| Job 16 - Versions
| Job 16 Text (WEB)
- Then Job answered,
- "I have heard many such things. You are all miserable comforters!
- Shall vain words have an end? Or what provokes you that you answer?
- I also could speak as you do. If your soul were in my soul's place, I could join words together against you, and shake my head at you,
- but I would strengthen you with my mouth. The solace of my lips would relieve you.
- "Though I speak, my grief is not subsided. Though I forbear, what am I eased?
- But now, God, you have surely worn me out. You have made desolate all my company.
- You have shriveled me up. This is a witness against me. My leanness rises up against me. It testifies to my face.
- He has torn me in his wrath, and persecuted me. He has gnashed on me with his teeth. My adversary sharpens his eyes on me.
- They have gaped on me with their mouth. They have struck me on the cheek reproachfully. They gather themselves together against me.
- God delivers me to the ungodly, and casts me into the hands of the wicked.
- I was at ease, and he broke me apart. Yes, he has taken me by the neck, and dashed me to pieces. He has also set me up for his target.
- His archers surround me. He splits my kidneys apart, and does not spare. He pours out my gall on the ground.
- He breaks me with breach on breach. He runs on me like a giant.
- I have sewed sackcloth on my skin, and have thrust my horn in the dust.
- My face is red with weeping. Deep darkness is on my eyelids.
- Although there is no violence in my hands, and my prayer is pure.
- "Earth, don't cover my blood. Let my cry have no place to rest.
- Even now, behold, my witness is in heaven. He who vouches for me is on high.
- My friends scoff at me. My eyes pour out tears to God,
- that he would maintain the right of a man with God, of a son of man with his neighbor!
- For when a few years are come, I shall go the way of no return.
| Job 16 Text (Hebrew)
- ויען איוב ויאמר׃
- שמעתי כאלה רבות מנחמי עמל כלכם׃
- הקץ לדברי־רוח או מה־ימריצך כי תענה׃
- גם אנכי ככם אדברה לו־יש נפשכם תחת נפשי אחבירה עליכם במלים ואניעה עליכם במו ראשי׃
- אאמצכם במו־פי וניד שפתי יחשך׃
- אם־אדברה לא־יחשך כאבי ואחדלה מה־מני יהלך׃
- אך־עתה הלאני השמות כל־עדתי׃
- ותקמטני לעד היה ויקם בי כחשי בפני יענה׃
- אפו טרף וישטמני חרק עלי בשניו צרי ילטוש עיניו לי׃
- פערו עלי בפיהם בחרפה הכו לחיי יחד עלי יתמלאון׃
- יסגירני אל אל עויל ועל־ידי רשעים ירטני׃
- שלו הייתי ויפרפרני ואחז בערפי ויפצפצני ויקימני לו למטרה׃
- יסבו עלי רביו יפלח כליותי ולא יחמול ישפך לארץ מררתי׃
- יפרצני פרץ על־פני־פרץ ירץ עלי כגבור׃
- שק תפרתי עלי גלדי ועללתי בעפר קרני׃
- פני מני־בכי ועל עפעפי צלמות׃
- על לא־חמס בכפי ותפלתי זכה׃
- ארץ אל־תכסי דמי ואל־יהי מקום לזעקתי׃
- גם־עתה הנה־בשמים עדי ושהדי במרומים׃
- מליצי רעי אל־אלוה דלפה עיני׃
- ויוכח לגבר עם־אלוה ובן־אדם לרעהו׃
- כי־שנות מספר יאתיו וארח לא־אשוב אהלך׃
| Job 16 Text (Latin)
- Respondens autem Job, dixit :
- Audivi frequenter talia : consolatores onerosi omnes vos estis.
- Numquid habebunt finem verba ventosa ? aut aliquid tibi molestum est, si loquaris ?
- Poteram et ego similia vestri loqui : atque utinam esset anima vestra pro anima mea !
- Roborarem vos ore meo, et moverem labia mea, quasi parcens vobis.
- Sed quid agam ? Si locutus fuero, non quiescet dolor meus, et si tacuero, non recedet a me.
- Nunc autem oppressit me dolor meus, et in nihilum redacti sunt omnes artus mei.
- Rugæ meæ testimonium dicunt contra me, et suscitatur falsiloquus adversus faciem meam, contradicens mihi.
- Collegit furorem suum in me, et comminans mihi, infremuit contra me dentibus suis : hostis meus terribilibus oculis me intuitus est.
- Aperuerunt super me ora sua, et exprobrantes percusserunt maxillam meam : saciati sunt pœnis meis.
- Conclusit me Deus apud iniquum, et manibus impiorum me tradidit.
- Ego ille quondam opulentus, repente contritus sum : tenuit cervicem meam, confregit me, et posuit me sibi quasi in signum.
- Circumdedit me lanceis suis, convulneravit lumbos meos : non pepercit, et effudit in terra viscera mea.
- Concidit me vulnere super vulnus : irruit in me quasi gigas.
- Saccum consui super cutem meam, et operui cinere carnem meam.
- Facies mea intumuit a fletu, et palpebræ meæ caligaverunt.
- Hæc passus sum absque iniquitate manus meæ, cum haberem mundas ad Deum preces.
- Terra, ne operias sanguinem meum, neque inveniat in te locum latendi clamor meus :
- ecce enim in cælo testis meus et conscius meus in excelsis.
- Verbosi amivi mei : ad Deum stillat oculus meus :
- atque utinam sic judicaretur vir cum Deo, quomodo judicatur filius hominis cum collega suo !
- Ecce enim breves anni transeunt : et semitam per quam non revertar ambulo.
| Job 16 Text (KJV)
- Then Job answered and said,
- I have heard many such things: miserable comforters are ye all.
- Shall vain words have an end? or what emboldeneth thee that thou answerest?
- I also could speak as ye do: if your soul were in my soul's stead, I could heap up words against you, and shake mine head at you.
- But I would strengthen you with my mouth, and the moving of my lips should asswage your grief.
- Though I speak, my grief is not asswaged: and though I forbear, what am I eased?
- But now he hath made me weary: thou hast made desolate all my company.
- And thou hast filled me with wrinkles, which is a witness against me: and my leanness rising up in me beareth witness to my face.
- He teareth me in his wrath, who hateth me: he gnasheth upon me with his teeth; mine enemy sharpeneth his eyes upon me.
- They have gaped upon me with their mouth; they have smitten me upon the cheek reproachfully; they have gathered themselves together against me.
- God hath delivered me to the ungodly, and turned me over into the hands of the wicked.
- I was at ease, but he hath broken me asunder: he hath also taken me by my neck, and shaken me to pieces, and set me up for his mark.
- His archers compass me round about, he cleaveth my reins asunder, and doth not spare; he poureth out my gall upon the ground.
- He breaketh me with breach upon breach, he runneth upon me like a giant.
- I have sewed sackcloth upon my skin, and defiled my horn in the dust.
- My face is foul with weeping, and my eyelids is the shadow of death;
- Not for any injustice in mine hands: also my prayer is pure.
- O earth, cover not thou my blood, and let my cry have no place.
- Also now, behold, my witness is in heaven, and my record is on high.
- My friends scorn me: but mine eye poureth out tears unto God.
- O that one might plead for a man with God, as a man pleadeth for his neighbour!
- When a few years are come, then I shall go the way whence I shall not return.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
This article is a stub. You can help WikiChristian by expanding it. For help please read the WikiChristian Tutorial and our writing guide.
Return to Christianity -> Bible -> Job