| Genesis 18 - Versions
| Genesis 18 Text (WEB)
- Yahweh appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day.
- He lifted up his eyes and looked, and saw that three men stood opposite him. When he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself to the earth,
- and said, "My lord, if now I have found favor in your sight, please don't go away from your servant.
- Now let a little water be fetched, wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree.
- I will get a morsel of bread so you can refresh your heart. After that you may go your way, now that you have come to your servant." They said, "Very well, do as you have said."
- Abraham hurried into the tent to Sarah, and said, "Quickly prepare three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes."
- Abraham ran to the herd, and fetched a tender and good calf, and gave it to the servant. He hurried to dress it.
- He took butter, milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them. He stood by them under the tree, and they ate.
- They asked him, "Where is Sarah, your wife?" He said, "See, in the tent."
- He said, "I will certainly return to you when the season comes round. Behold, Sarah your wife will have a son." Sarah heard in the tent door, which was behind him.
- Now Abraham and Sarah were old, well advanced in age. Sarah had passed the age of childbearing.
- Sarah laughed within herself, saying, "After I have grown old will I have pleasure, my lord being old also?"
- Yahweh said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh, saying, 'Will I really bear a child, yet I am old?'
- Is anything too hard for Yahweh? At the set time I will return to you, when the season comes round, and Sarah will have a son."
- Then Sarah denied, saying, "I didn't laugh," for she was afraid. He said, "No, but you did laugh."
- The men rose up from there, and looked toward Sodom. Abraham went with them to see them on their way.
- Yahweh said, "Will I hide from Abraham what I do,
- since Abraham has surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth will be blessed in him?
- For I have known him, to the end that he may command his children and his household after him, that they may keep the way of Yahweh, to do righteousness and justice; to the end that Yahweh may bring on Abraham that which he has spoken of him."
- Yahweh said, "Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous,
- I will go down now, and see whether their deeds are as bad as the reports which have come to me. If not, I will know."
- The men turned from there, and went toward Sodom, but Abraham stood yet before Yahweh.
- Abraham drew near, and said, "Will you consume the righteous with the wicked?
- What if there are fifty righteous within the city? Will you consume and not spare the place for the fifty righteous who are in it?
- Be it far from you to do things like that, to kill the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous should be like the wicked. May that be far from you. Shouldn't the Judge of all the earth do right?"
- Yahweh said, "If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sake."
- Abraham answered, "See now, I have taken it on myself to speak to the Lord, who am but dust and ashes.
- What if there will lack five of the fifty righteous? Will you destroy all the city for lack of five?" He said, "I will not destroy it, if I find forty-five there."
- He spoke to him yet again, and said, "What if there are forty found there?" He said, "I will not do it for the forty's sake."
- He said, "Oh don't let the Lord be angry, and I will speak. What if there are thirty found there?" He said, "I will not do it, if I find thirty there."
- He said, "See now, I have taken it on myself to speak to the Lord. What if there are twenty found there?" He said, "I will not destroy it for the twenty's sake."
- He said, "Oh don't let the Lord be angry, and I will speak just once more. What if ten are found there?" He said, "I will not destroy it for the ten's sake."
- Yahweh went his way, as soon as he had finished communing with Abraham, and Abraham returned to his place.
