| Esther 5 - Versions
| Esther 5 Text (WEB)
- Now it happened on the third day that Esther put on her royal clothing, and stood in the inner court of the king's house, next to the king's house. The king sat on his royal throne in the royal house, next to the entrance of the house.
- When the king saw Esther the queen standing in the court, she obtained favor in his sight; and the king held out to Esther the golden scepter that was in his hand. So Esther came near, and touched the top of the scepter.
- Then the king asked her, "What would you like, queen Esther? What is your request? It shall be given you even to the half of the kingdom."
- Esther said, "If it seems good to the king, let the king and Haman come today to the banquet that I have prepared for him."
- Then the king said, "Bring Haman quickly, so that it may be done as Esther has said." So the king and Haman came to the banquet that Esther had prepared.
- The king said to Esther at the banquet of wine, "What is your petition? It shall be granted you. What is your request? Even to the half of the kingdom it shall be performed."
- Then Esther answered and said, "My petition and my request is this.
- If I have found favor in the sight of the king, and if it please the king to grant my petition and to perform my request, let the king and Haman come to the banquet that I will prepare for them, and I will do tomorrow as the king has said."
- Then Haman went out that day joyful and glad of heart, but when Haman saw Mordecai in the king's gate, that he didn't stand up nor move for him, he was filled with wrath against Mordecai.
- Nevertheless Haman restrained himself, and went home. There, he sent and called for his friends and Zeresh his wife.
- Haman recounted to them the glory of his riches, the multitude of his children, all the things in which the king had promoted him, and how he had advanced him above the princes and servants of the king.
- Haman also said, "Yes, Esther the queen let no man come in with the king to the banquet that she had prepared but myself; and tomorrow I am also invited by her together with the king.
- Yet all this avails me nothing, so long as I see Mordecai the Jew sitting at the king's gate."
| Esther 5 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי ביום השלישי ותלבש אסתר מלכות ותעמד בחצר בית־המלך הפנימית נכח בית המלך והמלך יושב על־כסא מלכותו בבית המלכות נכח פתח הבית׃
- ויהי כראות המלך את־אסתר המלכה עמדת בחצר נשאה חן בעיניו ויושט המלך לאסתר את־שרביט הזהב אשר בידו ותקרב אסתר ותגע בראש השרביט׃ ס
- ויאמר לה המלך מה־לך אסתר המלכה ומה־בקשתך עד־חצי המלכות וינתן לך׃
- ותאמר אסתר אם־על־המלך טוב יבוא המלך והמן היום אל־המשתה אשר־עשיתי לו׃
- ויאמר המלך מהרו את־המן לעשות את־דבר אסתר ויבא המלך והמן אל־המשתה אשר־עשתה אסתר׃
- ויאמר המלך לאסתר במשתה היין מה־שאלתך וינתן לך ומה־בקשתך עד־חצי המלכות ותעש׃
- ותען אסתר ותאמר שאלתי ובקשתי׃
- אם־מצאתי חן בעיני המלך ואם־על־המלך טוב לתת את־שאלתי ולעשות את־בקשתי יבוא המלך והמן אל־המשתה אשר אעשה להם ומחר אעשה כדבר המלך׃
- ויצא המן ביום ההוא שמח וטוב לב וכראות המן את־מרדכי בשער המלך ולא־קם ולא־זע ממנו וימלא המן על־מרדכי חמה׃
- ויתאפק המן ויבוא אל־ביתו וישלח ויבא את־אהביו ואת־זרש אשתו׃
- ויספר להם המן את־כבוד עשרו ורב בניו ואת כל־אשר גדלו המלך ואת אשר נשאו על־השרים ועבדי המלך׃
- ויאמר המן אף לא־הביאה אסתר המלכה עם־המלך אל־המשתה אשר־עשתה כי אם־אותי וגם־למחר אני קרוא־לה עם־המלך׃
- וכל־זה איננו שוה לי בכל־עת אשר אני ראה את־מרדכי היהודי יושב בשער המלך׃
| Esther 5 Text (Latin)
- Die autem tertio induta est Esther regalibus vestimentis, et stetit in atrio domus regiæ, quod erat interius, contra basilicam regis : at ille sedebat super solium suum in consistorio palatii contra ostium domus.
