| Genesis 25 - Versions
| Genesis 25 Text (WEB)
- Abraham took another wife, and her name was Keturah.
- She bore him Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah.
- Jokshan became the father of Sheba, and Dedan. The sons of Dedan were Asshurim, Letushim, and Leummim.
- The sons of Midian: Ephah, Epher, Hanoch, Abida, and Eldaah. All these were the children of Keturah.
- Abraham gave all that he had to Isaac,
- but to the sons of Abraham's concubines, Abraham gave gifts. He sent them away from Isaac his son, while he yet lived, eastward, to the east country.
- These are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived: one hundred seventy-five years.
- Abraham gave up the spirit, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years, and was gathered to his people.
- Isaac and Ishmael, his sons, buried him in the cave of Machpelah, in the field of Ephron, the son of Zohar the Hittite, which is before Mamre,
- the field which Abraham purchased of the children of Heth. Abraham was buried there with Sarah, his wife.
- It happened after the death of Abraham that God blessed Isaac, his son. Isaac lived by Beer Lahai Roi.
- Now this is the history of the generations of Ishmael, Abraham's son, whom Hagar the Egyptian, Sarah's handmaid, bore to Abraham.
- These are the names of the sons of Ishmael, by their names, according to the order of their birth: the firstborn of Ishmael, Nebaioth, then Kedar, Adbeel, Mibsam,
- Mishma, Dumah, Massa,
- Hadad, Tema, Jetur, Naphish, and Kedemah.
- These are the sons of Ishmael, and these are their names, by their villages, and by their encampments: twelve princes, according to their nations.
- These are the years of the life of Ishmael: one hundred thirty-seven years. He gave up the spirit and died, and was gathered to his people.
- They lived from Havilah to Shur that is before Egypt, as you go toward Assyria. He lived opposite all his relatives.
- This is the history of the generations of Isaac, Abraham's son. Abraham became the father of Isaac.
- Isaac was forty years old when he took Rebekah, the daughter of Bethuel the Syrian of Paddan Aram, the sister of Laban the Syrian, to be his wife.
- Isaac entreated Yahweh for his wife, because she was barren. Yahweh was entreated by him, and Rebekah his wife conceived.
- The children struggled together within her. She said, "If it be so, why do I live?" She went to inquire of Yahweh.
- Yahweh said to her, "Two nations are in your womb. Two peoples will be separated from your body. The one people will be stronger than the other people. The elder will serve the younger."
- When her days to be delivered were fulfilled, behold, there were twins in her womb.
- The first came out red all over, like a hairy garment. They named him Esau.
- After that, his brother came out, and his hand had hold on Esau's heel. He was named Jacob. Isaac was sixty years old when she bore them.
- The boys grew. Esau was a skillful hunter, a man of the field. Jacob was a quiet man, living in tents.
- Now Isaac loved Esau, because he ate his venison. Rebekah loved Jacob.
- Jacob boiled stew. Esau came in from the field, and he was famished.
- Esau said to Jacob, "Please feed me with that same red stew, for I am famished." Therefore his name was called Edom.
- Jacob said, "First, sell me your birthright."
- Esau said, "Behold, I am about to die. What good is the birthright to me?"
- Jacob said, "Swear to me first." He swore to him. He sold his birthright to Jacob.
- Jacob gave Esau bread and stew of lentils. He ate and drank, rose up, and went his way. So Esau despised his birthright.
| Genesis 25 Text (Hebrew)
- ויסף אברהם ויקח אשה ושמה קטורה׃
