|SERMONS, ESSAYS AND OPINIONS|
God is the central being of all existence. He is eternal in that he has no beginning and no end. In the first chapter of the first book of Bible an account is given of God creating the universe and the earth and creating people in his own image. The Bible also reveals that God is full of mercy and love (for example 1 John 4:8. Millions of people in the world trust in God as their master and Lord and also their saviour. He is a personal being, who is three in one - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. the Bible also reveals that God stands ready to come into any person's life when that person acknowledges him and repents of having not lived his way - this is when a person is born again.
Although the mere existence of God can be deduced by natural reason his nature is beyond our understanding. He gives life to all and he is the author of love and forgiveness. John 1:4 describes this beautifully:
God is also completely holy and without any evil.
The Trinity is the Christian doctrine (or teaching) that describes the three-in-one (triune) nature of God. Although impossible to fully grasp, the Bible reveals that God is there is one and only one God, and also that the Father is God, and yet Jesus the Son is God, and also the Holy Spirit is God. That is, there is one God who eternally exists in three distinct persons.
Sri Aurobindo, in Thoughts and Aphorisms
- A God who cannot smile could not have created this humorous universe.
Robertson Davies in Conversations
- A man who recognizes no God is probably placing an inordinate value on himself.
- Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish
- God heals, and the doctor takes the fee.
- God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.
- God will look to every soul like its first love because He is its first love.
- If God thinks this state of war in the universe a price worth paying for free will...then we may take it it is worth paying.
Galileo Galilei (1564 ~ 1642)
- I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them.
- If God lived on earth, people would break his windows.
- If you do not believe in a personal God the question: `What is the purpose of life?' is unaskable and unanswerable.
- It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
- Reason can never prove the existence of God.
- They say that God is everywhere, and yet we always think of Him as somewhat of a recluse.
- With God, every moment is the moment of beginning again.
- You can live without God, but you better not die without him.
- God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.
- God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.
Exodus 3:14 (King James Version)
- God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
Isaiah 45:5-7 (King James Version)
- I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me: That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else. I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
- And God said, 'Let there be light' and there was light, but the Electricity Board said he would have to wait until Thursday to be connected.
- If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank.
- How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
Return to Christianity