| Genesis 18 Text (Hebrew)
- וירא אליו יהוה באלני ממרא והוא ישב פתח־האהל כחם היום׃
- וישא עיניו וירא והנה שלשה אנשים נצבים עליו וירא וירץ לקראתם מפתח האהל וישתחו ארצה׃
- ויאמר אדני אם־נא מצאתי חן בעיניך אל־נא תעבר מעל עבדך׃
- יקח־נא מעט־מים ורחצו רגליכם והשענו תחת העץ׃
- ואקחה פת־לחם וסעדו לבכם אחר תעברו כי־על־כן עברתם על־עבדכם ויאמרו כן תעשה כאשר דברת׃
- וימהר אברהם האהלה אל־שרה ויאמר מהרי שלש סאים קמח סלת לושי ועשי עגות׃
- ואל־הבקר רץ אברהם ויקח בן־בקר רך וטוב ויתן אל־הנער וימהר לעשות אתו׃
- ויקח חמאה וחלב ובן־הבקר אשר עשה ויתן לפניהם והוא־עמד עליהם תחת העץ ויאכלו׃
- ויאמרו אליו איה שרה אשתך ויאמר הנה באהל׃
- ויאמר שוב אשוב אליך כעת חיה והנה־בן לשרה אשתך ושרה שמעת פתח האהל והוא אחריו׃
- ואברהם ושרה זקנים באים בימים חדל להיות לשרה ארח כנשים׃
- ותצחק שרה בקרבה לאמר אחרי בלתי היתה־לי עדנה ואדני זקן׃
- ויאמר יהוה אל־אברהם למה זה צחקה שרה לאמר האף אמנם אלד ואני זקנתי׃
- היפלא מיהוה דבר למועד אשוב אליך כעת חיה ולשרה בן׃
- ותכחש שרה לאמר לא צחקתי כי יראה ויאמר לא כי צחקת׃
- ויקמו משם האנשים וישקפו על־פני סדם ואברהם הלך עםם לשלחם׃
- ויהוה אמר המכסה אני מאברהם אשר אני עשה׃
- ואברהם היו יהיה לגוי גדול ועצום ונברכו בו כל גויי הארץ׃
- כי ידעתיו למען אשר יצוה את־בניו ואת־ביתו אחריו ושמרו דרך יהוה לעשות צדקה ומשפט למען הביא יהוה על־אברהם את אשר־דבר עליו׃
- ויאמר יהוה זעקת סדם ועמרה כי־רבה וחטאתם כי כבדה מאד׃
- ארדה־נא ואראה הכצעקתה הבאה אלי עשו כלה ואם־לא אדעה׃
- ויפנו משם האנשים וילכו סדמה ואברהם עודנו עמד לפני יהוה׃
- ויגש אברהם ויאמר האף תספה צדיק עם־רשע׃
- אולי יש חמשים צדיקם בתוך העיר האף תספה ולא־תשא למקום למען חמשים הצדיקם אשר בקרבה׃
- חללה לך מעשת כדבר הזה להמית צדיק עם־רשע והיה כצדיק כרשע חללה לך השפט כל־הארץ לא יעשה משפט׃
- ויאמר יהוה אם־אמצא בסדם חמשים צדיקם בתוך העיר ונשאתי לכל־המקום בעבורם׃
- ויען אברהם ויאמר הנה־נא הואלתי לדבר אל־אדני ואנכי עפר ואפר׃
- אולי יחסרון חמשים הצדיקם חמשה התשחית בחמשה את־כל־העיר ויאמר לא אשחית אם־אמצא שם ארבעים וחמשה׃
- ויסף עוד לדבר אליו ויאמר אולי ימצאון שם ארבעים ויאמר לא אעשה בעבור הארבעים׃
- ויאמר אל־נא יחר לאדני ואדברה אולי ימצאון שם שלשים ויאמר לא אעשה אם־אמצא שם שלשים׃
- ויאמר הנה־נא הואלתי לדבר אל־אדני אולי ימצאון שם עשרים ויאמר לא אשחית בעבור העשרים׃
- ויאמר אל־נא יחר לאדני ואדברה אך־הפעם אולי ימצאון שם עשרה ויאמר לא אשחית בעבור העשרה׃
- וילך יהוה כאשר כלה לדבר אל־אברהם ואברהם שב למקמו׃
| Genesis 18 Text (Latin)
- Apparuit autem ei Dominus in convalle Mambre sedenti in ostio tabernaculi sui in ipso fervore diei.
- Cumque elevasset oculos, apparuerunt ei tres viri stantes prope eum : quos cum vidisset, cucurrit in occursum eorum de ostio tabernaculi, et adoravit in terram.
- Et dixit : Domine, si inveni gratiam in oculis tuis, ne transeas servum tuum :
- sed afferam pauxillum aquæ, et lavate pedes vestros, et requiescite sub arbore.
- Ponamque buccellam panis, et confortate cor vestrum : postea transibitis : idcirco enim declinastis ad servum vestrum. Qui dixerunt : Fac ut locutus es.
- Festinavit Abraham in tabernaculum ad Saram, dixitque ei : Accelera, tria sata similæ commisce, et fac subcinericios panes.
- Ipse vero ad armentum cucurrit, et tulit inde vitulum tenerrimum et optimum, deditque puero : qui festinavit et coxit illum.
