| Isaiah 66 - Versions
| Isaiah 66 Text (WEB)
- Thus says Yahweh, "Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: what kind of house will you build to me? and what place shall be my rest?
- For all these things has my hand made, and [so] all these things came to be," says Yahweh: "but to this man will I look, even to him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, and who trembles at my word.
- He who kills an ox is as he who kills a man; he who sacrifices a lamb, as he who breaks a dog's neck; he who offers an offering, [as he who offers] pig's blood; he who burns frankincense, as he who blesses an idol. Yes, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delights in their abominations:
- I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears on them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spoke, they did not hear: but they did that which was evil in my eyes, and chose that in which I didn't delight."
- Hear the word of Yahweh, you who tremble at his word: "Your brothers who hate you, who cast you out for my name's sake, have said, 'Let Yahweh be glorified, that we may see your joy;' but it is those who shall be disappointed.
- A voice of tumult from the city, a voice from the temple, a voice of Yahweh that renders recompense to his enemies.
- "Before she travailed, she brought forth; before her pain came, she delivered a son.
- Who has heard such a thing? who has seen such things? Shall a land be born in one day? shall a nation be brought forth at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.
- Shall I bring to the birth, and not cause to bring forth?" says Yahweh: "shall I who cause to bring forth shut [the womb]?" says your God.
- "Rejoice with Jerusalem, and be glad for her, all you who love her: rejoice for joy with her, all you who mourn over her;
- that you may nurse and be satisfied at the comforting breasts; that you may drink deeply, and be delighted with the abundance of her glory."
- For thus says Yahweh, "Behold, I will extend peace to her like a river, and the glory of the nations like an overflowing stream: and you will nurse. You will be carried on her side, and will be dandled on her knees.
- As one whom his mother comforts, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted in Jerusalem."
- You will see [it], and your heart shall rejoice, and your bones shall flourish like the tender grass: and the hand of Yahweh shall be known toward his servants; and he will have indignation against his enemies.
- For, behold, Yahweh will come with fire, and his chariots shall be like the whirlwind; to render his anger with fierceness, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
- For by fire will Yahweh execute judgment, and by his sword, on all flesh; and the slain of Yahweh shall be many.
- "Those who sanctify themselves and purify themselves [to go] to the gardens, behind one in the midst, eating pig's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, they shall come to an end together," says Yahweh.
- "For I [know] their works and their thoughts: [the time] comes, that I will gather all nations and languages; and they shall come, and shall see my glory.
- "I will set a sign among them, and I will send such as escape of them to the nations, to Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, who draw the bow, to Tubal and Javan, to the islands afar off, who have not heard my fame, neither have seen my glory; and they shall declare my glory among the nations.
- They shall bring all your brothers out of all the nations for an offering to Yahweh, on horses, and in chariots, and in litters, and on mules, and on dromedaries, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, says Yahweh, as the children of Israel bring their offering in a clean vessel into the house of Yahweh.
- Of them also will I take for priests [and] for Levites," says Yahweh.
- "For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me," says Yahweh, "so your seed and your name shall remain.
- It shall happen, that from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me," says Yahweh.
- "They shall go forth, and look on the dead bodies of the men who have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they will be loathsome to all mankind."
