| Genesis 20 - Versions
| Genesis 20 Text (WEB)
- Abraham traveled from there toward the land of the South, and lived between Kadesh and Shur. He lived as a foreigner in Gerar.
- Abraham said about Sarah his wife, "She is my sister." Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah.
- But God came to Abimelech in a dream of the night, and said to him, "Behold, you are a dead man, because of the woman whom you have taken. For she is a man's wife."
- Now Abimelech had not come near her. He said, "Lord, will you kill even a righteous nation?
- Didn't he tell me, 'She is my sister?' She, even she herself, said, 'He is my brother.' In the integrity of my heart and the innocence of my hands have I done this."
- God said to him in the dream, "Yes, I know that in the integrity of your heart you have done this, and I also withheld you from sinning against me. Therefore I didn't allow you to touch her.
- Now therefore, restore the man's wife. For he is a prophet, and he will pray for you, and you will live. If you don't restore her, know for sure that you will die, you, and all who are yours."
- Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants, and told all these things in their ear. The men were very scared.
- Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said to him, "What have you done to us? How have I sinned against you, that you have brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin? You have done deeds to me that ought not to be done!"
- Abimelech said to Abraham, "What did you see, that you have done this thing?"
- Abraham said, "Because I thought, 'Surely the fear of God is not in this place. They will kill me for my wife's sake.'
- Besides, she is indeed my sister, the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.
- It happened, when God caused me to wander from my father's house, that I said to her, 'This is your kindness which you shall show to me. Everywhere that we go, say of me, "He is my brother."'"
- Abimelech took sheep and cattle, male servants and female servants, and gave them to Abraham, and restored Sarah, his wife, to him.
- Abimelech said, "Behold, my land is before you. Dwell where it pleases you."
- To Sarah he said, "Behold, I have given your brother a thousand pieces of silver. Behold, it is for you a covering of the eyes to all that are with you. In front of all you are vindicated."
- Abraham prayed to God. God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his female servants, and they bore children.
- For Yahweh had closed up tight all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah, Abraham's wife.
| Genesis 20 Text (Hebrew)
- ויסע משם אברהם ארצה הנגב וישב בין־קדש ובין שור ויגר בגרר׃
- ויאמר אברהם אל־שרה אשתו אחתי הוא וישלח אבימלך מלך גרר ויקח את־שרה׃
- ויבא אלהים אל־אבימלך בחלום הלילה ויאמר לו הנך מת על־האשה אשר־לקחת והוא בעלת בעל׃
- ואבימלך לא קרב אליה ויאמר אדני הגוי גם־צדיק תהרג׃
- הלא הוא אמר־לי אחתי הוא והיא־גם־הוא אמרה אחי הוא בתם־לבבי ובנקין כפי עשיתי זאת׃
- ויאמר אליו האלהים בחלם גם אנכי ידעתי כי בתם־לבבך עשית זאת ואחשך גם־אנכי אותך מחטו־לי על־כן לא־נתתיך לנגע אליה׃
- ועתה השב אשת־האיש כי־נביא הוא ויתפלל בעדך וחיה ואם־אינך משיב דע כי־מות תמות אתה וכל־אשר־לך׃
- וישכם אבימלך בבקר ויקרא לכל־עבדיו וידבר את־כל־הדברים האלה באזניהם וייראו האנשים מאד׃
- ויקרא אבימלך לאברהם ויאמר לו מה־עשית לנו ומה־חטאתי לך כי־הבאת עלי ועל־ממלכתי חטאה גדלה מעשים אשר לא־יעשו עשית עמדי׃
- ויאמר אבימלך אל־אברהם מה ראית כי עשית את־הדבר הזה׃
- ויאמר אברהם כי אמרתי רק אין־יראת אלהים במקום הזה והרגוני על־דבר אשתי׃
- וגם־אמנה אחתי בת־אבי הוא אך לא בת־אמי ותהי־לי לאשה׃
- ויהי כאשר התעו אתי אלהים מבית אבי ואמר לה זה חסדך אשר תעשי עמדי אל כל־המקום אשר נבוא שמה אמרי־לי אחי הוא׃
- ויקח אבימלך צאן ובקר ועבדים ושפחת ויתן לאברהם וישב לו את שרה אשתו׃
- ויאמר אבימלך הנה ארצי לפניך בטוב בעיניך שב׃
- ולשרה אמר הנה נתתי אלף כסף לאחיך הנה הוא־לך כסות עינים לכל אשר אתך ואת כל ונכחת׃
- ויתפלל אברהם אל־האלהים וירפא אלהים את־אבימלך ואת־אשתו ואמהתיו וילדו׃
- כי־עצר עצר יהוה בעד כל־רחם לבית אבימלך על־דבר שרה אשת אברהם׃ ס
| Genesis 20 Text (Latin)
- Profectus inde Abraham in terram australem, habitavit inter Cades et Sur : et peregrinatus est in Geraris.
