| Isaiah 14 - Versions
| Isaiah 14 Text (WEB)
- For Yahweh will have compassion on Jacob, and will yet choose Israel, and set them in their own land. The foreigner will join himself with them, and they will unite with the house of Jacob.
- The peoples will take them, and bring them to their place. The house of Israel will possess them in Yahweh's land for servants and for handmaids. They will take as captives those whose captives they were; and they shall rule over their oppressors.
- It will happen in the day that Yahweh will give you rest from your sorrow, from your trouble, and from the hard service in which you were made to serve,
- that you will take up this parable against the king of Babylon, and say, "How the oppressor has ceased! The golden city has ceased!"
- Yahweh has broken the staff of the wicked, the scepter of the rulers,
- who struck the peoples in wrath with a continual stroke, who ruled the nations in anger, with a persecution that none restrained.
- The whole earth is at rest, and is quiet. They break out song.
- Yes, the fir trees rejoice with you, with the cedars of Lebanon, saying, "Since you are humbled, no lumberjack has come up against us."
- Sheol from beneath has moved for you to meet you at your coming. It stirs up the dead for you, even all the rulers of the earth. It has raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.
- They all will answer and ask you, "Have you also become as weak as we are? Have you become like us?"
- Your pomp is brought down to Sheol, with the sound of your stringed instruments. Maggots are spread out under you, and worms cover you.
- How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, who laid the nations low!
- You said in your heart, "I will ascend into heaven! I will exalt my throne above the stars of God! I will sit on the mountain of assembly, in the far north!
- I will ascend above the heights of the clouds! I will make myself like the Most High!"
- Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol, to the depths of the pit.
- Those who see you will stare at you. They will ponder you, saying, "Is this the man who made the earth to tremble, who shook kingdoms;
- who made the world like a wilderness, and overthrew its cities; who didn't release his prisoners to their home?"
- All the kings of the nations, sleep in glory, everyone in his own house.
- But you are cast away from your tomb like an abominable branch, clothed with the slain, who are thrust through with the sword, who go down to the stones of the pit; like a dead body trodden under foot.
- You will not join them in burial, because you have destroyed your land. You have killed your people. The seed of evildoers will not be named forever.
- Prepare for slaughter of his children because of the iniquity of their fathers, that they not rise up and possess the earth, and fill the surface of the world with cities.
- "I will rise up against them," says Yahweh of Armies, "and cut off from Babylon name and remnant, and son and son's son," says Yahweh.
- "I will also make it a possession for the porcupine, and pools of water. I will sweep it with the broom of destruction," says Yahweh of Armies.
- Yahweh of Armies has sworn, saying, "Surely, as I have thought, so shall it happen; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand:
- that I will break the Assyrian in my land, and tread him under foot on my mountains. Then his yoke will leave them, and his burden leave their shoulders.
- This is the plan that is determined for the whole earth. This is the hand that is stretched out over all the nations.
- For Yahweh of Armies has planned, and who can stop it? His hand is stretched out, and who can turn it back?"
- This burden was in the year that king Ahaz died.
- Don't rejoice, O Philistia, all of you, because the rod that struck you is broken; for out of the serpent's root an adder will emerge, and his fruit will be a fiery flying serpent.
- The firstborn of the poor will eat, and the needy will lie down in safety; and I will kill your root with famine, and your remnant will be killed.
- Howl, gate! Cry, city! You are melted away, Philistia, all of you; for smoke comes out of the north, and there is no straggler in his ranks.
- What will they answer the messengers of the nation? That Yahweh has founded Zion, and in her the afflicted of his people will take refuge.