| Isaiah 66 Text (Hebrew)
- כה אמר יהוה השמים כסאי והארץ הדם רגלי אי־זה בית אשר תבנו־לי ואי־זה מקום מנוחתי׃
- ואת־כל־אלה ידי עשתה ויהיו כל־אלה נאם־יהוה ואל־זה אביט אל־עני ונכה־רוח וחרד על־דברי׃
- שוחט השור מכה־איש זובח השה ערף כלב מעלה מנחה דם־חזיר מזכיר לבנה מברך און גם־המה בחרו בדרכיהם ובשקוציהם נפשם חפצה׃
- גם־אני אבחר בתעלליהם ומגורתם אביא להם יען קראתי ואין עונה דברתי ולא שמעו ויעשו הרע בעיני ובאשר לא־חפצתי בחרו׃ ס
- שמעו דבר־יהוה החרדים אל־דברו אמרו אחיכם שנאיכם מנדיכם למען שמי יכבד יהוה ונראה בשמחתכם והם יבשו׃
- קול שאון מעיר קול מהיכל קול יהוה משלם גמול לאיביו׃
- בטרם תחיל ילדה בטרם יבוא חבל לה והמליטה זכר׃
- מי־שמע כזאת מי ראה כאלה היוחל ארץ ביום אחד אם־יולד גוי פעם אחת כי־חלה גם־ילדה ציון את־בניה׃
- האני אשביר ולא אוליד יאמר יהוה אם־אני המוליד ועצרתי אמר אלהיך׃ ס
- שמחו את־ירושלם וגילו בה כל־אהביה שישו אתה משוש כל־המתאבלים עליה׃
- למען תינקו ושבעתם משד תנחמיה למען תמצו והתענגתם מזיז כבודה׃ ס
- כי־כה אמר יהוה הנני נטה־אליה כנהר שלום וכנחל שוטף כבוד גוים וינקתם על־צד תנשאו ועל־ברכים תשעשעו׃
- כאיש אשר אמו תנחמנו כן אנכי אנחםכם ובירושלם תנחמו׃
- וראיתם ושש לבכם ועצמותיכם כדשא תפרחנה ונודעה יד־יהוה את־עבדיו וזעם את־איביו׃
- כי־הנה יהוה באש יבוא וכסופה מרכבתיו להשיב בחמה אפו וגערתו בלהבי־אש׃
- כי באש יהוה נשפט ובחרבו את־כל־בשר ורבו חללי יהוה׃
- המתקדשים והמטהרים אל־הגנות אחר בתוך אכלי בשר החזיר והשקץ והעכבר יחדו יספו נאם־יהוה׃
- ואנכי מעשיהם ומחשבתיהם באה לקבץ את־כל־הגוים והלשנות ובאו וראו את־כבודי׃
- ושמתי בהם אות ושלחתי מהם פליטים אל־הגוים תרשיש פול ולוד משכי קשת תבל ויון האיים הרחקים אשר לא־שמעו את־שמעי ולא־ראו את־כבודי והגידו את־כבודי בגוים׃
- והביאו את־כל־אחיכם מכל־הגוים מנחה ליהוה בסוסים וברכב ובצבים ובפרדים ובכרכרות על הר קדשי ירושלם אמר יהוה כאשר יביאו בני ישראל את־המנחה בכלי טהור בית יהוה׃
- וגם־מהם אקח לכהנים ללוים אמר יהוה׃
- כי כאשר השמים החדשים והארץ החדשה אשר אני עשה עמדים לפני נאם־יהוה כן יעמד זרעכם ושםכם׃
- והיה מדי־חדש בחדשו ומדי שבת בשבתו יבוא כל־בשר להשתחות לפני אמר יהוה׃
- ויצאו וראו בפגרי האנשים הפשעים בי כי תולעתם לא תמות ואשם לא תכבה והיו דראון לכל־בשר׃
| Isaiah 66 Text (Latin)
- Hæc dicit Dominus : Cælum sedes mea, terra autem scabellum pedum meorum. Quæ est ista domus quam ædificabitis mihi ? et quis est iste locus quietis meæ ?
- Omnia hæc manus mea fecit, et facta sunt universa ista, dicit Dominus ; ad quem autem respiciam, nisi ad pauperculum, et contritum spiritu, et trementem sermones meos ?
- Qui immolat bovem, quasi qui interficiat virum ; qui mactat pecus, quasi qui excerebret canem ; qui offert oblationem, quasi qui sanguinem suillum offerat ; qui recordatur thuris, quasi qui benedicat idolo. Hæc omnia elegerunt in viis suis, et in abominationibus suis anima eorum delectata est.
- Unde et ego eligam illusiones eorum, et quæ timebant adducam eis ; quia vocavi, et non erat qui responderet ; locutus sum, et non audierunt ; feceruntque malum in oculis meis et quæ nolui elegerunt.
- Audite verbum Domini, qui tremitis ad verbum ejus. Dixerunt fratres vestri odientes vos, et abjicientes propter nomen meum : Glorificetur Dominus, et videbimus in lætitia vestra ; ipsi autem confundentur.
- Vox populi de civitate, vox de templo, vox Domini reddentis retributionem inimicis suis.
- Antequam parturiret, peperit ; antequam veniret partus ejus, peperit masculum.
- Quis audivit umquam tale ? et quis vidit huic simile ? Numquid parturiet terra in die una, aut parietur gens simul, quia parturivit et peperit Sion filios suos ?
- Numquid ego qui alios parere facio, ipse non pariam ? dicit Dominus. Si ego, qui generationem ceteris tribuo, sterilis ero ? ait Dominus Deus tuus.
- Lætamini cum Jerusalem, et exsultate in ea, omnes qui diligitis eam ; gaudete cum ea gaudio, universi qui lugetis super eam ;
- ut sugatis et repleamini ab ubere consolationis ejus, ut mulgeatis et deliciis affluatis ab omnimoda gloria ejus.
