| Habakkuk 2 - Versions
| Habakkuk 2 Text (WEB)
- I will stand at my watch, and set myself on the ramparts, and will look out to see what he will say to me, and what I will answer concerning my complaint.
- Yahweh answered me, "Write the vision, and make it plain on tablets, that he who runs may read it.
- For the vision is yet for the appointed time, and it hurries toward the end, and won't prove false. Though it takes time, wait for it; because it will surely come. It won't delay.
- Behold, his soul is puffed up. It is not upright in him, but the righteous will live by his faith.
- Yes, moreover, wine is treacherous. A haughty man who doesn't stay at home, who enlarges his desire as Sheol, and he is like death, and can't be satisfied, but gathers to himself all nations, and heaps to himself all peoples.
- Won't all these take up a parable against him, and a taunting proverb against him, and say, 'Woe to him who increases that which is not his, and who enriches himself by extortion! How long?'
- Won't your debtors rise up suddenly, and wake up those who make you tremble, and you will be their victim?
- Because you have plundered many nations, all the remnant of the peoples will plunder you, because of men's blood, and for the violence done to the land, to the city and to all who dwell in it.
- Woe to him who gets an evil gain for his house, that he may set his nest on high, that he may be delivered from the hand of evil!
- You have devised shame to your house, by cutting off many peoples, and have sinned against your soul.
- For the stone will cry out of the wall, and the beam out of the woodwork will answer it.
- Woe to him who builds a town with blood, and establishes a city by iniquity!
- Behold, isn't it of Yahweh of Armies that the peoples labor for the fire, and the nations weary themselves for vanity?
- For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of Yahweh, as the waters cover the sea.
- "Woe to him who gives his neighbor drink, pouring your inflaming wine until they are drunk, so that you may gaze at their naked bodies!
- You are filled with shame, and not glory. You will also drink, and be exposed! The cup of Yahweh's right hand will come around to you, and disgrace will cover your glory.
- For the violence done to Lebanon will overwhelm you, and the destruction of the animals, which made them afraid; because of men's blood, and for the violence done to the land, to every city and to those who dwell in them.
- "What value does the engraved image have, that its maker has engraved it; the molten image, even the teacher of lies, that he who fashions its form trusts in it, to make mute idols?
- Woe to him who says to the wood, 'Awake!' or to the mute stone, 'Arise!' Shall this teach? Behold, it is overlaid with gold and silver, and there is no breath at all in its midst.
- But Yahweh is in his holy temple. Let all the earth be silent before him!"
| Habakkuk 2 Text (Hebrew)
- על־משמרתי אעמדה ואתיצבה על־מצור ואצפה לראות מה־ידבר־בי ומה אשיב על־תוכחתי׃
- ויענני יהוה ויאמר כתוב חזון ובאר על־הלחות למען ירוץ קורא בו׃
- כי עוד חזון למועד ויפח לקץ ולא יכזב אם־יתמהמה חכה־לו כי־בא יבא לא יאחר׃
- הנה עפלה לא־ישרה נפשו בו וצדיק באמונתו יחיה׃
- ואף כי־היין בוגד גבר יהיר ולא ינוה אשר הרחיב כשאול נפשו והוא כמות ולא ישבע ויאסף אליו כל־הגוים ויקבץ אליו כל־העמים׃
- הלוא־אלה כלם עליו משל ישאו ומליצה חידות לו ויאמר הוי המרבה לא־לו עד־מתי ומכביד עליו עבטיט׃
- הלוא פתע יקומו נשכיך ויקצו מזעזעיך והיית למשסות למו׃
- כי אתה שלות גוים רבים ישלוך כל־יתר עמים מדמי אדם וחמס־ארץ קריה וכל־ישבי בה׃ ף
- הוי בצע בצע רע לביתו לשום במרום קנו להנצל מכף־רע׃
- יעצת בשת לביתך קצות־עמים רבים וחוטא נפשך׃
- כי־אבן מקיר תזעק וכפיס מעץ יעננה׃ ף
- הוי בנה עיר בדמים וכוןן קריה בעולה׃
- הלוא הנה מאת יהוה צבאות וייגעו עמים בדי־אש ולאמים בדי־ריק יעפו׃
- כי תמלא הארץ לדעת את־כבוד יהוה כמים יכסו על־ים׃ ס
- הוי משקה רעהו מספח חמתך ואף שכר למען הביט על־מעוריהם׃
- שבעת קלון מכבוד שתה גם־אתה והערל תסוב עליך כוס ימין יהוה וקיקלון על־כבודך׃
- כי חמס לבנון יכסך ושד בהמות יחיתן מדמי אדם וחמס־ארץ קריה וכל־ישבי בה׃ ס
- מה־הועיל פסל כי פסלו יצרו מסכה ומורה שקר כי בטח יצר יצרו עליו לעשות אלילים אלמים׃ ס
- הוי אמר לעץ הקיצה עורי לאבן דוםם הוא יורה הנה־הוא תפוש זהב וכסף וכל־רוח אין בקרבו׃
- ויהוה בהיכל קדשו הס מפניו כל־הארץ׃ ף
| Habakkuk 2 Text (Latin)
- Super custodiam meam stabo, et figam gradum super munitionem : et contemplabor ut videam quid dicatur mihi, et quid respondeam ad arguentem me.