| Isaiah 14 Text (Hebrew)
- כי ירחם יהוה את־יעקב ובחר עוד בישראל והניחם על־אדמתם ונלוה הגר עליהם ונספחו על־בית יעקב׃
- ולקחום עמים והביאום אל־מקוםם והתנחלום בית־ישראל על אדמת יהוה לעבדים ולשפחות והיו שבים לשביהם ורדו בנגשיהם׃ ס
- והיה ביום הניח יהוה לך מעצבך ומרגזך ומן־העבדה הקשה אשר עבד־בך׃
- ונשאת המשל הזה על־מלך בבל ואמרת איך שבת נגש שבתה מדהבה׃
- שבר יהוה מטה רשעים שבט משלים׃
- מכה עמים בעברה מכת בלתי סרה רדה באף גוים מרדף בלי חשך׃
- נחה שקטה כל־הארץ פצחו רנה׃
- גם־ברושים שמחו לך ארזי לבנונ מאז שכבת לא־יעלה הכרת עלינו׃
- שאול מתחת רגזה לך לקראת בואך עורר לך רפאים כל־עתודי ארץ הקים מכסאותם כל מלכי גוים׃
- כלם יענו ויאמרו אליך גם־אתה חלית כמונו אלינו נמשלת׃
- הורד שאול גאונך המית נבליך תחתיך יצע רמה ומכסיך תולעה׃
- איך נפלת משמים הילל בן־שחר נגדעת לארץ חולש על־גוים׃
- ואתה אמרת בלבבך השמים אעלה ממעל לכוכבי־אל ארים כסאי ואשב בהר־מועד בירכתי צפון׃
- אעלה על־במתי עב אדמה לעליון׃
- אך אל־שאול תורד אל־ירכתי־בור׃
- ראיך אליך ישגיחו אליך יתבוננו הזה האיש מרגיז הארץ מרעיש ממלכות׃
- שם תבל כמדבר ועריו הרס אסיריו לא־פתח ביתה׃
- כל־מלכי גוים כלם שכבו בכבוד איש בביתו׃
- ואתה השלכת מקברך כנצר נתעב לבוש הרגים מטעני חרב יורדי אל־אבני־בור כפגר מובס׃
- לא־תחד אתם בקבורה כי־ארצך שחת עמך הרגת לא־יקרא לעולם זרע מרעים׃
- הכינו לבניו מטבח בעון אבותם בל־יקמו וירשו ארץ ומלאו פני־תבל ערים׃
- וקמתי עליהם נאם יהוה צבאות והכרתי לבבל שם ושאר ונין ונכד נאם־יהוה׃
- ושמתיה למורש קפד ואגמי־מים וטאטאתיה במטאטא השמד נאם יהוה צבאות׃ ף
- נשבע יהוה צבאות לאמר אם־לא כאשר דמיתי כן היתה וכאשר יעצתי היא תקום׃
- לשבר אשור בארצי ועל־הרי אבוסנו וסר מעליהם עלו וסבלו מעל שכמו יסור׃
- זאת העצה היעוצה על־כל־הארץ וזאת היד הנטויה על־כל־הגוים׃
- כי־יהוה צבאות יעץ ומי יפר וידו הנטויה ומי ישיבנה׃ ף
- בשנת־מות המלך אחז היה המשא הזה׃
- אל־תשמחי פלשת כלך כי נשבר שבט מךך כי־משרש נחש יצא צפע ופריו שרף מעוףף׃
- ורעו בכורי דלים ואביונים לבטח ירבצו והמתי ברעב שרשך ושאריתך יהרג׃
- הילילי שער זעקי־עיר נמוג פלשת כלך כי מצפון עשן בא ואין בודד במועדיו׃
- ומה־יענה מלאכי־גוי כי יהוה יסד ציון ובה יחסו עניי עמו׃ ס
| Isaiah 14 Text (Latin)
- Prope est ut veniat tempus ejus, et dies ejus non elongabuntur. Miserebitur enim Dominus Jacob, et eliget adhuc de Israël, et requiescere eos faciet super humum suam ; adjungetur advena ad eos, et adhærebit domui Jacob.
- Et tenebunt eos populi, et adducent eos in locum suum ; et possidebit eos domus Israël super terram Domini in servos et ancillas : et erunt capientes eos qui se ceperant, et subjicient exactores suos.
- Et erit in die illa : cum requiem dederit tibi Deus a labore tuo, et a concussione tua, et a servitute dura qua ante servisti,
- sumes parabolam istam contra regem Babylonis, et dices : Quomodo cessavit exactor ; quievit tributum ?
- Contrivit Dominus baculum impiorum, virgam dominantium,
- cædentem populos in indignatione plaga insanabili, subjicientem in furore gentes, persequentem crudeliter.
- Conquievit et siluit omnis terra, gavisa est et exsultavit ;
- abietes quoque lætatæ sunt super te, et cedri Libani : ex quo dormisti, non ascendet qui succidat nos.
- Infernus subter conturbatus est in occursum adventus tui ; suscitavit tibi gigantes. Omnes principes terræ surrexerunt de soliis suis, omnes principes nationum.
- Universi respondebunt, et dicent tibi : Et tu vulneratus es sicut et nos ; nostri similis effectus es.
- Detracta est ad inferos superbia tua, concidit cadaver tuum ; subter te sternetur tinea, et operimentum tuum erunt vermes.
- Quomodo cecidisti de cælo, Lucifer, qui mane oriebaris ? corruisti in terram, qui vulnerabas gentes ?
- Qui dicebas in corde tuo : In cælum conscendam, super astra Dei exaltabo solium meum ; sedebo in monte testamenti, in lateribus aquilonis ;
- ascendam super altitudinem nubium, similis ero Altissimo ?
- Verumtamen ad infernum detraheris, in profundum laci.
- Qui te viderint, ad te inclinabuntur, teque prospicient : Numquid iste est vir qui conturbavit terram, qui concussit regna,
- qui posuit orbem desertum, et urbes ejus destruxit, vinctis ejus non aperuit carcerem ?