- Quia hæc dicit Dominus : Ecce ego declinabo super eam quasi fluvium pacis, et quasi torrentem inundantem gloriam gentium, quam sugetis ; ad ubera portabimini, et super genua blandientur vobis.
- Quomodo si cui mater blandiatur, ita ego consolabor vos, et in Jerusalem consolabimini.
- Videbitis, et gaudebit cor vestrum ; et ossa vestra quasi herba germinabunt ; et cognoscetur manus Domini servis ejus, et indignabitur inimicis suis.
- Quia ecce Dominus in igne veniet, et quasi turbo quadrigæ ejus, reddere in indignatione furorem suum et increpationem suam in flamma ignis ;
- quia in igne Dominus dijudicabit, et in gladio suo ad omnem carnem ; et multiplicabuntur interfecti a Domino,
- qui sanctificabantur et mundos se putabant in hortis post januam intrinsecus, qui comedebant carnem suillam, et abominationem et murem : simul consumentur, dicit Dominus.
- Ego autem opera eorum et cogitationes eorum venio ut congregem, cum omnibus gentibus et linguis ; et venient, et videbunt gloriam meam.
- Et ponam in eis signum, et mittam ex eis qui salvati fuerint, ad gentes in mare, in Africam, et Lydiam, tendentes sagittam ; in Italiam et Græciam, ad insulas longe, ad eos qui non audierunt de me, et non viderunt gloriam meam. Et annuntiabunt gloriam meam gentibus ;
- et adducent omnes fratres vestros de cunctis gentibus donum Domino, in equis, et in quadrigis, et in lecticis, et in mulis, et in carrucis, ad montem sanctum meum Jerusalem, dicit Dominus, quomodo si inferant filii Israël munus in vase mundo in domum Domini.
- Et assumam ex eis in sacerdotes et Levitas, dicit Dominus.
- Quia sicut cæli novi, et terra nova, quæ ego facio stare coram me, dicit Dominus, sic stabit semen vestrum et nomen vestrum.
- Et erit mensis ex mense, et sabbatum ex sabbato ; veniet omnis caro ut adoret coram facie mea, dicit Dominus.
- Et egredientur, et videbunt cadavera, virorum qui prævaricati sunt in me ; vermis eorum non morietur, et ignis eorum non extinguetur ; et erunt usque ad satietatem visionis omni carni.
| Isaiah 66 Text (KJV)
- Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
- For all those things hath mine hand made, and those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.
- He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man; he that sacrificeth a lamb, as if he cut off a dog's neck; he that offereth an oblation, as if he offered swine's blood; he that burneth incense, as if he blessed an idol. Yea, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations.
- I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not.
- Hear the word of the LORD, ye that tremble at his word; your brethren that hated you, that cast you out for my name's sake, said, Let the LORD be glorified: but he shall appear to your joy, and they shall be ashamed.
- A voice of noise from the city, a voice from the temple, a voice of the LORD that rendereth recompence to his enemies.
- Before she travailed, she brought forth; before her pain came, she was delivered of a man child.
- Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? or shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.
- Shall I bring to the birth, and not cause to bring forth? saith the LORD: shall I cause to bring forth, and shut the womb? saith thy God.
- Rejoice ye with Jerusalem, and be glad with her, all ye that love her: rejoice for joy with her, all ye that mourn for her:
- That ye may suck, and be satisfied with the breasts of her consolations; that ye may milk out, and be delighted with the abundance of her glory.
- For thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will extend peace to her like a river, and the glory of the Gentiles like a flowing stream: then shall ye suck, ye shall be borne upon her sides, and be dandled upon her knees.
- As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you; and ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem.
- And when ye see this, your heart shall rejoice, and your bones shall flourish like an herb: and the hand of the LORD shall be known toward his servants, and his indignation toward his enemies.
- For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
- For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.
- They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.
- For I know their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory.
- And I will set a sign among them, and I will send those that escape of them unto the nations, to Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, that draw the bow, to Tubal, and Javan, to the isles afar off, that have not heard my fame, neither have seen my glory; and they shall declare my glory among the Gentiles.
- And they shall bring all your brethren for an offering unto the LORD out of all nations upon horses, and in chariots, and in litters, and upon mules, and upon swift beasts, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, saith the LORD, as the children of Israel bring an offering in a clean vessel into the house of the LORD.
- And I will also take of them for priests and for Levites, saith the LORD.
- For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
- And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
- And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.