| Jeremiah 19 - Versions
| Jeremiah 19 Text (WEB)
- Thus said Yahweh, Go, and buy a potter's earthen bottle, and [take] of the elders of the people, and of the elders of the priests;
- and go forth to the valley of the son of Hinnom, which is by the entry of the gate Harsith, and proclaim there the words that I shall tell you;
- and say, Hear the word of Yahweh, kings of Judah, and inhabitants of Jerusalem: thus says Yahweh of Armies, the God of Israel, Behold, I will bring evil on this place, which whoever hears, his ears shall tingle.
- Because they have forsaken me, and have estranged this place, and have burned incense in it to other gods, that they didn't know, they and their fathers and the kings of Judah; and have filled this place with the blood of innocents,
- and have built the high places of Baal, to burn their sons in the fire for burnt offerings to Baal; which I didn't command, nor spoke it, neither came it into my mind:
- therefore, behold, the days come, says Yahweh, that this place shall no more be called Topheth, nor The valley of the son of Hinnom, but The valley of Slaughter.
- I will make void the counsel of Judah and Jerusalem in this place; and I will cause them to fall by the sword before their enemies, and by the hand of those who seek their life: and their dead bodies will I give to be food for the birds of the sky, and for the animals of the earth.
- I will make this city an astonishment, and a hissing; everyone who passes thereby shall be astonished and hiss because of all its plagues.
- I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters; and they shall eat everyone the flesh of his friend, in the siege and in the distress, with which their enemies, and those who seek their life, shall distress them.
- Then you shall break the bottle in the sight of the men who go with you,
- and shall tell them, Thus says Yahweh of Armies: Even so will I break this people and this city, as one breaks a potter's vessel, that can't be made whole again; and they shall bury in Topheth, until there be no place to bury.
- Thus will I do to this place, says Yahweh, and to its inhabitants, even making this city as Topheth:
- and the houses of Jerusalem, and the houses of the kings of Judah, which are defiled, shall be as the place of Topheth, even all the houses on whose roofs they have burned incense to all the army of the sky, and have poured out drink offerings to other gods.
- Then came Jeremiah from Topheth, where Yahweh had sent him to prophesy; and he stood in the court of Yahweh's house, and said to all the people:
- Thus says Yahweh of Armies, the God of Israel, Behold, I will bring on this city and on all its towns all the evil that I have pronounced against it; because they have made their neck stiff, that they may not hear my words.
| Jeremiah 19 Text (Hebrew)
- כה אמר יהוה הלוך וקנית בקבק יוצר חרש ומזקני העם ומזקני הכהנים׃
- ויצאת אל־גיא בן־הנם אשר פתח שער וקראת שם את־הדברים אשר־אדבר אליך׃
- ואמרת שמעו דבר־יהוה מלכי יהודה וישבי ירושלם כה־אמר יהוה צבאות אלהי ישראל הנני מביא רעה על־המקום הזה אשר כל־שמעה תצלנה אזניו׃
- יען אשר עזבני וינכרו את־המקום הזה ויקטרו־בו לאלהים אחרים אשר לא־ידעום המה ואבותיהם ומלכי יהודה ומלאו את־המקום הזה דם נקים׃
- ובנו את־במות הבעל לשרף את־בניהם באש עלות לבעל אשר לא־צויתי ולא דברתי ולא עלתה על־לבי׃ ף
- לכן הנה־ימים באים נאם־יהוה ולא־יקרא למקום הזה עוד התפת וגיא בן־הנם כי אם־גיא ההרגה׃
- ובקתי את־עצת יהודה וירושלם במקום הזה והפלתים בחרב לפני איביהם וביד מבקשי נפשם ונתתי את־נבלתם למאכל לעוף השמים ולבהמת הארץ׃
- ושמתי את־העיר הזאת לשמה ולשרקה כל עבר עליה ישם וישרק על־כל־מכתה׃
- והאכלתים את־בשר בניהם ואת בשר בנתיהם ואיש בשר־רעהו יאכלו במצור ובמצוק אשר יציקו להם איביהם ומבקשי נפשם׃
- ושברת הבקבק לעיני האנשים ההלכים אותך׃
- ואמרת אליהם כה־אמר יהוה צבאות ככה אשבר את־העם הזה ואת־העיר הזאת כאשר ישבר את־כלי היוצר אשר לא־יוכל להרפה עוד ובתפת יקברו מאין מקום לקבור׃
- כן־אעשה למקום הזה נאם־יהוה וליושביו ולתת את־העיר הזאת כתפת׃
- והיו בתי ירושלם ובתי מלכי יהודה כמקום התפת הטמאים לכל הבתים אשר קטרו על־גגתיהם לכל צבא השמים והסך נסכים לאלהים אחרים׃ ף
- ויבא ירמיהו מהתפת אשר שלחו יהוה שם להנבא ויעמד בחצר בית־יהוה ויאמר אל־כל־העם׃ ס
- כה־אמר יהוה צבאות אלהי ישראל הנני אל־העיר הזאת ועל־כל־עריה את כל־הרעה אשר דברתי עליה כי הקשו את־ערפם לבלתי שמוע את־דברי׃
| Jeremiah 19 Text (Latin)
- Hæc dicit Dominus : Vade, et accipe lagunculam figuli testeam a senioribus populi, et a senioribus sacerdotum,
- et egredere ad vallem filii Ennom, quæ est juxta introitum portæ fictilis : et prædicabis ibi verba quæ ego loquar ad te.