- ותלד לו את־זמרן ואת־יקשן ואת־מדן ואת־מדין ואת־ישבק ואת־שוח׃
- ויקשן ילד את־שבא ואת־דדן ובני דדן היו אשורם ולטושים ולאמים׃
- ובני מדין עיפה ועפר וחנך ואבידע ואלדעה כל־אלה בני קטורה׃
- ויתן אברהם את־כל־אשר־לו ליצחק׃
- ולבני הפילגשים אשר לאברהם נתן אברהם מתנת וישלחם מעל יצחק בנו בעודנו חי קדמה אל־ארץ קדם׃
- ואלה ימי שני־חיי אברהם אשר־חי מאת שנה ושבעים שנה וחמש שנים׃
- ויגוע וימת אברהם בשיבה טובה זקן ושבע ויאסף אל־עמיו׃
- ויקברו אתו יצחק וישמעאל בניו אל־מערת המכפלה אל־שדה עפרן בן־צחר החתי אשר על־פני ממרא׃
- השדה אשר־קנה אברהם מאת בני־חת שמה קבר אברהם ושרה אשתו׃
- ויהי אחרי מות אברהם ויברך אלהים את־יצחק בנו וישב יצחק עם־באר לחי ראי׃ ס
- ואלה תלדת ישמעאל בן־אברהם אשר ילדה הגר המצרית שפחת שרה לאברהם׃
- ואלה שמות בני ישמעאל בשמתם לתולדתם בכר ישמעאל נבית וקדר ואדבאל ומבשם׃
- ומשמע ודומה ומשא׃
- חדד ותימא יטור נפיש וקדמה׃
- אלה הם בני ישמעאל ואלה שמתם בחצריהם ובטירתם שנים־עשר נשיאם לאמתם׃
- ואלה שני חיי ישמעאל מאת שנה ושלשים שנה ושבע שנים ויגוע וימת ויאסף אל־עמיו׃
- וישכנו מחוילה עד־שור אשר על־פני מצרים באכה אשורה על־פני כל־אחיו נפל׃ ף
- ואלה תולדת יצחק בן־אברהם אברהם הוליד את־יצחק׃
- ויהי יצחק בן־ארבעים שנה בקחתו את־רבקה בת־בתואל הארמי מפדן ארם אחות לבן הארמי לו לאשה׃
- ויעתר יצחק ליהוה לנכח אשתו כי עקרה הוא ויעתר לו יהוה ותהר רבקה אשתו׃
- ויתרצצו הבנים בקרבה ותאמר אם־כן למה זה אנכי ותלך לדרש את־יהוה׃
- ויאמר יהוה לה שני בבטנך ושני לאמים ממעיך יפרדו ולאם מלאם יאמץ ורב יעבד צעיר׃
- וימלאו ימיה ללדת והנה תוםם בבטנה׃
- ויצא הראשון אדמוני כלו כאדרת שער ויקראו שמו עשו׃
- ואחרי־כן יצא אחיו וידו אחזת בעקב עשו ויקרא שמו יעקב ויצחק בן־ששים שנה בלדת אתם׃
- ויגדלו הנערים ויהי עשו איש ידע ציד איש שדה ויעקב איש תם ישב אהלים׃
- ויאהב יצחק את־עשו כי־ציד בפיו ורבקה אהבת את־יעקב׃
- ויזד יעקב נזיד ויבא עשו מן־השדה והוא עיף׃
- ויאמר עשו אל־יעקב הלעיטני נא מן־האדם האדם הזה כי עיף אנכי על־כן קרא־שמו אדום׃
- ויאמר יעקב מכרה כיום את־בכרתך לי׃
- ויאמר עשו הנה אנכי הולך למות ולמה־זה לי בכרה׃
- ויאמר יעקב השבעה לי כיומ וישבע לו וימכר את־בכרתו ליעקב׃
- ויעקב נתן לעשו לחם ונזיד עדשים ויאכל וישת ויקם וילך ויבז עשו את־הבכרה׃ ס
| Genesis 25 Text (Latin)
- Abraham vero aliam duxit uxorem nomine Ceturam :
- quæ peperit ei Zamran et Jecsan, et Madam, et Madian, et Jesboc, et Sue.
- Jecsan quoque genuit Saba et Dadan. Filii Dadan fuerunt Assurim, et Latusim, et Loomin.
- At vero ex Madian ortus est Epha, et Opher, et Henoch, et Abida, et Eldaa : omnes hi filii Ceturæ.
- Deditque Abraham cuncta quæ possederat, Isaac :
- filiis autem concubinarum largitus est munera, et separavit eos ab Isaac filio suo, dum adhuc ipse viveret, ad plagam orientalem.
- Fuerunt autem dies vitæ Abrahæ, centum septuaginta quinque anni.
- Et deficiens mortuus est in senectute bona, provectæque ætatis et plenus dierum : congregatusque est ad populum suum.
- Et sepelierunt eum Isaac et Ismaël filii sui in spelunca duplici, quæ sita est in agro Ephron filii Seor Hethæi, e regione Mambre,
- quem emerat a filiis Heth : ibi sepultus est ipse, et Sara uxor ejus.
- Et post obitum illius benedixit Deus Isaac filio ejus, qui habitabat juxta puteum nomine Viventis et videntis.
- Hæ sunt generationes Ismaël filii Abrahæ, quem peperit ei Agar Ægyptia, famula Saræ : et
- hæc nomina filiorum ejus in vocabulis et generationibus suis. Primogenitus Ismaëlis Nabaioth, deinde Cedar, et Adbeel, et Mabsam,
- Masma quoque, et Duma, et Massa,
- Hadar, et Thema, et Jethur, et Naphis, et Cedma.
- Isti sunt filii Ismaëlis : et hæc nomina per castella et oppida eorum, duodecim principes tribuum suarum.
- Et facti sunt anni vitæ Ismaëlis centum triginta septem, deficiensque mortuus est, et appositus ad populum suum.
- Habitavit autem ab Hevila usque Sur, quæ respicit Ægyptum introëuntibus Assyrios ; coram cunctis fratribus suis obiit.
