| John 9 - Versions
| John 9 Text (WEB)
- As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth.
- His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
- Jesus answered, "Neither did this man sin, nor his parents; but, that the works of God might be revealed in him.
- I must work the works of him who sent me, while it is day. The night is coming, when no one can work.
- While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."
- When he had said this, he spat on the ground, made mud with the saliva, anointed the blind man's eyes with the mud,
- and said to him, "Go, wash in the pool of Siloam" (which means "Sent"). So he went away, washed, and came back seeing.
- The neighbors therefore, and those who saw that he was blind before, said, "Isn't this he who sat and begged?"
- Others were saying, "It is he." Still others were saying, "He looks like him." He said, "I am he."
- They therefore were asking him, "How were your eyes opened?"
- He answered, "A man called Jesus made mud, anointed my eyes, and said to me, 'Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash.' So I went away and washed, and I received sight."
- Then they asked him, "Where is he?" He said, "I don't know."
- They brought him who had been blind to the Pharisees.
- It was a Sabbath when Jesus made the mud and opened his eyes.
- Again therefore the Pharisees also asked him how he received his sight. He said to them, "He put mud on my eyes, I washed, and I see."
- Some therefore of the Pharisees said, "This man is not from God, because he doesn't keep the Sabbath." Others said, "How can a man who is a sinner do such signs?" There was division among them.
- Therefore they asked the blind man again, "What do you say about him, because he opened your eyes?" He said, "He is a prophet."
- The Jews therefore did not believe concerning him, that he had been blind, and had received his sight, until they called the parents of him who had received his sight,
- and asked them, "Is this your son, who you say was born blind? How then does he now see?"
- His parents answered them, "We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind;
- but how he now sees, we don't know; or who opened his eyes, we don't know. He is of age. Ask him. He will speak for himself."
- His parents said these things because they feared the Jews; for the Jews had already agreed that if any man would confess him as Christ, he would be put out of the synagogue.
- Therefore his parents said, "He is of age. Ask him."
- So they called the man who was blind a second time, and said to him, "Give glory to God. We know that this man is a sinner."
- He therefore answered, "I don't know if he is a sinner. One thing I do know: that though I was blind, now I see."
- They said to him again, "What did he do to you? How did he open your eyes?"
- He answered them, "I told you already, and you didn't listen. Why do you want to hear it again? You don't also want to become his disciples, do you?"
- They insulted him and said, "You are his disciple, but we are disciples of Moses.
- We know that God has spoken to Moses. But as for this man, we don't know where he comes from."
- The man answered them, "How amazing! You don't know where he comes from, yet he opened my eyes.
- We know that God doesn't listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshipper of God, and does his will, he listens to him.
- Since the world began it has never been heard of that anyone opened the eyes of someone born blind.
- If this man were not from God, he could do nothing."
- They answered him, "You were altogether born in sins, and do you teach us?" They threw him out.
- Jesus heard that they had thrown him out, and finding him, he said, "Do you believe in the Son of God?"
- He answered, "Who is he, Lord, that I may believe in him?"
- Jesus said to him, "You have both seen him, and it is he who speaks with you."
- He said, "Lord, I believe!" and he worshiped him.
- Jesus said, "I came into this world for judgment, that those who don't see may see; and that those who see may become blind."
- Those of the Pharisees who were with him heard these things, and said to him, "Are we also blind?"
- Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but now you say, 'We see.' Therefore your sin remains.
| John 9 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי בעברו וירא איש והוא עור מיום הולדו׃
- וישאלו אתו תלמידיו לאמר רבי מי הוא אשר חטא הזה אם ילדיו כי נולד עור׃
- ויען ישוע לא זה חטא ולא יולדיו אך למען יגלו בו מעללי אל׃
- עלי לעשות מעשי שלחי בעוד יום יבוא הלילה אשר בו לא יוכל איש לפעל׃
- בהיותי בעולם אור העולם אני׃
- ויהי כדברו זאת וירק על הארץ ויעש טיט מן הרוק וימרח את הטיט על עיני העור׃
- ויאמר אליו לך ורחץ בברכת השלח פרושו שלוח וילך וירחץ ויבא ועיניו ראות׃
- ויאמרו שכניו ואשר ראו אתו לפנים כי עור הוא הלא זה הוא הישב ומשאל׃
- אלה אמרו כי הוא זה ואלה אמרו אך דומה לו והוא אמר אני הוא׃
- ויאמרו אליו במה אפו נפקחו עיניך׃
- ויען ויאמר איש אשר נקרא שמו ישוע עשה טיט וימרח על עיני ויאמר אלי לך ורחץ בברכת השלח ואלך וארחץ ותארנה עיני׃
- ויאמרו אליו איו ויאמר לא ידעתי׃
- ויביאו את האיש אשר היה עור לפנים אל הפרושים׃
- והיום אשר עשה בו ישוע את הטיט ויפקח את עיניו שבת היה׃
- ויוסיפו לשאל אתו גם הפרושים איך נפקחו עיניו ויאמר אליהם טיט שם על עיני וארחץ והנני ראה׃
- ויאמרו מקצת הפרושים זה האיש לא מאלהים הוא כי לא ישמר את השבת ואחרים אמרו איכה יוכל איש חטא לעשות אתות כאלה ויהי ריב ביניהם׃
- ויוסיפו ויאמרו אל העור מה תאמר אתה עליו אשר פקח עיניך ויאמר נביא הוא׃
- ולא האמינו היהודים עליו כי עור היה וארו עיניו עד אשר קראו אל יולדי הנרפא׃
- וישאלו אתם לאמר הזה הוא בנכם אשר אמרתם כי נולד עור ואיכה הוא ראה עתה׃
- ויענו אתם יולדיו ויאמרו ידענו כי זה הוא בננו וכי נולד עור׃
- אבל איך הוא ראה עתה או מי פקח את עיניו אנחנו לא ידענו הלא בן דעת הוא שאלו את פיהו והוא יגיד מה היה לו׃
- כזאת דברו יולדיו מיראתם את היהודים כי היהודים כבר נועצו לנדות את כל אשר יודה כי הוא המשיח׃
- על כן אמרו יולדיו בן דעת הוא שאלו את פיהו׃
- ויקראו שנית לאיש אשר היה עור ויאמרו אליו תן כבוד לאלהים אנחנו ידענו כי האיש הזה חטא הוא׃
- ויען ויאמר אם האיש חטא הוא אינני ידע אחת ידעתי כי עור הייתי ועתה הנני ראה׃
- ויאמרו אליו עוד מה עשה לך איכה פקח עיניך׃
- ויען אתם כבר אמרתי לכם הלא שמעתם ומה לכם לשמע שנית התאבו גם אתם להיות תלמידיו׃
- ויחרפו אתו ויאמרו אתה תלמידו ואנחנו תלמידיו של משה׃
- אנחנו יודעים כי אל משה דבר האלהים ואת זה לא ידענו מאין הוא׃
- ויען האיש ויאמר אליהם זאת היא הפלא ופלא כי לא ידעתם מאין הוא והוא פקח את עיני׃
- והנה ידענו כי את החטאים לא ישמע אל כי אם את ירא האלהים ועשה רצונו אתו ישמע׃
- מעולם לא נשמע כי פקח איש עיני עור מרחם׃
- לולא היה זה מאת אלהים לא היה יכל לעשות מאומה׃
- ויענו ויאמרו אליו הן בחטאים נולדת כלך ואתה תלמדנו ויהדפהו החוצה׃
- וישמע ישוע כי הדפהו החוצה ויפגשהו ויאמר אליו התאמין בבן האדם׃
- ויען ויאמר מי הוא זה אדני למען אאמין בו׃
- ויאמר אליו ישוע הן ראית אתו והמדבר אליך הנה זה הוא׃
- ויאמר אני מאמין אדני וישתחו לו׃
- ויאמר ישוע אני לדין באתי לעולם הזה למען יראו העורים והראים יכו בעורון׃
- ואשר היו עמו מן הפרושים שמעו דבריו ויאמרו אליו הגם אנחנו עורים׃
- ויאמר אליהם אם עורים הייתם לא היה בכם חטא ועתה כי אמרתם פקחים אנחנו חטאתכם תעמד׃
| John 9 Text (Latin)
- Et præteriens Jesus vidit hominem cæcum a nativitate :
- et interrogaverunt eum discipuli ejus : Rabbi, quis peccavit, hic, aut parentes ejus, ut cæcus nasceretur ?
- Respondit Jesus : Neque hic peccavit, neque parentes ejus : sed ut manifestentur opera Dei in illo.
- Me oportet operari opera ejus qui misit me, donec dies est : venit nox, quando nemo potest operari :
- quamdiu sum in mundo, lux sum mundi.
- Hæc cum dixisset, exspuit in terram, et fecit lutum ex sputo, et linivit lutum super oculos ejus,
- et dixit ei : Vade, lava in natatoria Siloë (quod interpretatur Missus). Abiit ergo, et lavit, et venit videns.
- Itaque vicini, et qui viderant eum prius quia mendicus erat, dicebant : Nonne hic est qui sedebat, et mendicabat ? Alii dicebant : Quia hic est.
- Alii autem : Nequaquam, sed similis est ei. Ille vero dicebat : Quia ego sum.
- Dicebant ergo ei : Quomodo aperti sunt tibi oculi ?
- Respondit : Ille homo qui dicitur Jesus, lutum fecit : et unxit oculos meos, et dixit mihi : Vade ad natatoria Siloë, et lava. Et abii, et lavi, et video.
- Et dixerunt ei : Ubi est ille ? Ait : Nescio.
- Adducunt eum ad pharisæos, qui cæcus fuerat.
- Erat autem sabbatum quando lutum fecit Jesus, et aperuit oculos ejus.
- Iterum ergo interrogabant eum pharisæi quomodo vidisset. Ille autem dixit eis : Lutum mihi posuit super oculos, et lavi, et video.
- Dicebant ergo ex pharisæis quidam : Non est hic homo a Deo, qui sabbatum non custodit. Alii autem dicebant : Quomodo potest homo peccator hæc signa facere ? Et schisma erat inter eos.
- Dicunt ergo cæco iterum : Tu quid dicis de illo qui aperuit oculos tuos ? Ille autem dixit : Quia propheta est.
- Non crediderunt ergo Judæi de illo, quia cæcus fuisset et vidisset, donec vocaverunt parentes ejus, qui viderat :
- et interrogaverunt eos, dicentes : Hic est filius vester, quem vos dicitis quia cæcus natus est ? quomodo ergo nunc videt ?
- Responderunt eis parentes ejus, et dixerunt : Scimus quia hic est filius noster, et quia cæcus natus est :
- quomodo autem nunc videat, nescimus : aut quis ejus aperuit oculos, nos nescimus ; ipsum interrogate : ætatem habet, ipse de se loquatur.
- Hæc dixerunt parentes ejus, quoniam timebant Judæos : jam enim conspiraverunt Judæi, ut si quis eum confiteretur esse Christum, extra synagogam fieret.
- Propterea parentes ejus dixerunt : Quia ætatem habet, ipsum interrogate.
- Vocaverunt ergo rursum hominem qui fuerat cæcus, et dixerunt ei : Da gloriam Deo : nos scimus quia hic homo peccator est.
- Dixit ergo eis ille : si peccator est, nescio ; unum scio, quia cæcus cum essem, modo video.
- Dixerunt ergo illi : Quid fecit tibi ? quomodo aperuit tibi oculos ?
- Respondit eis : Dixi vobis jam, et audistis : quod iterum vultis audire ? numquid et vos vultis discipuli ejus fieri ?
- Maledixerunt ergo ei, et dixerunt : Tu discipulus illius sis : nos autem Moysi discipuli sumus.
- Nos scimus quia Moysi locutus est Deus ; hunc autem nescimus unde sit.
- Respondit ille homo, et dixit eis : In hoc enim mirabile est quia vos nescitis unde sit, et aperuit meos oculos :
- scimus autem quia peccatores Deus non audit : sed si quis Dei cultor est, et voluntatem ejus facit, hunc exaudit.
- A sæculo non est auditum quia quis aperuit oculos cæci nati.
- Nisi esset hic a Deo, non poterat facere quidquam.
- Responderunt, et dixerunt ei : In peccatis natus es totus, et tu doces nos ? Et ejecerunt eum foras.
- Audivit Jesus quia ejecerunt eum foras : et cum invenisset eum, dixit ei : Tu credis in Filium Dei ?
- Respondit ille, et dixit : Quis est, Domine, ut credam in eum ?
- Et dixit ei Jesus : Et vidisti eum, et qui loquitur tecum, ipse est.
- At ille ait : Credo, Domine. Et procidens adoravit eum.
- Et dixit Jesus : In judicium ego in hunc mundum veni : ut qui non vident videant, et qui vident cæci fiant.
- Et audierunt quidam ex pharisæis qui cum ipso erant, et dixerunt ei : Numquid et nos cæci sumus ?
- Dixit eis Jesus : Si cæci essetis, non haberetis peccatum. Nunc vero dicitis, Quia videmus : peccatum vestrum manet.
| John 9 Text (KJV)
- And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
- And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
- Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.
- I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
- As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.
- When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay,
- And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing.
- The neighbours therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this he that sat and begged?
- Some said, This is he: others said, He is like him: but he said, I am he.
- Therefore said they unto him, How were thine eyes opened?
- He answered and said, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight.
- Then said they unto him, Where is he? He said, I know not.
- They brought to the Pharisees him that aforetime was blind.
- And it was the sabbath day when Jesus made the clay, and opened his eyes.
- Then again the Pharisees also asked him how he had received his sight. He said unto them, He put clay upon mine eyes, and I washed, and do see.
- Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them.
- They say unto the blind man again, What sayest thou of him, that he hath opened thine eyes? He said, He is a prophet.
- But the Jews did not believe concerning him, that he had been blind, and received his sight, until they called the parents of him that had received his sight.
- And they asked them, saying, Is this your son, who ye say was born blind? how then doth he now see?
- His parents answered them and said, We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind:
- But by what means he now seeth, we know not; or who hath opened his eyes, we know not: he is of age; ask him: he shall speak for himself.
- These words spake his parents, because they feared the Jews: for the Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that he was Christ, he should be put out of the synagogue.
- Therefore said his parents, He is of age; ask him.
- Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner.
- He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see.
- Then said they to him again, What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes?
- He answered them, I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear it again? will ye also be his disciples?
- Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples.
- We know that God spake unto Moses: as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is.
- The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes.
- Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.
- Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind.
- If this man were not of God, he could do nothing.
- They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us? And they cast him out.
- Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God?
- He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him?
- And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee.
- And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.
- And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.
- And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?
- Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.