| Joshua 5 - Versions
| Joshua 5 Text (WEB)
- It happened, when all the kings of the Amorites, who were beyond the Jordan westward, and all the kings of the Canaanites, who were by the sea, heard how that Yahweh had dried up the waters of the Jordan from before the children of Israel, until we had passed over, that their heart melted, neither was there spirit in them any more, because of the children of Israel.
- At that time, Yahweh said to Joshua, "Make flint knives, and circumcise again the children of Israel the second time."
- Joshua made himself flint knives, and circumcised the children of Israel at the hill of the foreskins.
- This is the reason Joshua circumcised: all the people who came out of Egypt, who were males, even all the men of war, died in the wilderness by the way, after they came out of Egypt.
- For all the people who came out were circumcised; but all the people who were born in the wilderness by the way as they came out of Egypt had not been circumcised.
- For the children of Israel walked forty years in the wilderness, until all the nation, even the men of war who came out of Egypt, were consumed, because they didn't listen to the voice of Yahweh. Yahweh swore to them that he wouldn't let them see the land which Yahweh swore to their fathers that he would give us, a land flowing with milk and honey.
- Their children, whom he raised up in their place, were circumcised by Joshua; for they were uncircumcised, because they had not circumcised them on the way.
- It happened, when they were done circumcising all the nation, that they stayed in their places in the camp until they were healed.
- Yahweh said to Joshua, "Today I have rolled away the reproach of Egypt from off you." Therefore the name of that place was called Gilgal, to this day.
- The children of Israel encamped in Gilgal. They kept the Passover on the fourteenth day of the month at evening in the plains of Jericho.
- They ate unleavened cakes and parched grain of the produce of the land on the next day after the Passover, in the same day.
- The manna ceased on the next day, after they had eaten of the produce of the land. The children of Israel didn't have manna any more; but they ate of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year.
- It happened, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, a man stood in front of him with his sword drawn in his hand. Joshua went to him, and said to him, "Are you for us, or for our adversaries?"
- He said, "No; but I have come now as commander of Yahweh's army." Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and worshipped, and said to him, "What does my lord say to his servant?"
- The prince of Yahweh's army said to Joshua, "Take your shoes off of your feet; for the place on which you stand is holy." Joshua did so.
| Joshua 5 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי כשמע כל־מלכי האמרי אשר בעבר הירדן ימה וכל־מלכי הכנעני אשר על־הים את אשר־הוביש יהוה את־מי הירדן מפני בני־ישראל עד־ וימס לבבם ולא־היה בם עוד רוח מפני בני־ישראל׃ ס
- בעת ההיא אמר יהוה אל־יהושע עשה לך חרבות צרים ושוב מל את־בני־ישראל שנית׃
- ויעש־לו יהושע חרבות צרים וימל את־בני ישראל אל־גבעת הערלות׃
- וזה הדבר אשר־מל יהושע כל־העם היצא ממצרים הזכרים כל אנשי המלחמה מתו במדבר בדרך בצאתם ממצרים׃
- כי־מלים היו כל־העם היצאים וכל־העם הילדים במדבר בדרך בצאתם ממצרים לא־מלו׃
- כי ארבעים שנה הלכו בני־ישראל במדבר עד־תם כל־הגוי אנשי המלחמה היצאים ממצרים אשר לא־שמעו בקול יהוה אשר נשבע יהוה להם לבלתי הראותם את־הארץ אשר נשבע יהוה לאבותם לתת לנו ארץ זבת חלב ודבש׃
- ואת־בניהם הקים תחתם אתם מל יהושע כי־ערלים היו כי לא־מלו אותם בדרך׃
- ויהי כאשר־תמו כל־הגוי להמול וישבו תחתם במחנה עד חיותם׃ ף
- ויאמר יהוה אל־יהושע היום גלותי את־חרפת מצרים מעליכם ויקרא שם המקום ההוא גלגל עד היום הזה׃
- ויחנו בני־ישראל בגלגל ויעשו את־הפסח בארבעה עשר יום לחדש בערב בערבות יריחו׃
- ויאכלו מעבור הארץ ממחרת הפסח מצות וקלוי בעצם היום הזה׃
- וישבת המן ממחרת באכלם מעבור הארץ ולא־היה עוד לבני ישראל מן ויאכלו מתבואת ארץ כנען בשנה ההיא׃ ס
- ויהי בהיות יהושע ביריחו וישא עיניו וירא והנה־איש עמד לנגדו וחרבו שלופה בידו וילך יהושע אליו ויאמר לו הלנו אתה אם־לצרינו׃
- ויאמר לא כי אני שר־צבא־יהוה עתה באתי ויפל יהושע אל־פניו ארצה וישתחו ויאמר לו מה אדני מדבר אל־עבדו׃
- ויאמר שר־צבא יהוה אל־יהושע של־נעלך מעל רגלך כי המקום אשר אתה עמד עליו קדש הוא ויעש יהושע כן׃
| Joshua 5 Text (Latin)
- Postquam ergo audierunt omnes reges Amorrhæorum, qui habitabant trans Jordanem ad occidentalem plagam, et cuncti reges Chanaan, qui propinqua possidebant magni maris loca, quod siccasset Dominus fluenta Jordanis coram filiis Israël donec transirent, dissolutum est cor eorum, et non remansit in eis spiritus, timentium introitum filiorum Israël.