- Cumque vidisset Esther reginam stantem, placuit oculis ejus, et extendit contra eam virgam auream, quam tenebat manu : quæ accedens, osculata est summitatem virgæ ejus.
- Dixitque ad eam rex : Quid vis, Esther regina ? quæ est petitio tua ? etiam si dimidiam partem regni petieris, dabitur tibi.
- At illa respondit : Si regi placet, obsecro ut venias ad me hodie, et Aman tecum ad convivium, quod paravi.
- Statimque rex, Vocate, inquit, cito Aman ut Esther obediat voluntati. Venerunt itaque rex et Aman ad convivium, quod eis regina paraverat.
- Dixitque ei rex, postquam vinum biberat abundanter : Quid petis ut detur tibi? et pro qua re postulas ? etiam si dimidiam partem regni mei petieris, impetrabis.
- Cui respondit Esther : Petitio mea, et preces sunt istæ :
- si inveni in conspectu regis gratiam, et si regi placet ut det mihi quod postulo, et meam impleat petitionem : veniat rex et Aman ad convivium quod paravi eis, et cras aperiam regi voluntatem meam.
- Egressus est itaque illo die Aman lætus et alacer. Cumque vidisset Mardochæum sedentem ante fores palatii, et non solum non assurrexisse sibi, sed nec motum quidem de loco sessionis suæ, indignatus est valde :
- et dissimulata ira, reversus in domum suam, convocavit ad se amicos suos, et Zares uxorem suam :
- et exposuit illis magnitudinem divitiarum suarum, filiorumque turbam, et quanta eum gloria super omnes principes et servos suos rex elevasset.
- Et post hæc ait : Regina quoque Esther nullum alium vocavit ad convivium cum rege præter me : apud quam etiam cras cum rege pransurus sum.
- Et cum hæc omnia habeam, nihil me habere puto, quamdiu videro Mardochæum Judæum sedentem ante fores regias.
| Esther 5 Text (KJV)
- Now it came to pass on the third day, that Esther put on her royal apparel, and stood in the inner court of the king's house, over against the king's house: and the king sat upon his royal throne in the royal house, over against the gate of the house.
- And it was so, when the king saw Esther the queen standing in the court, that she obtained favour in his sight: and the king held out to Esther the golden sceptre that was in his hand. So Esther drew near, and touched the top of the sceptre.
- Then said the king unto her, What wilt thou, queen Esther? and what is thy request? it shall be even given thee to the half of the kingdom.
- And Esther answered, If it seem good unto the king, let the king and Haman come this day unto the banquet that I have prepared for him.
- Then the king said, Cause Haman to make haste, that he may do as Esther hath said. So the king and Haman came to the banquet that Esther had prepared.
- And the king said unto Esther at the banquet of wine, What is thy petition? and it shall be granted thee: and what is thy request? even to the half of the kingdom it shall be performed.
- Then answered Esther, and said, My petition and my request is;
- If I have found favour in the sight of the king, and if it please the king to grant my petition, and to perform my request, let the king and Haman come to the banquet that I shall prepare for them, and I will do tomorrow as the king hath said.
- Then went Haman forth that day joyful and with a glad heart: but when Haman saw Mordecai in the king's gate, that he stood not up, nor moved for him, he was full of indignation against Mordecai.
- Nevertheless Haman refrained himself: and when he came home, he sent and called for his friends, and Zeresh his wife.
- And Haman told them of the glory of his riches, and the multitude of his children, and all the things wherein the king had promoted him, and how he had advanced him above the princes and servants of the king.
- Haman said moreover, Yea, Esther the queen did let no man come in with the king unto the banquet that she had prepared but myself; and to morrow am I invited unto her also with the king.
- Yet all this availeth me nothing, so long as I see Mordecai the Jew sitting at the king's gate.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
This article is a stub. You can help WikiChristian by expanding it. For help please read the WikiChristian Tutorial and our writing guide.
Return to Christianity -> Bible -> Esther