| Job 4 - Versions
| Job 4 Text (WEB)
- Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered,
- "If someone ventures to talk with you, will you be grieved? But who can withhold himself from speaking?
- Behold, you have instructed many, you have strengthened the weak hands.
- Your words have supported him who was falling, You have made firm the feeble knees.
- But now it is come to you, and you faint. It touches you, and you are troubled.
- Isn't your piety your confidence? Isn't the integrity of your ways your hope?
- "Remember, now, whoever perished, being innocent? Or where were the upright cut off?
- According to what I have seen, those who plow iniquity, and sow trouble, reap the same.
- By the breath of God they perish. By the blast of his anger are they consumed.
- The roaring of the lion, and the voice of the fierce lion, the teeth of the young lions, are broken.
- The old lion perishes for lack of prey. The cubs of the lioness are scattered abroad.
- "Now a thing was secretly brought to me. My ear received a whisper of it.
- In thoughts from the visions of the night, when deep sleep falls on men,
- fear came on me, and trembling, which made all my bones shake.
- Then a spirit passed before my face. The hair of my flesh stood up.
- It stood still, but I couldn't discern its appearance. A form was before my eyes. Silence, then I heard a voice, saying,
- 'Shall mortal man be more just than God? Shall a man be more pure than his Maker?
- Behold, he puts no trust in his servants. He charges his angels with error.
- How much more, those who dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation is in the dust, who are crushed before the moth!
- Between morning and evening they are destroyed. They perish forever without any regarding it.
- Isn't their tent cord plucked up within them? They die, and that without wisdom.'
| Job 4 Text (Hebrew)
- ויען אליפז התימני ויאמר׃
- הנסה דבר אליך תלאה ועצר במלין מי יוכל׃
- הנה יסרת רבים וידים רפות תחזק׃
- כושל יקימון מליך וברכים כרעות תאמץ׃
- כי עתה תבוא אליך ותלא תגע עדיך ותבהל׃
- הלא יראתך כסלתך תקותך ותם דרכיך׃
- זכר־נא מי הוא נקי אבד ואיפה ישרים נכחדו׃
- כאשר ראיתי חרשי און וזרעי עמל יקצרהו׃
- מנשמת אלוה יאבדו ומרוח אפו יכלו׃
- שאגת אריה וקול שחל ושני כפירים נתעו׃
- ליש אבד מבלי־טרף ובני לביא יתפרדו׃
- ואלי דבר יגנב ותקח אזני שמץ מנהו׃
- בשעפים מחזינות לילה בנפל תרדמה על־אנשים׃
- פחד קראני ורעדה ורב עצמותי הפחיד׃
- ורוח על־פני יחלף תסמר שערת בשרי׃
- יעמד ולא־אכיר מראהו תמונה לנגד עיני דממה וקול אשמע׃
- האנוש מאלוה יצדק אמ מעשהו יטהר־גבר׃
- הן בעבדיו לא יאמין ובמלאכיו ישים תהלה׃
- אף שכני בתי־חמר אשר־בעפר יסודם ידכאום לפני־עש׃
- מבקר לערב יכתו מבלי משים לנצח יאבדו׃
- הלא־נסע יתרם בם ימותו ולא בחכמה׃
| Job 4 Text (Latin)
- Respondens autem Eliphaz Themanites, dixit :
- Si cœperimus loqui tibi, forsitan moleste accipies ; sed conceptum sermonem tenere quis poterit ?
- Ecce docuisti multos, et manus lassas roborasti ;
- vacilantes confirmaverunt sermones tui, et genua trementia confortasti.
- Nunc autem venit super te plaga, et defecisti ; tetigit te, et conturbatus es.
- Ubi est timor tuus, fortitudo tua ? patientia tua et perfectio viarum tuarum ?
- Recordare, obsecro te, quis umquam innocens periit ; aut quando recti deleti sunt ?
- Quin potius vidi eos qui operantur iniquitatem, et seminant dolores, et metunt eos,
- flante Deo perisse, et spiritu iræ ejus esse consumptos.
- Rugitus leonis, et vox leænæ, et dentes catulorum leonum contriti sunt.
- Tigris periit, eo quod non haberet prædam, et catuli leonis dissipati sunt.
- Porro ad me dictum est verbum absconditum, et quasi furtive suscepit auris mea venas susurri ejus.
- In horrore visionis nocturnæ, quando solet sopor occupare homines,
- pavor tenuit me, et tremor, et omnia ossa mea perterrita sunt ;
- et cum spiritus, me præsente, transiret, inhorruerunt pili carnis meæ.
- Stetit quidam, cujus non agnoscebam vultum, imago coram oculis meis, et vocem quasi auræ lenis audivi.
- Numquid homo, Dei comparatione, justificabitur ? aut factore suo purior erit vir ?
- Ecce qui serviunt ei, non sunt stabiles, et in angelis suis reperit pravitatem ;
- quanto magis hi qui habitant domos luteas, qui terrenum habent fundamentum, consumentur velut a tinea !
- De mane usque ad vesperam succidentur ; et quia nullus intelligit, in æternum peribunt.
- Qui autem reliqui fuerint, auferentur ex eis ; morientur, et non in sapientia.
| Job 4 Text (KJV)
- Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered and said,
- If we assay to commune with thee, wilt thou be grieved? but who can withhold himself from speaking?
- Behold, thou hast instructed many, and thou hast strengthened the weak hands.
- Thy words have upholden him that was falling, and thou hast strengthened the feeble knees.
- But now it is come upon thee, and thou faintest; it toucheth thee, and thou art troubled.
- Is not this thy fear, thy confidence, thy hope, and the uprightness of thy ways?
- Remember, I pray thee, who ever perished, being innocent? or where were the righteous cut off?
- Even as I have seen, they that plow iniquity, and sow wickedness, reap the same.
- By the blast of God they perish, and by the breath of his nostrils are they consumed.
- The roaring of the lion, and the voice of the fierce lion, and the teeth of the young lions, are broken.
- The old lion perisheth for lack of prey, and the stout lion's whelps are scattered abroad.
- Now a thing was secretly brought to me, and mine ear received a little thereof.
- In thoughts from the visions of the night, when deep sleep falleth on men,
- Fear came upon me, and trembling, which made all my bones to shake.
- Then a spirit passed before my face; the hair of my flesh stood up:
- It stood still, but I could not discern the form thereof: an image was before mine eyes, there was silence, and I heard a voice, saying,
- Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
- Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly:
- How much less in them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation is in the dust, which are crushed before the moth?
- They are destroyed from morning to evening: they perish for ever without any regarding it.
- Doth not their excellency which is in them go away? they die, even without wisdom.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
This article is a stub. You can help WikiChristian by expanding it. For help please read the WikiChristian Tutorial and our writing guide.
Return to Christianity -> Bible -> Job