| Genesis 22 - Versions
| Genesis 22 Text (WEB)
- It happened after these things, that God tested Abraham, and said to him, "Abraham!" He said, "Here I am."
- He said, "Now take your son, your only son, whom you love, even Isaac, and go into the land of Moriah. Offer him there for a burnt offering on one of the mountains which I will tell you of."
- Abraham rose early in the morning, and saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son. He split the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went to the place of which God had told him.
- On the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place far off.
- Abraham said to his young men, "Stay here with the donkey. The boy and I will go yonder. We will worship, and come back to you."
- Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son. He took in his hand the fire and the knife. They both went together.
- Isaac spoke to Abraham his father, and said, "My father?" He said, "Here I am, my son." He said, "Here is the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?"
- Abraham said, "God will provide himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son." So they both went together.
- They came to the place which God had told him of. Abraham built the altar there, and laid the wood in order, bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar, on the wood.
- Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to kill his son.
- The angel of Yahweh called to him out of the sky, and said, "Abraham, Abraham!" He said, "Here I am."
- He said, "Don't lay your hand on the boy, neither do anything to him. For now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me."
- Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and saw that behind him was a ram caught in the thicket by his horns. Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering instead of his son.
- Abraham called the name of that place Yahweh Will Provide. As it is said to this day, "On Yahweh's mountain, it will be provided."
- The angel of Yahweh called to Abraham a second time out of the sky,
- and said, "I have sworn by myself, says Yahweh, because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only son,
- that I will bless you greatly, and I will multiply your seed greatly like the stars of the heavens, and like the sand which is on the seashore. Your seed will possess the gate of his enemies.
- In your seed will all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice."
- So Abraham returned to his young men, and they rose up and went together to Beersheba. Abraham lived at Beersheba.
- It happened after these things, that it was told Abraham, saying, "Behold, Milcah, she also has borne children to your brother Nahor:
- Uz his firstborn, Buz his brother, Kemuel the father of Aram,
- Chesed, Hazo, Pildash, Jidlaph, and Bethuel."
- Bethuel became the father of Rebekah. These eight Milcah bore to Nahor, Abraham's brother.
- His concubine, whose name was Reumah, also bore Tebah, Gaham, Tahash, and Maacah.
| Genesis 22 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי אחר הדברים האלה והאלהים נסה את־אברהם ויאמר אליו אברהם ויאמר הנני׃
- ויאמר קח־נא את־בנך את־יחידך אשר־אהבת את־יצחק ולך־לך אל־ארץ המריה והעלהו שם לעלה על אחד ההרים אשר אמר אליך׃
- וישכם אברהם בבקר ויחבש את־חמרו ויקח את־שני נעריו אתו ואת יצחק בנו ויבקע עצי עלה ויקם וילך אל־המקום אשר־אמר־לו האלהים׃
- ביום השלישי וישא אברהם את־עיניו וירא את־המקום מרחק׃
- ויאמר אברהם אל־נעריו שבו־לכם פה עם־החמור ואני והנער נלכה עד־כה ונשתחוה ונשובה אליכם׃
- ויקח אברהם את־עצי העלה וישם על־יצחק בנו ויקח בידו את־האש ואת־המאכלת וילכו שניהם יחדו׃
- ויאמר יצחק אל־אברהם אביו ויאמר אבי ויאמר הנני בני ויאמר הנה האש והעצים ואיה השה לעלה׃
- ויאמר אברהם אלהים יראה־לו השה לעלה בני וילכו שניהם יחדו׃
- ויבאו אל־המקום אשר אמר־לו האלהים ויבן שם אברהם את־המזבח ויערך את־העצים ויעקד את־יצחק בנו וישם אתו על־המזבח ממעל לעצים׃
- וישלח אברהם את־ידו ויקח את־המאכלת לשחט את־בנו׃
- ויקרא אליו מלאך יהוה מן־השמים ויאמר אברהם אברהם ויאמר הנני׃
- ויאמר אל־תשלח ידך אל־הנער ואל־תעש לו מאומה כי עתה ידעתי כי־ירא אלהים אתה ולא חשכת את־בנך את־יחידך ממני׃
- וישא אברהם את־עיניו וירא והנה־איל אחר נאחז בסבך בקרניו וילך אברהם ויקח את־האיל ויעלהו לעלה תחת בנו׃
- ויקרא אברהם שם־המקום ההוא יהוה יראה אשר יאמר היום בהר יהוה יראה׃
- ויקרא מלאך יהוה אל־אברהם שנית מן־השמים׃
- ויאמר בי נשבעתי נאם־יהוה כי יען אשר עשית את־הדבר הזה ולא חשכת את־בנך את־יחידך׃
- כי־ברך אברךך והרבה ארבה את־זרעך ככוכבי השמים וכחול אשר על־שפת הים וירש זרעך את שער איביו׃
- והתברכו בזרעך כל גויי הארץ עקב אשר שמעת בקלי׃
- וישב אברהם אל־נעריו ויקמו וילכו יחדו אל־באר שבע וישב אברהם בבאר שבע׃ ף
- ויהי אחרי הדברים האלה ויגד לאברהם לאמר הנה ילדה מלכה גם־הוא בנים לנחור אחיך׃
- את־עוץ בכרו ואת־בוז אחיו ואת־קמואל אבי ארם׃
- ואת־כשד ואת־חזו ואת־פלדש ואת־ידלף ואת בתואל׃
- ובתואל ילד את־רבקה שמנה אלה ילדה מלכה לנחור אחי אברהם׃
- ופילגשו ושמה ראומה ותלד גם־הוא את־טבח ואת־גחם ואת־תחש ואת־מעכה׃ ס
| Genesis 22 Text (Latin)
- Quæ postquam gesta sunt, tentavit Deus Abraham, et dixit ad eum : Abraham, Abraham. At ille respondit : Adsum.
