| Judges 15 - Versions
| Judges 15 Text (WEB)
- But it happened after a while, in the time of wheat harvest, that Samson visited his wife with a young goat; and he said, "I will go in to my wife into the room." But her father wouldn't allow him to go in.
- Her father said, "I most certainly thought that you had utterly hated her; therefore I gave her to your companion. Isn't her younger sister more beautiful than she? Please take her, instead."
- Samson said to them, "This time I will be blameless in regard of the Philistines, when I harm them."
- Samson went and caught three hundred foxes, and took torches, and turned tail to tail, and put a torch in the midst between every two tails.
- When he had set the brands on fire, he let them go into the standing grain of the Philistines, and burnt up both the shocks and the standing grain, and also the olive groves.
- Then the Philistines said, "Who has done this?" They said, "Samson, the son-in-law of the Timnite, because he has taken his wife, and given her to his companion." The Philistines came up, and burnt her and her father with fire.
- Samson said to them, "If you behave like this, surely I will be avenged of you, and after that I will cease."
- He struck them hip and thigh with a great slaughter: and he went down and lived in the cleft of the rock of Etam.
- Then the Philistines went up, and encamped in Judah, and spread themselves in Lehi.
- The men of Judah said, "Why have you come up against us?" They said, "We have come up to bind Samson, to do to him as he has done to us."
- Then three thousand men of Judah went down to the cleft of the rock of Etam, and said to Samson, "Don't you know that the Philistines are rulers over us? What then is this that you have done to us?" He said to them, "As they did to me, so have I done to them."
- They said to him, "We have come down to bind you, that we may deliver you into the hand of the Philistines." Samson said to them, "Swear to me that you will not fall on me yourselves."
- They spoke to him, saying, "No; but we will bind you fast, and deliver you into their hand; but surely we will not kill you." They bound him with two new ropes, and brought him up from the rock.
- When he came to Lehi, the Philistines shouted as they met him: and the Spirit of Yahweh came mightily on him, and the ropes that were on his arms became as flax that was burnt with fire, and his bands dropped from off his hands.
- He found a fresh jawbone of a donkey, and put forth his hand, and took it, and struck a thousand men therewith.
- Samson said, "With the jawbone of a donkey, heaps on heaps; with the jawbone of a donkey I have struck a thousand men."
- It happened, when he had made an end of speaking, that he cast away the jawbone out of his hand; and that place was called Ramath Lehi.
- He was very thirsty, and called on Yahweh, and said, "You have given this great deliverance by the hand of your servant; and now shall I die for thirst, and fall into the hand of the uncircumcised?"
- But God split the hollow place that is in Lehi, and water came out of it. When he had drunk, his spirit came again, and he revived: therefore its name was called En Hakkore, which is in Lehi, to this day.
- He judged Israel in the days of the Philistines twenty years.
| Judges 15 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי מימים בימי קציר־חטים ויפקד שמשון את־אשתו בגדי עזים ויאמר אבאה אל־אשתי החדרה ולא־נתנו אביה לבוא׃
- ויאמר אביה אמר אמרתי כי־שנא שנאתה ואתננה למרעך הלא אחתה הקטנה טובה ממנה תהי־נא לך תחתיה׃