- Hæ quoque sunt generationes Isaac filii Abraham : Abraham genuit Isaac :
- qui cum quadraginta esset annorum, duxit uxorem Rebeccam filiam Bathuelis Syri de Mesopotamia, sororem Laban.
- Deprecatusque est Isaac Dominum pro uxore sua, eo quod esset sterilis : qui exaudivit eum, et dedit conceptum Rebeccæ.
- Sed collidebantur in utero ejus parvuli ; quæ ait : Si sic mihi futurum erat, quid necesse fuit concipere ? perrexitque ut consuleret Dominum.
- Qui respondens ait : Duæ gentes sunt in utero tuo, et duo populi ex ventre tuo dividentur, populusque populum superabit, et major serviet minori.
- Jam tempus pariendi advenerat, et ecce gemini in utero ejus reperti sunt.
- Qui prior egressus est, rufus erat, et totus in morem pellis hispidus : vocatumque est nomen ejus Esau. Protinus alter egrediens, plantam fratris tenebat manu : et idcirco appellavit eum Jacob.
- Sexagenarius erat Isaac quando nati sunt ei parvuli.
- Quibus adultis, factus est Esau vir gnarus venandi, et homo agricola : Jacob autem vir simplex habitabat in tabernaculis.
- Isaac amabat Esau, eo quod de venationibus illius vesceretur : et Rebecca diligebat Jacob.
- Coxit autem Jacob pulmentum : ad quem cum venisset Esau de agro lassus,
- ait : Da mihi de coctione hac rufa, quia oppido lassus sum. Quam ob causam vocatum est nomen ejus Edom.
- Cui dixit Jacob : Vende mihi primogenita tua.
- Ille respondit : En morior, quid mihi proderunt primogenita ?
- Ait Jacob : Jura ergo mihi. Juravit ei Esau et vendidit primogenita.
- Et sic, accepto pane et lentis edulio, comedit et bibit, et abiit, parvipendens quod primogenita vendidisset.
| Genesis 25 Text (KJV)
- Then again Abraham took a wife, and her name was Keturah.
- And she bare him Zimran, and Jokshan, and Medan, and Midian, and Ishbak, and Shuah.
- And Jokshan begat Sheba, and Dedan. And the sons of Dedan were Asshurim, and Letushim, and Leummim.
- And the sons of Midian; Ephah, and Epher, and Hanoch, and Abida, and Eldaah. All these were the children of Keturah.
- And Abraham gave all that he had unto Isaac.
- But unto the sons of the concubines, which Abraham had, Abraham gave gifts, and sent them away from Isaac his son, while he yet lived, eastward, unto the east country.
- And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, an hundred threescore and fifteen years.
- Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.
- And his sons Isaac and Ishmael buried him in the cave of Machpelah, in the field of Ephron the son of Zohar the Hittite, which is before Mamre;
- The field which Abraham purchased of the sons of Heth: there was Abraham buried, and Sarah his wife.
- And it came to pass after the death of Abraham, that God blessed his son Isaac; and Isaac dwelt by the well Lahai-roi.
- Now these are the generations of Ishmael, Abraham's son, whom Hagar the Egyptian, Sarah's handmaid, bare unto Abraham:
- And these are the names of the sons of Ishmael, by their names, according to their generations: the firstborn of Ishmael, Nebajoth; and Kedar, and Adbeel, and Mibsam,
- And Mishma, and Dumah, and Massa,
- Hadar, and Tema, Jetur, Naphish, and Kedemah:
- These are the sons of Ishmael, and these are their names, by their towns, and by their castles; twelve princes according to their nations.
- And these are the years of the life of Ishmael, an hundred and thirty and seven years: and he gave up the ghost and died; and was gathered unto his people.
- And they dwelt from Havilah unto Shur, that is before Egypt, as thou goest toward Assyria: and he died in the presence of all his brethren.
- And these are the generations of Isaac, Abraham's son: Abraham begat Isaac:
- And Isaac was forty years old when he took Rebekah to wife, the daughter of Bethuel the Syrian of Padan-aram, the sister to Laban the Syrian.
- And Isaac intreated the LORD for his wife, because she was barren: and the LORD was intreated of him, and Rebekah his wife conceived.
- And the children struggled together within her; and she said, If it be so, why am I thus? And she went to inquire of the LORD.
- And the LORD said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger.
- And when her days to be delivered were fulfilled, behold, there were twins in her womb.
- And the first came out red, all over like an hairy garment; and they called his name Esau.
- And after that came his brother out, and his hand took hold on Esau's heel; and his name was called Jacob: and Isaac was threescore years old when she bare them.
- And the boys grew: and Esau was a cunning hunter, a man of the field; and Jacob was a plain man, dwelling in tents.
- And Isaac loved Esau, because he did eat of his venison: but Rebekah loved Jacob.
- And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint:
- And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom.
- And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright.
- And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?
- And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob.
- Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright.