| Joshua 17 - Versions
| Joshua 17 Text (WEB)
- This was the lot for the tribe of Manasseh, for he was the firstborn of Joseph. As for Machir the firstborn of Manasseh, the father of Gilead, because he was a man of war, therefore he had Gilead and Bashan.
- So this was for the rest of the children of Manasseh according to their families: for the children of Abiezer, for the children of Helek, for the children of Asriel, for the children of Shechem, for the children of Hepher, and for the children of Shemida: these were the male children of Manasseh the son of Joseph according to their families.
- But Zelophehad, the son of Hepher, the son of Gilead, the son of Machir, the son of Manasseh, had no sons, but daughters: and these are the names of his daughters: Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah.
- They came near before Eleazar the priest, and before Joshua the son of Nun, and before the princes, saying, "Yahweh commanded Moses to give us an inheritance among our brothers." Therefore according to the commandment of Yahweh he gave them an inheritance among the brothers of their father.
- Ten parts fell to Manasseh, besides the land of Gilead and Bashan, which is beyond the Jordan;
- because the daughters of Manasseh had an inheritance among his sons. The land of Gilead belonged to the rest of the sons of Manasseh.
- The border of Manasseh was from Asher to Michmethath, which is before Shechem. The border went along to the right hand, to the inhabitants of En Tappuah.
- The land of Tappuah belonged to Manasseh; but Tappuah on the border of Manasseh belonged to the children of Ephraim.
- The border went down to the brook of Kanah, southward of the brook. These cities belonged to Ephraim among the cities of Manasseh. The border of Manasseh was on the north side of the brook, and ended at the sea.
- Southward it was Ephraim's, and northward it was Manasseh's, and the sea was his border. They reached to Asher on the north, and to Issachar on the east.
- Manasseh had three heights in Issachar, in Asher Beth Shean and its towns, and Ibleam and its towns, and the inhabitants of Dor and its towns, and the inhabitants of Endor and its towns, and the inhabitants of Taanach and its towns, and the inhabitants of Megiddo and its towns.
- Yet the children of Manasseh couldn't drive out the inhabitants of those cities; but the Canaanites would dwell in that land.
- It happened, when the children of Israel had grown strong, that they put the Canaanites to forced labor, and didn't utterly drive them out.
- The children of Joseph spoke to Joshua, saying, "Why have you given me just one lot and one part for an inheritance, since I am a great people, because Yahweh has blessed me so far?"
- Joshua said to them, "If you are a great people, go up to the forest, and clear land for yourself there in the land of the Perizzites and of the Rephaim; since the hill country of Ephraim is too narrow for you."
- The children of Joseph said, "The hill country is not enough for us. All the Canaanites who dwell in the land of the valley have chariots of iron, both those who are in Beth Shean and its towns, and those who are in the valley of Jezreel."
- Joshua spoke to the house of Joseph, even to Ephraim and to Manasseh, saying, "You are a great people, and have great power. You shall not have one lot only;
- but the hill country shall be yours. Although it is a forest, you shall cut it down, and it's farthest extent shall be yours; for you shall drive out the Canaanites, though they have chariots of iron, and though they are strong."
| Joshua 17 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי הגורל למטה מנשה כי־הוא בכור יוסף למכיר בכור מנשה אבי הגלעד כי הוא היה איש מלחמה ויהי־לו הגלעד והבשן׃
- ויהי לבני מנשה הנותרים למשפחתם לבני אביעזר ולבני־חלק ולבני אשריאל ולבני־שכם ולבני־חפר ולבני שמידע אלה בני מנשה בן־יוסף הזכרים למשפחתם׃
- ולצלפחד בן־חפר בן־גלעד בן־מכיר בן־מנשה לא־היו לו בנים כי אם־בנות ואלה שמות בנתיו מחלה ונעה חגלה מלכה ותרצה׃
- ותקרבנה לפני אלעזר הכהן ולפני יהושע בן־נון ולפני הנשיאים לאמר יהוה צוה את־משה לתת־לנו נחלה בתוך אחינו ויתן להם אל־פי יהוה נחלה בתוך אחי אביהן׃
- ויפלו חבלי־מנשה עשרה לבד מארץ הגלעד והבשן אשר מעבר לירדן׃
- כי בנות מנשה נחלו נחלה בתוך בניו וארץ הגלעד היתה לבני־מנשה הנותרים׃
- ויהי גבול־מנשה מאשר המכמתת אשר על־פני שכם והלך הגבול אל־הימין אל־ישבי עין תפוח׃
- למנשה היתה ארץ תפוח ותפוח אל־גבול מנשה לבני אפרים׃
- וירד הגבול נחל קנה נגבה לנחל ערים האלה לאפרים בתוך ערי מנשה וגבול מנשה מצפון לנחל ויהי תצאתיו הימה׃
- נגבה לאפרים וצפונה למנשה ויהי הים גבולו ובאשר יפגעון מצפון וביששכר ממזרח׃
- ויהי למנשה ביששכר ובאשר בית־שאן ובנותיה ויבלעם ובנותיה ואת־ישבי דאר ובנותיה וישבי עין־דר ובנתיה וישבי תענך ובנתיה וישבי מגדו ובנותיה שלשת הנפת׃
- ולא יכלו בני מנשה להוריש את־הערים האלה ויואל הכנעני לשבת בארץ הזאת׃
- ויהי כי חזקו בני ישראל ויתנו את־הכנעני למס והורש לא הורישו׃ ס
- וידברו בני יוסף את־יהושע לאמר מדוע נתתה לי נחלה גורל אחד וחבל אחד ואני עם־רב עד אשר־עד־כה ברכני יהוה׃
- ויאמר אליהם יהושע אם־עם־רב אתה עלה לך היערה ובראת לך שם בארץ הפרזי והרפאים כי־אץ לך הר־אפרים׃
- ויאמרו בני יוסף לא־ימצא לנו ההר ורכב ברזל בכל־הכנעני הישב בארץ־העמק לאשר בבית־שאן ובנותיה ולאשר בעמק יזרעאל׃
- ויאמר יהושע אל־בית יוסף לאפרים ולמנשה לאמר עם־רב אתה וכח גדול לך לא־יהיה לך גורל אחד׃
- כי הר יהיה־לך כי־יער הוא ובראתו והיה לך תצאתיו כי־תוריש את־הכנעני כי רכב ברזל לו כי חזק הוא׃ ף
| Joshua 17 Text (Latin)
- Cecidit autem sors tribui Manasse (ipse enim est primogenitus Joseph) : Machir primogenito Manasse patri Galaad, qui fuit vir pugnator, habuitque possessionem Galaad et Basan :
- et reliquis filiorum Manasse juxta familias suas, filiis Abiezer, et filiis Helec, et filiis Esriel, et filiis Sechem, et filiis Hepher, et filiis Semida. Isti sunt filii Manasse filii Joseph, mares, per cognationes suas.
- Salphaad vero filio Hepher filii Galaad filii Machir filii Manasse non erant filii, sed solæ filiæ : quarum ista sunt nomina : Maala et Noa et Hegla et Melcha et Thersa.
- Veneruntque in conspectu Eleazari sacerdotis, et Josue filii Nun, et principum, dicentes : Dominus præcepit per manum Moysi, ut daretur nobis possessio in medio fratrum nostrorum. Deditque eis juxta imperium Domini possessionem in medio fratrum patris earum.
- Et ceciderunt funiculi Manasse, decem, absque terra Galaad et Basan trans Jordanem.
- Filiæ enim Manasse possederunt hæreditatem in medio filiorum ejus. Terra autem Galaad cecidit in sortem filiorum Manasse qui reliqui erant.
- Fuitque terminus Manasse ab Aser, Machmethath quæ respicit Sichem : et egreditur ad dexteram juxta habitatores fontis Taphuæ.
- Etenim in sorte Manasse ceciderat terra Taphuæ, quæ est juxta terminos Manasse filiorum Ephraim.
- Descenditque terminus vallis arundineti in meridiem torrentis civitatum Ephraim, quæ in medio sunt urbium Manasse : terminus Manasse ab aquilone torrentis, et exitus ejus pergit ad mare :
- ita ut possessio Ephraim sit ab austro, et ab aquilone Manasse, et utramque claudat mare, et conjungantur sibi in tribu Aser ab aquilone, et in tribu Issachar ab oriente.
- Fuitque hæreditas Manasse in Issachar et in Aser, Bethsan et viculi ejus, et Jeblaam cum viculis suis, et habitatores Dor cum oppidis suis, habitatores quoque Endor cum viculis suis : similiterque habitatores Thenac cum viculis suis, et habitatores Mageddo cum viculis suis, et tertia pars urbis Nopheth.