- ויאמר להם שמשון נקיתי הפעם מפלשתים כי־עשה אני עםם רעה׃
- וילך שמשון וילכד שלש־מאות שועלים ויקח לפדים ויפן זנב אל־זנב וישם לפיד אחד בין־שני הזנבות בתוך׃
- ויבער־אש בלפידים וישלח בקמות פלשתים ויבער מגדיש ועד־קמה ועד־כרם זית׃
- ויאמרו פלשתים מי עשה זאת ויאמרו שמשון חתן התמני כי לקח את־אשתו ויתנה למרעהו ויעלו פלשתים וישרפו אותה ואת־אביה באש׃
- ויאמר להם שמשון אם־תעשון כזאת כי אם־נקמתי בכם ואחר אחדל׃
- ויך אותם שוק על־ירך מכה גדולה וירד וישב בסעיף סלע עיטם׃ ס
- ויעלו פלשתים ויחנו ביהודה וינטשו בלחי׃
- ויאמרו איש יהודה למה עליתם עלינו ויאמרו לאסור את־שמשון עלינו לעשות לו כאשר עשה לנו׃
- וירדו שלשת אלפים איש מיהודה אל־סעיף סלע עיטם ויאמרו לשמשון הלא ידעת כי־משלים בנו פלשתים ומה־זאת עשית לנו ויאמר להם כאשר עשו לי כן עשיתי להם׃
- ויאמרו לו לאסרך ירדנו לתתך ביד־פלשתים ויאמר להם שמשון השבעו לי פן־תפגעון בי אתם׃
- ויאמרו לו לאמר לא כי־אסר נאסרך ונתנוך בידם והמת לא נמיתך ויאסרהו בשנים עבתים חדשים ויעלוהו מן־הסלע׃
- הוא־בא עד־לחי ופלשתים הריעו לקראתו ותצלח עליו רוח יהוה ותהיינה העבתים אשר על־זרועותיו כפשתים אשר בערו באש וימסו אסוריו מעל ידיו׃
- וימצא לחי־חמור טריה וישלח ידו ויקחה ויך־בה אלף איש׃
- ויאמר שמשון בלחי החמור חמור חמרתים בלחי החמור הכיתי אלף איש׃
- ויהי ככלתו לדבר וישלך הלחי מידו ויקרא למקום ההוא רמת לחי׃
- ויצמא מאד ויקרא אל־יהוה ויאמר אתה נתת ביד־עבדך את־התשועה הגדלה הזאת ועתה אמות בצמא ונפלתי ביד הערלים׃
- ויבקע אלהים את־המכתש אשר־בלחי ויצאו ממנו מים וישת ותשב רוחו ויחי על־כן קרא שמה עין הקורא אשר בלחי עד היום הזה׃
- וישפט את־ישראל בימי פלשתים עשרים שנה׃ ף
| Judges 15 Text (Latin)
- Post aliquantulum autem temporis, cum dies triticeæ messis instarent, venit Samson, invisere volens uxorem suam, et attulit ei hædum de capris. Cumque cubiculum ejus solito vellet intrare, prohibuit eum pater illius, dicens :
- Putavi quod odisses eam, et ideo tradidi illam amico tuo : sed habet sororem, quæ junior et pulchrior illa est : sit tibi pro ea uxor.
- Cui Samson respondit : Ab hac die non erit culpa in me contra Philisthæos : faciam enim vobis mala.
- Perrexitque et cepit trecentas vulpes, caudasque earum junxit ad caudas, et faces ligavit in medio :
- quas igne succendens, dimisit ut huc illucque discurrerent. Quæ statim perrexerunt in segetes Philisthinorum. Quibus succensis, et comportatæ jam fruges, et adhuc stantes in stipula, concrematæ sunt, in tantum ut vineas quoque et oliveta flamma consumeret.
- Dixeruntque Philisthiim : Quis fecit hanc rem ? Quibus dictum est : Samson gener Thamnathæi : quia tulit uxorem ejus, et alteri tradidit, hæc operatus est. Ascenderuntque Philisthiim, et combusserunt tam mulierem quam patrem ejus.
- Quibus ait Samson : Licet hæc feceritis, tamen adhuc ex vobis expetam ultionem, et tunc quiescam.
- Percussitque eos ingenti plaga, ita ut stupentes suram femori imponerent. Et descendens habitavit in spelunca petræ Etam.
- Igitur ascendentes Philisthiim in terram Juda, castrametati sunt in loco, qui postea vocatus est Lechi, id est, Maxilla, ubi eorum effusus est exercitus.
- Dixeruntque ad eos de tribu Juda : Cur ascendistis adversum nos ? Qui responderunt : Ut ligemus Samson venimus, et reddamus ei quæ in nos operatus est.
- Descenderunt ergo tria millia virorum de Juda ad specum silicis Etam, dixeruntque ad Samson : Nescis quod Philisthiim imperent nobis ? quare hoc facere voluisti ? Quibus ille ait : Sicut fecerunt mihi, sic feci eis.
- Ligare, inquiunt, te venimus, et tradere in manus Philisthinorum. Quibus Samson : Jurate, ait, et spondete mihi quod non occidatis me.
