| Job 2 - Versions
| Job 2 Text (WEB)
- Again it happened on the day when the God's sons came to present themselves before Yahweh, that Satan came also among them to present himself before Yahweh.
- Yahweh said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered Yahweh, and said, "From going back and forth in the earth, and from walking up and down in it."
- Yahweh said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? For there is none like him in the earth, a blameless and an upright man, one who fears God, and turns away from evil. He still maintains his integrity, although you incited me against him, to ruin him without cause."
- Satan answered Yahweh, and said, "Skin for skin. Yes, all that a man has he will give for his life.
- But put forth your hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will renounce you to your face."
- Yahweh said to Satan, "Behold, he is in your hand. Only spare his life."
- So Satan went forth from the presence of Yahweh, and struck Job with painful sores from the sole of his foot to his head.
- He took for himself a potsherd to scrape himself with, and he sat among the ashes.
- Then his wife said to him, "Do you still maintain your integrity? Renounce God, and die."
- But he said to her, "You speak as one of the foolish women would speak. What? Shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?" In all this Job didn't sin with his lips.
- Now when Job's three friends heard of all this evil that had come on him, they each came from his own place: Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite, and they made an appointment together to come to sympathize with him and to comfort him.
- When they lifted up their eyes from a distance, and didn't recognize him, they raised their voices, and wept; and they each tore his robe, and sprinkled dust on their heads toward the sky.
- So they sat down with him on the ground seven days and seven nights, and none spoke a word to him, for they saw that his grief was very great.
| Job 2 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי היום ויבאו בני האלהים להתיצב על־יהוה ויבוא גם־השטן בתכם להתיצב על־יהוה׃
- ויאמר יהוה אל־השטן אי מזה תבא ויען השטן את־יהוה ויאמר משט בארץ ומהתהלך בה׃
- ויאמר יהוה אל־השטן השמת לבך אל־עבדי איוב כי אין כמהו בארץ איש תם וישר ירא אלהים וסר מרע ועדנו מחזיק בתמתו ותסיתני בו לבלעו חנם׃
- ויען השטן את־יהוה ויאמר עור בעד־עור וכל אשר לאיש יתן בעד נפשו׃
- אולם שלח־נא ידך וגע אל־עצמו ואל־בשרו אם־לא אל־פניך יברךך׃
- ויאמר יהוה אל־השטן הנו בידך אך את־נפשו שמר׃
- ויצא השטן מאת פני יהוה ויך את־איוב בשחין רע מכף רגלו קדקדו׃
- ויקח־לו חרש להתגרד בו והוא ישב בתוך־האפר׃
- ותאמר לו אשתו עדך מחזיק בתמתך ברך אלהים ומת׃
- ויאמר אליה כדבר אחת הנבלות תדברי גם את־הטוב נקבל מאת האלהים ואת־הרע לא נקבל בכל־זאת לא־חטא איוב בשפתיו׃ ף
- וישמעו שלשת רעי איוב את כל־הרעה הזאת הבאה עליו ויבאו איש ממקמו אליפז התימני ובלדד השוחי וצופר הנעמתי ויועדו יחדו לבוא לנוד־לו ולנחמו׃
- וישאו את־עיניהם מרחוק ולא הכירהו וישאו קולם ויבכו ויקרעו איש מעלו ויזרקו עפר על־ראשיהם השמימה׃
- וישבו אתו לארץ שבעת ימים ושבעת לילות ואין־דבר אליו דבר כי ראו כי־גדל הכאב מאד׃
| Job 2 Text (Latin)
- Factum est autem, cum quadam die venissent filii Dei, et starent coram Domino, venisset quoque Satan inter eos, et staret in conspectu ejus,
- ut diceret Dominus ad Satan : Unde venis ? Qui respondens ait : Circuivi terram, et perambulavi eam.
- Et dixit Dominus ad Satan : Numquid considerasti servum meum Job, quod non sit ei similis in terra, vir simplex et rectus, ac timens Dem, et recedens a malo, et adhuc retinens innocentiam ? Tu autem commovisti me adversus eum, ut affligerem eum frustra.
- Cui respondens Satan, ait : Pellem pro pelle, et cuncta quæ habet homo dabit pro anima sua ;
- alioquin mitte manum tuam, et tange os ejus et carnem ; et tunc videbis quod in faciem benedicat tibi.
- Dixit ergo Dominus ad Satan : Ecce in manu tua est ; verumtamen animam illius serva.
- Egressus igitur Satan a facie Domini, percussit Job ulcere pessimo, a planta pedis usque ad verticem ejus ;
- qui testa saniem radebat, sedens in sterquilinio.
- Dixit autem illi uxor sua : Adhuc tu permanes in simplicitate tua ? Benedic Deo, et morere.
- Qui ait ad illam : Quasi una de stultis mulieribus locuta es ; si bona suscepimus de manu Dei, mala quare non suscipiamus ? In omnibus his non peccavit Job labiis suis.
- Igitur audientes tres amici Job omne malum quod accidisset ei, venerunt singuli de loco suo, Eliphaz Themanites, et Baldad Suhites, et Sophar Naamathites. Condixerant enim ut pariter venientes visitarent eum, et consolarentur.
- Cumque elevassent procul oculos suos, non cognoverunt eum, et exclamantes ploraverunt, scissisque vestibus, sparserunt pulverem super caput suum in cælum.
- Et sederunt cum eo in terra septem diebus et septem noctibus ; et nemo loquebatur ei verbum, videbant enim dolorem esse vehementem.
| Job 2 Text (KJV)
- Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.
- And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.
- And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.
- And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.
- But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.
- And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life.
- So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown.
- And he took him a potsherd to scrape himself withal; and he sat down among the ashes.
- Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die.
- But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.
- Now when Job's three friends heard of all this evil that was come upon him, they came every one from his own place; Eliphaz the Temanite, and Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite: for they had made an appointment together to come to mourn with him and to comfort him.
- And when they lifted up their eyes afar off, and knew him not, they lifted up their voice, and wept; and they rent every one his mantle, and sprinkled dust upon their heads toward heaven.
- So they sat down with him upon the ground seven days and seven nights, and none spake a word unto him: for they saw that his grief was very great.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
This article is a stub. You can help WikiChristian by expanding it. For help please read the WikiChristian Tutorial and our writing guide.
Return to Christianity -> Bible -> Job