- Tulit quoque butyrum et lac, et vitulum quem coxerat, et posuit coram eis : ipse vero stabat juxta eos sub arbore.
- Cumque comedissent, dixerunt ad eum : Ubi est Sara uxor tua ? Ille respondit : Ecce in tabernaculo est.
- Cui dixit : Revertens veniam ad te tempore isto, vita comite, et habebit filium Sara uxor tua. Quo audito, Sara risit post ostium tabernaculi.
- Erant autem ambo senes, provectæque ætatis, et desierant Saræ fieri muliebria.
- Quæ risit occulte dicens : Postquam consenui, et dominus meus vetulus est, voluptati operam dabo ?
- Dixit autem Dominus ad Abraham : Quare risit Sara, dicens : Num vere paritura sum anus ?
- Numquid Deo quidquam est difficile ? juxta condictum revertar ad te hoc eodem tempore, vita comite, et habebit Sara filium.
- Negabit Sara, dicens : Non risi, timore perterrita. Dominus autem : Non est, inquit, ita : sed risisti.
- Cum ergo surrexissent inde viri, direxerunt oculos contra Sodomam : et Abraham simul gradiebatur, deducens eos.
- Dixitque Dominus : Num celare potero Abraham quæ gesturus sum :
- cum futurus sit in gentem magnam, ac robustissimam, et benedicendæ sint in illo omnes nationes terræ ?
- Scio enim quod præcepturus sit filiis suis, et domui suæ post se ut custodiant viam Domini, et faciant judicium et justitiam : ut adducat Dominus propter Abraham omnia quæ locutus est ad eum.
- Dixit itaque Dominus : Clamor Sodomorum et Gomorrhæ multiplicatus est, et peccatum eorum aggravatum est nimis.
- Descendam, et videbo utrum clamorem qui venit ad me, opere compleverint ; an non est ita, ut sciam.
- Converteruntque se inde, et abierunt Sodomam : Abraham vero adhuc stabat coram Domino.
- Et appropinquans ait : Numquid perdes justum cum impio ?
- si fuerint quinquaginta justi in civitate, peribunt simul ? et non parces loco illi propter quinquaginta justos, si fuerint in eo ?
- Absit a te ut rem hanc facias, et occidas justum cum impio, fiatque justus sicut impius, non est hoc tuum : qui judicas omnem terram, nequaquam facies judicium hoc.
- Dixitque Dominus ad eum : Si invenero Sodomis quinquaginta justos in medio civitatis, dimittam omni loco propter eos.
- Respondensque Abraham, ait : Quia semel cœpi, loquar ad Dominum meum, cum sim pulvis et cinis.
- Quid si minus quinquaginta justis quinque fuerint ? delebis, propter quadraginta quinque, universam urbem ? Et ait : Non delebo, si invenero ibi quadraginta quinque.
- Rursumque locutus est ad eum : Sin autem quadraginta ibi inventi fuerint, quid facies ? Ait : Non percutiam propter quadraginta.
- Ne quæso, inquit, indigneris, Domine, si loquar : quid si ibi inventi fuerint triginta ? Respondit : Non faciam, si invenero ibi triginta.
- Quia semel, ait, cœpi loquar ad Dominum meum : quid si ibi inventi fuerint viginti ? Ait : Non interficiam propter viginti.
- Obsecro, inquit, ne irascaris, Domine, si loquar adhuc semel : quid si inventi fuerint ibi decem ? Et dixit : Non delebo propter decem.
- Abiitque Dominus, postquam cessavit loqui ad Abraham : et ille reversus est in locum suum.
| Genesis 18 Text (KJV)
- And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;
- And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,
- And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:
- Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:
- And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.
- And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes upon the hearth.
- And Abraham ran unto the herd, and fetcht a calf tender and good, and gave it unto a young man; and he hasted to dress it.
- And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.
- And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife? And he said, Behold, in the tent.
- And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.
- Now Abraham and Sarah were old and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women.
- Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?
- And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old?
- Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.
- Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; but thou didst laugh.
- And the men rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way.
- And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;
- Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
- For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
- And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
- I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.
- And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.
- And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?
- Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?
- That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?
- And the LORD said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.
- And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes:
- Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.
- And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And he said, I will not do it for forty's sake.
- And he said unto him, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there.
- And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake.
- And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.
- And the LORD went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.