- Dixerunt : Non te occidemus, sed vinctum trademus. Ligaveruntque eum duobus novis funibus, et tulerunt eum de petra Etam.
- Qui cum venisset ad locum Maxillæ, et Philisthiim vociferantes occurrissent ei, irruit spiritus Domini in eum : et sicut solent ad odorem ignis lina consumi, ita vincula quibus ligatus erat, dissipata sunt et soluta.
- Inventamque maxillam, id est, mandibulam asini, quæ jacebat, arripiens interfecit in ea mille viros,
- et ait : In maxilla asini, in mandibula pulli asinarum delevi eos, et percussi mille viros.
- Cumque hæc verba canens complesset, projecit mandibulam de manu, et vocavit nomen loci illius Ramathlechi, quod interpretatur, Elevatio maxillæ.
- Sitiensque valde, clamavit ad Dominum, et ait : Tu dedisti in manu servi tui salutem hanc maximam atque victoriam : en siti morior, incidamque in manus incircumcisorum.
- Aperuit itaque Dominus molarem dentem in maxilla asini, et egressæ sunt ex eo aquæ. Quibus haustis, refocillavit spiritum, et vires recepit. Idcirco appellatum est nomen loci illius, Fons invocantis de maxilla, usque in præsentem diem.
- Judicavitque Israël in diebus Philisthiim viginti annis.
| Judges 15 Text (KJV)
- But it came to pass within a while after, in the time of wheat harvest, that Samson visited his wife with a kid; and he said, I will go in to my wife into the chamber. But her father would not suffer him to go in.
- And her father said, I verily thought that thou hadst utterly hated her; therefore I gave her to thy companion: is not her younger sister fairer than she? take her, I pray thee, instead of her.
- And Samson said concerning them, Now shall I be more blameless than the Philistines, though I do them a displeasure.
- And Samson went and caught three hundred foxes, and took firebrands, and turned tail to tail, and put a firebrand in the midst between two tails.
- And when he had set the brands on fire, he let them go into the standing corn of the Philistines, and burnt up both the shocks, and also the standing corn, with the vineyards and olives.
- Then the Philistines said, Who hath done this? And they answered, Samson, the son in law of the Timnite, because he had taken his wife, and given her to his companion. And the Philistines came up, and burnt her and her father with fire.
- And Samson said unto them, Though ye have done this, yet will I be avenged of you, and after that I will cease.
- And he smote them hip and thigh with a great slaughter: and he went down and dwelt in the top of the rock Etam.
- Then the Philistines went up, and pitched in Judah, and spread themselves in Lehi.
- And the men of Judah said, Why are ye come up against us? And they answered, To bind Samson are we come up, to do to him as he hath done to us.
- Then three thousand men of Judah went to the top of the rock Etam, and said to Samson, Knowest thou not that the Philistines are rulers over us? what is this that thou hast done unto us? And he said unto them, As they did unto me, so have I done unto them.
- And they said unto him, We are come down to bind thee, that we may deliver thee into the hand of the Philistines. And Samson said unto them, Swear unto me, that ye will not fall upon me yourselves.
- And they spake unto him, saying, No; but we will bind thee fast, and deliver thee into their hand: but surely we will not kill thee. And they bound him with two new cords, and brought him up from the rock.
- And when he came unto Lehi, the Philistines shouted against him: and the Spirit of the LORD came mightily upon him, and the cords that were upon his arms became as flax that was burnt with fire, and his bands loosed from off his hands.
- And he found a new jawbone of an ass, and put forth his hand, and took it, and slew a thousand men therewith.
- And Samson said, With the jawbone of an ass, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an ass have I slain a thousand men.
- And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking, that he cast away the jawbone out of his hand, and called that place Ramath-lehi.
- And he was sore athirst, and called on the LORD, and said, Thou hast given this great deliverance into the hand of thy servant: and now shall I die for thirst, and fall into the hand of the uncircumcised?
- But God clave an hollow place that was in the jaw, and there came water thereout; and when he had drunk, his spirit came again, and he revived: wherefore he called the name thereof En-hakkore, which is in Lehi unto this day.
- And he judged Israel in the days of the Philistines twenty years.