- Et respondit mihi Dominus, et dixit : Scribe visum, et explana eum super tabulas, ut percurrat qui legerit eum.
- Quia adhuc visus procul ; et apparebit in finem, et non mentietur : si moram fecerit, exspecta illum, quia veniens veniet, et non tardabit.
- Ecce qui incredulus est, non erit recta anima ejus in semetipso ; justus autem in fide sua vivet.
- Et quomodo vinum potantem decipit, sic erit vir superbus, et non decorabitur : qui dilatavit quasi infernus animam suam, et ipse quasi mors, et non adimpletur : et congregabit ad se omnes gentes, et coacervabit ad se omnes populos.
- Numquid non omnes isti super eum parabolam sument, et loquelam ænigmatum ejus, et dicetur : Væ ei qui multiplicat non sua ? usquequo et aggravat contra se densum lutum ?
- Numquid non repente consurgent qui mordeant te, et suscitabuntur lacerantes te, et eris in rapinam eis ?
- Quia tu spoliasti gentes multas, spoliabunt te omnes qui reliqui fuerint de populis, propter sanguinem hominis, et iniquitatem terræ, civitatis, et omnium habitantium in ea.
- Væ qui congregat avaritiam malam domui suæ, ut sit in excelso nidus ejus, et liberari se putat de manu mali !
- Cogitasti confusionem domui tuæ ; concidisti populos multos, et peccavit anima tua.
- Quia lapis de pariete clamabit, et lignum, quod inter juncturas ædificiorum est, respondebit.
- Væ qui ædificat civitatem in sanguinibus, et præparat urbem in iniquitate !
- Numquid non hæc sunt a Domino exercituum ? laborabunt enim populi in multo igne, et gentes in vacuum, et deficient.
- Quia replebitur terra, ut cognoscant gloriam Domini, quasi aquæ operientes mare.
- Væ qui potum dat amico suo mittens fel suum, et inebrians ut aspiciat nuditatem ejus !
- Repletus es ignominia pro gloria ; bibe tu quoque, et consopire. Circumdabit te calix dexteræ Domini, et vomitus ignominiæ super gloriam tuam.
- Quia iniquitas Libani operiet te, et vastitas animalium deterrebit eos de sanguinibus hominum, et iniquitate terræ, et civitatis, et omnium habitantium in ea.
- Quid prodest sculptile, quia sculpsit illud fictor suus, conflatile, et imaginem falsam ? quia speravit in figmento fictor ejus, ut faceret simulacra muta.
- Væ qui dicit ligno : Expergiscere ; Surge, lapidi tacenti ! Numquid ipse docere poterit ? ecce iste coopertus est auro et argento, et omnis spiritus non est in visceribus ejus.
- Dominus autem in templo sancto suo : sileat a facie ejus omnis terra !
| Habakkuk 2 Text (KJV)
- I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved.
- And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.
- For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.
- Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.
- Yea also, because he transgresseth by wine, he is a proud man, neither keepeth at home, who enlargeth his desire as hell, and is as death, and cannot be satisfied, but gathereth unto him all nations, and heapeth unto him all people:
- Shall not all these take up a parable against him, and a taunting proverb against him, and say, Woe to him that increaseth that which is not his! how long? and to him that ladeth himself with thick clay!
- Shall they not rise up suddenly that shall bite thee, and awake that shall vex thee, and thou shalt be for booties unto them?
- Because thou hast spoiled many nations, all the remnant of the people shall spoil thee; because of men's blood, and for the violence of the land, of the city, and of all that dwell therein.
- Woe to him that coveteth an evil covetousness to his house, that he may set his nest on high, that he may be delivered from the power of evil!
- Thou hast consulted shame to thy house by cutting off many people, and hast sinned against thy soul.
- For the stone shall cry out of the wall, and the beam out of the timber shall answer it.
- Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and stablisheth a city by iniquity!
- Behold, is it not of the LORD of hosts that the people shall labour in the very fire, and the people shall weary themselves for very vanity?
- For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.
- Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!
- Thou art filled with shame for glory: drink thou also, and let thy foreskin be uncovered: the cup of the LORD's right hand shall be turned unto thee, and shameful spewing shall be on thy glory.
- For the violence of Lebanon shall cover thee, and the spoil of beasts, which made them afraid, because of men's blood, and for the violence of the land, of the city, and of all that dwell therein.
- What profiteth the graven image that the maker thereof hath graven it; the molten image, and a teacher of lies, that the maker of his work trusteth therein, to make dumb idols?
- Woe unto him that saith to the wood, Awake; to the dumb stone, Arise, it shall teach! Behold, it is laid over with gold and silver, and there is no breath at all in the midst of it.
- But the LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him.