- Nec potuerunt filii Manasse has civitates subvertere, sed cœpit Chananæus habitare in terra sua.
- Postquam autem convaluerunt filii Israël, subjecerunt Chananæos, et fecerunt sibi tributarios, nec interfecerunt eos.
- Locutique sunt filii Joseph ad Josue, et dixerunt : Quare dedisti mihi possessionem sortis et funiculi unius, cum sim tantæ multitudinis, et benedixerit mihi Dominus ?
- Ad quos Josue ait : Si populus multus es, ascende in silvam, et succide tibi spatia in terra Pherezæi et Raphaim : quia angusta est tibi possessio montis Ephraim.
- Cui responderunt filii Joseph : Non poterimus ad montana conscendere, cum ferreis curribus utantur Chananæi, qui habitant in terra campestri, in qua sitæ sunt Bethsan cum viculis suis, et Jezraël mediam possidens vallem.
- Dixitque Josue ad domum Joseph, Ephraim et Manasse : Populus multus es, et magnæ fortitudinis : non habebis sortem unam,
- sed transibis ad montem, et succides tibi, atque purgabis ad habitandum spatia : et poteris ultra procedere cum subverteris Chananæum, quem dicis ferreos habere currus, et esse fortissimum.
| Joshua 17 Text (KJV)
- There was also a lot for the tribe of Manasseh; for he was the firstborn of Joseph; to wit, for Machir the firstborn of Manasseh, the father of Gilead: because he was a man of war, therefore he had Gilead and Bashan.
- There was also a lot for the rest of the children of Manasseh by their families; for the children of Abiezer, and for the children of Helek, and for the children of Asriel, and for the children of Shechem, and for the children of Hepher, and for the children of Shemida: these were the male children of Manasseh the son of Joseph by their families.
- But Zelophehad, the son of Hepher, the son of Gilead, the son of Machir, the son of Manasseh, had no sons, but daughters: and these are the names of his daughters, Mahlah, and Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah.
- And they came near before Eleazar the priest, and before Joshua the son of Nun, and before the princes, saying, The LORD commanded Moses to give us an inheritance among our brethren. Therefore according to the commandment of the LORD he gave them an inheritance among the brethren of their father.
- And there fell ten portions to Manasseh, beside the land of Gilead and Bashan, which were on the other side Jordan;
- Because the daughters of Manasseh had an inheritance among his sons: and the rest of Manasseh's sons had the land of Gilead.
- And the coast of Manasseh was from Asher to Michmethah, that lieth before Shechem; and the border went along on the right hand unto the inhabitants of En-tappuah.
- Now Manasseh had the land of Tappuah: but Tappuah on the border of Manasseh belonged to the children of Ephraim;
- And the coast descended unto the river Kanah, southward of the river: these cities of Ephraim are among the cities of Manasseh: the coast of Manasseh also was on the north side of the river, and the outgoings of it were at the sea:
- Southward it was Ephraim's, and northward it was Manasseh's, and the sea is his border; and they met together in Asher on the north, and in Issachar on the east.
- And Manasseh had in Issachar and in Asher Beth-shean and her towns, and Ibleam and her towns, and the inhabitants of Dor and her towns, and the inhabitants of Endor and her towns, and the inhabitants of Taanach and her towns, and the inhabitants of Megiddo and her towns, even three countries.
- Yet the children of Manasseh could not drive out the inhabitants of those cities; but the Canaanites would dwell in that land.
- Yet it came to pass, when the children of Israel were waxen strong, that they put the Canaanites to tribute; but did not utterly drive them out.
- And the children of Joseph spake unto Joshua, saying, Why hast thou given me but one lot and one portion to inherit, seeing I am a great people, forasmuch as the LORD hath blessed me hitherto?
- And Joshua answered them, If thou be a great people, then get thee up to the wood country, and cut down for thyself there in the land of the Perizzites and of the giants, if mount Ephraim be too narrow for thee.
- And the children of Joseph said, The hill is not enough for us: and all the Canaanites that dwell in the land of the valley have chariots of iron, both they who are of Beth-shean and her towns, and they who are of the valley of Jezreel.
- And Joshua spake unto the house of Joseph, even to Ephraim and to Manasseh, saying, Thou art a great people, and hast great power: thou shalt not have one lot only:
- But the mountain shall be thine; for it is a wood, and thou shalt cut it down: and the outgoings of it shall be thine: for thou shalt drive out the Canaanites, though they have iron chariots, and though they be strong.