- Dixitque de Sara uxore suo : Soror mea est. Misit ergo Abimelech rex Geraræ, et tulit eam.
- Venit autem Deus ad Abimelech per somnium nocte, et ait illi : En morieris propter mulierem quam tulisti : habet enim virum.
- Abimelech vero non tetigerat eam, et ait : Domine, num gentem ignorantem et justam interficies ?
- nonne ipse dixit mihi : Soror mea est : et ipsa ait : Frater meus est ? In simplictate cordis mei, et munditia manuum mearum feci hoc.
- Dixitque ad eum Deus : Et ego scio quod simplici corde feceris : et ideo custodivi te ne peccares in me, et non dimisi ut tangeres eam.
- Nunc ergo redde viro suo uxorem, quia propheta est : et orabit pro te, et vives : si autem nolueris reddere, scito quod morte morieris tu, et omnia quæ tua sunt.
- Statimque de nocte consurgens Abimelech, vocavit omnes servos suos : et locutus est universa verba hæc in auribus eorum, timueruntque omnes viri valde.
- Vocavit autem Abimelech etiam Abraham, et dixit ei : Quid fecisti nobis ? quid peccavimus in te, quia induxisti super me et super regnum meum peccatum grande ? quæ non debuisti facere, fecisti nobis.
- Rursumque expostulans, ait : Quid vidisti, ut hoc faceres ?
- Respondit Abraham : Cogitavi mecum, dicens : Forsitan non est timor Dei in loco isto : et interficient me propter uxorem meam :
- alias autem et vere soror mea est, filia patris mei, et non filia matris meæ, et duxi eam in uxorem.
- Postquam autem eduxit me Deus de domo patris mei, dixi ad eam : Hanc misericordiam facies mecum : in omni loco, ad quem ingrediemur, dices quod frater tuus sim.
- Tulit igitur Abimelech oves et boves, et servos et ancillas, et dedit Abraham : reddiditque illi Saram uxorem suam,
- et ait : Terra coram vobis est, ubicumque tibi placuerit habita.
- Saræ autem dixit : Ecce mille argenteos dedi fratri tuo, hoc erit tibi in velamen oculorum ad omnes qui tecum sunt, et quocumque perrexeris : mementoque te deprehensam.
- Orante autem Abraham, sanavit Deus Abimelech et uxorem, ancillasque ejus, et pepererunt :
- concluserat enim Dominus omnem vulvam domus Abimelech propter Saram uxorem Abrahæ.
| Genesis 20 Text (KJV)
- And Abraham journeyed from thence toward the south country, and dwelled between Kadesh and Shur, and sojourned in Gerar.
- And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah.
- But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife.
- But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation?
- Said he not unto me, She is my sister? and she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this.
- And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.
- Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.
- Therefore Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants, and told all these things in their ears: and the men were sore afraid.
- Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said unto him, What hast thou done unto us? and what have I offended thee, that thou hast brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin? thou hast done deeds unto me that ought not to be done.
- And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What sawest thou, that thou hast done this thing?
- And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife's sake.
- And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.
- And it came to pass, when God caused me to wander from my father's house, that I said unto her, This is thy kindness which thou shalt shew unto me; at every place whither we shall come, say of me, He is my brother.
- And Abimelech took sheep, and oxen, and menservants, and womenservants, and gave them unto Abraham, and restored him Sarah his wife.
- And Abimelech said, Behold, my land is before thee: dwell where it pleaseth thee.
- And unto Sarah he said, Behold, I have given thy brother a thousand pieces of silver: behold, he is to thee a covering of the eyes, unto all that are with thee, and with all other: thus she was reproved.
- So Abraham prayed unto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maidservants; and they bare children.
- For the LORD had fast closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah Abraham's wife.