- Eo tempore ait Dominus ad Josue : Fac tibi cultros lapideos, et circumcide secundo filios Israël.
- Fecit quod jusserat Dominus, et circumcidit filios Israël in colle præputiorum.
- Hæc autem causa est secundæ circumcisionis : omnis populus, qui egressus est de Ægypto generis masculini, universi bellatores viri, mortui sunt in deserto per longissimos viæ circuitus,
- qui omnes circumcisi erant. Populus autem qui natus est in deserto,
- per quadraginta annos itineris latissimæ solitudinis incircumcisus fuit : donec consumeretur qui non audierant vocem Domini, et quibus ante juraverat ut non ostenderet eis terram lacte et melle manantem.
- Horum filii in locum successerunt patrum, et circumcisi sunt a Josue : quia sicut nati fuerant, in præputio erant, nec eos in via aliquis circumciderat.
- Postquam autem omnes circumcisi sunt, manserunt in eodem castrorum loco, donec sanarentur.
- Dixitque Dominus ad Josue : Hodie abstuli opprobrium Ægypti a vobis. Vocatumque est nomen loci illius Galgala, usque in præsentem diem.
- Manseruntque filii Israël in Galgalis, et fecerunt Phase quartadecima die mensis ad vesperum in campestribus Jericho :
- et comederunt de frugibus terræ die altero, azymos panes, et polentam ejusdem anni.
- Defecitque manna postquam comederunt de frugibus terræ, nec usi sunt ultra cibo illo filii Israël, sed comederunt de frugibus præsentis anni terræ Chanaan.
- Cum autem esset Josue in agro urbis Jericho, levavit oculos, et vidit virum stantem contra se, evaginatum tenentem gladium, perrexitque ad eum, et ait : Noster es, an adversariorum ?
- Qui respondit : Nequaquam : sed sum princeps exercitus Domini, et nunc venio.
- Solve, inquit, calceamentum tuum de pedibus tuis : locus enim, in quo stas, sanctus est. Fecitque Josue ut sibi fuerat imperatum.
| Joshua 5 Text (KJV)
- And it came to pass, when all the kings of the Amorites, which were on the side of Jordan westward, and all the kings of the Canaanites, which were by the sea, heard that the LORD had dried up the waters of Jordan from before the children of Israel, until we were passed over, that their heart melted, neither was there spirit in them any more, because of the children of Israel.
- At that time the LORD said unto Joshua, Make thee sharp knives, and circumcise again the children of Israel the second time.
- And Joshua made him sharp knives, and circumcised the children of Israel at the hill of the foreskins.
- And this is the cause why Joshua did circumcise: All the people that came out of Egypt, that were males, even all the men of war, died in the wilderness by the way, after they came out of Egypt.
- Now all the people that came out were circumcised: but all the people that were born in the wilderness by the way as they came forth out of Egypt, them they had not circumcised.
- For the children of Israel walked forty years in the wilderness, till all the people that were men of war, which came out of Egypt, were consumed, because they obeyed not the voice of the LORD: unto whom the LORD sware that he would not shew them the land, which the LORD sware unto their fathers that he would give us, a land that floweth with milk and honey.
- And their children, whom he raised up in their stead, them Joshua circumcised: for they were uncircumcised, because they had not circumcised them by the way.
- And it came to pass, when they had done circumcising all the people, that they abode in their places in the camp, till they were whole.
- And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day have I rolled away the reproach of Egypt from off you. Wherefore the name of the place is called Gilgal unto this day.
- And the children of Israel encamped in Gilgal, and kept the passover on the fourteenth day of the month at even in the plains of Jericho.
- And they did eat of the old corn of the land on the morrow after the passover, unleavened cakes, and parched corn in the selfsame day.
- And the manna ceased on the morrow after they had eaten of the old corn of the land; neither had the children of Israel manna any more; but they did eat of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year.
- And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries?
- And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?
- And the captain of the LORD's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.