| Job 20 - Versions
| Job 20 Text (WEB)
- Then Zophar the Naamathite answered,
- "Therefore do my thoughts give answer to me, even by reason of my haste that is in me.
- I have heard the reproof which puts me to shame. The spirit of my understanding answers me.
- Don't you know this from old time, since man was placed on earth,
- that the triumphing of the wicked is short, the joy of the godless but for a moment?
- Though his height mount up to the heavens, and his head reach to the clouds,
- yet he shall perish forever like his own dung. Those who have seen him shall say, 'Where is he?'
- He shall fly away as a dream, and shall not be found. Yes, he shall be chased away like a vision of the night.
- The eye which saw him shall see him no more, neither shall his place any more see him.
- His children shall seek the favor of the poor. His hands shall give back his wealth.
- His bones are full of his youth, but youth shall lie down with him in the dust.
- "Though wickedness is sweet in his mouth, though he hide it under his tongue,
- though he spare it, and will not let it go, but keep it still within his mouth;
- yet his food in his bowels is turned. It is cobra venom within him.
- He has swallowed down riches, and he shall vomit them up again. God will cast them out of his belly.
- He shall suck cobra venom. The viper's tongue shall kill him.
- He shall not look at the rivers, the flowing streams of honey and butter.
- That for which he labored he shall restore, and shall not swallow it down. According to the substance that he has gotten, he shall not rejoice.
- For he has oppressed and forsaken the poor. He has violently taken away a house, and he shall not build it up.
- "Because he knew no quietness within him, he shall not save anything of that in which he delights.
- There was nothing left that he didn't devour, therefore his prosperity shall not endure.
- In the fullness of his sufficiency, distress shall overtake him. The hand of everyone who is in misery shall come on him.
- When he is about to fill his belly, God will cast the fierceness of his wrath on him. It will rain on him while he is eating.
- He shall flee from the iron weapon. The bronze arrow shall strike him through.
- He draws it forth, and it comes out of his body. Yes, the glittering point comes out of his liver. Terrors are on him.
- All darkness is laid up for his treasures. An unfanned fire shall devour him. It shall consume that which is left in his tent.
- The heavens shall reveal his iniquity. The earth shall rise up against him.
- The increase of his house shall depart. They shall rush away in the day of his wrath.
- This is the portion of a wicked man from God, the heritage appointed to him by God."
| Job 20 Text (Hebrew)
- ויען צפר הנעמתי ויאמר׃
- לכן שעפי ישיבוני ובעבור חושי בי׃
- מוסר כלמתי אשמע ורוח מבינתי יענני׃
- הזאת ידעת מני־עד מני שים אדם עלי־ארץ׃
- כי רננת רשעים מקרוב ושמחת חנף עדי־רגע׃
- אם־יעלה לשמים שיאו וראשו לעב יגיע׃
- כגללו לנצח יאבד ראיו יאמרו איו׃
- כחלום יעוף ולא ימצאוהו וידד כחזיון לילה׃
- עין שזפתו ולא תוסיף ולא־עוד תשורנו מקומו׃
- בניו ירצו דלים וידיו תשבנה אונו׃
- עצמותיו מלאו ועמו על־עפר תשכב׃
- אם־תמתיק בפיו רעה יכחידנה תחת לשונו׃
- יחמל עליה ולא יעזבנה וימנענה בתוך חכו׃
- לחמו במעיו נהפך מרורת פתנים בקרבו׃
- חיל בלע ויקאנו מבטנו יורשנו אל׃
- ראש־פתנים יינק תהרגהו לשון אפעה׃
- אל־ירא בפלגות נהרי נחלי דבש וחמאה׃
- משיב יגע ולא יבלע כחיל תמורתו ולא יעלס׃
- כי־רץץ עזב דלים בית גזל ולא יבנהו׃
- כי לא־ידע שלו בבטנו בחמודו לא ימלט׃
- אין־שריד לאכלו על־כן לא־יחיל טובו׃
- במלאות שפקו יצר לו כל־יד עמל תבואנו׃
- יהי למלא בטנו ישלח־בו חרון אפו וימטר עלימו בלחומו׃
- יברח מנשק ברזל תחלפהו קשת נחושה׃
- שלף ויצא מגוה וברק ממררתו יהלך עליו אמים׃
- כל־חשך טמון לצפוניו תאכלהו אש לא־נפח ירע שריד באהלו׃
- יגלו שמים עונו וארץ מתקוממה לו׃
- יגל יבול ביתו נגרות ביום אפו׃
- זה חלק־אדם רשע מאלהים ונחלת אמרו מאל׃ ף
| Job 20 Text (Latin)
- Respondens autem Sophar Naamathites, dixit :
- Idcirco cogitationes meæ variæ succedunt sibi, et mens in diversa rapitur.
- Doctrinam qua me arguis audiam, et spiritus intelligentiæ meæ respondebit mihi.
