has caused solemn assembly and Sabbath to be forgotten in Zion, Has despised in the indignation of his anger the king and the priest.
- The Lord has cast off his altar, he has abhorred his sanctuary; He has given up into the hand of the enemy the walls of her palaces: They have made a noise in the house of Yahweh, as in the day of a solemn assembly.
- Yahweh has purposed to destroy the wall of the daughter of Zion; He has stretched out the line, he has not withdrawn his hand from destroying; He has made the rampart and wall to lament; they languish together.
- Her gates are sunk into the ground; he has destroyed and broken her bars: Her king and her princes are among the nations where the law is not; Yes, her prophets find no vision from Yahweh.
- The elders of the daughter of Zion sit on the ground, they keep silence; They have cast up dust on their heads; they have clothed themselves with sackcloth: The virgins of Jerusalem hang down their heads to the ground.
- My eyes do fail with tears, my heart is troubled; My liver is poured on the earth, because of the destruction of the daughter of my people, Because the young children and the infants swoon in the streets of the city.
- They tell their mothers, Where is grain and wine? When they swoon as the wounded in the streets of the city, When their soul is poured out into their mothers' bosom.
- What shall I testify to you? what shall I liken to you, daughter of Jerusalem? What shall I compare to you, that I may comfort you, virgin daughter of Zion? For your breach is great like the sea: who can heal you?
- Your prophets have seen for you false and foolish visions; They have not uncovered your iniquity, to bring back your captivity, but have seen for you false oracles and causes of banishment.
- All that pass by clap their hands at you. They hiss and wag their head at the daughter of Jerusalem, [saying], Is this the city that men called The perfection of beauty, The joy of the whole earth?
- All your enemies have opened their mouth wide against you; They hiss and gnash the teeth; they say, We have swallowed her up; Certainly this is the day that we looked for; we have found, we have seen it.
- Yahweh has done that which he purposed; he has fulfilled his word that he commanded in the days of old; He has thrown down, and has not pitied: He has caused the enemy to rejoice over you; he has exalted the horn of your adversaries.
- Their heart cried to the Lord: wall of the daughter of Zion, let tears run down like a river day and night; Give yourself no respite; don't let the apple of your eye cease.
- Arise, cry out in the night, at the beginning of the watches; Pour out your heart like water before the face of the Lord: Lift up your hands toward him for the life of your young children, that faint for hunger at the head of every street.
- Look, Yahweh, and see to whom you have done thus! Shall the women eat their fruit, the children that are dandled in the hands? Shall the priest and the prophet be killed in the sanctuary of the Lord?
- The youth and the old man lie on the ground in the streets; My virgins and my young men are fallen by the sword: You have killed them in the day of your anger; you have slaughtered, [and] not pitied.
- You have called, as in the day of a solemn assembly, my terrors on every side; There was none that escaped or remained in the day of Yahweh's anger: Those that I have dandled and brought up has my enemy consumed.