- Ait illi : Tolle filium tuum unigenitum, quem diligis, Isaac, et vade in terram visionis, atque ibi offeres eum in holocaustum super unum montium quem monstravero tibi.
- Igitur Abraham de nocte consurgens, stravit asinum suum, ducens secum duos juvenes, et Isaac filium suum : cumque concidisset ligna in holocaustum, abiit ad locum quem præceperat ei Deus.
- Die autem tertio, elevatis oculis, vidit locum procul :
- dixitque ad pueros suos : Expectate hic cum asino : ego et puer illuc usque properantes, postquam adoraverimus, revertemur ad vos.
- Tulit quoque ligna holocausti, et imposuit super Isaac filium suum : ipse vero portabat in manibus ignem et gladium. Cumque duo pergerent simul,
- dixit Isaac patri suo : Pater mi. At ille respondit : Quid vis, fili ? Ecce, inquit, ignis et ligna : ubi est victima holocausti ?
- Dixit autem Abraham : Deus providebit sibi victimam holocausti, fili mi. Pergebant ergo pariter.
- Et venerunt ad locum quem ostenderat ei Deus, in quo ædificavit altare, et desuper ligna composuit ; cumque alligasset Isaac filium suum, posuit eum in altare super struem lignorum.
- Extenditque manum, et arripuit gladium, ut immolaret filium suum.
- Et ecce angelus Domini de cælo clamavit, dicens : Abraham, Abraham. Qui respondit : Adsum.
- Dixitque ei : Non extendas manum tuam super puerum, neque facias illi quidquam : nunc cognovi quod times Deum, et non pepercisti unigenito filio tuo propter me.
- Levavit Abraham oculos suos, viditque post tergum arietem inter vepres hærentem cornibus, quem assumens obtulit holocaustum pro filio.
- Appellavitque nomen loci illius, Dominus videt. Unde usque hodie dicitur : In monte Dominus videbit.
- Vocavit autem angelus Domini Abraham secundo de cælo, dicens :
- Per memetipsum juravi, dicit Dominus : quia fecisti hanc rem, et non pepercisti filio tuo unigenito propter me :
- benedicam tibi, et multiplicabo semen tuum sicut stellas cæli, et velut arenam quæ est in littore maris : possidebit semen tuum portas inimicorum suorum,
- et benedicentur in semine tuo omnes gentes terræ, quia obedisti voci meæ.
- Reversus est Abraham ad pueros suos, abieruntque Bersabee simul, et habitavit ibi.
- His ita gestis, nuntiatum est Abrahæ quod Melcha quoque genuisset filios Nachor fratri suo :
- Hus primogenitum, et Buz fratrem ejus, et Camuel patrem Syrorum,
- et Cased, et Azau, Pheldas quoque et Jedlaph,
- ac Bathuel, de quo nata est Rebecca : octo istos genuit Melcha, Nachor fratri Abrahæ.
- Concubina vero illius, nomine Roma, peperit Tabee, et Gaham, et Thahas, et Maacha.
| Genesis 22 Text (KJV)
- And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.
- And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.
- And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.
- Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off.
- And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you,
- And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together.
- And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
- And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.
- And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.
- And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.
- And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
- And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.
- And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.
- And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-jireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.
- And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,
- And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
- That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
- And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.
- So Abraham returned unto his young men, and they rose up and went together to Beer-sheba; and Abraham dwelt at Beer-sheba.
- And it came to pass after these things, that it was told Abraham, saying, Behold, Milcah, she hath also born children unto thy brother Nahor;
- Huz his firstborn, and Buz his brother, and Kemuel the father of Aram,
- And Chesed, and Hazo, and Pildash, and Jidlaph, and Bethuel.
- And Bethuel begat Rebekah: these eight Milcah did bear to Nahor, Abraham's brother.
- And his concubine, whose name was Reumah, she bare also Tebah, and Gaham, and Thahash, and Maachah.