- Hoc scio a principio, ex quo positus est homo super terram,
- quod laus impiorum brevis sit, et gaudium hypocritæ ad instar puncti.
- Si ascenderit usque ad cælum superbia ejus, et caput ejus nubes tetigerit,
- quasi sterquilinium in fine perdetur, et qui eum viderant, dicent : Ubi est ?
- Velut somnium avolans non invenietur : transiet sicut visio nocturna.
- Oculus qui eum viderat non videbit, neque ultra intuebitur eum locus suus.
- Filii ejus atterentur egestate, et manus illius reddent ei dolorem suum.
- Ossa ejus implebuntur vitiis adolescentiæ ejus, et cum eo in pulvere dormient.
- Cum enim dulce fuerit in ore ejus malum, abscondet illud sub lingua sua.
- Parcet illi, et non derelinquet illud, et celabit in gutture suo.
- Panis ejus in utero illius vertetur in fel aspidum intrinsecus.
- Divitias quas devoravit evomet, et de ventre illius extrahet eas Deus.
- Caput aspidum suget, et occidet eum lingua viperæ.
- (Non videat rivulos fluminis, torrentes mellis et butyri.)
- Luet quæ fecit omnia, nec tamen consumetur : juxta multitudinem adinventionum suarum, sic et sustinebit.
- Quoniam confringens nudavit pauperes : domum rapuit, et non ædificavit eam.
- Nec est satiatus venter ejus : et cum habuerit quæ concupierat, possidere non poterit.
- Non remansit de cibo ejus : et propterea nihil permanebit de bonis ejus.
- Cum satiatus fuerit, arctabitur : æstuabit, et omnis dolor irruet super eum.
- Utinam impleatur venter ejus, ut emittat in eum iram furoris sui, et pluat super illum bellum suum !
- Fugiet arma ferrea, et irruet in arcum æreum.
- Eductus, et egrediens de vagina sua, et fulgurans in amaritudine sua : vadent et venient super eum horribiles.
- Omnes tenebræ absconditæ sunt in occultis ejus : devorabit eum ignis qui non succenditur : affligetur relictus in tabernaculo suo.
- Revelabunt cæli iniquitatem ejus, et terra consurget adversus eum.
- Apertum erit germen domus illius : detrahetur in die furoris Dei.
- Hæc est pars hominis impii a Deo, et hæreditas verborum ejus a Domino.
| Job 20 Text (KJV)
- Then answered Zophar the Naamathite, and said,
- Therefore do my thoughts cause me to answer, and for this I make haste.
- I have heard the check of my reproach, and the spirit of my understanding causeth me to answer.
- Knowest thou not this of old, since man was placed upon earth,
- That the triumphing of the wicked is short, and the joy of the hypocrite but for a moment?
- Though his excellency mount up to the heavens, and his head reach unto the clouds;
- Yet he shall perish for ever like his own dung: they which have seen him shall say, Where is he?
- He shall fly away as a dream, and shall not be found: yea, he shall be chased away as a vision of the night.
- The eye also which saw him shall see him no more; neither shall his place any more behold him.
- His children shall seek to please the poor, and his hands shall restore their goods.
- His bones are full of the sin of his youth, which shall lie down with him in the dust.
- Though wickedness be sweet in his mouth, though he hide it under his tongue;
- Though he spare it, and forsake it not; but keep it still within his mouth:
- Yet his meat in his bowels is turned, it is the gall of asps within him.
- He hath swallowed down riches, and he shall vomit them up again: God shall cast them out of his belly.
- He shall suck the poison of asps: the viper's tongue shall slay him.
- He shall not see the rivers, the floods, the brooks of honey and butter.
- That which he laboured for shall he restore, and shall not swallow it down: according to his substance shall the restitution be, and he shall not rejoice therein.
- Because he hath oppressed and hath forsaken the poor; because he hath violently taken away an house which he builded not;
- Surely he shall not feel quietness in his belly, he shall not save of that which he desired.
- There shall none of his meat be left; therefore shall no man look for his goods.
- In the fulness of his sufficiency he shall be in straits: every hand of the wicked shall come upon him.
- When he is about to fill his belly, God shall cast the fury of his wrath upon him, and shall rain it upon him while he is eating.
- He shall flee from the iron weapon, and the bow of steel shall strike him through.
- It is drawn, and cometh out of the body; yea, the glittering sword cometh out of his gall: terrors are upon him.
- All darkness shall be hid in his secret places: a fire not blown shall consume him; it shall go ill with him that is left in his tabernacle.
- The heaven shall reveal his iniquity; and the earth shall rise up against him.
- The increase of his house shall depart, and his goods shall flow away in the day of his wrath.
- This is the portion of a wicked man from God, and the heritage appointed unto him by God.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
This article is a stub. You can help WikiChristian by expanding it. For help please read the WikiChristian Tutorial and our writing guide.
Return to Christianity -> Bible -> Job