| Lamentations 2 Text (Hebrew)
- איכה יעיב באפו אדני את־בת־ציון השליך משמים ארץ תפארת ישראל ולא־זכר הדם־רגליו ביום אפו׃ ס
- בלע אדני חמל את כל־נאות יעקב הרס בעברתו מבצרי בת־יהודה הגיע לארץ חלל ממלכה ושריה׃ ס
- גדע בחרי־אף כל קרן ישראל השיב אחור ימינו מפני אויב ויבער ביעקב כאש להבה אכלה סביב׃ ס
- דרך קשתו כאויב נצב ימינו כצר ויהרג כל מחמדי־עין באהל בת־ציון שפך כאש חמתו׃ ס
- היה אדני כאויב בלע ישראל בלע כל־ארמנותיה שחת מבצריו וירב בבת־יהודה תאניה ואניה׃ ס
- ויחמס כגן שכו שחת מועדו שכח יהוה בציון מועד ושבת וינאץ בזעם־אפו מלך וכהן׃ ס
- זנח אדני מזבחו נאר מקדשו הסגיר ביד־אויב חומת ארמנותיה קול נתנו בבית־יהוה כיום מועד׃ ס
- חשב יהוה להשחית חומת בת־ציון נטה קו לא־השיב ידו מבלע ויאבל־חל וחומה יחדו אמללו׃ ס
- טבעו בארץ שעריה אבד ושבר בריחיה מלכה ושריה בגוים אין תורה גם־נביאיה לא־מצאו חזון מיהוה׃ ס
- ישבו לארץ ידמו זקני בת־ציון העלו עפר על־ראשם חגרו שקים הורידו לארץ ראשן בתולת ירושלם׃ ס
- כלו בדמעות עיני חמרמרו מעי נשפך לארץ כבדי על־שבר בת־עמי בעטף עולל ויונק ברחבות קריה׃ ס
- לאמתם יאמרו איה דגן ויין בהתעטפם כחלל ברחבות עיר בהשתפך נפשם אל־חיק אמתם׃ ס
- מה־אעידך מה אדמה־לך הבת ירושלם מה אשוה־לך ואנחמך בתולת בת־ציון כי־גדול כים שברך מי ירפא־לך׃ ס
- נביאיך חזו לך שוא ותפל ולא־גלו על־עונך להשיב ויחזו לך משאות שוא ומדוחים׃ ס
- ספקו עליך כפים כל־עברי דרך שרקו וינעו ראשם על־בת ירושלם הזאת העיר שיאמרו כלילת יפי משוש לכל־הארץ׃ ס
- פצו עליך פיהם כל־אויביך שרקו ויחרקו־שן אמרו בלענו אך זה היום שקוינהו מצאנו ראינו׃ ס
- עשה יהוה אשר זםם בצע אמרתו אשר צוה מימי־קדם הרס ולא חמל וישמח עליך אויב הרים קרן צריך׃ ס
- צעק לבם אל־אדני חומת בת־ציון הורידי כנחל דמעה יוםם ולילה אל־תתני פוגת לך אל־תדם בת־עינך׃ ס
- קומי רני לראש אשמרות שפכי כמים לבך נכח פני אדני שאי אליו כפיך על־נפש עולליך העטופים ברעב בראש כל־חוצות׃ ס
- ראה יהוה והביטה למי עוללת כה אם־תאכלנה נשים פרים עללי טפחים אם־יהרג במקדש אדני כהן ונביא׃ ס
- שכבו לארץ חוצות נער וזקן בתולתי ובחורי נפלו בחרב הרגת ביום אפך טבחת לא חמלת׃ ס
- תקרא כיום מועד מגורי מסביב ולא היה ביום אף־יהוה פליט ושריד אשר־טפחתי ורביתי איבי כלם׃ ף
| Lamentations 2 Text (Latin)
- ALEPH. Quomodo obtexit caligine in furore suo Dominus filiam Sion ; projecit de cælo in terram inclytam Israël, et non est recordatus scabelli pedum suorum in die furoris sui !
- BETH. Præcipitavit Dominus, nec pepercit omnia speciosa Jacob : destruxit in furore suo muntiones virginis Juda, et dejecit in terram ; polluit regnum et principes ejus.
- GHIMEL. Confregit in ira furoris sui omne cornu Israël ; avertit retrorsum dexteram suam a facie inimici, et succendit in Jacob quasi ignem flammæ devorantis in gyro.
- DALETH. Tetendit arcum suum quasi inimicus, firmavit dexteram suam quasi hostis, et occidit omne quod pulchrum erat visu in tabernaculo filiæ Sion ; effudit quasi ignem indignationem suam.
- HE. Factus est Dominus velut inimicus, præcipitavit Israël : præcipitavit omnia mœnia ejus, dissipavit munitiones ejus, et replevit in filia Juda humiliatum et humiliatam.
- VAU. Et dissipavit quasi hortum tentorium suum ; demolitus est tabernaculum suum. Oblivioni tradidit Dominus in Sion festivitatem et sabbatum ; et in opprobrium, et in indignationem furoris sui, regem et sacerdotem.
- ZAIN. Repulit Dominus altare suum ; maledixit sanctificationi suæ : tradidit in manu inimici muros turrium ejus. Vocem dederunt in domo Domini sicut in die solemni.
- HETH. Cogitavit Dominus dissipare murum filiæ Sion ; tetendit funiculum suum, et non avertit manum suam a perditione : luxitque antemurale, et murus pariter dissipatus est.
- TETH. Defixæ sunt in terra portæ ejus, perdidit et contrivit vectes ejus ; regem ejus et principes ejus in gentibus : non est lex, et prophetæ ejus non invenerunt visionem a Domino.
- JOD. Sederunt in terra, conticuerunt senes filiæ Sion ; consperserunt cinere capita sua, accincti sunt ciliciis : abjecerunt in terram capita sua virgines Jerusalem.
- CAPH. Defecerunt præ lacrimis oculi mei, conturbata sunt viscera mea ; effusum est in terra jecur meum super contritione filiæ populi mei, cum deficeret parvulus et lactens in plateis oppidi.
- LAMED. Matribus suis dixerunt : Ubi est triticum et vinum ? cum deficerent quasi vulnerati in plateis civitatis, cum exhalarent animas suas in sinu matrum suarum.
- MEM. Cui comparabo te, vel cui assimilabo te, filia Jerusalem ? cui exæquabo te, et consolabor te, virgo, filia Sion ? magna est enim velut mare contritio tua : quis medebitur tui ?
- NUN. Prophetæ tui viderunt tibi falsa et stulta ; nec aperiebant iniquitatem tuam, ut te ad pœnitentiam provocarent ; viderunt autem tibi assumptiones falsas, et ejectiones.
- SAMECH. Plauserunt super te manibus omnes transeuntes per viam ; sibilaverunt et moverunt caput suum super filiam Jerusalem : Hæccine est urbs, dicentes, perfecti decoris, gaudium universæ terræ ?
- PHE. Aperuerunt super te os suum omnes inimici tui : sibilaverunt, et fremuerunt dentibus, et dixerunt : Devorabimus : en ista est dies quam exspectabamus ; invenimus, vidimus.
- AIN. Fecit Dominus quæ cogitavit ; complevit sermonem suum, quem præceperat a diebus antiquis : destruxit, et non pepercit, et lætificavit super te inimicum, et exaltavit cornu hostium tuorum.
- SADE. Clamavit cor eorum ad Dominum super muros filiæ Sion : Deduc quasi torrentem lacrimas per diem et noctem ; non des requiem tibi, neque taceat pupilla oculi tui.
- COPH. Consurge, lauda in nocte, in principio vigiliarum ; effunde sicut aquam cor tuum ante conspectum Domini : leva ad eum manus tuas pro anima parvulorum tuorum, qui defecerunt in fame in capite omnium compitorum.
- RES. Vide, Domine, et considera quem vindemiaveris ita. Ergone comedent mulieres fructum suum, parvulos ad mensuram palmæ ? si occiditur in sanctuario Domini sacerdos et propheta ?
- SIN. Jacuerunt in terra foris puer et senex ; virgines meæ et juvenes mei ceciderunt in gladio : interfecisti in die furoris tui, percussisti, nec misertus es.
- THAU. Vocasti quasi ad diem solemnem, qui terrerent me de circuitu ; et non fuit in die furoris Domini qui effugeret, et relinqueretur : quos educavi et enutrivi, inimicus meus consumpsit eos.
| Lamentations 2 Text (KJV)
- How hath the Lord covered the daughter of Zion with a cloud in his anger, and cast down from heaven unto the earth the beauty of Israel, and remembered not his footstool in the day of his anger!