- Et dices : Audite verbum Domini, reges Juda, et habitatores Jerusalem : Hæc dicit Dominus exercituum, Deus Israël : Ecce ego inducam afflictionem super locum istum, ita ut omnis qui audierit illam tinniant aures ejus,
- eo quod dereliquerint me, et alienum fecerint locum istum, et libaverunt in eo diis alienis, quos nescierunt, ipsi et patres eorum, et reges Juda, et repleverunt locum istum sanguine innocentum :
- et ædificaverunt excelsa Baalim, ad comburendos filios suos igni in holocaustum Baalim : quæ non præcepi, nec locutus sum, nec ascenderunt in cor meum.
- Propterea ecce dies veniunt, dicit Dominus, et non vocabitur amplius locus iste Topheth, et vallis filii Ennom, sed vallis occisionis.
- Et dissipabo consilium Juda et Jerusalem in loco isto : et subvertam eos gladio in conspectu inimicorum suorum, et in manu quærentium animas eorum : et dabo cadavera eorum escam volatilibus cæli et bestiis terræ.
- Et ponam civitatem hanc in stuporem, et in sibilum : omnis qui præterierit per eam obstupescet, et sibilabit super universa plaga ejus.
- Et cibabo eos carnibus filiorum suorum, et carnibus filiarum suarum : et unusquisque carnem amici sui comedet in obsidione, et in angustia in qua concludent eos inimici eorum, et qui quærunt animas eorum.
- Et conteres lagunculam in oculis virorum qui ibunt tecum,
- et dices ad eos : Hæc dicit Dominus exercituum : Sic conteram populum istum, et civitatem istam, sicut conteritur vas figuli, quod non potest ultra instaurari : et in Topheth sepelientur, eo quod non sit alius locus ad sepeliendum.
- Sic faciam loco huic, ait Dominus, et habitatoribus ejus, et ponam civitatem istam sicut Topheth.
- Et erunt domus Jerusalem, et domus regum Juda, sicut locus Topheth, immundæ, omnes domus in quarum domatibus sacrificaverunt omni militiæ cæli, et libaverunt libamina diis alienis.
- Venit autem Jeremias de Topheth, quo miserat eum Dominus ad prophetandum, et stetit in atrio domus Domini, et dixit ad omnem populum :
- Hæc dicit Dominus exercituum, Deus Israël : Ecce ego inducam super civitatem hanc, et super omnes urbes ejus, universa mala quæ locutus sum adversum eam, quoniam induraverunt cervicem suam ut non audirent sermones meos.
| Jeremiah 19 Text (KJV)
- Thus saith the LORD, Go and get a potter's earthen bottle, and take of the ancients of the people, and of the ancients of the priests;
- And go forth unto the valley of the son of Hinnom, which is by the entry of the east gate, and proclaim there the words that I shall tell thee,
- And say, Hear ye the word of the LORD, O kings of Judah, and inhabitants of Jerusalem; Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will bring evil upon this place, the which whosoever heareth, his ears shall tingle.
- Because they have forsaken me, and have estranged this place, and have burned incense in it unto other gods, whom neither they nor their fathers have known, nor the kings of Judah, and have filled this place with the blood of innocents;
- They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spake it, neither came it into my mind:
- Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that this place shall no more be called Tophet, nor The valley of the son of Hinnom, but The valley of slaughter.
- And I will make void the counsel of Judah and Jerusalem in this place; and I will cause them to fall by the sword before their enemies, and by the hands of them that seek their lives: and their carcases will I give to be meat for the fowls of the heaven, and for the beasts of the earth.
- And I will make this city desolate, and an hissing; every one that passeth thereby shall be astonished and hiss because of all the plagues thereof.
- And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend in the siege and straitness, wherewith their enemies, and they that seek their lives, shall straiten them.
- Then shalt thou break the bottle in the sight of the men that go with thee,
- And shalt say unto them, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Even so will I break this people and this city, as one breaketh a potter's vessel, that cannot be made whole again: and they shall bury them in Tophet, till there be no place to bury.
- Thus will I do unto this place, saith the LORD, and to the inhabitants thereof, and even make this city as Tophet:
- And the houses of Jerusalem, and the houses of the kings of Judah, shall be defiled as the place of Tophet, because of all the houses upon whose roofs they have burned incense unto all the host of heaven, and have poured out drink offerings unto other gods.
- Then came Jeremiah from Tophet, whither the LORD had sent him to prophesy; and he stood in the court of the LORD's house; and said to all the people,
- Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will bring upon this city and upon all her towns all the evil that I have pronounced against it, because they have hardened their necks, that they might not hear my words.