- Omnes reges gentium universi dormierunt in gloria, vir in domo sua ;
- tu autem projectus es de sepulchro tuo, quasi stirps inutilis pollutus, et obvolutus cum his qui interfecti sunt gladio, et descenderunt ad fundamenta laci, quasi cadaver putridum.
- Non habebis consortium, neque cum eis in sepultura ; tu enim terram tuam disperdidisti, tu populum tuum occidisti : non vocabitur in æternum semen pessimorum.
- Præparate filios ejus occisioni, in iniquitate patrum suorum : non consurgent, nec hæreditabunt terram, neque implebunt faciem orbis civitatum.
- Et consurgam super eos, dicit Dominus exercituum ; et perdam Babylonis nomen, et reliquias, et germen, et progeniem, dicit Dominus ;
- et ponam eam in possessionem ericii, et in paludes aquarum, et scopabo eam in scopa terens, dicit Dominus exercituum.
- Juravit Dominus exercituum, dicens : Si non, ut putavi, ita erit ; et quomodo mente tractavi,
- sic eveniet : ut conteram Assyrium in terra mea, et in montibus meis conculcem eum ; et auferetur ab eis jugum ejus, et onus illius ab humero eorum tolletur.
- Hoc consilium quod cogitavi super omnem terram ; et hæc est manus extenta super universas gentes.
- Dominus enim exercituum decrevit ; et quis poterit infirmare ? et manus ejus extenta ; et quis avertet eam ?
- In anno quo mortuus est rex Achaz, factum est onus istud :
- Ne lætaris, Philisthæa omnis tu, quoniam comminuta est virga percussoris tui ; de radice enim colubri egredietur regulus, et semen ejus absorbens volucrem.
- Et pascentur primogeniti pauperum, et pauperes fiducialiter requiescent ; et interire faciam in fame radicem tuam, et reliquias tuas interficiam.
- Ulula, porta ; clama civitas ; prostrata est Philisthæa omnis ; ab aquilone enim fumus veniet, et non est qui effugiet agmen ejus.
- Et quid respondebitur nuntiis gentis ? Quia Dominus fundavit Sion, et in ipso sperabunt pauperes populi ejus.
| Isaiah 14 Text (KJV)
- For the LORD will have mercy on Jacob, and will yet choose Israel, and set them in their own land: and the strangers shall be joined with them, and they shall cleave to the house of Jacob.
- And the people shall take them, and bring them to their place: and the house of Israel shall possess them in the land of the LORD for servants and handmaids: and they shall take them captives, whose captives they were; and they shall rule over their oppressors.
- And it shall come to pass in the day that the LORD shall give thee rest from thy sorrow, and from thy fear, and from the hard bondage wherein thou wast made to serve,
- That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased!
- The LORD hath broken the staff of the wicked, and the sceptre of the rulers.
- He who smote the people in wrath with a continual stroke, he that ruled the nations in anger, is persecuted, and none hindereth.
- The whole earth is at rest, and is quiet: they break forth into singing.
- Yea, the fir trees rejoice at thee, and the cedars of Lebanon, saying, Since thou art laid down, no feller is come up against us.
- Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.
- All they shall speak and say unto thee, Art thou also become weak as we? art thou become like unto us?
- Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee.
- How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
- For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
- I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
- Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
- They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;
- That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?
- All the kings of the nations, even all of them, lie in glory, every one in his own house.
- But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase trodden under feet.
- Thou shalt not be joined with them in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land, and slain thy people: the seed of evildoers shall never be renowned.
- Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.
- For I will rise up against them, saith the LORD of hosts, and cut off from Babylon the name, and remnant, and son, and nephew, saith the LORD.
- I will also make it a possession for the bittern, and pools of water: and I will sweep it with the besom of destruction, saith the LORD of hosts.
- The LORD of hosts hath sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand:
- That I will break the Assyrian in my land, and upon my mountains tread him under foot: then shall his yoke depart from off them, and his burden depart from off their shoulders.
- This is the purpose that is purposed upon the whole earth: and this is the hand that is stretched out upon all the nations.
- For the LORD of hosts hath purposed, and who shall disannul it? and his hand is stretched out, and who shall turn it back?
- In the year that king Ahaz died was this burden.
- Rejoice not thou, whole Palestina, because the rod of him that smote thee is broken: for out of the serpent's root shall come forth a cockatrice, and his fruit shall be a fiery flying serpent.
- And the firstborn of the poor shall feed, and the needy shall lie down in safety: and I will kill thy root with famine, and he shall slay thy remnant.
- Howl, O gate; cry, O city; thou, whole Palestina, art dissolved: for there shall come from the north a smoke, and none shall be alone in his appointed times.
- What shall one then answer the messengers of the nation? That the LORD hath founded Zion, and the poor of his people shall trust in it.