- The Lord hath swallowed up all the habitations of Jacob, and hath not pitied: he hath thrown down in his wrath the strong holds of the daughter of Judah; he hath brought them down to the ground: he hath polluted the kingdom and the princes thereof.
- He hath cut off in his fierce anger all the horn of Israel: he hath drawn back his right hand from before the enemy, and he burned against Jacob like a flaming fire, which devoureth round about.
- He hath bent his bow like an enemy: he stood with his right hand as an adversary, and slew all that were pleasant to the eye in the tabernacle of the daughter of Zion: he poured out his fury like fire.
- The Lord was as an enemy: he hath swallowed up Israel, he hath swallowed up all her palaces: he hath destroyed his strong holds, and hath increased in the daughter of Judah mourning and lamentation.
- And he hath violently taken away his tabernacle, as if it were of a garden: he hath destroyed his places of the assembly: the LORD hath caused the solemn feasts and sabbaths to be forgotten in Zion, and hath despised in the indignation of his anger the king and the priest.
- The Lord hath cast off his altar, he hath abhorred his sanctuary, he hath given up into the hand of the enemy the walls of her palaces; they have made a noise in the house of the LORD, as in the day of a solemn feast.
- The LORD hath purposed to destroy the wall of the daughter of Zion: he hath stretched out a line, he hath not withdrawn his hand from destroying: therefore he made the rampart and the wall to lament; they languished together.
- Her gates are sunk into the ground; he hath destroyed and broken her bars: her king and her princes are among the Gentiles: the law is no more; her prophets also find no vision from the LORD.
- The elders of the daughter of Zion sit upon the ground, and keep silence: they have cast up dust upon their heads; they have girded themselves with sackcloth: the virgins of Jerusalem hang down their heads to the ground.
- Mine eyes do fail with tears, my bowels are troubled, my liver is poured upon the earth, for the destruction of the daughter of my people; because the children and the sucklings swoon in the streets of the city.
- They say to their mothers, Where is corn and wine? when they swooned as the wounded in the streets of the city, when their soul was poured out into their mothers' bosom.
- What thing shall I take to witness for thee? what thing shall I liken to thee, O daughter of Jerusalem? what shall I equal to thee, that I may comfort thee, O virgin daughter of Zion? for thy breach is great like the sea: who can heal thee?
- Thy prophets have seen vain and foolish things for thee: and they have not discovered thine iniquity, to turn away thy captivity; but have seen for thee false burdens and causes of banishment.
- All that pass by clap their hands at thee; they hiss and wag their head at the daughter of Jerusalem, saying, Is this the city that men call The perfection of beauty, The joy of the whole earth?
- All thine enemies have opened their mouth against thee: they hiss and gnash the teeth: they say, We have swallowed her up: certainly this is the day that we looked for; we have found, we have seen it.
- The LORD hath done that which he had devised; he hath fulfilled his word that he had commanded in the days of old: he hath thrown down, and hath not pitied: and he hath caused thine enemy to rejoice over thee, he hath set up the horn of thine adversaries.
- Their heart cried unto the Lord, O wall of the daughter of Zion, let tears run down like a river day and night: give thyself no rest; let not the apple of thine eye cease.
- Arise, cry out in the night: in the beginning of the watches pour out thine heart like water before the face of the Lord: lift up thy hands toward him for the life of thy young children, that faint for hunger in the top of every street.
- Behold, O LORD, and consider to whom thou hast done this. Shall the women eat their fruit, and children of a span long? shall the priest and the prophet be slain in the sanctuary of the Lord?
- The young and the old lie on the ground in the streets: my virgins and my young men are fallen by the sword; thou hast slain them in the day of thine anger; thou hast killed, and not pitied.
- Thou hast called as in a solemn day my terrors round about, so that in the day of the LORD's anger none escaped nor remained: those that I have swaddled and brought up hath mine enemy consumed.